What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

I took an hour and hit my Sub 70 JB 55* wedge. I have a flag and cup mounted in the yard and was hitting 80 yard shots. This club hits lasers. I just need to figure it out in the bunkers. I'm used to my Cleveland CBX 56* which has a wider sole gives me a good splash out of the sand. The JB wants to dig. It's a work in progress. 

• Like 6

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Four wedges, four hula hoop targets in the backyard and twenty slightly dog-chewed BirdieBalls .. plus one retriever dog not retrieving the BirdieBalls but giving them a little bit more of a chew ...

BirdieBall_practice.jpg.bf623a42e2e973490c48b25853d9f6fb.jpg

He did snag two or three on the fly and several on the first bounce (so maybe he did "better" 😆 at his practice than I did at mine!).

Haha, but did work on laddering out and in with one wedge at a time to each of the four targets, picking up the newly slobbered-on BirdieBalls, changing wedges and laddering in/out again .. trying to focus on setup, weight shift, club/hand path and especially *focusing on the ball* as I've come to realize I've fallen back in to old, bad bad bad habits including looking up before contact 😞 Took me a few reps to get going before I could focus more closely on the underlying intent of the drill = better control of short/partial wedge distances!

• Like 7

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

30 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Haha, but did work on laddering out and in with one wedge at a time to each of the four targets, picking up the newly slobbered-on BirdieBalls, 

If you were using real balls I would throw in the penalty flag. Slobber reduces spin! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Watched a few videos on plumb bob putting 

went to practise the technique.  Didn’t seem to work for me. I got more confidence croutching down on the low side and walking along the line to get the sense of slope.  Just another technique that confuses me and makes me lack confidence when I try to setup a routine for putting 

• Like 4

Tried two putting practice drills this week

1. Took two knitting needles with a fine thread connect them and stuck in the ground and putt ball under the line with my eye over the line 

2  Buy a yardstick and ball on top on the yard stick and putt ball trying to keep ball rolling on the yardstick 

Surprising I like the 2nd drill with the yardstick  keep me focus on in good roll on the ball. Plus it may be more aware how much i was turning the blade and not keep the putter square for a 3 foot putt

The knitting sticks with line I think was bit too unnatural   Tried a few times and I don’t see the line like that when I’m putting good. I prefer a wider path like toilet paper roll  as I like to adjust speed with line 

• Like 4

In the range   I usually think about ball position at the end of the season  Also had various ball position and tried to make one ball position work but never does 

In general I play my iron much better with ball middle or forward of middle and taking a divot in front of the ball with slightly downward hit

Today working on my fairway wood my swing speed is not high enough to carry a 3w so I been using 19 degree   The best ball position is for that club is related to my left shoulder girdle and and move my feet so it’s more closed and tend to get a draw 
I have to trust the loft and hit slightly down 

If I level off I tend to hit a pull hook 

For the driver since I tee it so high I have to tilt my upper body and put more weight on my right side I relate the ball to my right hip in a 3-D perspectives and stand open and hit up   My diver been good to me this year Either a straight or straight fade that is manageable 

Another thought comes to mind is playing the irons well with either a square stance or open stance 

When I had to hook the ball played ball position more like my FW and ball opposite my left shoulder and my feet automatically closed without me thinking.  

Edited by Haro
  • Like 3

This is not about how I practiced (though I'm working on hip turn), rather it's about this fearless/stupid guy. It's misty, so I was in the stalls. As I was about to start my takeaway with a driver, this maintanence guy walked right in front of me, about 15 yards out, and went to the closest aiming pole (52 yds) to start working. I never saw him coming, and he never looked at me after I noticed him. A driver at that distance could be fatal! He then spent 10 minutes digging around the pole. It was so close to my target line that I just couldn't hit shots. I sat down and waited for him to finish. If it had been any longer I would have moved, and also made a complaint.PXL_20210921_132907741.jpg.c559500b4f61e95e06be0b4573400c1c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Hmmm 1

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

There was a topic on another golf forum about 'my new favorite practice drill' and the poster was really quite ecstatic about how its helping him with his game - turns out it's the Harvey Penick "Slow Motion Drill" ... so for any of you who have "The Little Red Book" please go read (or re-read) this section.

I'm going to be doing this drill / exercise regularly from now on!!

Interestingly in another section of the book called, "The Mythical Perfect Swing", he mentions doing this drill with a weighted club (I happen to have, amongst the training aid collection, an old Medicus weighted iron).

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

I’m confident (or so I think 😆) my 2 year quest to find irons that fit my current game is done … got the G425s in the mail yesterday, and immediately visited the range with the 8i and PW. 

Happy with the range session and don’t want to get my hopes up, but they’re great thus far. Photo below is from 8i and I’m liking its ball flight and distance.

D7FCFF07-611B-4B5B-B732-D9FCD261663E.jpeg.abdca8dfcb5d507f7f2b8c3ca7c6a1e4.jpeg

Still working with the swing thought of “back like Finau, thru like Fleetwood” … my short term project with the Maltby TS1s, while lovely and feel amazing when well struck, I just don’t play enough to game them consistently … and they weren’t gelling with the above swing thought. 

Next step is to find a GW that blends well with the set. 

• Like 8

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19*

Irons: :ping-small:  G425 (5-PW)

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* & 58*

Putter: :ping-small:  Heppler Anser 2

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

I was going through my videos of yesterday's range session, and I was really on my toes. My pro came out and helped me with my move off the ball, and was noticing me holding onto the face instead of releasing the clubhead. I know no one said swing changes, and breaking habits were easy, but I was really close to just throwing in the towel. Today I am going to work on half swings and try to feel a punch shot to add some compression to my irons. Baby steps 

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus 9* @ 8*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6-X

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 X-Stiff

:titelist-small: TSi2 18* Hybrid Tensei AV White Raw 90 X

:ping-small: G410 22* Even Flow Black 85 6.5 

:Sub70: CB 5,6 Dynamic Gold X100

:Sub70: MB 7-PW Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small: T20 50*, 60 @ 58* Dynamic Gold TI S400

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 54.11 Dynamic Gold TI S200 

:EVNROLL: ER5v Short Plumbers Neck 35" 

:taylormade-small: TP5x PIX

:Clicgear:  3.5+ Push Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope

:SuperSpeed:

Had a really busy week and had to put off going to the range until Late afternoon Friday.  I felt pretty inspired  after watching the Ryder cup all day while I worked.  Unfortunately, today was one of those days where I was just off.  My plan was to hit the first half of a large bucket focusing on distance and accuracy then use the second half to work on the my pitch and chip swing.  I'm retooling my pitch and chip method using Stan Utley's book (It's more handsy than I'm used to) but I can see the advantage already.

Right from the get go everything felt off.  After about 10 shots trying to find my swing I realized I needed to reset and I switched to some nice easy pitches.  That went okay but I was still off so I tried another reset by pretending to play some golf holes.  That too was a grind but it got me into a slightly better rhythm and I 'played' 9 holes that way.    I finished out the bucket chipping and pitching which was also still a grind.

Moving on to the chipping green.  I'm going to need more practice with this but I think the swing that I'm learning from Stan utley's book and watching some youtube videos of him is going to be very good for me in the long run.  I'm still working, through some flubs and skulls, but the stuff that does get to the green ends up pretty tight.  Looking forward to seeing how it works in play.

Overall it wasn't a particularly good session but I'm proud of myself for not trying to fix my swing when I was just having an off day.  It felt just like a grindy round where your swing is a little off and you just have to grind out a result.  

• Like 6

:taylormade-small:  Driver R1 -- Fujikara ventus red S (non velocore) 

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Fujikara Speeder V7.0 S

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°, 5I 24° , 6I 27°, 7I 31°, 8I 35°, 9I 39°, PW 44°  -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 48degree 

Ksig 52 56 & 60

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

Spent about an hour in the backyard working on some short chipping.  Took a handful of balls and chipped them towards a tree stump trying to get them as close as possible.  Going back the other way, there is a line extending from the house where some cable was buried a few months back with about twenty feet or so past that to the fence.  I tried to chip to that line and get it to stop before the fence.  

My chipping game is terrible.  I was mostly trying to get more of a feel for how I was setting up and swinging the club.  I pull a lot of my chips to the left (when I don't flub them completely) and I think I'm a little more cognizant as to why.  Baby steps.

• Like 4

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Pinemeadow 52° 56° 60° 64° wedges

PIng Anser putter

Trying to figure out a reliable system for the 60-90 yard distance   Practicing my follow thru position to the L position to 9 o’clock seem to give me approximately 60-75 yards with two different wedges.  Longer follow through to 10-11 o’clock gets me to 90 yards 

• Like 4

I was at the range for an hour practice session. Started by working my swing back into form since I haven’t been playing much after the birth of my son, target practice to all the locations, then I worked some 40-50 yard feel type wedge shots, I like to finish with a simulated round. I know the course pretty well so I simulate one of the 9 holes. It’s a nice way to get some practice in and wind down the session without feeling like you didn’t hit all your shots. Hardest part is getting the feel for my tempo back. I really have a slow tempo and not hitting consistently has made me want to jump at the ball and ramp up to get speed and distance 

• Like 4

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

I'm in full try hard mode so bear with me.  I'm finding that writing down what I practiced has been very helpful.  

Finished reading through the Stan Utley "Art of the short game" and went out for an hour this morning to work exclusively on pitching, chipping, and sand shots.  Not that I'm surprised that a PGA pro and former PGA winner would have good advice, but man did it feel instantaneously game changing.  I spent about 10-15 minutes hitting some chips the way that I normally do just to get a baseline for the difference.   Then I spent about 15 minutes running through all the prep drills he has in the book about balance, stance, club release, and grip. 

After that I started taking shots....  No joke, it was instantaneously better -- night and day difference.  Obviously there were some struggles. It's very different than what I was doing.  That said, even while adjusting to a completely different way of doing things, it was just flat out better.  Easier to repeat right off the bat, more consistent distance wise, and much easier to control.  I spent about 30 more minutes working on chips and pitches from various positions and lies between 5-15 yards off the chipping green then I hopped into the bunker to practice some sand shots. 

The bunker method he teaches is also is game changing.  The narrow,  handsy swing he teaches feels very controlled and I find myself being able to swing at a comfortable speed.  I'm not exactly throwing darts yet, but they're all coming out onto the green and landing softly.  Plus and I'm finally getting that satisfying thwop sound.

I know its not a silver bullet, but I feel very optimistic about my short game for the first time in a while and I might actually be able to build it to a comfortable enough point that I'll trust it.  

Edited by Syks7
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°, 5I 24° , 6I 27°, 7I 31°, 8I 35°, 9I 39°, PW 44°  -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

Ksig 52 56 & 60

10 hours ago, Syks7 said:

I'm in full try hard mode so bear with me.  I'm finding that writing down what I practiced has been very helpful.  

Finished reading through the Stan Utley "Art of the short game" and went out for an hour this morning to work exclusively on pitching, chipping, and sand shots.  Not that I'm surprised that a PGA pro and former PGA winner would have good advice, but man did it feel instantaneously game changing.  I spent about 10-15 minutes hitting some chips the way that I normally do just to get a baseline for the difference.   Then I spent about 15 minutes running through all the prep drills he has in the book about balance, stance, club release, and grip. 

After that I started taking shots....  No joke, it was instantaneously better -- night and day difference.  Obviously there were some struggles. It's very different than what I was doing.  That said, even while adjusting to a completely different way of doing things, it was just flat out better.  Easier to repeat right off the bat, more consistent distance wise, and much easier to control.  I spent about 30 more minutes working on chips and pitches from various positions and lies between 5-15 yards off the chipping green then I hopped into the bunker to practice some sand shots. 

The bunker method he teaches is also is game changing.  The narrow,  handsy swing he teaches feels very controlled and I find myself being able to swing at a comfortable speed.  I'm not exactly throwing darts yet, but they're all coming out onto the green and landing softly.  Plus and I'm finally getting that satisfying thwop sound.

I know its not a silver bullet, but I feel very optimistic about my short game for the first time in a while and I might actually be able to build it to a comfortable enough point that I'll trust it.  

Making me want to go back and read my art of the short game book. Sounds like it is working fo you.  

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 9/27/2021 at 8:35 AM, RollingGreens said:

Hardest part is getting the feel for my tempo back. I really have a slow tempo and not hitting consistently has made me want to jump at the ball and ramp up to get speed and distance

+1 on that. I'm very much a tempo player as well ... and like you, I tend to rush my downswing, and in consequence of that, lift my left shoulder and turn my head toward the target just prior to contact with the ball. 

A golf buddy suggested to me of having the ever so slightest pause at the top of my backswing, like Spieth somewhat does, and then initiate my downswing ... and it really does help and work for me. I'll mentally have to focus on that for about 5 to 10 swings, but then it becomes an ingrained tempo for the rest of the range session or round. 

• Like 3

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19*

Irons: :ping-small:  G425 (5-PW)

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* & 58*

Putter: :ping-small:  Heppler Anser 2

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

Making me want to go back and read my art of the short game book. Sounds like it is working for you.  

I think what's making it work so well is that I literally didn't know some of the foundational stuff he's describing.  I'm fully self taught at this point, and while that's been good for me having developed a reasonable natural swing for myself, it would have been a considerably less painful journey if I'd understand a couple fundamentals earlier.  There's one drill that he uses to explain what the club release motion feels like where you hold the club palm down with your trail hand and your elbow at your side then you rotate it clockwise to palm up and let the weight of the club release like you're trying to hammer a nail with the heel of the club.  I did that drill for the first time and thought, 'wow', that's exactly what it feels like when my swing feels right.  It's just one subtle little part of the swing that I could feel when things were going right, but had no idea how to recreate when things felt wrong.  I think that little drill is going to help me with all of my clubs.

• Like 1

Ksig 52 56 & 60