Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

51 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

You'll never believe what I found today!!! Something that many have looked for but very few have actually witnessed. More elusive than the Sasquatch, unicorns, and leprechauns combined! I was even fortunate enough to have gotten a photo of this majestic creature...

>

>

>

>

>

Brace yourself..

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

20240309_205017.jpg.40db68ef5f44a94ee6891541871eca3e.jpg

This was a couple days ago,  but I got the trifecta.20240306_112503.jpg.4bf75c9e555081010cc534e991f4de20.jpg

Carry bag for best results.

11 hours ago, azstu324 said:

You'll never believe what I found today!!! Something that many have looked for but very few have actually witnessed. More elusive than the Sasquatch, unicorns, and leprechauns combined! I was even fortunate enough to have gotten a photo of this majestic creature...

>

>

>

>

>

Brace yourself..

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

20240309_205017.jpg.40db68ef5f44a94ee6891541871eca3e.jpg

love it lol...

committed to performance excellence

Put in about 150 balls into the net. Video later. I'm definitely feeling encouraged with what grip and swing changes I've adopted. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Day 57 (10 Mar 24) - after church decided to work on some easy pitches with the old MacGregor Mike Souchak 7i and Scotsman Dbl Duty wedge….a whole new world compared to the TM SLDR and Indi Wedges….

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

No practice yesterday or today. Played 9 terrible muddy, wet practice holes after work on Friday. I thought I was getting my swing dialed in after my range session the day before that, but we all know how that goes. Still it was 9 holes after work on a Friday.

Following last week's discussion with the Club Hos, I bought a driver wrench and de-lofted my driver. Cold and windy here today and supposed to be same tomorrow so I won't get to try it until Tuesday.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

2 hours ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Had my first Lesson today with Instructor Danny Lee.We focused a lot on front arm control as well as wrist control. Drilling this in with a sweeping step drill towards the ball until contact. What he noticed was that my right hand grip is very tight and that causes me to flick the wrist to open the club. We drilled in that controlling my left shoulder instead of my hands/wrists to open the face of the club will make other parts of the swing easier to work on in the future. With the sweeping drill came a more natural weight shift, but what he noticed in that regard was that I do not shift my weight back until the back swing is near its apex, and it cause me to shift late in my down swing. I am very handsy with the club, and this I knew. So focusing solely on weight shifting, was not the goal. Towards the end, we did see around 15 yards added distance with less effort on my 9i (only club we practiced) but it was stressed to keep doing the drills. Getting the body to stay in that motion naturally is going to take a heck of a lot longer than one day at the range.

Overall, very happy I went with the lesson here. The two drills he had me work on today definitely addressed issues I have been having, but not all of them of course. He did mention that without the lesson, I would maybe be okay and figure it out down the road as my swing wasn't the worst he has seen and my plane is fair. But more than likely I wouldn't have seen much growth.

👍🏽 Thanks for reading. 

Glad you had a good FIRST lesson!  Have you signed up for a package deal or just going to schedule as you think you need them?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

52 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Glad you had a good FIRST lesson!  Have you signed up for a package deal or just going to schedule as you think you need them?

I started out with the one to see if I meshed well with the instructor. I  definitely dig his teaching style of guiding me step by step through the drills and not overloading me with a thousand of them. Really considering going with him for more, I believe he does offer packages but it isn't a must because practice is most important and if I am not willing to "hit bad shots for a little while" then it won't work. 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

37 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

And there it was.   The feel I've been missing.   🤷‍♂️  best I can figure is been so focused on maintaining arm structure that I'd forgotten to maintain the connection between the arms and torso.  I was way out of sequence and it was destroying my timing.

This is probably the next thing on my list to tackle

I am struggling with it and the only way I can seem to keep my alignment between shoulders and hips is to stop halfway. Any tips for maintaining a " connection " that sticks through full rotation?  I've tried tightening my stance, but then I seem to fall backwards on follow through.

Had a range session and then a SIM round yesterday.

Range session again with me starting with wedges, hitting various shots to various distances before attempting to make a full swing with both Gap and Pitching wedges to targets at the distances I hit each of them.

Moved up through the irons, but also started each club hitting shots to approximately 1/2 the normal distance I would hit them to keep tempo slow and swing in proper sequence.

Hit hybrids, trying to get a feel for which one may make the bag, and it seems that as long as I carry a 5 wood, the 4 hybrid hits required distances better for me than the 3 hybrid does.

3 hybrid has similar distance to my 5 wood, just different flight characteristics.

Hit some drivers too, again, feeling like I was swing no more than 80%, didn't worry about distance, wanted to keep them on target.

SIM round was at 5 Iron facility here in Shelby Township near my house. Played a round at Detroit Golf Club on their SIM, as I have played the course a few times live.

Scored an 80, 40 each side, but only missed 2 fairways, again not always hitting driver off the tee, and missed 4 greens total.

Ready for the weather here to get warmer, as I am hoping to get a live round in next weekend for the VCT Championship tournament.

39 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I am struggling with it and the only way I can seem to keep my alignment between shoulders and hips is to stop halfway. Any tips for maintaining a " connection " that sticks through full rotation?  I've tried tightening my stance, but then I seem to fall backwards on follow through.

Sent you a message here, hope that it may help you out. 

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

5 hours ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

.. it was stressed to keep doing the drills. Getting the body to stay in that motion naturally is going to take a heck of a lot longer than one day at the range.

Yes! Keep working working working and you'll get it.

It does take a lotta reps over a period of time to change .. and keep .. new movement patterns.

Things that have helped me include practicing in slow motion - not hitting balls - and if you have a mirror available (I have my wife's old full length dressing mirror in the garage) to check yourself as you move that can be helpful, too.

And suggest you do check in with your instructor (sounds like you two communicated well!) from time to time so he can double check you're on the right track.

Good stuff!! 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, Syks7 said:

And there it was.   The feel I've been missing.   🤷‍♂️  best I can figure is been so focused on maintaining arm structure that I'd forgotten to maintain the connection between the arms and torso.  I was way out of sequence and it was destroying my timing. 

Ugh! It's always something isn't it? I feel your pain. 

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

7 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Yes! Keep working working working and you'll get it.

It does take a lotta reps over a period of time to change .. and keep .. new movement patterns.

Things that have helped me include practicing in slow motion - not hitting balls - and if you have a mirror available (I have my wife's old full length dressing mirror in the garage) to check yourself as you move that can be helpful, too.

And suggest you do check in with your instructor (sounds like you two communicated well!) from time to time so he can double check you're on the right track.

Good stuff!! 👍

Oh yes, plenty of practice ahead. And I hate the new grip he has me working on so much but that's something I have to process through. Definitely going to take your advice and take slow swings in the mirror. My body and hands do like the changes so far, the mind.... not so much. 

And definitely, he teaches where I frequent the range as it is and told me to stop by just to shoot the "you know" and give him some updates. He does fittings too but he thinks the $50 set of Ram irons I bought were a steal and should stick with them for now. 

Cheers!

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

Spent some time at a new range with the TopTracer App. Awesome app that gives you live info about performance. Upgraded my clubs so this was perfect to help get to know them and work on getting comfortable with new clubs. I feel like I am going to warm up quick to these JPX 921 & 923s

-SMartin

I've been working on my short game because I've decided that's my biggest weakness right now. The only problem is I don't have access to a practise facility and with a wife and kids, it's tough to get out. My current method is putting buckets around my property and taking turns chipping around trying to land at the bucket while taking care to go through my preshot routine on each one. I find it works well because I can also take the kids off my wife's hands while I'm doing it. 

That being said, I'm concerned this will be much different than approaching a green and I'm concerned it might not translate well on the golf course. Has anyone else experienced this? How have you found it? Are there other drills you'd recommend that can be done without a green or golf course level manicured grass?

Driver:   Stealth 9* w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
Fairway:  Stealth 3W 15* w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
Irons:   

• P790 2 Iron w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
  • P790 4-6 Iron w/ Project X
  • P770 7-AW XS w/ Project X 

Wedge:   MG3 56* and 60*
Putter:  35" Spider GT Splitback

41 minutes ago, Wieskemp said:

I've been working on my short game because I've decided that's my biggest weakness right now. The only problem is I don't have access to a practise facility and with a wife and kids, it's tough to get out. My current method is putting buckets around my property and taking turns chipping around trying to land at the bucket while taking care to go through my preshot routine on each one. I find it works well because I can also take the kids off my wife's hands while I'm doing it. 

That being said, I'm concerned this will be much different than approaching a green and I'm concerned it might not translate well on the golf course. Has anyone else experienced this? How have you found it? Are there other drills you'd recommend that can be done without a green or golf course level manicured grass?

You are working on technique and being able to hit landing areas; you can also work on height control.    The only thing you are kissing is rollout; which has to be done with a green.  

what you are doing should translate to the course.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I hit the simulator on Saturday with a friend for a round at St. Andrews Old Course, and after shooting an 85 there I went to the range yesterday and beat my wedges to death. But seriously, I am working on some drills to better draw the ball, which is elusive for me but I would like to be able to do it more consistently, right now I am hit or miss.   I am either straight or a slight fade.  MY FIR is decent at around 52% (per Garmin) but I am only 17% GIR and my distance off the tee is not long, on average about 200 yards.  so I need more drive distance and more accurate irons into the green - the 2 areas I am focused on.  I average 2.2 putts so eventually that also has to come down as well. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

1 hour ago, Wieskemp said:

What cnosil said, you are working on distance/landing zones. Only way to transfer that to on course is on a practice green/chipping area to learn height control for rollout.

Putting practice at the work location today since not a whole lot going on.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

28 minutes ago, Julius said:

I hit the simulator on Saturday with a friend for a round at St. Andrews Old Course, and after shooting an 85 there I went to the range yesterday and beat my wedges to death. But seriously, I am working on some drills to better draw the ball, which is elusive for me but I would like to be able to do it more consistently, right now I am hit or miss.   I am either straight or a slight fade.  MY FIR is decent at around 52% (per Garmin) but I am only 17% GIR and my distance off the tee is not long, on average about 200 yards.  so I need more drive distance and more accurate irons into the green - the 2 areas I am focused on.  I average 2.2 putts so eventually that also has to come down as well. 

If you're looking to work on your putting (I know you said that's not #1 priority) but I bought a Perfect Putt practise mat and rolled putts at night when I was watching TV and the kids were in bed. Last year I dropped my average putts by 2-3 a round! Found myself much more confident and consistent with my stroke. Would highly recommend it!

Irons:   

15 minutes ago, Wieskemp said:

If you're looking to work on your putting (I know you said that's not #1 priority) but I bought a Perfect Putt practise mat and rolled putts at night when I was watching TV and the kids were in bed. Last year I dropped my average putts by 2-3 a round! Found myself much more confident and consistent with my stroke. Would highly recommend it!

Thank you Wieskemp - is that the actual name of it? when I check on line Perfect Putt comes up with a variety of different things so not sure which one - would you have a more detailed description or photo?  Much appreciated. 

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

Thank you Wieskemp - is that the actual name of it? when I check on line Perfect Putt comes up with a variety of different things so not sure which one - would you have a more detailed description or photo?  Much appreciated. 

Hello Julius! 

Sorry it's the Perfect Practice Putting mat. Here is there website: https://perfectpractice.com/products/the-perfect-practice-putting-mat. I'm sure other options would work as well as this is pretty expensive, but I find the quality to be good and the ball return is a nice feature so you can stay in the zone. 

For myself, I found it helpful to do some research on the putting stroke, tune mine to be more fundamentally strong, and then practice that until I became really comfortable with it. Also, the book Putting Out of Your Mind by Bob Rotella is also a great read. 

Happy shooting!

Irons:   

12 minutes ago, Wieskemp said:

Hello Julius! 

Sorry it's the Perfect Practice Putting mat. Here is there website: https://perfectpractice.com/products/the-perfect-practice-putting-mat. I'm sure other options would work as well as this is pretty expensive, but I find the quality to be good and the ball return is a nice feature so you can stay in the zone. 

For myself, I found it helpful to do some research on the putting stroke, tune mine to be more fundamentally strong, and then practice that until I became really comfortable with it. Also, the book Putting Out of Your Mind by Bob Rotella is also a great read. 

Happy shooting!

Wieskemp!  Thanks so much, perfect I will look into this one, always good to have someone who has actually used the product endorse it as helpful - much appreciated! 

May all your rounds be memorable!!

12 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I bought a pack of training aids off of amazon.  One of the things that came with it was one of these arm bands.

image.png.9bdd68c673efc4b85b79333c40ccfb4d.png

It was very helpful for setting up arm structure in the back swing, and maintaining it (the triangle) through the downswing.  It makes it very difficult to let your trail elbow fly and get struck behind you wearing it.  You can still get out of sequence if you are swinging your arms back instead of lifting them as you rotate your torso and if you initiate the downswing with your arms.  I like this Nick Faldo drill  

The downswing is a little more of a personal feel but it's based off of a combo of the Faldo drill and this Tiger/Butch Harmon Drill.  I like to do a partial swing so that the top of the swing (P4) is much lower and it's much easier to maintain your connection.  The feel for me is to initiate the downswing from my lower torso and hips and rotate through while letting my arms drop.  I will often do this drill without letting the club release (no ball) so I can focus on the connection.

There's also a strange drill I've made of for myself that helps me with the feel so take it with a grain of salt.  I sit in an office chair for a huge portion of the day and I've found that if I pretend to hold a club at P4,  tuck my trail elbow into my torso, then try to rotate the chair it's the exact feel I have when initiate the downswing and am fully connected.  Hips, Torso, Arms all moving together -- big muscles doing the work and the arms dropping through to impact.  

Hopefully this isn't super confusing.  Good Luck.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

On 3/9/2024 at 10:49 AM, cksurfdude said:

Recognized, though, that I should also be practicing *positive* mental game techniques with every shot, and not beating myself up nor feeling stoopit about what happens with a shot - we're there to work on our technique!

I think this is why so many people identify so much with Joel Dahmen.  We are our own worst critics and it's important to remember to be as nice to yourself as possible.  Especially in pressure situations where you may end up making pressure on yourself worse by being continually negative.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

13 hours ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

And I hate the new grip he has me working on so much but that's something I have to process through.

Grip changes are very difficult, IMO. When I switched to the Graves single plane swing, grip was THE last thing that came together for the address position! Good luck and stick with it!

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

Played a round in the sim. Really working on keeping my backswing shorter and more square. Kinda like AK is swinging now. Trying to sync everything up and get rid of my push fade. Still working on timing but it’s slowing coming along. 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder it doesn't work"