What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

Got back to practicing wedges in the backyard... 45 and 65 yards.  About 80 shots and a whole lotta sweat in the humidity but I was able to flight them lower.  I had been a little frustrated with the ball sliding up the face on most of my shots under 100 yards when i got the chance to play.  My schedule has opened up a little so I should get a bit more playing time now.  

• Like 9

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Well, today was a first for me - I had to yell FORE while on the driving range 😲

Swung by the muni to work on driver after it failed me last week on the course, there was a Monday tourney getting ready to tee off at 9 so most of the range was in use. No problem, I just went down to the left hand side, which abuts the 3rd hole. 

Note: There is NO netting on either side of this range. The newer management company took down the old nasty shredded one last season and has not replaced it, possibly due to the range needing to be relocated due to some upcoming construction.

So I go hit some wedges, all good. Hit my irons, all good. Pull the driver, intent on just working on a consistent fade which is my natural shot. When I try and force a draw, bad things happen. I hit some great shots, some not so great, then I got into a nice rhythm. 

Then I hit a pull to end all pulls. You know the one. That shot where you catch it so flush and it takes off like a rocket... just to the left.

Right out of the range onto the 3rd fairway.

Right at two carts who had come over the hill and stopped by the range.

SO YEAH... I yelled FORE! and had all the tourney players looking weirdly at me. Didn't care. Thankfully the ball landed well to the left of them, because I am not sure they heard me, or if they did, if they were even paying attention. 

I went back to wedges for the rest of the bucket.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Got out for a couple buckets to work on stuff from my lesson Saturday. Man, when I get things right, it's awesome. Still a ways to go on the consistency, but I pured a handful of irons and drivers with the new feels. Had to scale back the drivers as there was a slight breeze behind me and I put a couple over the fence. 

With irons, my goal is to get my downswing path more left. Right now it feels like I'm trying to hit a massive cut but with a closed clubface.

On the flip side, with my driver i'm needing to get more flat and swing more out to right. I found that I really need to stretch my arms out at setup or else I tend to pull back left and hit hooks. Feeling like I'm fully extending my arms got me hitting some awesome shots.

• Like 8

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.1 / Anti-Cap: 14.3 (Last Updated Oct. 9, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

12 hours ago, edingc said:

Got out for a couple buckets to work on stuff from my lesson Saturday. Man, when I get things right, it's awesome. Still a ways to go on the consistency, but I pured a handful of irons and drivers with the new feels. Had to scale back the drivers as there was a slight breeze behind me and I put a couple over the fence. 

With irons, my goal is to get my downswing path more left. Right now it feels like I'm trying to hit a massive cut but with a closed clubface.

On the flip side, with my driver i'm needing to get more flat and swing more out to right. I found that I really need to stretch my arms out at setup or else I tend to pull back left and hit hooks. Feeling like I'm fully extending my arms got me hitting some awesome shots.

Nice Cody! I’m sure it’s been mentioned before, but are you still playing the Cobras from last season? Any clubs eventually get switched out? 

• Like 2

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19*

Irons: :ping-small:  G425 (5-PW)

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* & 58*

Putter: :ping-small:  Heppler Anser 2

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

Took the T300s to the range to get some work in, wasn’t really working on anything just getting used to the clubs. At the end of the bucket I pulled out the drive and was really hitting it well

• Like 7

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Most of the local facilities have closed due to costs or covid, so I have been trying to practice in my backyard as much as I can.

I bought a dozen BirdieBalls so I could practice full swings without too much effect from the wind (like on a whiffle ball)

I hit off of a synlawn turf patch, so contact is somewhat realistic.

I have been slapping draws consistently after a grip change. This is completely new to me, my typical iron shot is dead straight with my miss being a big pull. With a hybrid, wood, or driver my miss is a 70 yard power slice.

I really need to get to a range and see if I can draw a real ball... I am afraid I am putting too much confidence in these BirdieBalls...

• Like 4

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

Went to the range on lunch today to do some Rapsodo testing.

The Motore X F3 also put the final nail in the coffin of the Ventus Blue.

0B5CDC7A-5B1B-4233-BCF9-7148F9CA97CA.jpeg.d88e60cfe33ecab16faffa37919f1564.jpeg

Those were my final 5 balls, all in “Smash Mode” with the Motore X, all pretty centered.  

Looking back it really wasn’t a competition at all.  The Motore X snuck it’s way into the bag first and never let go of the spot.  Its such a good feeling combo.  I’m looking forward to getting another round in soon so I can have more Arccos data to compare at the end of the season.  

• Like 9

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

9 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Went to the range on lunch today to do some Rapsodo testing.

The Motore X F3 also put the final nail in the coffin of the Ventus Blue.

0B5CDC7A-5B1B-4233-BCF9-7148F9CA97CA.jpeg.d88e60cfe33ecab16faffa37919f1564.jpeg

Those were my final 5 balls, all in “Smash Mode” with the Motore X, all pretty centered.  

Looking back it really wasn’t a competition at all.  The Motore X snuck it’s way into the bag first and never let go of the spot.  Its such a good feeling combo.  I’m looking forward to getting another round in soon so I can have more Arccos data to compare at the end of the season.  

Hopefully the Ventus is not feeling too bad about itself this morning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

Got out to the range yesterday focusing on getting my irons draw under control. I have been left going left lately. Figured out I needed to go be a bit more upright and getting the take away a bit more vertical as well and less flat which lead to some towering shots straight where I was aiming with a slight draw. Also hit some drives with the Max LS and it performed great even into a head wind today.

• Like 7

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

I got out for a 9 holes practice session yesterday and the hat work hasn’t disappointed me. Really working on the driver swing, not breaking my wrists early and staying with the slow tempo. Solid contact on every drive and the trajectory plus distance was killer. The wind killed some of my drives a bit but it was fantastic to see the progress. Need to go back to putting practice. Pace was bad and I missed a few 3-4 footers that will cost me

• Like 6

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

I really should try practicing.

I just play.

None of the geezers with whom I play practice either.

Oh, I'll make an appearance on the practice tee once in a great while, 

but nobody bothers to alert the media.

I do putt the practice green once in a while, but I'm not sure if I'd call that practicing.

It's mostly killing time.   

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just a perfect day here in Indiana today.  I went to a course with a great practice area and just hit a lot of chips and pitches from 25 yards to 60 yards.  Switching back and forth between my 54* and 58* to find out what feels more comfortable and yields the most consistent results.  

I found that I have better luck on pitches 40 yards and in with my lob wedge and control other shots to around 65 yards with my 54*.  At 70 yards begins my 3/4 lob wedge which is usually good for me.  Will experiment more to find out if there is merit to this.

image.png.b0f4c6a54b842b5c64a9b0532e6ec352.png

• Like 8

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

5 hours ago, juspoole said:

Just a perfect day here in Indiana today.  I went to a course with a great practice area and just hit a lot of chips and pitches from 25 yards to 60 yards.  Switching back and forth between my 54* and 58* to find out what feels more comfortable and yields the most consistent results.  

I found that I have better luck on pitches 40 yards and in with my lob wedge and control other shots to around 65 yards with my 54*.  At 70 yards begins my 3/4 lob wedge which is usually good for me.  Will experiment more to find out if there is merit to this.

sounds like you learned a lot with your experiment

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/24/2021 at 3:54 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Keep it up! The NTC stuff is gold. I haven't made it that far, yet. I'm still working on getting to A and working a lot on that. The flat left wrist is starting to come along nicely, but with things being crazy here it's been hard to do nothing other than grabbing a club and working on positioning. Like you, I hope by early next year to have it down. 

The flat lead wrist is huge!  Mine was slightly cupped before Monte changed it.  He says that it doesn't matter if it's off a little bit, but it's important that in transition, the wrist is bowing a little.  I have some of my best strikes on the ball when I feel my wrist bowing at the start of the downswing.  This was hard for me, but it's well worth it to get the wrists correct.

• Like 7

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Did another range session 3rd time this week to get used to the T300, worked on keeping the head still, I was having problems with my swing the other day and this really helped the issue, was playing a nice fade on the range. Was picking random targets some really hard angles, went pretty well, overall happy 

• Like 7

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Had to hit off mats yesterday, so my main focus was alignment. I really need to hit more greens, and my misses are right or left, not so much distance related. I need to do this every time from now on, it really helped. 
2522EF81-15CC-47EF-932A-2703FF193BDF.jpeg.41387696153b981d24410e59fd297e79.jpeg

• Like 6

:ping-small: G410 Plus 9* @ 8*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6-X

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 X-Stiff

:titelist-small: TSi2 18* Hybrid Tensei AV White Raw 90 X

:ping-small: G410 22* Even Flow Black 85 6.5 

:Sub70: CB 5,6 Dynamic Gold X100

:Sub70: MB 7-PW Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small: T20 50*, 60 @ 58* Dynamic Gold TI S400

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 54.11 Dynamic Gold TI S200 

:EVNROLL: ER5v Short Plumbers Neck 35" 

:taylormade-small: TP5x PIX

:Clicgear:  3.5+ Push Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope

:SuperSpeed:

Good range session at lunch today, took my time and just relaxed about not stressing over needing to run back to the office. Driver started out fadey but definitely straightened out. Even the fades would have been playable if I hit those during a round. Again - I need to just do my best to take that to the course. Still working on feeling like my hands are as far away from my head as possible and I'm only taking a half swing (which is pretty much a full swing, anything more than that and I'm John Daly).

Ground was soooooooo wet due to all the rain we've had this week, my iron heads are a mess now LOL. I could have hit off the mats but I just can't stand that. Irons and wedges were solid, with a few "WTF just happened there?" shots. But that's why it's practice to get those out of the way 🙂 

• Like 6

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Had a productive lesson the other day, and hoping it'll help me to reverse the regress of my past few rounds and turn it into some more forward progress!

Worked on all the usual things, including... setup, posture, takeaway, position at the top, weight transfer, path, etc etc, ... but especially to be conscious of straightening out the right arm (technically both arms, of course) coming into impact .. I have a tendency to keep my trail (right) elbow tucked in by my side at impact.

Started getting a lot more solid contact on a lot more shots, with fewer stinkers than usual, and ended up with a pretty nice grouping of virtual balls downrange (indoor lesson on a sim).

Now to work on replicating all that goodness IRL 😉

• Like 7

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Had the day off and my Mavrik Max arrived today, so after picking up my daughter from school I had to hit some balls into the net in the yard. Set up the MLM to compare my old driver to the Mavrik and also hit some 8 irons to warm up. Once my phone cools down enough to turn back in I'll have to take a look at the numbers to see if the Mavrik is getting a spot in the bag. Side note: Callaway could stand to use some higher quality construction on their practice nets. Punched a hole in the target fabric with an 8 iron and one of the cords that holds at a corner snapped. 

• Like 2

Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL
3 Wood: Snake Eyes Viper Tour
Hybrids: Snake Eyes Viper Tour 18 and 24 deg
Irons: Srixon I-701 5-PW
Wedges: Callaway X-Forged 50, 54, and 58 deg
Putter: Yes! Marilyn