What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

Posted (edited)

It was gorgeous morning out on the range today … got out and implemented drills from yesterday’s lesson.

Happy thus far.

*video plays directly from a mobile device, requires a download from desktop site*

Edited by mikeanthony
  • Like 7

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: :ping-small:  G425 (5-PW) 

Wedges: :ping-small:  Glide 3.0 50* :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* & 58*

Putter: :ping-small:  Heppler Anser 2

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

9 hours ago, bens197 said:

I am so happy now I could cry. I’ve struggled with my right hand taking over on the downswing and I get far too steep. There have been so many ideas in my head that I’ve conjured up trying to translate into a certain feel. Today, it translated. I told myself to start feeling the back of my right hand pointing to the ground as soon as possible to prevent that takeover. It made more sense than thinking about what my left hand and wrist do through the downswing. 

Combine that with good tempo and it was so pure. Solid drivers and some super feel good 5 irons. 

FullSizeRender.MOV 119.86 MB · 1 download IMG_7730.MOV 34.35 MB · 3 downloads

beautiful swing

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35" (Backup: :1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

9 hours ago, bens197 said:

I am so happy now I could cry. I’ve struggled with my right hand taking over on the downswing and I get far too steep. There have been so many ideas in my head that I’ve conjured up trying to translate into a certain feel. Today, it translated. I told myself to start feeling the back of my right hand pointing to the ground as soon as possible to prevent that takeover. It made more sense than thinking about what my left hand and wrist do through the downswing. 

Combine that with good tempo and it was so pure. Solid drivers and some super feel good 5 irons. 

FullSizeRender.MOV 119.86 MB · 4 downloads IMG_7730.MOV 34.35 MB · 4 downloads

That's one silky smooth swing. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/17/2022 at 1:18 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I'm going to title today's range session "Hope". ...etc...

Yikes! We all feel for you.

There's an old saying that seems to fit in here:

"On the far side of failure .. lies success."

Now no one is saying it's gonna be easy to cross that divide.......

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Big Bertha B21 driver (Recoil ES 450/F3)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Epic Max 5W (PX Cypher 50/5.0)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZT9/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

10 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's a really good quote and thank you for sharing that. Things were getting bad for me both with my swing and in my mental state any time I stood over a ball. With a couple of good range sessions and some good net practices, things are looking up. If you look up @Vegan_Golfer_PNW's Broke 100 thread, you'll see his issue with an outside takeaway and I had the same problem. I think I got overly obsessed with getting the clubface outside my hands that I over compensated causing problems. 

I've spent the last week or so placing the butt end of the grip into my stomach and working on a better turn and trying to get the right feels of keeping the trail arm connected to my body instead of letting it get away. I'm seeing better contact and feeling the confidence soar. I'm still a little scared I'll move too far the other way as we tend to go to extremes with the golf swing. 

I'm planning on playing tomorrow and have it in my mind just to go out and have fun and not to get down if I make a few bad swings. I'm considering it a day just to get out and practice, scoring will be secondary. 

That should make it easier for you to not worry oe fret too much, and make the game enjoyable.

Results will come, as practice does make it easier. Have fun tomorrow. 👍

• Like 3

Driver & Fairway: Titleist TSi2 9.5  - Ventus TR 5S & TS3 15 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 

Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 - Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged - Nippon Modus 120

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50, 54, and 60

Putter: Cameron Phantom  X 5

Ball: Pro V1

On 4/19/2022 at 11:44 PM, Kenny B said:

Your results look so much better than some of your descriptions of your play over the last couple of years... chunking, skulling across the green, etc.  Looks like things are coming together!!

Thank you!! Yes - this season things are really .. finally! .. starting to click! Hitting more decent shots and fewer stinkers each time I play 👍

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Big Bertha B21 driver (Recoil ES 450/F3)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Epic Max 5W (PX Cypher 50/5.0)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZT9/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Had some time to hit the range today. I worked on something I saw on txg this last week on playing my shot shape and then working on a dependable stock shot off the tee. Arccos shows me if I reduce penalty strokes I could save 1.5 strokes a round over the last 15 rounds. I have had a bad double cross coming into play costing me more strokes than usual lately so it was nice spending time working on shaping it one way today. Hopefully it translates this weekend. 

• Like 9

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 9 💎💎💎 Ventus Black 6TX 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Accra RPZ Tour 472 M5+

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 23 Ventus Blue 10X

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex TCB 5-AW Modus 130X :titelist-small: T100 4 iron Modus 130X 

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.12, 60.08 Modus 125 Wedge/60.10 LAGP L Series 120 Wedge 

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1 

Got out this morning for a small bucket and really did my best to work on a full turn and ball position. I still want to default to having the ball closer to the center of my stance with irons, however an actual shoulder turn drastically improves my downswing and I need the ball more off of my left pec. So a lot of practice swings brushing the grass to see low point, then hitting the ball. A great side effect of understanding how a true shoulder turn feels (thanks to a lesson last summer) and starting the downswing properly leads to a much shallower divot and less feeling of slamming the clubhead through the turf. 

• Like 8

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

At the detriment to my lower back and left oblique, got in a 4th range sesh over the past 3 days this morning. 

Really want to grove in pre-shot routines and setup. Hands fwd, quite one-piece take away, compress onto and smother the ball, and lastly finishing onto my left side by rolling onto my left heel. 

Finally remembered to bring my MLM and aimed for smash factors in the 1.30 range … had quite a few at 1.30 or higher, with many of them at 1.28. 

As before, happy with the results. 

CDE4EFA4-FA0D-475B-9B6A-8B5858C6AC17.jpeg

• Like 7

On 5/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, mikeanthony said:

It was gorgeous morning out on the range today … got out and implemented drills from yesterday’s lesson.

Happy thus far.

*video plays directly from a mobile device, requires a download from desktop site*

I love how you accelerate through the ball.  Nice work.

• Like 4
  • Titleist TSI3 LAGolf DJ 65 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Official 1/12 testers for 2022 L.A.B. Golf Putters

Western, NY

5.8 Index

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I love how you accelerate through the ball.  Nice work.

Appreciate it man … seriously, thank you. 🙏🏼 

It’s something I’m working on as well, finishing thru the ball … but at the same time, there’s no water left of the green or a deep pot bunker at the front that I need to worry about. 🤣 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

Appreciate it man … seriously, thank you. 🙏🏼 

It’s something I’m working on as well, finishing thru the ball … but at the same time, there’s no water left of the green or a deep pot bunker at the front that I need to worry about. 🤣 

Think about how many poor swings we make during a round that are a product of poor tempo or non-committal. 

This swing looked great because of those things. Keep it up because that ball flight is nice 😊

• Like 3
  • Titleist TSI3 LAGolf DJ 65 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Official 1/12 testers for 2022 L.A.B. Golf Putters

Western, NY

5.8 Index

4 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Think about how many poor swings we make during a round that are a product of poor tempo or non-committal. 

This swing looked great because of those things. Keep it up because that ball flight is nice 😊

Aaah. Very true. I’ll need to remember that. 

Once my confidence is more sustained, I’ll look at hitting the Maltbys again. 

• Like 3

On 5/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, chisag said:

... While some aggressive hitters have a tighter grip on the club, most are shocked at how light they should grip the club. You described a feeling I tried to give my students that the club should feel like it is almost going to slip out of your hands. Taking a look at Fred Couples swing, his right hand is holding his grip so loose it literally comes off the grip at impact.  Obviously you want a secure grip but most grip waaaaaay too tight. Sounds like you are on a good path! 

Monte says that most ams have too light of a grip.  He referenced Sam Snead who said "hold the club like a bird", but what you don't hear was the second part of Snead's statement, "like and eagle trying to get away from you."  

Too light of a grip can lead to inconsistent positions in the backswing and transition, and if you hit a ball with a loose grip, chances are greater for a mishit when the ball is not struck squarely.  We naturally tend to increase grip pressure in the downswing to minimize this, so it seems to me that maintaining a firm grip pressure throughout the swing would eliminate another variable.  The trick is, of course, to maintain a firm grip pressure... not a stranglehold... while keeping tension out of your neck, shoulders and arms.

As for Freddie and VJ Singh for that matter, they both have a firm grip at impact and the right hand almost comes off the club just after impact when the ball is gone.  Their swing type, body type, and general body health or lack thereof, may also influence this release.

• Like 6

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

30 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Monte says that most ams have too light of a grip.  He referenced Sam Snead who said "hold the club like a bird", but what you don't hear was the second part of Snead's statement, "like and eagle trying to get away from you."  

Too light of a grip can lead to inconsistent positions in the backswing and transition, and if you hit a ball with a loose grip, chances are greater for a mishit when the ball is not struck squarely.  We naturally tend to increase grip pressure in the downswing to minimize this, so it seems to me that maintaining a firm grip pressure throughout the swing would eliminate another variable.  The trick is, of course, to maintain a firm grip pressure... not a stranglehold... while keeping tension out of your neck, shoulders and arms.

As for Freddie and VJ Singh for that matter, they both have a firm grip at impact and the right hand almost comes off the club just after impact when the ball is gone.  Their swing type, body type, and general body health or lack thereof, may also influence this release.

I’m not too well versed in this topic, but I will say a Tour player with (what appears) to be light grip pressure is Gary Woodland. 

Followed him for a few holes during a practice round for the PGA at Kiawah last year … and his light grip, noodle like takeaway is mind blowing. It’s one thing to see it on TV, but a totally different experience to see it at tee box with him directly in front of you. A phenomenal athlete. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

As for Freddie and VJ Singh for that matter

... Kenny we probably don't over analyze anything as much as we do the golf swing. I can't imagine throwing a baseball like this because we grip the ball with enough pressure to both hold it securely while allowing the fingers and wrists to be flexible, creating maximum speed. The tighter we hold the ball the less speed we can create. I broke a few rackets back when I played Travel Tennis because when serving I griped the racket so loose it came out of my hands. I have seen Pro's do the same. Asking someone how tightly they hold their grip is almost always misleading, because most really don't know or more accurately they think they grip it tighter or looser than they actually do. Add to that what I call a 4 on a scale of 1-10 someone else might call a 2 or a 6 because feel is subjective. But the goal is simple: hold it just tightly enough to maintain control while keeping your writs and arms as loose as possible. The majority of am's wrists and arms are too tight and this robs them of speed. 

... When players grip too lightly, you can see them loose control of the club at the top of the swing or during the transition and a drill I used to have my students do was put a tee in their grip at the base of their little finger/palm and it would fall out when they swung the club. I would also add a swinger and a hitter are going to have a different grip pressure. A hitter like Arnie had a tighter grip and tight forearms but obviously hit it a mile and I'll let Freddie describe his grip in this excerpt from Freddie's book Total Shotmaking:

595690613_Freddiegrippressure.JPG.5c64fa4c7dcc27cc1e2c0e106279d001.JPG  

• Like 6

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... LinQ M40X 6F3
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 5-Pw Forged Tec ... Steelfiber i80R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

There’s a difference between pressure and tension. Too many ams confuse the two. One can have a tight grip but not a lot of tension and one can have a combo of both or be loose grip and not much tension.

As mentioned above some pros may have a loose grip but if you watch they also begin to tighten it up in the swing.

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1