What/How Did You Practice Today?

Golfspy_Lukes

Played 12 holes yesterday on temporary pins, trying to get my swing feels for the driver together, I have bits and pieces of the swing down such as my wrist position and left arm/elbow throughout the swing, but I vary for the finished position for my backswing. I get good results with both but nothing feels "good" at this point. 

• Like 5

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

After my round today I went back to the range to hit some balls practicing getting my left wrist to turn under through the strike. I did an old drill a coach in TX had showed me, and as soon as I just hit about 10 balls with the drill I was striping the 8 iron. If I could do this during a round!!!!

• Like 5

Driver: Honma TR 460 8.5*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 S, 45 1/4"; Ping G425 LST, Fujikura Speeder TR 661 S, 45 1/2"

hybrids: Cobra King Tec 17* and 21*, both with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105 X

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4-6, ZX7 7-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil F4, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

My swing feels like an unfolded lawn chair, so my intent right now is to simplify and just swing the club and regain some of the confidence I've lost. My wife had mentioned I played my best while SuperSpeed training, so I did a session. 

I've got way too many thoughts standing over the ball and I'm locking up over it and I'm hoping this will help. 

... One of the fundamentals of teaching I learned pretty quickly. Everyone is different and what works for you may not work for me. I am happy to hear Speed Training helps you play better as it did the opposite for me. After 3 sessions my swing was more like an exploding lawn chair LOL. I am also sure I have said this before but it is such good teaching advice: "Give out information by the teaspoon, not the shovel". Basically we can only process one thought at a time and although we can go back and forth rapidly between more thoughts, we then never fully concentrate on any of them. So try your best to have only one thought when you swing ... or even better, no thoughts! 🤪

• Like 6

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Hybrids:    :taylormade-small: RBZ Tour Hybrid 21.5* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R hy
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-9 MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 46*/50*/58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :bobby-grace-1: 6330 LTD Edition ...  33.5"
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour '23

37 minutes ago, chisag said:

... One of the fundamentals of teaching I learned pretty quickly. Everyone is different and what works for you may not work for me. I am happy to hear Speed Training helps you play better as it did the opposite for me. After 3 sessions my swing was more like an exploding lawn chair LOL. I am also sure I have said this before but it is such good teaching advice: "Give out information by the teaspoon, not the shovel". Basically we can only process one thought at a time and although we can go back and forth rapidly between more thoughts, we then never fully concentrate on any of them. So try your best to have only one thought when you swing ... or even better, no thoughts! 🤪

I'm thinking it might have something to do with sequencing and committing to the shot. I was not hesitant to try and rip one now and again and the thought process was simple for me. I'm still working on keeping better form this time as opposed to the last, I developed quite the flying right elbow and don't want to go back to that. I'm hoping practice without consequences will get me back to a better place mentally than where my headspace is now. It's crazy in there. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm thinking it might have something to do with sequencing and committing to the shot. I was not hesitant to try and rip one now and again and the thought process was simple for me. I'm still working on keeping better form this time as opposed to the last, I developed quite the flying right elbow and don't want to go back to that. I'm hoping practice without consequences will get me back to a better place mentally than where my headspace is now. It's crazy in there. 

Use the swing jacket to keep that right elbow in check. Hit balls into your net with it on. 1/2 swings, then 3/4.

• Like 3

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

13 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Use the swing jacket to keep that right elbow in check. Hit balls into your net with it on. 1/2 swings, then 3/4.

Now that the weather is warming up, that's a priority for me. I have taken the jacket out several times over the winter and used it on dry swings and really like the feel of it. Now that it's short sleeve weather, it's going to be prime time for using it. 

It really seems to work, taking swings after taking it off you can feel the ghost feels you get after using things like the Planemate. I'm really excited about it. 

• Like 6

One of the swing habits that lead to my inconsistency is the feeling of rolling my rear hand/wrist through the hitting zone. Often when I turn the face to quickly I feel it’s left of left   

trying to use the bigger muscles and more my lead arm release the club   I find that the  face will be squarer to my swing path.  

• Like 4

Really good range session today in prep for a couple tournaments end of week.  Brought some new irons I just finished building (better player category) and had a really good day getting to know them.  It forced me to really keep my tempo in a good place if I wanted to get decent contact.  Moved on to putting and just spent about 20 minutes really just working on speed and consistent stroke.  Finished with some pitching, chipping, and sand work.  Felt really comfortable and I'm hoping that today was a good pattern to repeat to get warmed up for a round.

@RickyBobby_PR

Thanks for the advice.  Broke the bucket up into manageable pieces and it made a huge difference in the session.  Warmed up from chipping to full wedge for about 15 balls then moved onto drills for 30 then spent the pretend playing holes/practicing my pre-shot routine and prep.

@DiscipleofPenick 

Also really, really great advice about the start line.  Did all of my thinking and swing thoughts behind the ball, picked my alignment point, walked up aligned, looked at the target, then hit.  No extraneous thoughts about swing or shot.  Just pictured the target then told myself to hit the ball.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0211 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue75

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 

:taylormade-small: 2 & 4 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- TT Elevate Tour 

:mizuno-small: MP60 4/PW Nippon Modus 115

:mizuno-small: T22 52° & 58°  -- TT Elevate Tour 

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV Divide

Having a bad day on the green. Long putts were good distance control but lipping out and missing entire cup from 4 feet  

I got out the mirror 

My shoulders are open and my eye alignment is open to the target 

I practice cross handed strokes and that immediately got my shoulders and eye alignment more square.  

Edited by Haro
  • Like 4

I met a friend at a simulator shop halfway between us in Lancaster this week.  We hit range shots for a while comparing launch monitor data and fiddling with some swing tweaks.  Then we played St. Andrews for the remaining time and got in 10 holes.

We opted for the ego boosting 2 putts on every green or 1 putt if within 5' since we both dislike putting on a sim.  Those dang fairway pot bunkers ate a few of our tee shots!  It was fun 'playing' holes i only have seen on TV. 

The equipment used there in that bay is a Uneekor and the data matched up with the feel I had hitting the shots.  I experimented with a MTB-X and MTB-Black and really didn't see a difference in spin or distance data between them with the driver or 7i.  I didn't do any wedge tests with them. 

It was odd that in range mode every shot for me seemed to be out to the right about 10 yards.  The flight was a slight fade as I expected and felt coming off the clubface, just out to the right a bit.  But when playing the course I did the same set up for aiming and the shots were right on target, I'm not sure what the difference was.

• Like 4

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Been checking out Matt Blois's new Youtube channel yesterday and had a realization when I found the video below. This over swinging really describes me, I always thought of it as making a 'big' turn but it make sense why I have always then struggled with the sequence and the only way I can build speed is through pulling on the club because my arms are out of sync so I can't start the downswing with my lower body, it will throw me way out of sequence. 

Since this is something I can work on in the house without a ball I started yesterday and will be committing right now to practicing 30 back swings a day were I work on this drill to get the depth while staying in a position to be in sequence. Working on one thing at a time. Will work on this until it feels more normal before then ensuring that the downswing sequence where I can start with the legs. This will likely be a long and painful change as I have over swung for my whole career. But, hey why not go toward better right?

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review)
:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke iM10 60g  6.0 | :callaway-small: Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5-PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i S
:Hogan: Equalizer 52°/56°  KBS Tour V 110 S | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 3/6/2022 at 4:32 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Jack had a flying right elbow...  😀

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 12/2/2021 at 2:16 PM, Syks7 said:

I've been mining the little 3-pars near me lately for my short game and short iron practice. 

Nice! I love Par 3s for short game / short approach practice! Unfortunately the ones in my area *are* quite popular... There's one that's similar to what you described with narrow fairways, overhanging trees, small sloped greens.

But like you said it's also a really great way to practice and a big confidence booster!

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..PXG Gen5 0811XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0 or Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45/A)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Rogue ST Max OS 4H (PX Cypher Black 50/5.0)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9 460/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

57 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

it’s all about what you do with the right elbow in the downswing.   

• Like 6

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

... Like all Pro's, Jack played everyday and that enabled him to have excellent timing. Along with being insanely talented. Nothing wrong with a flying elbow if you drop it back into the proper position, which takes precise timing. Freddie Couples comes to mind and when he is on he is scary accurate and long. But when he is off he can hit some crazy offline shots, usually a fade/slice but also blocks and double cross draw/hooks. Of course the big difference is the Pro's can recover from horrendous swings and the rest of us ... not so much. 

• Like 6

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Hybrids:    :taylormade-small: RBZ Tour Hybrid 21.5* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R hy
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-9 MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 46*/50*/58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :bobby-grace-1: 6330 LTD Edition ...  33.5"
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour '23

On 12/2/2021 at 2:16 PM, Syks7 said:

.. oops double posted

..PXG Gen5 0811XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0 or Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45/A)

ok so I actually have been practicing over the winter .. some .. occasional chipping in the garage or a short session with an Orange Whip. Had really damaged some muscles in my right side and the right side of my back and sheesh at my age it's taking _forever_ to fully heal..! 🤷‍♂️

Restarted GolfTec lessons and starting off slowly there, too, focusing on wedges and distance control for now. Also mixing in some practice time at their studio using the LM to set target greens at 100-75-50-25 and the vid monitor to check my setup.

Was feeling pretty good about what I was doing .. getting a bunch of virtual balls onto those virtual greens .. really starting to feel a better weight shift and shoulder rotation .. so got brave and took out an iron and a hybrid .. and a few ragged swipes later with each back in the bag they went!!

Despite how "good" I think I've been swinging the orange whip my full swing IRL actually hitting a ball is still very very much a work in progress.....

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

ok so I actually have been practicing over the winter .. some .. occasional chipping in the garage or a short session with an Orange Whip. Had really damaged some muscles in my right side and the right side of my back and sheesh at my age it's taking _forever_ to fully heal..! 🤷‍♂️

Restarted GolfTec lessons and starting off slowly there, too, focusing on wedges and distance control for now. Also mixing in some practice time at their studio using the LM to set target greens at 100-75-50-25 and the vid monitor to check my setup.

Was feeling pretty good about what I was doing .. getting a bunch of virtual balls onto those virtual greens .. really starting to feel a better weight shift and shoulder rotation .. so got brave and took out an iron and a hybrid .. and a few ragged swipes later with each back in the bag they went!!

Despite how "good" I think I've been swinging the orange whip my full swing IRL actually hitting a ball is still very very much a work in progress.....

If I waited until my muscles heal to play golf, I wouldn't be playing.  It's probably why I have good days and bad days... with many more bad days.  I just play through it.  

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Had a really good lesson today. Adjusted my grip and open the face, then worked on making my lower body more quiet. Man it really clicked today. I hit some really crisp pitching wedges. This really got me more shallow and lower my ball flight. My pro really suggested working on feeling hitting chip shots where I don’t use my hips, and only hit one club before I more on to another. This is the hard part for me, so hopefully I can be patient and let this sink in and not rush it like I have before. 

• Like 9

:callaway-small: Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Project X HZRDUS Small Batch Green w/PVD 60 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 15* Accra TZ RPG 362 M5

:srixon-small: ZX 3 Hybrid 19* HZRDUS Black 95 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW Project X 6.0

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50.10 Mid, 54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Full Face 60.09 Dynamic Gold TI Spinner

:cleveland-small:  HB Soft Milled #4 UST ALL-IN 34.5”

:srixon-small: Z-Star 💎

:Clicgear:  3.5+ Push Cart

:Arccos: Sensors w/ Caddie

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

Worked on the main points of my lesson this week tonight at the studio. This off-season has been an obsessive quest to hit nothing but draws: my theory being that if I play a cut/fade when I play, but practice drawing every club, my game swing will naturally become  more neutral.

set up: trying to keep my weight more centered: my tendency is to pre load my right side. My stance has gotten slightly narrow, so I worked on keeping my ankles under my shoulders.

swing: as i’ve worked on my takeaway and eliminating early wrist cock, shallowing my downswing had some unintended consequences: mainly a lateral hip sway away from my target. So I worked on the feeling of keeping my weight on the instep of my back foot, feeling like I’m screwing my leg into the ground. 

Saw a jump in ballspeed and carry: back to what I used to see when I was playing my AP3’s.

• Like 5

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to What/How Did You Practice Today?