What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

Just leaving this mindset nugget here

56ED6C42-1702-4C78-94B2-083427CE76D6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

More swing work. I feel things are coming along. Just needs reps to ingrain. Videos in my breaking 90 thread.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S [back up and on life support Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" ]

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in proV1 at some point)

:Arccos:

Was rained out from my backyard wedge practice so I brought it indoors.

Hitting some 50* wedges into my daughters nesting doll box set...the stackable numbers...

It feels like skee-ball practice...no broken windows yet...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Had a good range session yesterday.  Was back at my usual driving range which I prefer since I can see where the ball lands and carry my balls nearly to the fence at the end of the range.  Did my normal wamup through the bag and then had another pretty focused session on driving.  

The Motore X vs Ventus testing is getting really interesting for me now.  I'm pretty much dialed in on settings.  Both -1* and Neutral lie (I will probably play around with the draw setting another time).  Ventus has the weight in heel, Motore X has the weight in the toe (makes sense to me based on the added stability of Velocore).

I was swinging fast today (for me!)  I had exactly 1 driver swing below 110. (108 with Ventus) and several up over 114 on the swing speed radar.  I'm nearing the point where I feel confident in saying the Motore X is about 2MPH faster on the radar than the Ventus.  Part of this is going to be the 1/2 inch longer length, but I have been gripping down a touch on that one, so I think it's mainly due to the shafts profile.  But what good is that if it doesn't lead to more ball speed and distance right?

It seems like Motore X may be a few yards longer in carry, so as long as the spin is in check should lead to more total distance.  I was carrying the ball further up the hill at the range than with the Ventus on average and even had a few that flew/one-hopped the fence!  That's always been my goal so it was exciting to see (sorry driving range owner).  

I'll get a chance out on the course tomorrow and hopefully will see some of this work translate, or my back will be stiff and I'll hit weak cuts all day... but here's to hoping for a good day!  I still need to get some real Ball speed/spin numbers on the two shafts, but the Motore X showed me enough at the range to at least earn a start tomorrow. 

One of the bombs from the day... I believe this was 114MPH swing speed per my radar.  I'm usually in the 108-111 range historically with the Speedzone/Ventus combo:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

10 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Had a good range session yesterday.  Was back at my usual driving range which I prefer since I can see where the ball lands and carry my balls nearly to the fence at the end of the range.  Did my normal wamup through the bag and then had another pretty focused session on driving.  

The Motore X vs Ventus testing is getting really interesting for me now.  I'm pretty much dialed in on settings.  Both -1* and Neutral lie (I will probably play around with the draw setting another time).  Ventus has the weight in heel, Motore X has the weight in the toe (makes sense to me based on the added stability of Velocore).

I was swinging fast today (for me!)  I had exactly 1 driver swing below 110. (108 with Ventus) and several up over 114 on the swing speed radar.  I'm nearing the point where I feel confident in saying the Motore X is about 2MPH faster on the radar than the Ventus.  Part of this is going to be the 1/2 inch longer length, but I have been gripping down a touch on that one, so I think it's mainly due to the shafts profile.  But what good is that if it doesn't lead to more ball speed and distance right?

It seems like Motore X may be a few yards longer in carry, so as long as the spin is in check should lead to more total distance.  I was carrying the ball further up the hill at the range than with the Ventus on average and even had a few that flew/one-hopped the fence!  That's always been my goal so it was exciting to see (sorry driving range owner).  

I'll get a chance out on the course tomorrow and hopefully will see some of this work translate, or my back will be stiff and I'll hit weak cuts all day... but here's to hoping for a good day!  I still need to get some real Ball speed/spin numbers on the two shafts, but the Motore X showed me enough at the range to at least earn a start tomorrow. 

One of the bombs from the day... I believe this was 114MPH swing speed per my radar.  I'm usually in the 108-111 range historically with the Speedzone/Ventus combo:

What the guy didn’t know you were videoing!?! Nice shot! Ready for a round!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

2 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

What the guy didn’t know you were videoing!?! Nice shot! Ready for a round!

he got me twice! both on good shots.  I didn't upload the other one where he went by with his bag 🤣

• Haha 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

19 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Nice shot!

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

48 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Have fun out on the course with the Motore X tomorrow. Get out there and hit some of those filthy bombs. 

On a side note on your video, I left the volume on the Bluetooth speaker in the bathroom and played the shot. It scared the daylights out of my wife. Oops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, sirchunksalot said:

Have fun out on the course with the Motore X tomorrow. Get out there and hit some of those filthy bombs. 

On a side note on your video, I left the volume on the Bluetooth speaker in the bathroom and played the shot. It scared the daylights out of my wife. Oops.

I didn’t like the sound of the epic at the sim but it’s fantastic outside. I’m sure they Bluetooth really amped it up!

• Like 2

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

7 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I didn’t like the sound of the epic at the sim but it’s fantastic outside. I’m sure they Bluetooth really amped it up!

Now I'm going to have to go in there and listen to it. 

Edit: I did and it sounds a lot better than the original Epic Flash. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

2 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I’ve noticed center hits have a great meaty sound. It’s gets tinnier out on the perimeter, but that’s good for feedback and encourages me to hit in the middle. Hahaha

• Like 4

I’ve been working on my posture and grip at home and at work in front of the mirror 

• Like 3

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

3 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Edit: I did and it sounds a lot better than the original Epic Flash. 

What is this, the new trend in equipment testing?

"Well the shaft felt a little boardy and the toe hits are more penal than some others, but hot damn it sounded so awesome in my bathroom that the toilet spontaneously flushed itself. It's going in the bag ASAP!"

• Haha 6

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

21 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

"Well the shaft felt a little boardy and the toe hits are more penal than some others, but hot damn it sounded so awesome in my bathroom that the toilet spontaneously flushed itself. It's going in the bag ASAP!"

Now that’s funny 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

24 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Are you saying the Epic Flash created an Epic Flush??!!??  🤔

• Haha 3

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Went to the range, but saw a friend so I decided to play 9 with him. I’ve been trying to get my knuckles to turn down through impact, while turning the hips better. Did ok with that. My Mavrik SZ 4w showed-up just before I left for the course so I had a chance to hit it a couple times. Ugh, the grip was HORRIBLE. Put the R1 rangefinder into action, and I learned quickly I needed to have read the directions! 😂 Lastly, put my Cobra driver head on the extra Xphlexxx Busa Liquid 2 shaft I had that’s cut to play at 45.5. Put the 10g weight in the rear, and a 2g up front and it worked VERY well! I may like this combo a lot!!! Rained on the 8th hole so we didn’t finish, but it was nice to play with someone I hadn’t played with in years!

• Like 8

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Finally, finally, after too long of trying on the driving range to get rid of an unwelcome hook, I took a lesson with a pro to take a look at my swing. My brother had a lesson with him before I did, so I hit some range balls in the next stall while I waited. Fifteen minutes in to my brother’s lesson, the pro looked at me and said, “I can see your issue—no worries, I can help you fix it.”

It feels really good to hear from someone about what’s going on with my swing. Can’t wait to get back to the range to work on it tomorrow, followed by a couple 18-hole games over the next week.

• Like 6

DRIVER :ping-small: G410 PLUS 10.5°  TENSEI CK ORANGE 60 S  |  IRONS :mizuno-small: JPX 900 FORGED 5-PW  PROJECT X LZ 5.5

FAIRWAY :ping-small: G410 3/14.5°  PROJECT X EVENFLOW BLACK 85 6.0   WEDGES :cleveland-small: CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°

HYBRIDS :ping-small: G410 19°, 22°  ALTA CB 70 RED   PUTTER :ping-small: KARSTEN ANSER 33"

BALL :wilson_staff_small: DUO U

BAG :1590477705_SunMountain: FRONT 9 LH  |  PUSHCART :Clicgear: ROVIC RV1S 

I had a really productive session this morning before work. Worked on my driver posture, I had my son film me at home hitting foam balls and I saw that I was really hunched over, almost like I was hitting an iron. I worked on standing a bit taller and feeling more like I was swinging around my body and it paid off almost immediately. Solid strikes, almost all with just a slight baby fade at the end. I did hit a couple of nasty slices earlier on but not stressed about those. Irons were solid and hit wedges to the 50 and 75 yard markers as well. Hoping to get out for 9 tomorrow after work, we'll see how the driver behaves! 

• Like 6

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Just had my first lesson ever today. Really enjoyed it, was great see my swing on video and compare feel vs real. Turned out my body was doing too much work and left hand not enough, and way too long of a backswing. Was a weird feeling for awhile but towards the end really started to get the hang of it. Excited to practice more with it and go back for some more help, especially with my wedges and chipping! 

• Like 7

To berklybob and Ben_Howell good luck with your lessons and progress.  I will look forward to reading about it!!!

I've switched teachers and am going the video route for the first time.  I received my lesson on Monday and had plenty to work on without swinging a club.  My new teacher wants me working on three things, most importantly grip - getting the left hand more on top of the shaft - I've been working on this hard all week and even brought a club to work in order to practice some there.  Next is a posture tweak to get the weight more from my heels to the middle part of my feet.  Finally he wants me to try and initiate my swing with my core.  I've worked on that one in front of the mirror.

Those who have played with me know as do those who have seen one of the videos that I've posted of my swing in reviews that I have a slight Matthew Wolff move as I start my swing.  My teacher had nothing negative to say about that.  In fact he generally liked my swing and felt that my problems with consistency and shallowness would improve greatly with a better grip.

It's been a very busy week at work, a death, final wedding preparations for next week and Vacation Bible School with over  100 kids and COVID cases on the rise in our community - very, very busy but lots of fun with the kids.  So I finally got to the range for the first time this afternoon at 3:30 - 110 degree heat index at that time but a nice little sea breeze kicking in and some overcast on occasion making it feel better.

I'd love to say that I crushed shot after shot straight as an arrow.  What I did do after a few swings is start to hit very powerful, high draws with my 9 iron. I was aiming at a pin that's listed at 125 (I knew that it was a bit more based on where the tees were set)  I shot 77 on Sunday and the last shot I hit was a gripped down 9 iron from 118 that ended up 3 feet behind the pin.  

Early on I hit some shots fat (a novelty for me of late) and then I settled in - my calibration was about 20 feet left of the pin but I hit lots of high booming shots that were flying past where the pin was.  So I measured it thinking I was wrong and it was more like 120 - shot it 4 times and it read 131 each time.  Granted I had the benefit of some help from the sea breeze but we are talking about me carrying 9 iron over 130 with ease.  Next I went with 7 iron towards a flag that was at 167.  Normally that would be 9 wood for me.  While I was short of it with the 7 iron, I switched to 6 and was reaching it with ease.  Driver was a bit of an issue at first because I lost some launch angle - I did check all 20 swings and my swing speed averaged 97 which is very high for me.  

Wedges were a huge issue = huge enough that they came out the second I got home and the SCORS went in - I need familiarity and I also need something that I didn't s..... 10 times in a row on the range - went back to the 9 iron just to make sure and that fine - also snuck in some 7 woods - everything took a bit of getting used to but everything except wedge eventually came around pretty well.

On the things that my coach gave me to work on I'd say an excellent on the grip and fair on posture and core move.

Overall it was a successful first time out.  I will hit the range again Sunday before playing on Monday.  I've also had to change my set-up routine with the grip and posture change.

• Like 9

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.