What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

Small bucket on the range this morning working on setup and aim. Lots of shots went left on me the other day and after setting up some aim sticks I was hitting more in the direction of my targets. Just trying to remember to keep things simple when I aim and set up so I can pull the trigger and go.

• Like 8

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Now that the season is over for the golf masses here in Ohio, I enjoy the solitude on our course and I practice the shots that gave me problems during the year … on the course. Our back 9 is mostly side hill, up hill, & down hill shots. So while I don’t divot up the fairways, I do find a spot in the rough that is near or equivalent to where I end up on a round. Our greens have recently undergone aeration, so trying to hit 3 balls into them from 100-150 yds out is not going to take a toll. I do repair my ball marks WHEN & IF I hit one 😝. My up hill and up / side hill shots have improved, but it’s tough getting a down hill shot up, in front of an upslope. I push that shot a lot … if I get it up that is. No wise cracks please.

• Like 8

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

Took my wedges to the range to practice what I've been working on in the back yard.  It went very poorly(even trying my stork pose).  I finally hit the point of frustration that I took a breather.  I spent 10 minutes putting short 3-4 footers to clear my head.  I came back to the chipping green, scattered the tube of 20 balls randomly around a 10-15 yard area and decided to forget about thinking about the mechanics of what I was working on and just to focus on hitting the ball.    Let's just way that it went exceptionally well immediately -- I spent 30 minutes chipping and pitching after with really good accuracy (a lot of shots in my high make zones, a lot more holeouts than I've ever had in a session, and only a single shot skulled into oblivion.   

At first I thought, 'Man you should have just done that from the beginning,' before but then I realized that all that frustration and drill work had built the muscle memory to allow me to hit those shots without consciously thinking of mechanics.  It was one hell of a window into how I practice and how to translate that practice to actual play.  That little insight combined with my latest re-reading of Golf is Not a Game of Perfect has landed me on what I hope is going to be my goto swing thought of the future -- "Trust your swing, focus on hitting the ball"

• Like 7
  • Love 1

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red S (non velocore) 

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 63 G35t

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- Fujikara Speeder 70

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°, 5I 24° , 6I 27°, 7I 31°, 8I 35°, 9I 39°, PW 44°  -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV

I took the day off after playing 4 of the last 5 days.  Headed to the range.  😱

IMG_1476.jpeg.00286a9132410441b96d02118275a0e3.jpeg

I think it's a little early for the mats to come out, but apparently the clubhouse didn't think so.  I hate these mats, and they have been around every winter for the past 5 years.  I'm surprised they have lasted so long, but that's why they bought them I guess.  Very thick and spongy!  Every iron shot goes much higher than from the turf.  The mats don't have tees; we are allowed to hit drivers off a tee in the grass between the mats.  It can get a little dicey when someone is on a mat and I'm hitting driver from the grass right behind him.  Spacing looks fine now, but after a week or so when they move them back a few yards, some will be much closer together.  They are heavy!!

Didn't spend much time here; moved to the chipping and putting greens.  Might be a good thing that I will spend more time on my short game.  I need it!

• Like 6

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Went to the practice pitching/chipping green to work a little on the short game.  Tried to maintain a consistent trajectory and tempo through the shots.  Felt pretty good by the end and hoping it translates to the course for more tap ins after my chips.

• Like 7

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Went to the course after work to work on my shortgame.  Hit a couple of hundred chips and pitches of various distances and it went really well.  Only had a few shots that weren't center face and solid contact.    I am hoping they are wrong about this weekends weather as I am eager to get out to the course since I haven't played in 3 weeks.  

• Like 9

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

had a lesson tonight tonight. spent most of the time working on my 80-100 yard wedge shot. 

my coach suggested i play that shot with a higher lofted club and use a full swing instead of a partial wedge.  he also thinks my wedges are too uptight and recommended bending them 2* flat

we worked on keeping the weight a little forward, and a low, outside takeaway with the hands. it wasn’t perfect, but by the end, everything felt pretty good and the chunks were gone. 

finished up with some drivers. we played with tee height, stance, and ball position to try and bring my ball flight down. 

i definitely ended on a high note 

B96EDFE6-9D1B-4DC2-ABAE-749C112BE275.jpeg

• Like 9

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

12 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

had a lesson tonight tonight. spent most of the time working on my 80-100 yard wedge shot. 

my coach suggested i play that shot with a higher lofted club and use a full swing instead of a partial wedge.  he also thinks my wedges are too uptight and recommended bending them 2* flat

we worked on keeping the weight a little forward, and a low, outside takeaway with the hands. it wasn’t perfect, but by the end, everything felt pretty good and the chunks were gone. 

finished up with some drivers. we played with tee height, stance, and ball position to try and bring my ball flight down. 

i definitely ended on a high note 

B96EDFE6-9D1B-4DC2-ABAE-749C112BE275.jpeg

That is a bomb, any changes with the driver I know mentioned you felt that some where really spinning up on course.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° :Fuji: Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:mizuno-small: 5 - PW JPX 919 HM Pro :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed

Tracked by :ShotScope:

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

That is a bomb, any changes with the driver I know mentioned you felt that some where really spinning up on course.

driver is still at 6* 

we changed a few things to get me delivering the club better. 

stance is open to get my hips out of the way and promote a fade, which is my preferred ball flight 

ball is teed lower - top of the ball just about even with the crown of the driver because i don’t need any help getting the ball in the air

ball is a touch further forward in my stance to make sure my AoA is positive to prevent gear effect. 

i’m still not making perfect contact, but at the beginning of the session i was seeing balls spin at 4300+ and balloon out to 240/250

• Like 5

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

driver is still at 6* 

we changed a few things to get me delivering the club better. 

stance is open to get my hips out of the way and promote a fade, which is my preferred ball flight 

ball is teed lower - top of the ball just about even with the crown of the driver because i don’t need any help getting the ball in the air

ball is a touch further forward in my stance to make sure my AoA is positive to prevent gear effect. 

i’m still not making perfect contact, but at the beginning of the session i was seeing balls spin at 4300+ and balloon out to 240/250

Sounds like some good changes. On the last one that last one being 5 up with your speed is probably pretty good given all that speed you have there. Hope you see more bombs in the future

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° :Fuji: Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:mizuno-small: 5 - PW JPX 919 HM Pro :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed

Tracked by :ShotScope:

I practice in April.

I'm roughly half-way between practice sessions.

Very admiring of the dedication, however.

It may have served me well at some point.

I've been getting a lot of traction out of _not_ hitting golf balls (..plus it's helping save the old, achy back for an actual round)...

..been doing the Slow Motion Drill, including breaking it down into pieces; vary using just an old steel shaft, a weighted trainer iron and even trying it with an Orange Whip.

Finally starting to understand the body movements and positions my instructor has been trying to drill (literally) into my aging brain 🤪

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Got the Rapsodo to finally work today: 

6C9F0CDA-2105-4132-854F-741A03FAC4F8.jpeg.26a4f18e32e1947f88b223e0f9e3a1dc.jpeg

nice little indoor session focusing on ball striking. 

• Like 6

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies (15*) 

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Combination of testing/tweaking and practice today. Threw some grips on my 7-iron and PW along with some strips of lead tape to find out where I liked them for SW with the new Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 shafts. Using these as my test clubs before I put the rest of my irons together because I wasn't sure if I wanted to try an MOI matched set. Turns out I do. 7-iron performed best at a D4 and the PW at a D6 using 3/8" steps. Will put the rest together somewhere along the line later today. Except for the wedges. Those will have to wait because of some screwy mistakes thanks to the less than trustworthy individual that put the Rifle shafts in years ago. Live and learn right? 

Haven't swung an iron in a few weeks because of the shaft situation so I just wanted to get some swings in. Everything seemed good so I took out the HiBore XL and it's potential replacement to compare side by side. I've been working on some speed training drills so I wanted to see where I was at. I'm continuing to see steady, slow progress as long as I clear the 17,000 thoughts out of my head. The more I think about the mechanics of my swing, the tighter my body goes and it really restricts me. 

• Like 5

Driver: Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu
3 Wood: Snake Eyes Viper Tour, Aldila NV
Hybrids: Snake Eyes Viper Tour 18 and 24 deg, Aldila NV
Irons: Srixon I-701 5-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120
Wedges: Callaway X-Forged 50, 54, and 58, Nippon Modus3 Wedge 115
Putter: Yes! Marilyn

32 minutes ago, RichL85 said:

I'm continuing to see steady, slow progress as long as I clear the 17,000 thoughts out of my head. The more I think about the mechanics of my swing, the tighter my body goes and it really restricts me. 

... I played with 2 beginners yesterday in their mid 20's and both have been playing a little less than 1 year. One of them froze over the ball, clearly tensing up after 2 very deliberate practice swings and hit some horrendous shots off the tee. Dribbled one about 10yds, ran and grabbed it and was gonna hit it off the tee again. I said "Try this once. Step up with no practice swings and take no time at all and just swing the club." He hit his best drive of the day and said he was so uncomfortable doing it he just couldn't do it again. He agreed it was his best tee shot but said it was just a lucky drive because he didn't even have time to think about what he was doing. 🤪  

• Love 1
  • Haha 7

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I played with 2 beginners yesterday in their mid 20's and both have been playing a little less than 1 year. One of them froze over the ball, clearly tensing up after 2 very deliberate practice swings and hit some horrendous shots off the tee. Dribbled one about 10yds, ran and grabbed it and was gonna hit it off the tee again. I said "Try this once. Step up with no practice swings and take no time at all and just swing the club." He hit his best drive of the day and said he was so uncomfortable doing it he just couldn't do it again. He agreed it was his best tee shot but said it was just a lucky drive because he didn't even have time to think about what he was doing. 🤪  

Did you tell that was the whole point of playing... not thinking what he was doing??

• Haha 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Did you tell that was the whole point of playing... not thinking what he was doing??

... He was pretty adamant about "keeping his routine". I did what I could and hopefully planted a seed that grows down the line. I usually never give unsolicited advice but it was so painful watching him I felt I had to this time. 

• Like 6

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Brought out my old Odessay 9 putter. Toe hang and heel shafted. Not many players use it on tour except Mickelson.  
Immediately felts really good putting on the green. Something about the design makes me forward press for shorter putts.  I like letting the club rotate and swing naturally from long distance   For shorter putt I tend to forward press and lean the shaft ( it feels my way to reduce putter face rotation. ) 

I think modern putter designs are too complicated for me. Need to go back in time once in a while to figure out my stroke 

I’m pretty sure most of today’s putter shaft insertion like plumbers neck. And the goose necks have a built in forward lean now that I think about it. I really didn’t need to forward press those types of putter  For whatever reason I kinda miss that part of my routine with the old style putters

Edited by Haro
  • Like 3

Got the Skytrak up for a bit for some last minute numbers for my review of the T100-S.  It was such a nice day that I decided to go to the range - Bad Idea!  By that point, I had made so many swings that I could not get through the bucket and my timing was gone.  

I'm playing on Wednesday at one of my favorite courses in the area - The Fort Golf Course in Indianapolis and hoping I have it back by then.  

• Like 6

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"