What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

Went through the SuperSpeed protocol yesterday afternoon after warming up a bit first. 10mph higher compared to the early morning session on Thursday. Guess there is something to be said for warming up properly.

Also spent some time working on the left wrist and came to two conclusions. My swing speeds up substantially when I feel like I speed up my backswing. In actuality, it's a tiny fraction of a second faster, but I was seeing about 5mph more on clubhead speed. I honestly think my brain gets too focused on details and manipulations rather than just freely swinging the golf club. The longer I have to think about it the worse it can get. As far as actually manipulating the left wrist like I need to, the only feel that seems to stick is the idea of turning the back of my left hand to the ground.

• Like 4

Driver: Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu
3 Wood: Snake Eyes Viper Tour, Aldila NV
Hybrids: Snake Eyes Viper Tour 18 and 24 deg, Aldila NV
Irons: Srixon I-701 5-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120
Wedges: Callaway X-Forged 50, 54, and 58, Nippon Modus3 Wedge 115
Putter: Yes! Marilyn

More swinging this weekend. Haven't really been working on anything in particular other than making sure my setup is good. Tweaked my front foot so that it was out beyond my left armpit, which in turn made it easier to launch the ball because my low point shifted to inside of my feet and not in front of it. All of my left misses pretty much went away and I added some more height and carry to my shots.

I say I haven't really been working at much in particular because truthfully my only swing thought lately has been to not really have a swing thought. Just have been swinging using the Mevo+ and foot powder and just doing whatever to get it long and off the center of the club face.

Crappy angle 8 iron and 54 wedge swings from today below.

• Like 6

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.4 / Anti-Cap: 15.2 (Last Updated May 17, 2022)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Club Champion Fitting
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
21° Hybrid: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 Stiff | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Bought a new spider(again) so rolled the ball indoors today, rolling great on carpet will see on the green stuff next month. 

playing the reopened Dundonald Links better find some game to take. 

• Like 1

"C'mon be good"

I found out that I can't take a full swing with my 60º in my hitting bay... I hit the ceiling (which is a metal roof) before the net.  My, that was loud!!   😳 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Had my 1st driving lesson with the pro on Friday. Have been struggling with with a bit of a slice so wanting to get rid of that..

Mostly good - set up, ball position, hands, alignment etc just need to widen my takeaway. 

Gave me a couple of pointers and was much better by the end of the lesson. Good to get some feedback on my GC2 numbers too.

Average 158mph ball speed, 280y carry, 2200 rpm spin after dropping the head to 7.5°. 

Edited by DStar
  • Like 7

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300 

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 🆕

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 🆕

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

Trying to regain lost SS by watching some old video of my self swing when I use to have faster swing speed. One thing that helped was allowing my head to drop   I would be able to squat and  allow my head to drop with my squat. I would prefer to position my head more over my rear leg when I squat

To complete the swing I feel like preset my pelvis to be open to turn better Then all I had to do was turn on the upswing. Why the forward swing is called downswing I don’t know cause with the modern driver I m swinging up not down.  I think in the old day was different in that the iron and driver swing was down 

I think I lost that core driven swing in my old age and also i been focusing on putting and one of the fundamental is keeping my head from turning and moving up and down in the putting stroke as I try to strive for upper shoulder pendulum stroke 

This has certainly affected the dynamics of the swing which is more driven by the pelvis and leg as the kinetic change sequencing moves uP to the arms.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Haro said:

I would prefer to position my head more over my rear leg when I squat

If your head is over your rear leg you moved way off the ball and you have a large portion of your body mass on the rear leg. That’s going to lead to a lot of compensations and inconsistencies.

Watch face on views of any of the pros and see how many have their head over the rear leg or even body mass that far back. You want pressure but not mass. Watch athletic motion golf, portal golf, Chris Ryan golf on YouTube to name a few. You will see good ideas for how to move and how to get some speed p

7 hours ago, Haro said:

Why the forward swing is called downswing I don’t know cause with the modern driver I m swinging up not down.

The golf swing has a takeaway which is to the point of club being parallel to the ground. Then the is the backswing which is to whatever point a person gets to the top the swing and where the transition happens. It’s called the downswing because at this point the club has to move down to get to impact. Post impact is the follow thru. 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If your head is over your rear leg you moved way off the ball and you have a large portion of your body mass on the rear leg. That’s going to lead to a lot of compensations and inconsistencies.

Watch face on views of any of the pros and see how many have their head over the rear leg or even body mass that far back. You want pressure but not mass. Watch athletic motion golf, portal golf, Chris Ryan golf on YouTube to name a few. You will see good ideas for how to move and how to get some speed p

The golf swing has a takeaway which is to the point of club being parallel to the ground. Then the is the backswing which is to whatever point a person gets to the top the swing and where the transition happens. It’s called the downswing because at this point the club has to move down to get to impact. Post impact is the follow thru. 

I tried the center head position, I just dont have the athletic motion to squat on both leg like those who do on a trampoline. I feel more comfortable when my head mass is more over inside of my right foot instep and so when I lower my pelvis to squat I feel more springy in the right leg.

I think the ideal is to have centered head position but there are variation like the S&T where the head mass is closer to the left foot  I think as long as its not too extreme on one side or the other  the swing  will work , I feel I will develop swing speed if I have weight and pressure on my right hip to start the motion

I guess if the modern driver , too swing up is KIng to distance so in the last few years with  the observation of certain players like Justin Thomas  that "jump" I believe that the downswing is  club moves down and then up again to make contact with the ball  not just "down"so I think the terminology downswing should be replaced by forward swing

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Haro
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Haro said:

I tried the center head position, I just dont have the athletic motion to squat on both leg like those who do on a trampoline. I feel more comfortable when my head mass is more over inside of my right foot instep and so when I lower my pelvis to squat I feel more springy in the right leg.

I think the ideal is to have centered head position but there are variation like the S&T where the head mass is closer to the left foot  I think as long as its not too extreme on one side or the other  the swing  will work , I feel I will develop swing speed if I have weight and pressure on my right hip to start the motion

I guess if the modern driver , too swing up is KIng to distance so in the last few years with  the observation of certain players like Justin Thomas  that "jump" I believe that the downswing is  club moves down and then up again to make contact with the ball  not just "down"so I think the terminology downswing should be replaced by forward swing

Just my 2 cents

Yes the center head is ideal it’s how all the good players do it. If you look at any of the swings there is slight head movement laterally and vertically and there’s a range of what that movement is bit it’s still relatively centered. If you draw a circle around the head the head will move in the circle.

Yes in s&t the head/mass is more lead side focused which works because there’s no lateral movement that has to recover to get back to the ball. Moving mass laterally you not only have to get back to where you started at address but that little extra to get slightly ahead of the ball. There’s just not that much time in the swing to do that. Athletic motion golf has tons of videos on this. People have more athletic motion and ability to rotate than they realize. The problem is bad mechanics lead to improper rotation and lack of ability to rotate. I’ve seen George Gankas post videos of senior golfers in their 70s and 80s that claimed they couldn’t rotate anymore actually rotate more in less than an hour.

Like your putting you have a lot of thoughts and feels going on at one time and they are going to lead to inconsistencies in contact and play. If you time them up just right you may have a good day but if they are off a bad day can become a really bad day. I would suggest finding an instructor to work with that will use how your bodyis built to develop a swing that works for that.

Swinging up isn’t a guarantee for distance and not required. It’s optimal for most amateurs because they don’t have the swing speed to hit the ball far with a negative aoa and end up adding spin because of their swings. Hitting up allows them to come from the inside and giving the chance to reduce spin and improve launch conditions. But what many amateurs don’t realize is hitting to up on the ball is just as bad.

Thomas, Lexi and others aren’t just jumping. It’s the result of how they are using the ground and their feet. Lexi does it to help create room in her swing. But still doesn’t change the terminology used to describe each part of the swing but you can call it whatever you want.

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes the center head is ideal it’s how all the good players do it. If you look at any of the swings there is slight head movement laterally and vertically and there’s a range of what that movement is bit it’s still relatively centered. If you draw a circle around the head the head will move in the circle.

Yes in s&t the head/mass is more lead side focused which works because there’s no lateral movement that has to recover to get back to the ball. Moving mass laterally you not only have to get back to where you started at address but that little extra to get slightly ahead of the ball. There’s just not that much time in the swing to do that. Athletic motion golf has tons of videos on this. People have more athletic motion and ability to rotate than they realize. The problem is bad mechanics lead to improper rotation and lack of ability to rotate. I’ve seen George Gankas post videos of senior golfers in their 70s and 80s that claimed they couldn’t rotate anymore actually rotate more in less than an hour.

Like your putting you have a lot of thoughts and feels going on at one time and they are going to lead to inconsistencies in contact and play. If you time them up just right you may have a good day but if they are off a bad day can become a really bad day. I would suggest finding an instructor to work with that will use how your bodyis built to develop a swing that works for that.

Swinging up isn’t a guarantee for distance and not required. It’s optimal for most amateurs because they don’t have the swing speed to hit the ball far with a negative aoa and end up adding spin because of their swings. Hitting up allows them to come from the inside and giving the chance to reduce spin and improve launch conditions. But what many amateurs don’t realize is hitting to up on the ball is just as bad.

Thomas, Lexi and others aren’t just jumping. It’s the result of how they are using the ground and their feet. Lexi does it to help create room in her swing. But still doesn’t change the terminology used to describe each part of the swing but you can call it whatever you want.

I find putting my weight toward the foot by having my head justly foreward of center  makes the swing simpler aas advocated by S&T

S&T works great for the irons but i didnt like it for my driver swing. 

Yes I overthinking this 

I swing better when i just allowed head to move with my golf swing 

I think I forgotten that the swing starts form the ground up and been too overly focus with manipulation my head positions

Edited by Haro
  • Like 1

Got to hit a lot of balls at the range, primarily just doing drills. Hit 30 shots at the end as though I were playing.

• Like 7

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Spent an hour this evening going from this 20220112_172021.jpg.c88910d30db8dd7dbc469afd644d2fbf.jpg

To this

20220112_173034.jpg.88a3656123e073873c1d66e0404dc178.jpg

Weather was great so finished with around 30 drivers. No luck in getting rid of the 2 way miss, golf Gods are not with me at the moment. 

• Like 8

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 Driver

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 Irons

Mizuno MP R12 Wedges

TM Daytona 1 Rossa

2 minutes ago, Amrish777 said:

No luck in getting rid of the 2 way miss, golf Gods are not with me at the moment. 

... Oh the golf Gods are always with you, just not always on your side. 🤪

• Haha 8

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-MT SR 
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 5-Pw Forged Tec/4i FTx ... KBS TGi 85S
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

16 hours ago, Syks7 said:

An added bonus is that the weather has been great and I got one of LA's famous sunsets behind me while I practiced on Monday.  Got a round tomorrow so let's hope it's a little more feast than famine this time.

PXL_20220111_011341943.NIGHT.jpg.d16b4cf4f6533efa015b89ea9fa28a37.jpg

I do enjoy the sunsets in that area. I travel to Santa Clarita for work a few times a month. Certainly beats what I see in the valley on a normal basis. 

• Like 3

Driver: Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu
3 Wood: Snake Eyes Viper Tour, Aldila NV
Hybrids: Snake Eyes Viper Tour 18 and 24 deg, Aldila NV
Irons: Srixon I-701 5-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120
Wedges: Callaway X-Forged 50, 54, and 58, Nippon Modus3 Wedge 115
Putter: Yes! Marilyn

43 minutes ago, Amrish777 said:

Spent an hour this evening going from this 20220112_172021.jpg.c88910d30db8dd7dbc469afd644d2fbf.jpg

To this

20220112_173034.jpg.88a3656123e073873c1d66e0404dc178.jpg

Weather was great so finished with around 30 drivers. No luck in getting rid of the 2 way miss, golf Gods are not with me at the moment. 

Oh I like this might have to get a bucket and do it. Anyone complain taking a section of the green?

• Like 3

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

9 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Oh I like this might have to get a bucket and do it. Anyone complain taking a section of the green?

Nope, everyone is happy to keep their distance at the moment. Chipping green is pretty quiet in the evenings. With today being the first day of school - i would have thought the rest of the parents would be thinking like me! 

• Like 4

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 Driver

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 Irons

Mizuno MP R12 Wedges

TM Daytona 1 Rossa

Stuck at home with work but rolled 100 putts on my perfect putting mat. I think it will actually help me more than a range session would. 

• Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 9 💎💎💎 Ventus Black 6TX 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Accra RPZ Tour 472 M5+

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 23 Ventus Blue 10X

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex TCB 5-AW Modus 130X :titelist-small: T100 4 iron Modus 130X 

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.12, 60.08 Modus 125 Wedge/60.10 LAGP L Series 120 Wedge 

Putter: :ping-small: PLD Anser 

:titelist-small: Pro V1 

Warmed up and practiced with the new 3 wood tonight. Focused on pausing at the the top to keep the swing steps in step. 

will need to probably adjust the shaft length as I forgot how long Cobra are from standard. 

• Like 2

"C'mon be good"

I haven't been able to get out and hit any balls this week due to work and cooler weather, but that doesn't mean I can't work on my swing at home. 

I played this past weekend and made a discovery after struggling with my 50+ yard pitch shots that I was becoming disconnected with my trail arm. It was causing me to break out in a rash of the shanks. I made an adjustment the rest of the round and hit a bucket afterward concentrating on staying connected and it made a difference. 

Thus week, I've been picking up a club in the house focusing on that. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend to get out and work on it some more and maybe see a difference. 

• Like 8