What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

Did some wedge work in the yard at halftime of foolsball game. Have a tree in the middle of the yard that's split in the middle, which leads to a small window to hit through. Figured to myself if I can hit it through the window at all that's pretty good haha. Long term goal being to do it with some consistency which means I am doing a great job controlling direction and ball flight.

• Like 5

My aiming with the putter was getting inconsistent. Went back to odessay 9 to practice and immediately had some confidence.  There something about flow neck that is pleasing to me eye 

For the longest time whenever I was looking at a pumblers neck or double bend putter was “ugly” neck design to me but I rolled the ball better.  when I hold the putter cross handed the neck didn’t bother me at all but when I held the putter conventional seem like I was using the tool in the toolbox the wrong way 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 3:19 PM, sirchunksalot said:

There was a guy next to me hitting some G710 irons and we got to talking about the time I had 5 balls left. We discussed equipment, lessons, frustration with the game, courses, etc.... My last 5 shots were probably the crispest of the day. I could feel better center face contact and better dispersion. 

DUDE! You've unlocked the mystery .. the hidden secret .. the holy grail .. of the game!!
..just casually chat about golf gear and the golf game before every shot!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

6 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

DUDE! You've unlocked the mystery .. the hidden secret .. the holy grail .. of the game!!
..just casually chat about golf gear and the golf game before every shot!!!

Well, that didn't work!  Maybe it only works for @sirchunksalot.  

I was chatting with my 81-year old golf buddy on the range today.  That was the best part of my practice session!!

• Haha 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ok, time to get myself back on-track in the theme of this thread.

Have coming:

1. T300 53 degree wedge (set wedge)
2. Miura K-grind 2.0 58 degree head

Going to simplify my short game a bit. Greenside bunker and rough will use the 58. Chip shots just off the green or shorter from the fairway, 9 iron (more of a bump and run). If its a really short chip, just off the fringe for example and not puttable, GW. More than 50 yards, probably the 58 until i get to the point where it transitions to the distance of the 53. In essence, the 53 becomes a full wedge swing club. 

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Found a range in Longview, TX, to do my swing drills, then played a little course across the street just for fun. I didn’t have a laser, and there wasn’t any GPS for this course, so it was all guesswork. It was pretty fun to just hit some shots, work on some things, and just be care free. Weather was perfect!

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Back at the range after taking a few days off.  Today I decided to skip the short game work and hit a medium bucket.  I mostly just wanted to hit my new to me m2 & my 3wood with the cut down diamana blueboard shaft that the M2 was wearing when I bought it.  I tinkered with both getting the M2 to D4.9 -- heavy for most but kind of my sweet spot. I could only get to D8.9 so I figure I'll counter balance it later to bring the swingweight down.   

In keeping with the practice for purpose I decided I should also work on my trail arm and takeaway helping my hip turn and also generating a bit more lag and leave the Driver and the 3wood in the bag till the end of the session.  Takeaway, trail arm, and hip turn is something I've been working on since I posted my swing and RickyBobby pointed it out.  Like most things I work on it was rough for a while but is now feeling pretty good and is for the most part naturally feeling part of my swing now.  The only issue I have with it is getting it to work with another 'feel' part of my swing, wrist position at the top to help me shallow the club.  It's a little bowed, not DJ bowed, but enough that the feeling I'm looking for is almost like I'm trying to slap my self in myself straight across the shoulder blades with the shaft of the club.  So today I spent some more time getting those two 'feel' parts to gell together.  Worked on that for about 30 shots and when it started to feel a little more natural I started to work in adding some lag.  Initially and occasionally throughout the rest of the bucket that resulted in some hilariously fat shots (trenches) as I tried to release the club.  However it also resulted in some longer iron shots (for me) shots when I got it working right.   

Throughout the iron practice I also threw in something I've been watching videos on -- working the ball using body position and clubface orientation.  I didn't try to adjust my swing path.  I literally just set up a little open or closed, adjusted the club face toward my target, and went about  practicing my swing.  So... if that's all it takes to work the ball, I'm a little embarrased about how much time I've spent trying to adjust my swing path to shape the shot I want.  It works shockingly well.

At the end of the bucket I let myself hit my M2 & 3W -- which in retrospect, after all that practice, is not a bad time to hit my driver and woods.  I hit some very solid, for me, 240-250 carry drives with the M2 (clearly I'm still in the honeymoon period) with a nice easy swing. Then tried to put a little more stank on it with some additional lag and takeaway tempo increase  and saw the longest carry number I've ever seen off my swing caddie -- 280 -- along with a jump in swing speed to 107 and smash factor of 1.44 (I'm usually averaging right around between 99 and 103 with your standard amateur 1.42 mediocre smash factor.)  The kicker is that it was straight.  Next up was the 3wood.  I'm very happy with this shaft, I was ripping that right from the get go both off the deck and on the tee.  Even my mishits seemed be be picking up decent distance.

Overall, a very fun session that felt like I was actually doing something other than beating golf balls to death.

Edited by Syks7
  • Like 4

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red S (non velocore) 

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 63 G35t

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- Fujikara Speeder 70

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°, 5I 24° , 6I 27°, 7I 31°, 8I 35°, 9I 39°, PW 44°  -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

First time touching a club in 3 weeks and first time at a range that wasn’t pre round warmup. Wanted to focus on just making shorter swings. Even with that thought inn the back swing I was at about full backswing length.  Watching the swing and ball flight in the video it’s an ok looking swing but once I broke it down some old flaws are prevalent but with the lack of any practice this year I’m not surprised. Hips don’t get any depth in the backswing and I lose some connection with the arms and chest from rotation of the left arm. Wrist set was late so club gets behind me instead of vertical at left arm parallel. In transition hips spin out rather than left hip back and I don’t cover the ball with my chest. At club parallel in the down swing the toe is to far up and right arm is stuck a little bit, but I’m able to save the shot with some rotation. 

Winter work is going to be spent working on the drill I posted a few weeks back with the alignment stick on trail hip

B1A3EC6C-F193-41A9-9241-8E46DBD597B3.jpeg

C80B9CCF-6960-4740-8881-A8E193A5F2D8.jpeg

2F2F7883-BE64-4BD3-8CCD-B249FED05A32.jpeg

83EC8D18-FD9F-402C-A7F1-E571E729D49E.jpeg

73F8741C-A741-42B3-AC1D-34E6489B0CDB.jpeg

Well shucks!  I was going to say all those things that you said!  😂  Maybe start the arms a little sooner run the downswing as Monte says to get unstuck?

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Well shucks!  I was going to say all those things that you said!  😂  Maybe start the arms a little sooner run the downswing as Monte says to get unstuck?

Yeah that’s my thought process. Dan Carraher has a drill of arm swing only. Basically it’s swing arms and body will rotate. I’m the backswing thought is to set wrists late without bending right elbow then samething in the follow thru without bending left elbow. There will be some bend on both.

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Very long practice session this morning.  Spent about an hour with my wedges in and out of the sand, 30 minutes on the putting green and another 45 minutes working on full swing accuracy inside 120 yards.  

All the time and effort on my short approach game is finally starting to feel like it's going somewhere.  I had pretty much the best day with my wedges that I've ever had.  All the feel I've been trying to build for months seems to have finally come to fruition. 

I warmed up today using my 60 -- which I mostly use  to practice.  It's not super forgiving and kind of forces me to be precise.  The alternative is digging a trench and shorting the ball or skulling the ball into the next county.  After warming up I swapped it out to the more forgiving higher bounce 56 and scattered balls randomly around the green so that I wouldn't be hitting the same chip twice in a row.  To my surprise I found that I now had the touch to play it from every type of pitch and chip off every lie from the fringe to 40 yards off the green.   

Don't get me wrong I'm not exactly throwing darts yet but I'm comfortably landing on the green with all my shots from further out -- giving myself a reasonable chance to get up and down --  and occasionally threatening the hole enough that I have a very high percentage of getting up and down.   From inside 10 yards it feels like I'm going to get up and down more times than I won't.  And, from inside 5 yards, I finally feels like I have a level of control that I have putting -- I'm definitely going to threaten the hole, I might actually hole out, and I will be very disappointed if I don't get up and down. (effectively like being disappointed in not two putting)

Putting today was hit and miss.  I either had an off day or have been neglecting it a little too much.  In any case I worked on a consistent putting stroke from 4 ft, 8ft, and 10 ft.  I was just a bit off today  and didn't hole a lot from any distance.  Speed was okay but my stroke felt a little shaky.  I worked through it by putting tees down so I was forced into a straight back and straight through stroke and that seemed to help.  I finished it up by working on long uphill lags from 30 ft.  That also went okay but it resulted in a lot more low percentage 2nd putts than I would have liked.  I did manage to clean some longer ones up with 13/20 being two putts.  But there were still 7 3 putts in that practice.  I need to really work on that aspect of my game.  

On the actual range I continued my wedge focus but with full swings.  I hit PW through 60 exclusively through a small bucket of 40.  My focus was on solid contact and accuracy so I was swinging at 95% and working on distances in line with my yardage booklet.  I picked a green at 110 yards with pretend sand and water in front of it and behind it.  I used those for targets and worked up and down my wedges trying to hit each target like it was a green.   I think that if I were aiming at real greens I would have been on a solid percentage of the time and just off the rest of the time.  

All and all a very solid 2.5 hours of range time.  As always, let's hope it translates to the course.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°, 5I 24° , 6I 27°, 7I 31°, 8I 35°, 9I 39°, PW 44°  -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

Got in a lot of putting practice today at CC of VA on greens rolling close to 14. It was interesting. 

• Like 6

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* MMT 60x

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15* MMT 70x

:callaway-small: Apex UW 17* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 6.5

:callaway-small: X Forged UT 24* MMT 105TX

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 5 - AW Steelfiber 115x

:callaway-small: PM Grind 2.0 54* $ 58* KBS $ Taper 120 Black

:ping-small: B90

I put my clubs away for the winter   except my putter  

When anchoring banned was in effect some years ago  I spend the winter practicing  standard length putter and was somewhat proficient with the standard flat stick past few years  but I went back to the broom stick  this season for a while to get my confidence back 

I am convinced that anchoring is the easiest way to putt and the arm lock has me intrigued  that its a better anchoring method

I converted bellies to arm lock but seem to flat of a lie angle  I be spending  the winter months lengthening putters and seeing if I can change the lie and loft  and trying various combos

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Haro said:

I put my clubs away for the winter   except my putter  

When anchoring banned was in effect some years ago  I spend the winter practicing  standard length putter and was somewhat proficient with the standard flat stick past few years  but I went back to the broom stick  this season for a while to get my confidence back 

I am convinced that anchoring is the easiest way to putt and the arm lock has me intrigued  that its a better anchoring method

I converted bellies to arm lock but seem to flat of a lie angle  I be spending  the winter months lengthening putters and seeing if I can change the lie and loft  and trying various combos

Played a tournament the other day with a guy putting side saddle with an arm lock.  Dude was lights out.  When me missed he missed inside a foot.  It wasn't enough for me to think about converting, but there sure seems to be something about arm locking if you can get it to work.

• Like 1

I failed at getting a round in this week unfortunately but got to the range today. Have not swung a club in about 3 weeks unfortunately and we have had some of the best weather all year the past month 🤦‍♂️

I only hit 10 balls between my driver and 3 wood. Wasn’t all that comfortable today swinging them and wanted to focus on the irons.

Took videos and was noticing I was letting my wrists do the work at the beginning, got into a much better groove, glad I videoed.

My tempo feels great and I have gotten very comfortable with the shorter back swing and high finish, I find my best ball striking is this way. Going to get back into planemate in the next month or so, it’s brought me a long way in the short time I used it, looking forward to continuing the off season.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

12 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I failed at getting a round in this week unfortunately but got to the range today. Have not swung a club in about 3 weeks unfortunately and we have had some of the best weather all year the past month 🤦‍♂️

I only hit 10 balls between my driver and 3 wood. Wasn’t all that comfortable today swinging them and wanted to focus on the irons.

Took videos and was noticing I was letting my wrists do the work at the beginning, got into a much better groove, glad I videoed.

My tempo feels great and I have gotten very comfortable with the shorter back swing and high finish, I find my best ball striking is this way. Going to get back into planemate in the next month or so, it’s brought me a long way in the short time I used it, looking forward to continuing the off season.

Looking good, Mark! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Had a great session today working on this one drill, then hitting drivers. I take lessons from Tyler and this drill is finally helping me to get the feel of the swing he’s helped me create.

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Tested my new shafts today after speed training. Love the Ventus hybrid. So much more height and better face strike. The Ventus driver still tbd. Wasn’t swinging my best with either today and didn’t have my optimal tee height. Ventus is 1/2” shorter in driver than the rdx. Felt I had to swing harder with it to make it go. the Ventus also seemed to be more low on the face. I think I’ll do another range session then a couple rounds to see if the Ventus stays in my driver. Super hybrid was from the deck. Also tweaked my back somehow despite warm up and stretching 

Rdx blue 6.0 75g
  Ventus blue 6s  
Swing speed Ball speed Swing speed Ball speed
100 149 102 147
102 152 102 155
108 159 102 154
102 156 100 148
105 155 102 144
108 157 103 151
105 152 101 140
104.2857143 154.2857143 101.7142857 148.4285714

Pro orange hyb   Ventus hyb  
swing speed  Ball speed  Swing speed  Ball speed
96 138 97 123
95 134 97 134
95 121 97 142
97 142 98 142
96 137 96 129
96 139 97 132
    99 143
    100 141
    100 145
95.83333333 135.1666667 97 133.6666667

rdx blue 6.0 70g

24D92C81-1DCF-4810-8158-85E4F8024194.jpeg.82b79402fd6af87dd316a88e0a9b8125.jpeg

ventus blue 6s0A23F953-F378-45F6-BE6A-0E737A8C380F.jpeg.cf4a9b5b0253df2d19c2ebafb33ded77.jpeg

pro orange hyb

A7B98591-300C-43F0-8DA8-DAA8397AC773.jpeg.ce0cae066c75f246969823119b17c10b.jpeg

ventus hyb

D642B570-5DE9-406A-9B82-8B5E7FB912F5.jpeg.c82af8464c3699ca2a5bf11762895a5c.jpeg

• Like 8

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)