What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

On 11/8/2021 at 1:54 AM, Syks7 said:

Been working on the wedges some more.  I finally decided to cut bait on the blade style for everything except the TM 58 Hi Toe that I found and purchased a CBX2 54 to compliment the CBX2 48 I already have.  I have to say that I'm in love.  Its easy to hit and gives me a lot of confidence both full swing and with touch.  The TM 58 has 10 degrees of bounce and is awesome out of the sand and is also excellent and forgiving on short touch shots.   

We've been up at our cabin the last couple weekends and the community up there has a tricky little 9 hole par 30 executive course.  It's a course that is deceptively difficult, lots of slope, very small greens, a few very long par 3s, and some tricky driveable par 4s.  In any case, for the first time in a while, I decided to go out and do some practice rounds instead of trying to score.  Dropping a second ball when I want to to hit a shot again when it doesn't go where I want it to.  I'd almost forgotten how fun it is to do that rather than just grinding away.   It also gave me the freedom to try some different shot shapes, really get to know the greens, practice chipping on every hole, and go for broke on the Par 4s.  I didn't drive any greens but I had some reasonably simple chips from just off, including one that I almost holed for a 'practice' eagle.  Instead I settled for a practice birdie. 

I also decided to try a shot I'd hadn't attempted.  #9 is a 295 par 4 that's uphill (probably plays 330) with a very large pond that you either have to layup to the left side or that you need to hit about 270ish to clear.  I didn't quite clear it, not because I didn't hit it well enough, but because I reached into my cart for a golf ball that I know had been there heat cycling from hot to cold for two years.  As soon as I hit it I knew it was dead. Still even with a dead ball I hit it well enough that I thought it cleared the pond. (That altitude bonus at 5300 ft. is no joke).  I cannot have missed by that much.  I'm guessing it plugged into the pond somewhere around 0-5 yards short of clearing the water.

The practice rounds were honestly the most enjoyable time I've had on the golf course in a couple months.  I'd really forgotten how much fun it can be to go out with zero pressure, play, and just work on your game.

I probably play more like this than real scoring rounds since I play evening rounds alone most times.   The one down side to this is I believe my putting suffers a bit in the scoring rounds.  

• Like 3

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Took a month off to get my neck better so today ran out to the range during my lunch break .. end up trying to work on mechanics to hit the ball wasn’t trying to hit any target just wanted to hit it straight went pretty well .. was happy about it kind of rushed bc had a meeting but it felt good to be back swinging the clubs  

• Like 6

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Working on concepts from Zen putting (Dr Parent). For short putts thinking about rolling the ball down a wide path to the hole rather than specific line.  Practicing putting with ball on  a yardstick seems help me see a path   Not going to use a line on the ball.  Though what does help me in the past was having the line on the ball perpendicular to the start line.  In other words the line on the ball looked straight up and down when I looked at it side on at address and lines up with the putter face   This gives me a ball path rather than a specific line 
another concept is “holding the finish”. I feel I can hold my aim when I do this  Feeling the trail arm armpit muscles tighten for short putts at the end of my stroke. 

Edited by Haro
  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Went to the course where I play on weekends to pick-up the shaft I bought, then I proceeded to do drills, and hit 7/10/54/Driver. Hit the ball quite well! I was pleased.

• Like 4

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

When you hit balls to warm up before a round, what clubs do you practice with?

I take turns with a wedge(45/49/53/57), then a 7/8/9 iron, then 5W or 4Hybrid followed by my driver.  Just a few balls with each. At 70 yrs old I don’t want to wear out before the first tee….Lol

• Like 6

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Patriot 7W w/AccuLaunch 60 by Accuflex

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

14 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

I take turns with a wedge(45/49/53/57), then a 7/8/9 iron, then 5W or 4Hybrid followed by my driver.  Just a few balls with each. At 70 yrs old I don’t want to wear out before the first tee….Lol

I hit even less. Driver and 8 iron. About 5 of each. These are the clubs I hit on the first hole of my course. 

• Like 4

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

52 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

I used to hit 20-25 to get loose. 5-6 wedges, 5-6 mid/long irons, 5-6 hybrids, 5-6 drivers.

I've found I have better results from doing a modified speed workout with Rypstick/SuperSpeed sticks and then only hitting 8-10 balls total, four each of wedge, iron, hybrid and maybe four drivers.

It may be slightly more swings due to the speed stick warmup, but it gets me a lot more loose than just hitting balls.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.1 / Anti-Cap: 14.3 (Last Updated Oct. 9, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 Pro, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

got out to the range again yesterday on my lunch was practicing to keep my elbow in and practicing drawing the ball .. I am a natural left to right so if I miss my big misses are 50 yard slices. I feel like I swing over the top so tried to keep the ball a little further and also put an alignment stick into the ground so if I came over the top I would hit it ... with my wedges and shorter irons I was money .. once I hit the 6-4 iron the left to right start creeping back in .. but got some good work in and had to rush a little bit at the end as I had to get on a call. Hopefully be able to get back out again today.

• Like 2

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

2 hours ago, fozcycle said:

15 balls with 54 and 60 using chip/pitch swing. Then a short iron for 10 balls, mid iron for 10 balls move on to long iron and hybrid for 10 balls, fairway woods off a tee and deck and finish with driver

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My home course doesn't have a range.  Couple swing weights on my nine iron, two or three swings for the moon to crack my back, and I'm ready to shank my opening drive!!

• Haha 5

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 and 5 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and Cleveland 588 56° wedges

PIng Anser putter

Working on my putting.  Probably overthinking my putting these days. Using metronome for short putts.  Feel comfortable at 84 beats per minute. After a while I would count in my head. 
Read the putt

take 2 practice strokes 
count

1 backstroke 

2 forward stroke 

3 keep head still

4 swivel my head to see the ball go into the cup 

Edited by Haro
  • Like 6

Did my last day of practice/driver testing before I shut it down for a month to let the shoulder heal... been battling a torn labrum in the right shoulder.  Anyways, worked on standing closer to the ball (noticed in a MLM video I was starting to reach at address).  So I basically stand uncomfortablly close (Furyk close) to make sure I'm rotating my lower half to clear my body through the ball and come inside to the ball.  I was able to get a really good feel with my irons and had some good drives with the Sub 70 and SIM 2.  Very happy with the swing right now... just wish I could get out a play a few times to capitalize on it!

• Like 9

:taylormade-small:  SIM2 8* Diamana S+ Stiff Tipped 1"

:callaway-small:Mavrik 4W - 16.5* Tensi AV Blue Stiff Tipped 1/2"

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19* Hybrid AV Tensi Blue Stiff

:Sub70: 699U Pro 3 iron HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

:Sub70: 699 Pro Black 5-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff Black

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 48* 54* 58* True Temper Dynamic Gold Spinner

Putter:

:titelist-small: See the source image Phantom X5- Current Gamer

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Black on Black on Black

:Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: . Pro V1 

Currently testing: Sub 70 848 Pro Driver 

On 11/10/2021 at 7:35 AM, Haro said:

Working on concepts from Zen putting (Dr Parent). For short putts thinking about rolling the ball down a wide path to the hole rather than specific line.  Practicing putting with ball on  a yardstick seems help me see a path   Not going to use a line on the ball.  Though what does help me in the past was having the line on the ball perpendicular to the start line.  In other words the line on the ball looked straight up and down when I looked at it side on at address and lines up with the putter face   This gives me a ball path rather than a specific line 
another concept is “holding the finish”. I feel I can hold my aim when I do this  Feeling the trail arm armpit muscles tighten for short putts at the end of my stroke. 

I like the sound of the perpendicular line. I’m going to try that next time I get to the practice green!

• Like 5

:taylormade-small:  SIM2 8* Diamana S+ Stiff Tipped 1"

:callaway-small:Mavrik 4W - 16.5* Tensi AV Blue Stiff Tipped 1/2"

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19* Hybrid AV Tensi Blue Stiff

:Sub70: 699U Pro 3 iron HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

:Sub70: 699 Pro Black 5-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff Black

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 48* 54* 58* True Temper Dynamic Gold Spinner

Putter:

:titelist-small: See the source image Phantom X5- Current Gamer

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Black on Black on Black

:Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: . Pro V1 

Currently testing: Sub 70 848 Pro Driver 

11 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

I like the sound of the perpendicular line. I’m going to try that next time I get to the practice green!

I used this concept many many years ago when I started playing golf.  It did help me back then.  I totally forgot about it 

let me know how it works for you 

• Like 3

On 11/3/2021 at 9:26 PM, Padreruf said:

Working with a ½ to ¾ swing length, swinging in rhythm and not forcing anything.  Gap wedge was about 10 yards shorter than before, but I anticipated that.  Just glad to hit and not feel pain...any suggestions out there as to how I should progress

Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing -- just don't get ahead of yourself and keep going slooooww....

Also sounds like you're doing the right thing with the daily stretch and strengthen routine! There are lots of online golf-specific fitness resources .. a few have been mentioned elsewhere on the forums.

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

On 11/8/2021 at 1:54 AM, Syks7 said:

Been working on the wedges some more.  I finally decided to cut bait on the blade style for everything except the TM 58 Hi Toe that I found and purchased a CBX2 54

Interesting I'm currently leaning the opposite way after gaming a CBX2 54 this season... Really like my CBX (ver 1) 60 but on my 54 I think I'm preferring the feel of a blade style wedge... As always: work in progress!

• Like 3

Was working on some armlock putts indoor the last few days and noticed that I am pulling my putts, but almost like a hook in that they appear to start out straight towards the hole but then end up left of hole. This occasionally happens with a standard putter as well.

What I realized is that although the putter face was aligned toward the target, my shoulders were pointed towards the hole rather than parallel to the target. Sort of like how some people line up to hit a draw with a wood/iron. I used the shaft of my armlock to first set my shoulders parallel to the hole and then setup and now im hitting my putts straight.

I also tend to have this same type of unintended shoulder alignment on full swings as well, it has been called out to me by a teaching pro before. 

• Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

8 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I also tend to have this same type of unintended shoulder alignment on full swings as well, it has been called out to me by a teaching pro before. 

I have a tendency to setup with my shoulders opened up a bit .. and yeah any small mis-alignment can lead to big swing problems... As always: a work in progress!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Interesting I'm currently leaning the opposite way after gaming a CBX2 54 this season... Really like my CBX (ver 1) 60 but on my 54 I think I'm preferring the feel of a blade style wedge... As always: work in progress!

I totally understand that, it was either that or another TM Hi Toe, and I decided to err on the side of a comfortable full swing.  Interestingly enough I'm getting better distance out of the CBX54 than I was out of the blade 52 that I had.  It's a lot more forgiving and so far with a very small sample size it's been pretty lights out with a less than 50% touch swing and out of the sand too.  

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red S (non velocore) 

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 63 G35t

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°,5I 24°,6I 27°,7I 31°,8I 35°,9I 39°,PW 44°-- True Temper Elevate Tour 

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV

Played two limited short game only practice 9 hole rounds recently .. ie. just one wedge and a putter .. chip/pitch onto the green when within like 40-50 yards.

I'd strained my right-side middle back over the summer and also think I may have torn an intra-? inter-? -costal muscle across the ribs on the right side .. so was trying to lay off of full swings .. so no practice and very little playing time...

First of those practice rounds thought I was feeling better but first 3/4 speed full-ish swing re-injured everything (yeah i know i was being a stubborn stoopit guy), so yesterday's practice round .. on probably our last mild nice day for a while .. just really took it easy.

3-putted three times in a row on the first three hole so man does that need more work!!!

• Like 5