TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Too cold and darker to practice outside. Worked on slow swings inside with foam balls. Also did some low point/ground contact work with small swings. Because I stayed inside was able to do this for 30 mins. The grind of the off-season is in full force. If only I had a good setup to practice putting inside 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Played the back 9 at Langston today and after starting par/par, shot a disappointing 47 where I left a lot of shots around the greens. Focus area for practice over the Winter is definitely my short game.

New driver continues to be awesome, was hitting a pretty consistent 260 but it's always an adventure.

I've been talking a lot of smack about how I don't want to fight the weather to play golf and "this is pretty much it for the season" but I think this could be my last round of the year.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

FYI for you fellow practice 'hos.

Related to discussions of Block vs Variable practice is this article from a Golf Science Lab newsletter I thought was interesting....

------

Have you heard of Contextual Interference?

Most of us don’t have two hours to practice.

And even if we do, are we using our time wisely? Are we practicing in a fashion that will actually improve our technique and touch, providing tangible improvement on the golf course - where it matters?

Perhaps most important, are we testing our skills at the appropriate level, to promote improvement not discouragement?

Matthew Bridge, the deputy head of school at the University of Birmingham, UK School of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences set out to find out during a recent study, taking a familiar concept to another level.

Past research has proven that random practice rather than block practice (repeating the same shot over and over) generally leads to greater improvement for skilled golfers. Conversely, novice golfers may acquire skill more rapidly through block practice.

Bridge’s study focused on manipulating the structure of practice by switching between movement tasks to create contextual interference (CI), using experienced golfers in a natural golf setting.

CI is the interference between the motor preparation for each task created by the switching.

Sequential repetition of the same task in practice (chip, chip, chip, chip, pitch, pitch, pitch, pitch), creates a low CI practice compared to a more random structure which leads to a higher CI practice (chip, pitch, chip, chip, pitch, chip, pitch, pitch).

Considerable work in both sport and laboratory movement tasks suggests that a high CI random structure to tasks in practice is superior for skill learning compared to a low CI or commonly termed blocked structure.

THE STUDY:

Bridge had 31 golfers hit 50 different shots and analyzed their performance based on the distance their ball finished from the hole.

Ready for the result?!

He split the groups into high, medium and low CI. The difference in improvement between the groups was negligible.

WHAT WE CAN LEARN FROM THIS:

Maybe the shots were too difficult in the first place. It’s important to challenge ourselves when we practice, but don’t overdo it.

Your practice and training should be customized for your skill level and the difficulty changed.

Challenge, difficulty, mistakes and errors are all great up to a point. There is a sweet spot of challenge which two researchers developed called the Challenge Point*.

[* In other words - not too easy (therefore no challenge and no improvement) and not too difficult (or too much challenge and no improvement) - aka The Goldilocks Zone.]

Bridge concludes that golfers should be mindful of the difficulty of tasks used in practice in relation to skill ability and develop approaches to assess the challenge or difficulty of practice so that it can be optimized for an individual.

-------

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I did a lot of reading about CI when I was in grad school before becoming a PE teacher. There is a lot to be said for adding CI in practice settings to enhance performance but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. For my own golf game I try to add CI more when practicing my short game. For example, will chip 3-5 shots to a close target using a 56* wedge (or any wedge for that matter) and then 3-5 shots to a further away target with the same wedge. I repeat this task always focusing on controlling changes to swing tempo to hit both shots close to the target. I do the same with putting. Hit several putts from 20' and the several putts from 5'. I've found that adding some degree of CI in the manner not only helps break up the monotony of practice but helps hone in my ability to "feel" my way around finesse shots. I haven't tried to add in CI when working other clubs in my bag but it wouldn't be that hard to find a way.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Never heard the term for it but an old coach told me about the concept years ago regarding range practice. He recommended staying out of a groove by hitting shots you might play on a hole. So driver then hybrid then wedge or 3 wood then 6 iron.

I liked to think it forced me to pay more attention vs just feeling and reacting to results.

Reading that the results weren't conclusive is kind of surprising really. That said, I will still try to avoid the groove in moderation.

Thanks for the info.
B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

If I remember correctly, CI doesn’t guarantee better results all the time, but it certainly can. I think there I definitely a place to work on a single skill repetitively. Take free throws in basketball for example. Jordan and Kobe were notorious for shooting hundreds every day. Likewise, I think there is definitely value added for working on putting drills as nauseam. But I’m terms of taking your practice to the course, I have a hard time not believing there is more benefit in working in some elements of mixing things up in various ways from time to time as well. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Worked on trail hand in the down swing today.  Focused on keeping the wrist quiet and having the palm facing forward at impact postion (no club in hand).  Followed with easy pitches with the Indi 58* using swing thought (hips lead, wrist follows - to keep the hips moving and reducing the flip princlple).  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

9 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Related to discussions of Block vs Variable practice is this article from a Golf Science Lab newsletter I thought was interesting....

------

And even if we do, are we using our time wisely? Are we practicing in a fashion that will actually improve our technique and touch, providing tangible improvement on the golf course - where it matters?

Perhaps most important, are we testing our skills at the appropriate level, to promote improvement not discouragement?

Matthew Bridge, the deputy head of school at the University of Birmingham, UK School of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences set out to find out during a recent study, taking a familiar concept to another level.

Past research has proven that random practice rather than block practice (repeating the same shot over and over) generally leads to greater improvement for skilled golfers. Conversely, novice golfers may acquire skill more rapidly through block practice.

Bridge’s study focused on manipulating the structure of practice by switching between movement tasks to create contextual interference (CI), using experienced golfers in a natural golf setting.

CI is the interference between the motor preparation for each task created by the switching.

Sequential repetition of the same task in practice (chip, chip, chip, chip, pitch, pitch, pitch, pitch), creates a low CI practice compared to a more random structure which leads to a higher CI practice (chip, pitch, chip, chip, pitch, chip, pitch, pitch).

Considerable work in both sport and laboratory movement tasks suggests that a high CI random structure to tasks in practice is superior for skill learning compared to a low CI or commonly termed blocked structure.

THE STUDY:

Bridge had 31 golfers hit 50 different shots and analyzed their performance based on the distance their ball finished from the hole.

Ready for the result?!

He split the groups into high, medium and low CI. The difference in improvement between the groups was negligible.

Maybe the shots were too difficult in the first place. It’s important to challenge ourselves when we practice, but don’t overdo it.

Your practice and training should be customized for your skill level and the difficulty changed.

Challenge, difficulty, mistakes and errors are all great up to a point. There is a sweet spot of challenge which two researchers developed called the Challenge Point*.

[* In other words - not too easy (therefore no challenge and no improvement) and not too difficult (or too much challenge and no improvement) - aka The Goldilocks Zone.]

Bridge concludes that golfers should be mindful of the difficulty of tasks used in practice in relation to skill ability and develop approaches to assess the challenge or difficulty of practice so that it can be optimized for an individual.

-------

9 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

------

THE STUDY:

Ready for the result?!

-------

oh man, I am trying to get my head around this, so many different levels of players on this site and i see that has been discussed in this post, that is a good thing. so if your goal is trying to get from a 20 index to a 15 index, you should have a game plan with your coach, from 15-10 different game plan, etc, etc. In summary if you really want to improve you should get another set of eyes that you trust to help you and follow up with you. 

I rarely practice before a round, warm up, yes, putt, yes, a few bunker shots and chips, maybe. But I evaluate my game after it is finished then go to the range, it makes sense for me to practice areas of opportunity from the day.

Just my routine. 

committed to performance excellence

8 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

oh man, I am trying to get my head around this, so many different levels of players on this site and i see that has been discussed in this post, that is a good thing. so if your goal is trying to get from a 20 index to a 15 index, you should have a game plan with your coach, from 15-10 different game plan, etc, etc. In summary if you really want to improve you should get another set of eyes that you trust to help you and follow up with you. 

I rarely practice before a round, warm up, yes, putt, yes, a few bunker shots and chips, maybe. But I evaluate my game after it is finished then go to the range, it makes sense for me to practice areas of opportunity from the day.

Just my routine. 

I love this thought process and something I personally need to get in the habit of doing after a round. 

I warm up about 3/4 of the time before a round but haven't done the range after.  I want to do a few tournaments this next year and this alone would help work out some of the small things for sure. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Block vs random is always an interesting topic.  What I have gathered from my limited reading is that it is is dependent on what you are trying to accomplish.  For learning the technique block seems to be the best method and for continued improvement of the skill you need to add randomness,   this aligns with the info that @cksurfdude posted on why lesser skilled players do better with block.   

ex.   If you are unable to consistently hit a stock shot with your 9 iron does it make sense to randomly practice working the ball or hitting it different distances?   Perhaps you have a block station setup and once you are hitting the ball consistently you move to a random station until you struggle and need to move back to the block station.   I did this over the past few years working on my short game I have a place where I hit a stock 25 yard pitch to work on the basic movements.  Once I got comfortable I moved to random locations to hit different shots.  If I struggled in any way I went back to the block area and hit the 25 yard pitches to focus on basic skills.  While not perfect my short game is showing improvement and no I need to change the block area to another skill…probably dialing in the pattern for distances.  I need to learn the pattern for each distance before I start randomizing. 

if you can’t do the basic movement pattern does it make sense to randomly change things or continue to work on the basic pattern?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If i understand the article correctly...

IMO the conclusion they presented is inconclusive since it was based on 50 shots and measuring results within the 50 shots.  I dont believe that 50 shots are enough for measuring improvement.

Lets measure improvent from one batch of 50 shots compared to the 10th batch of 50 shots that a golfer takes and see what happens.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

17 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

Well it sounds like you're doing it "right" - ie. the article did mention lower handicap golfers could get more benefit from variable practice, or working on skills; vs higher handicap could benefit from block practice or working on ingraining proper motor patterns.

..and it sounds like I need BOTH 😝 

haha but seriously that is what I try to do in my practices = some of both with no specific/set routine.

PS:

Just saw @cnosil post a little earlier where he already mentioned that about hi vs lo hcp's.

Edited by cksurfdude

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

2 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Well it sounds like you're doing it "right" - ie. the article did mention lower handicap golfers could get more benefit from variable practice, or working on skills; vs higher handicap could benefit from block practice or working on ingraining proper motor patterns.

..and it sounds like I need BOTH 😝 

haha but seriously that is what I try to do in my practices = some of both with no specific/set routine.

... Couldn't agree more about block practice for upper mid to higher index players. I have never been a fan of having a reliable stock wedge shot you practice and have down pat. The folks on tour may be able to hit it to that 95 yd spot from 280-310 out but your average mid to low index player is gonna be in a 10-20 yard circle. Hitting 25 practice shots from 95yds so you can hit that shot in your sleep, ain't gonna help much when you lay up to 75 or 115. And in may places like the hard and fast desert courses, it is even more difficult to judge the roll on your lay up shot. So practicing from 75-115 hitting to different targets will be much more beneficial to develop a sense of feel for different distances using the same club. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Didn't get this posted yesterday: Did about an hour of chipping practice, (mainly) block practice with my SW and ChipR. Started with my SW to a hole about 15 paces away working on proper form and contact. Once I finished with about a dozen balls, putted most of them out. Repeated this sequence with my ChipR to a hole about 20 paces away, followed by SW to the same hole. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Alta CB SR flex

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*) and 6H (30*) - Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 7i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft

Sub70 286 48* and 52* - Recoil DART 75 F3 shaft

Cleveland CBX4 58* - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Interesting conversation on CI. As I see it CI breaks you out of the swing habit mode. Once out of he habit mode you move the swing process into the front of your brain and that swing has your full attention. That full attention does a pretty good job of writing the successful swing into your habit stack. 

Which is exactly what I was doing at the range and putting green today. Hit balls 'til they feel right - celebrate a little - habit stack writing, then move to another club. Putting was all about angles and speed and they associated reads of the surface. 

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

7 hours ago, EnderinAZ said:

Interesting conversation on CI. As I see it CI breaks you out of the swing habit mode. Once out of he habit mode you move the swing process into the front of your brain and that swing has your full attention. That full attention does a pretty good job of writing the successful swing into your habit stack.

Yes! ..plus it ties in with the theory that enjoying and having fun with what you're practicing produces myelin in the brain, aka motor pathways aka "muscle memory" 👍 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

My typical Sunday is to practice my putting for an hour and then focus on 50 yards and in and around the green. My club has a great short game area with 3 greens and 3 sand traps. So I can get all my work in without too much interference. I then finish with an hour on the range.

Roger Beusch

Am meeting my financial planner tomorrow morning to play at Daniel Island Golf Club, where he is a member.  Got my new irons in last week, Titleist T350s and have not hit them.  Am heading over to our range today to hit a few shots to get a feel.  Have been hitting my old T300s pretty good lately and hoping that carries over.  The new models are forged and feel I need a few swings before we play in the am.  Also want to hit the new Titleist TSR1 23* hybrid that came in also.  It replaces my five iron.  Talked to my pro and fitter and we all were in agreement on this change.  Normally am not a range rat due to back issues.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Putting: Indoors, Phil Kenyon gate drill got 15/15 in a row.

Chipping: Block practice in my yard making R1 chip shots with my 56* and chipper. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Alta CB SR flex

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*) and 6H (30*) - Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 7i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft

Sub70 286 48* and 52* - Recoil DART 75 F3 shaft

Cleveland CBX4 58* - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

11 hours ago, Samuel09152 said:

I have been working on wedges for the past week. Today I started on 15 yard shots and worked back to 75 yard shots. I plan on playing a par 3 course tomorrow and trying to only using wedges. 

just wondering on your process for delivering the numbers, feel, mechanics or a combination of both? 

3 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

just wondering on your process for delivering the numbers, feel, mechanics or a combination of both? 

Yesterday was a lucky day, a lot of times if no one is at the driving range/course I go to they let me kinda mark it out to about 35 yards from the chipping green. At 15-25 yards, I’m typically working just 25 normal chips, with taking my time, and working the fundamentals and technique. I might at 15 try to do some different techniques but I’m really not very good so I’m really trying to stick to the basics. Once I go past that I usually get my Garmin R10 out and work through feel and technique at the true driving range. I will usually try to go up 5 to 10 yards every 5 shots. “Try” is the key word lol. Still working feel and technique if I don’t think the technique felt right or feel was right then it doesn’t count. Not so worried about if it’s short or long (unless it’s really off and then it doesn’t count). As I try to drop my handicap I was told work from green back, because I was working tee to green and nothing was changing. Really I should focus on putting also on chipping days but it’s not as fun to me….

Samuel Hanvey 

2 minutes ago, Samuel09152 said:

Yesterday was a lucky day, a lot of times if no one is at the driving range/course I go to they let me kinda mark it out to about 35 yards from the chipping green. At 15-25 yards, I’m typically working just 25 normal chips, with taking my time, and working the fundamentals and technique. I might at 15 try to do some different techniques but I’m really not very good so I’m really trying to stick to the basics. Once I go past that I usually get my Garmin R10 out and work through feel and technique at the true driving range. I will usually try to go up 5 to 10 yards every 5 shots. “Try” is the key word lol. Still working feel and technique if I don’t think the technique felt right or feel was right then it doesn’t count. Not so worried about if it’s short or long (unless it’s really off and then it doesn’t count). As I try to drop my handicap I was told work from green back, because I was working tee to green and nothing was changing. Really I should focus on putting also on chipping days but it’s not as fun to me….

From this post I feel you are really solid with your plan, sounds good and working on your short game will only bring your scores down, good going. 

Hit the range today - okish, not great. Hit the putting green - okish, not great.

Almost nobody out on the course so walked on for a few practice holes .. played 1 thru 4 and 9 on the front 9 - mostly okish, definitely nothing great out there from me today...

Lots of work to do over the Winter!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

For today I'll be workin on 9i-lw at some point today between meetings. Now that we are pretty much into the off-season here in MI nearly all of my practice is indoors. Usually when I get out the shorter irons my goal is to work on consistency finding the bottom of the swing. Typically very low-tech, maybe bust out the PRGR if Im trying to push something. I prefer to use my senses with these clubs and am working on feel/sound. I have a rug that I use that has been great for feedback. I am trying to get a consistent "phip" sound as the clubhead brushes the rug. If I miss there is no sound, and if I hit heavy it is a thud sound. It is simple but instant feedback. Maybe 12-15 swings each with these five clubs. 

In regard to yesterday, I was pretty excited to get 3 consecutive swings to read 120mph with driver after a SuperSpeed swing training session. The PRGR normally clocks my actual driver swings in the 114-117 range. But yesterday I had a 119, 3 consecutive 120s, and ended with a 118. So that was pretty awesome. Will see how that holds up compared to the next session which will likely be Friday morning.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | T2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: PXG 0317 22* | Standard hosel setting | Hand Crafted Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

Continuing my 50-100 swings a day routine in the garage net.  I'm trying to make a few adjustments (lower body more involved) while working on solidifying some others (Connection, takeaway, and swing plane) -- all while focusing on repeatability.  Adding, fixing, and simplifying at the same time.  🤪  No small task. 

I've taken a break from playing for the last month to really focus and it feels like it's started to yield some results in the twilight 4-5 hole practice rounds I've been out for.  I think I've gained a better understanding what 'feel's make a decent swing  for me and some check points to go back to when I'm feeling out of sorts.   Since I've been focused on generating my swing using my bigger muscles, I'm seeing a bump in power (right around up 3/4 to 1 club) and accuracy since my upper body is less geared toward generating head speed and more geared to being in the right place to deliver the club to the ball.   That's also yielded a nice jump in good contact since there's been so many low point drill swings.  I'm still using a bit more of the face than I want, but I'm making ball first contact closer to the sweet spot than I had been previously.  

Its also looking as if my stock shape has shifted across the board in my practice rounds.  If that ends up holding its going to take some adjustment on my part to shift from aiming for fade and a right miss.  I also have my  birdie ball mat set up again so I've been doing some putting drills focused on start line using some gates. 

Also figured this was worth sharing in regards to practicing with purpose.  I pulled it off reddit a few weeks ago.  Can't remember the details but it I feel like it was from someone that had played some mini-tours and still liked to keep their game very sharp.  I think it's a great example of breaking practice down into blocks to work on specific things and making the most out of 1.5 hours of practice rather than just pounding away at a big bucket of balls.

Screenshot_20231021-1255312.png.481d038d97cac9cbb6dc19aa1aabd8b1.png 

Screenshot_20231021-1255572.png.dba1563d80602ec560b609abe952dc97.png

Screenshot_20231021-1255452.png.be9fbf835799431927db399c42dece07.png

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

I recently cut my arm-lock putter down from 42" to 39.25". I was fit for a traditional putter length of 33.25 and the general discussion is an armlock should be approximately 6" longer than traditional. So today I practice for about 30 minutes with the ol' putting mirror. Trying to feel a consistent setup for every putt. Hopefully it was a success!

WITB:

Driver:  PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.pngGen4 0811X (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 S)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_35px.png.0d6d0e557d5c18a58903aaf05ed572ff.png3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.png5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:  Sub70.png.2184b0ad55dd6cf5d54509b60c419e6b.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges: Sub70.png.2184b0ad55dd6cf5d54509b60c419e6b.png  286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: Sub70.png.2184b0ad55dd6cf5d54509b60c419e6b.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:  Vice_logo.png.729a77999807d43babe4f3f658d6165c.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_35px.png.20ce36ace6486597a4b0794c46c1fd5c.pngTour S

Pushcart: clicgear_logo.png.44ad85f06b123725c8fca94cb49899a3.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

The stars have aligned for me this week.  Outings are done for the year and we have had temps in the 60’s and 70’s.  So I played 18 on Tuesday and took the Rapsodo MLM2 to the range today. 

After warming up with a small bucket I did the Combine which is 24 shots totwo specific distances. Mine were 135 and 190 yards.  You get scored on how close you hit your shots to those distances both from a distance and a lateral dispersion. 

I didn’t do to well. I rated as a 28 handicap from the 135 (7 iron) and 17 from the 195 (driver) Clearly I need to work on my iron game more.  
Tomorrow is supposed to be raining and cold. So seems like a good day to break out the Ex Putt and the EVNROLL 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Superspeed swing training session today was not bad. I modified my session today to include some work with the C club. It's amazing to me the speed differences that can be obtained from the different training club weights. Anyway, all my speed averages increase from earlier this week. As for my final 5 swings of the day with my actual driver (TSR3) I did get a single swing PR of 121mph on my 3rd swing. The other 4 swings were 119, 120, 119, and 119. So I was pretty pleased with today's session. Over the weekend I'll likely take a day off and one day of putting practice in the office.

20231110_095902.jpg

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | T2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: PXG 0317 22* | Standard hosel setting | Hand Crafted Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+