TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

No practice today, just feeling like crud. Woke up with a bad cold, went to work and they sent me home at lunch. Just going to do some stretching, yoga and light resistance work today, work up a little lather. Video is from driver work yesterday, pulling my arms slightly still before impact. Work to be done! I had to zip tie my net: punched a hole in it. I wish I could say it's because the swing was so sweet, but it's from the constant pounding on that spot! Oh, and still wearing the turtleneck.... still quite brisk around here!

I hope everyone is having a great day! 

do you know what you are pulling your arm?

What are you working on to stop pulling your arms?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

30 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

do you know what you are pulling your arm?

What are you working on to stop pulling your arms?

Oh, I know I'm collapsing too early at times. I'm getting a lot better, but still working it. One of the drills I do is a split grip drill and work the arm extension. I work positions through the swing statically and then progressively picking up momentum with successive swings. 

I am ALWAYS open to suggestions @RickyBobby_PR: this is a constant learning experience for me, and I'm loving the ride!

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                              3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                              Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand: Wilson.gif.7c4c0af3500daff148cdd38ec0dbe7ab.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                                  Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                                     Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

Snow has disappeared 😁 but a heavy rain with 30-35mph gusts have replaced the days weather. 🤨 So headed out to the barn and practiced putting and worked on my consistency a bit. Overall, pretty happy.

TodaysPractice.jpg.41d7b91e61c4029078529bdbc3e52d03.jpg

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Oh, I know I'm collapsing too early at times. I'm getting a lot better, but still working it. One of the drills I do is a split grip drill and work the arm extension. I work positions through the swing statically and then progressively picking up momentum with successive swings. 

I am ALWAYS open to suggestions @RickyBobby_PR: this is a constant learning experience for me, and I'm loving the ride!

Everything that’s happening in your transition downswing is a symptom of what you do in the backswing. You arms are collapsing and moving the way they do because they have to in order for you to hit the ball.

The camera angle isn’t the best to really see what’s happening but there are things we can see that are an issue.

pic 1 your hands are way too far out and arms are too extended. You also appear to have the shoulders open to the hips. Everything from shoulders, hips and knees should be in the same alignment. With driver it’s ok to have the body open a little.

As a result of this you really c can’t get a proper turn of the hips or pressure shift. Your turn isn’t a turn is just flexing the left knee and lifting then heel. It’s also very flat turn and club is flat as well. pic 2 and 3 show is these positions.

You could probably have a slightly better transition and downswing from here if you planted your left heel first then did your downswing but instead your start the downswing and the heel is still off the ground (pic 4)

all of this leaves you with no room for the club to move and you have to steepen the club a little (we can see this in pic 4). So you have to start standing up and using the arms to get the club to the ball. (Pic 5)

I would focus on a proper setup, double check the grip to make sure it’s at least neutral. Work on setting the wrists properly at the start of the swing and getting the club a little steeper at left arm parallel to the ground. 

a couple videos to help 

IMG_7765.jpeg

IMG_7764.jpeg

IMG_7766.jpeg

IMG_7767.jpeg

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Curious on how many things folks are typically working on/thinking about at a time with their swing? Typically I'll head to the range and have one or two things I really want to focus on. A few swings in, I'll get another feel and start to think about that. And then I'll make really solid contact and try to recreate that. And by the end of the range session I'm leaving with 3 different things I want to focus on next time. 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

Worked on driver today and made some simple changes. I was able to reproduce it on the course but it's going to take plenty of practice to make it second nature. 

Hip bump towards target and feel like I'm hitting the ground behind me.  It immediately got the club in the right path and was actually drawing the ball. 

Must. Practice. More.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Visualization. I know that may sound silly but did have a bit of a lightbulb moment concerning the movements of the wrists through the (full) swing...

.. it was one thing that Monte Scheinblum had explained at the clinic I attended last June (!!) and was not really getting it .. until last night, sitting on the couch, it kinda popped into my mind and I tried moving my hands like he had demonstrated .. and, Ah HA!!

Tested it out in the garage today and may possibly could maybe be wandering towards the right track 🤞

But, as always..

Work In Progress!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, Curtis Atkinson said:

Curious on how many things folks are typically working on/thinking about at a time with their swing? Typically I'll head to the range and have one or two things I really want to focus on. A few swings in, I'll get another feel and start to think about that. And then I'll make really solid contact and try to recreate that. And by the end of the range session I'm leaving with 3 different things I want to focus on next time. 

The problem with feels is they are just that and they come and go. Working on movement patterns and drills for those movements patterns is a better way to approach practice a mind improving. Also slow swings are needed to change movement patterns .

Day 73 (26 Mar 24) - Our church men’s group began its 9 hole best ball season today.  Was a fun round, had grandson as my cart partner - super time had by all as a 7 yr old is all energy and optimism! 

Edited by Willie T
Grammar

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Everything that’s happening in your transition downswing is a symptom of what you do in the backswing. You arms are collapsing and moving the way they do because they have to in order for you to hit the ball.

The camera angle isn’t the best to really see what’s happening but there are things we can see that are an issue.

pic 1 your hands are way too far out and arms are too extended. You also appear to have the shoulders open to the hips. Everything from shoulders, hips and knees should be in the same alignment. With driver it’s ok to have the body open a little.

As a result of this you really c can’t get a proper turn of the hips or pressure shift. Your turn isn’t a turn is just flexing the left knee and lifting then heel. It’s also very flat turn and club is flat as well. pic 2 and 3 show is these positions.

You could probably have a slightly better transition and downswing from here if you planted your left heel first then did your downswing but instead your start the downswing and the heel is still off the ground (pic 4)

all of this leaves you with no room for the club to move and you have to steepen the club a little (we can see this in pic 4). So you have to start standing up and using the arms to get the club to the ball. (Pic 5)

I would focus on a proper setup, double check the grip to make sure it’s at least neutral. Work on setting the wrists properly at the start of the swing and getting the club a little steeper at left arm parallel to the ground. 

a couple videos to help 

IMG_7765.jpeg

IMG_7764.jpeg

IMG_7766.jpeg

IMG_7767.jpeg

Thank you for the critique @RickyBobby_PR! I appreciate the feedback!

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                              3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                              Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand: Wilson.gif.7c4c0af3500daff148cdd38ec0dbe7ab.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                                  Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                                     Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

6 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Thank you for the critique @RickyBobby_PR! I appreciate the feedback!

Anytime. 

Day 74 (27 Mar 24) - Got in some Snell MTB Prime X (2023 clearance @ $20/doz) - spent a few minutes hitting a few wedge shots comparing them to the MTB Primes on hand that were also clearance last fall. Thinking these may become an on the course test comparison…

Edited by Willie T

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

19 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Day 74 (27 Mar 24) - Got in some Snell MTB Prime X (2023 clearance @ $20/doz) - spent a few minutes hitting a few wedge shots comparing them to the MTB Primes on hand that were also clearance last fall. Thinking these may become an on the course test comparison…

I am interested in how they hold up for you.  I picked up some a couple months ago and I am seeing a weird circular scuff showing up after a clean hit.  It only shows up once on a ball.  It's just a guess but it seems like the compression of the ball during a hit allows some paint to separate off the cover at the edges of a few dimples.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Had a great range session today.  I changed to an interlock grip to keep pressure off the lower hand and also continued to work on feeling like I'm hitting the ground behind me to bring my swing on the correct path with the driver. 

I was hitting some solid shots and my miss was now a slight pull or low hook if I got too quick. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

About 65 balls in the rain at the range in Charlotte (under the canopy), with a Rypstick workout thrown in the middle. Tried to get a swing speed from my Garmin after the Rypstick but it was giving me weird numbers, like 101 club speed on a 170-yard push. As much as I wish I could hit triple digits... I can't. A couple of low 90s thrown in too. The most believable speeds were 83 and 84, which is still an improvement over my baseline. I was pretty happy with my contact with all clubs, including the big dog. A few pushes, a few hooks, but no big bananas. Distance was limited by rain, wind and range rocks, but it looked like the distance numbers I was getting were fairly close, based on the marked distance to target greens.

Followed it up after dinner with my pre-Fit For Golf workout, 20 minutes without a break. Definitely gets the heart rate up, and I feel maybe just a tiny bit stronger.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

Iron practice for me today. Still focused on takeaway and not bouncing. Did well on staying down. Several balls faded or sliced. Remembered coach saying to try and “swing right.” Did that, and things got real good. Will continue to rep that.

As a bonus, got a very light rain, leading to this:

IMG_3421.jpeg.0c2dde76854a027481f18d68a79eaa1b.jpeg

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

Tuesday went to the driving range hit 30 balls with my Mizuno 923's 20" 4 hybrid and 29" 6 hybrid,I hit them much better Dispersion wise than I thought I would 😇 since I've not had a full swing of anything for 6 months. Planning to try that once weekly going fwd, I've had some bad knee issues but improving so hope to do more 😉

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Got to the practice fairway for some full swings and rolled a few putts on the practice green. Putting was solid, full swing less so but it was great to just be out there

IMG_4296.jpeg.c04c4c5de67f44d0135fa1378e36697c.jpeg

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

So i had an issue with cutting across the ball and these huge right fades. Actually cannot call it a fade it was so much worse. So i have been practicing swing more in to out and at first my ball went straight left after acouple hours they began to go straight but all the sudden im hitting a draw with my mini driver and 3 wood. Loving the new feeling. Also dropped my back leg back alittle and ive been working on timing my hip rotation with my upper body and thats where i am now. This part seems much harder than i thought it would be. I keep videos of my swing for me ita the only way to see what im doing right or wrong im not good enough yet to tell you if i hit the toe or the heel but slowly getting there and i will be single digits this year currently 11.8 hcp wanna be a 9 by end of playing season 2024.any advice on timing the upper and lower body better to gain more distance? Hitem staright folks.....!

1711151566762.jpg

Edited by golfjunky79

Broken record, I am.

Wedges: soft draw
Mid to long irons: soft draw
Hybrid and 3 wood: draw with a side of hook
Driver: holy mother of spinny slice monster!

Take lesson: Hit driver awesome

Next solo practice:

Wedges: soft draw.....

It's like setting up a doctor's appointment and being healed miraculously when you walk in the office,

Grumble grumble grumble

B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

Today I worked on keeping the head of my driver in plane during my swing. Not sure how this happened, but I keep the head of my irons on plane through my swing without any instruction, but my driver is another story. My thinking is that I subcontiously adjust my swing path to compensate for the longer shaft. I’ve been taking lessons recently and it’s really nice being able to see video replays to better understand what I need to adjust for improvements. All this tech from lessons is making me really want to get a launch monitor and set up a hitting screen at home.

Driver: Ping G430 MAX 10.5º Tour 2.0 Black 65 X shaft

Woods: Ping 430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

Hybrids: Ping G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

Irons: Ping G430 5i - PW KBS Tour-V S shafts

Wedges: Ping G430 45º & 50º KBS Tour-V S shafts

Ping Glide Pro Forged 56º Dynamic Gold S 300 shaft

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4 (pending delivery of custom order DF3)