What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

It’s getting to cold to play but still like to go out for a practice my putting.  Seems like there’s something new that I figured out. 
Few weeks ago I was wondering if was better to “swing the arms” or “rock the shoulders” to power/initiates the putting stroke

Both worked along with depending on the type of putter that suited that style 
Today I discovered a third way. More of a “waist initiating “ stoke Kinda like belly putting Butt end always pointed to my midline. I would stand pigeon toe lock up the knee and lift up the putter when I straighten my knees and my arms would “hold the finish”with a “pop” stroke.  
Was effected but very different feeling with my arms   Usually my arms would swing like a pendulum or slightly more follow through than backswing. 
This time my follow through very short never past my front foot.  Surprising my distance control for short putts just as good as long distance putts   Only draw back was I had to modify my routine for breaking putts as I need more “lag speed” for those type of putts 

My arms felt very different. it serve more to “hold the line”. I was was used to releasing my arms.  However if I did the putter face would rotate too much off line 

The drawback was I was having a hard time with breaking putts.  However if I modify my routine and set up so that I initiate the putting stroke with my shoulder blades instead of my waist. Don’t have to lock my knees or doing anything lower body it was a smooth stroke. Could develop more touch with that type of stroke 

That type of stroke felt like when I belly wedge just off the green.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I've been trying to get some video of swings with the Sub70 849 Pro recently for review purposes and noticed I am not getting very good wrist set.  So I worked on that last evening and could see a difference in the 5 & 6 iron ballflight especially.  A little more distance and I didn't feel like I was jerking through the impact zone to get it.  I just have to remember that swing thought the next time out.

@Kenny B  the course looks like its in great shape.

We still have spots in fairways and a couple of tee boxes that were really stressed out this summer with 118º heat; mostly just dirt.  The local rule for these spots in the fairway is free relief no closer to the hole, because we don't have manpower to mark all spots as ground under repair.  They did mark them for the Men's Club Championship, but not for the Ladies Club Championship!  🤔

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hit the range after my 9 hole round, wasn't thrilled with my irons. Lots of low shots, even more so than I normally hit. Ended up being ball position, which irks me. I know I kind of moved quickly through my round since I have a lot of work to get done, but not aiming and setting up properly are just poor form. Once I worked that out with a small bucket I felt much better. Ended with some solid driver shots, tossed 6-7 balls to my buddy who was a few stations down so I could leave on a high note.

• Like 8

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

On 10/13/2021 at 10:25 PM, Kenny B said:

Do you have a course nearby where you can do the same thing on grass?  This is one of my favorite things to practice when I go to our course.

Unfortunately, not really....

There is one muni nearby with a small chipping green that's more clover and patchy rough vs grass, but it is reasonable for practice; plus there's a small, shallow kinda bunker, too. 

Another muni has an ok practice bunker, but no chipping area. And another muni has a really good putting green, but also no chipping area. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Speaking of practice greens...

Went to a nearby muni with what I think is a really good putting green .. but, at least the times I've been there, it's only very lightly used. Today I had the whole thing to myself (and it was totally beautiful Spring-like weather here!).

Started out practicing reading break / slope with the help of a digital level that has a % slope readout for AimPoint style reads. Then about another 45 minutes rolling mostly long- and medium range putts uphill and downhill and across all kinds of breaks/slopes.

Then off to the range to work with the wedges (off of mats) - first up was 4 wedges at the same approx 75 yd target; then some time with the PW at the 100 yd flag; then took a few swipes with the recently re-shafted 3W (..has potential but more full swing work to be done!); and finished off hitting different kinds of shots with the LW.

Good sesh 👍

• Like 6

I went to the range just before lunch today and I had hit about a 1/2 a bucket of balls. THEN the man next to me starts talking to me… He didn’t stop until I finally went to my car! UGH!!! 
So, I went home and came back around 5pm, having the range to myself. I hit half of the large bucket doing drills with my 8 iron, then I hit the rest with my two drivers. I was more consistent with the Cobra than the Max LS, and the feel/sound was better as well. Ended the day on a good note!!!

• Like 8

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

9 hours ago, PMookie said:

I went to the range just before lunch today and I had hit about a 1/2 a bucket of balls. THEN the man next to me starts talking to me… He didn’t stop until I finally went to my car! UGH!!! 
So, I went home and came back around 5pm, having the range to myself. I hit half of the large bucket doing drills with my 8 iron, then I hit the rest with my two drivers. I was more consistent with the Cobra than the Max LS, and the feel/sound was better as well. Ended the day on a good note!!!

I see an opportunity to recommend wireless headphones for range sessions. 🤣

Glad to hear there was a happy ending. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

Yup if I’m at the range by myself headphones all day. Only person I’m talking to is @B.Boston at the range 😂

• Like 3

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

I've used foam earplugs with a high NRR rating!

• Like 2

So great quote, re: practice (and I'm paraphrasing), from the immortal Lee Trevino --

"Too many people when they practice, they know exactly what they did wrong.

Baloney!!

Come back in a few days and you'll see them back doing their old bad swings again."

This was in a vid clip on Instagram, he was talking about ball position ...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CUp9H-aJ5RT/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Yup if I’m at the range by myself headphones all day. Only person I’m talking to is @B.Boston at the range 😂

And your golf game is probably better off not talking to me at the range. 😂

• Haha 3

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

6 hours ago, bens197 said:

I actually have a couple sets, and the crazy thing is that dude had some on when HE was hitting! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

4 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

So great quote, re: practice (and I'm paraphrasing), from the immortal Lee Trevino --

"Too many people when they practice, they know exactly what they did wrong.

Baloney!!

Come back in a few days and you'll see them back doing their old bad swings again."

This was in a vid clip on Instagram, he was talking about ball position ...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CUp9H-aJ5RT/?utm_medium=copy_link

Excellent 👍

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

I actually have a couple sets, and the crazy thing is that dude had some on when HE was hitting! 😂

The lack of self-awareness is exhausting sometimes isn't it?

• Like 6
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Took a little over an hour hitting through my irons now that the new shafts are in. Just hit into a net with the PRGR to get a baseline for gapping. I'll take them to the range or the nearby executive course later this week to see the full ball flight, but I wanted to get a sense of the feel and swing weights with the set based more on an MOI match.

Also took a number of swings with driver as that is much more inconsistent than my irons. That part is a work in progress. Tore open a blister on my finger about 10 swings in with driver so the idea of working on speed training went out the window. 

• Like 8

Driver: Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu
3 Wood: Snake Eyes Viper Tour, Aldila NV
Hybrids: Snake Eyes Viper Tour 18 and 24 deg, Aldila NV
Irons: Srixon I-701 5-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120
Wedges: Callaway X-Forged 50, 54, and 58, Nippon Modus3 Wedge 115
Putter: Yes! Marilyn

Guess I would count today as practice. Played 27 holes to get a groove with new irons and a new 3 and 5 wood along with a new putter I modified in my condo last night. Over played 27 holes in one under at my club in VA then went to the range to hit some wedges in the wind. The 54 is getting swapped out and the 58 is staying. I hit too many full shots with the 54 and the PM grind is just not cutting it. Going back to my 54 I had made for me in the MD4 along with a driver shat change. Overall hit it well today and looking forward to 18 tomorrow. 

• Like 7

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* MMT 60x

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15* MMT 70x

:callaway-small: Apex UW 17* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 6.5

:callaway-small: X Forged UT 24* MMT 105TX

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 5 - AW Steelfiber 115x

:callaway-small: PM Grind 2.0 54* $ 58* KBS $ Taper 120 Black

:ping-small: B90

Jumbo bucket today. Used the prgr to see my distances. Pretty dead on. Was stroking my 7i ~165 with beautiful flight. Driver SS max was 107. Some hit on the screws. Realize I really need to let my trail atm extend through the shot or I lose them right. Also found my distance from the turf with the super. A couple at 245 total. Might need to play with the shaft a little. Started getting super tired and driver was not working when I was trying to play a simulated round on the range. Thinking I might try a lighter driver shaft (currently 75g rdx blue) for more speed and less fatigue. 

worked on some short sided chips as well as thick rough chip/pitches. Both worked well. Need the high bounce SW for thick stuff and the 58 works great short sided. 

Lag putting as well. About 6-10 within 5 ft with one holed from 40 ft. Decided to end on that note. 

• Like 5

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

Decided on a whim to stop at Goodwill and I'm glad I did; I walked out with a couple Grand Hawk hybrids and two Titleist Vokey SM7 wedges.  The hybrids are decent upgrades but the wedges are huge!  

Naturally I had to try them out so my son, daughter and I went to the range to each hit a bucket.  She's coming along nicely; she just used an 8 iron and her swing and striking are getting much more consistent.  

The new hybrids are different than I'm used to; they look more like woods but with shorter shafts.  The Vokeys are tremendous, just feel and sound way better.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 and 5 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and Cleveland 588 56° wedges

PIng Anser putter

Went to the range again today, making it three days in-a-row hitting balls or playing. I hit about 50 balls with the 9 iron JUST working on rotation and impact drills, then I hit 20 balls with the Cobra driver using a couple yardage posts as a guideline for a “fairway”. All went well, and the Cobra secured its spot in the bag for a little bit. 

• Like 3