TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

1 minute ago, cksurfdude said:

Chilly and damp, misty and gusty, day .. so some (more) indoor chipping practice. I think maybe possibly perhaps could be that some of the instruction I've gotten over the past few years is actually starting to sink in.
(A little bit anyway. But it's progress.)

Do you chip off carpet or do you have turf for chipping?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I've found any bad shots I have the grip seems to have turned in my hand, if I then put the club back to address its very open. This got me thinking that after years and years of thinking I have a good grip (any lessons I get they all say it looks fine) I cant have if it turns.

Went to the range and strengthened my left hand (I'm a righty) to show 3 knuckles and kept the right hand the same as before (1 knuckle and 'V' pointing to right shoulder) and the strikes are WAY better. It does feel like I might go left a lot and a pull turns into a real pull hook, but good swings give me solid straight or slight draw shapes so confidence is higher now.

I mention it as it's worth everyone having a grip check as it's so easy to fall into bad habits, bit like driving a car with a few fingers and not 'Ten to Two' type thing.

Anyway, hopefully playing a course today and maybe a 'world famous' one at the weekend, if I'm lucky.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Heading to the range today to try and sort out my driver. I started the year long and straight, but the past few outings it's a struggle to stay in bounds.

I can get by just fine driving with a three wood, but it always feels like I'm conceding part of my game to the course when I do.

Depending on how that goes, I'll head over to the practice green for chipping practice.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Do you chip off carpet or do you have turf for chipping?

Turf Mat. Have a whole indoor "studio" in my man cave garage; including...

..an approx 4'x5'x1" thick mat (which came with a golf sim that doesn't get enough use .. maybe this winter),

..a net that's tall and wide enough to catch everything (that I tore out of one of those free-standing pop-up things that I couldn't ever fold back up properly), and

..a bunch of training aids, etc.

Also have a SKLZ "Glide Pad" that I put on top of the mat occasionally, when my wrists are hurting.

Oh - that's a Birdie Ball under the net (cannot see it in this photo but it got, umm, "customized" by my Lab so now it has some imitation spike marks!).IMG_20181016_172203372.thumb.jpeg.282b514d0d04ac77df43c8c3ae7fc42c.jpeg

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Turf Mat. Have a whole indoor "studio" in my man cave garage; including...

..an approx 4'x5'x1" thick mat (which came with a golf sim that doesn't get enough use .. maybe this winter),

..a net that's tall and wide enough to catch everything (that I tore out of one of those free-standing pop-up things that I couldn't ever fold back up properly), and

..a bunch of training aids, etc.

Also have a SKLZ "Glide Pad" that I put on top of the mat occasionally, when my wrists are hurting.

Oh - that's a Birdie Ball under the net (cannot see it in this photo but it got, umm, "customized" by my Lab so now it has some imitation spike marks!).IMG_20181016_172203372.thumb.jpeg.282b514d0d04ac77df43c8c3ae7fc42c.jpeg

Wow, I am jealous. That is a wonderful setup. I just struggle finding turf that doesn't "skip" the club into the ball while chipping. Chipping doesn't have enough speed to get where the club "sticks" in the mat.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

IMG_1386.JPG

Fast for a guy who was swinging 85 with the driver last March. Amazing what dropping 40 lbs. and working out along with half a Super Speed protocol in the books will do.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

IMG_1386.thumb.JPG.17bdfac38f2dbbb45fb3d023d7589b53.JPG

Fast for a guy who was swinging 85 with the driver last March. Amazing what dropping 40 lbs. and working out along with half a Super Speed protocol in the books will do.

Rev, that's a huge increase.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Wow, I am jealous. That is a wonderful setup. I just struggle finding turf that doesn't "skip" the club into the ball while chipping. Chipping doesn't have enough speed to get where the club "sticks" in the mat.
You can find small pads that have faux rough that aren't bad for chipping; can also put them on top of a piece of rubber or high density foam to absorb the shock.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

On 10/12/2018 at 9:54 AM, PING Apologist #9 said:

Been putting a lot in the living room during the evenings after dinner lately. Been trying a new stroke I've copied from Brandt Snedeker. I've been watching him play lately and noticed he has a very short backstroke and then a quick "tap & stop" hit style and the ball just leaps off the face real smooth and pretty accurately. I've emulated this and noticed my indoor accuracy increasing too. Going to put this style to the test tomorrow. We'll see...

The pro at my old course putts like Snedeker and has for the 25 years I've known him.  It's not for everyone.  I tried it several years ago, when I was struggling.  The short backstroke is fine, but the "tap & stop" didn't work for me on distance control.  I suppose I could have stuck with it longer, but I was searching for the magic answer, and that wasn't it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

The pro at my old course putts like Snedeker and has for the 25 years I've known him.  It's not for everyone.  I tried it several years ago, when I was struggling.  The short backstroke is fine, but the "tap & stop" didn't work for me on distance control.  I suppose I could have stuck with it longer, but I was searching for the magic answer, and that wasn't it.

Understood and appreciate your feedback certainly. This style just seems to suit me (for now) when combined with this new short (33") B60. Putted very well in my personal best round the other day and will keep at it. Somehow it just seems more "natural" for me. I really like how the ball comes off the face. Rarely a jump and seems to go smooth with eyes for the cup at times. Maybe still in the honeymoon phase, so only time will tell. Watching those guys on the tube though, I seem to see several others doing similar things. Maybe there's something to it, but for now, this is my stroke.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I didn't have a lot of time to practice today and the range was packed, so I took a cart and played 6 holes by myself.  I was behind a foursome, but they moved along pretty well.  I think they were playing a 2-man team game.  They kept changing tee boxes, so they must have been playing something like make a birdie, move back a tee; make a bogey, move up a tee; and stay where you are with a par.  

I played 2 balls on nearly every shot, but I was mostly trying to get my erratic driver straightened out.  Not much luck.  I've had trouble with it since I started the SuperSpeed Golf training test.  Hit a bad one; hit a good one, followed by two more bad ones; left and right.  The other clubs were pretty good, particularly wedge approaches.  I left for the course in such a hurry that I forgot my GPS, so I was "winging it" on yardages.  However, I know the course so well that I got along fine without it.  I am also liking my new Wilson Staff D300 2H for long fairway shots much better than my fairway wood.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Rev, that's a huge increase.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Remember I had already picked up 4 mph before starting Super Speed just from getting fit. I was at 84.5 when I was fit for the Ping test last March and 88 on the same device three weeks ago - 91 on the radar that Suoerspeed sent us.

While 99 wasn’t there on the course something kicked in starting with my tee shot on 9. I’m usually a little longer than the guy I was playing with. I was 20 plus yards longer than him on the back and he was hitting it well.

My drive on 18 was were I would normally hit it down wind - but we were into a significant breeze. I had 38 on the back - two poor wedges - really poor wedges were all that got in the way of a great 9.

I will go to the range and address that tomorrow. Between getting my swing speed up and my weight loss I have a lot going on. The swing feels totally different. There were some shots today that made my exceedingly happen to the point that I was thinking, “I can play with this swing.”

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Had a refreshingly decent range session, just trying to work in all the elements my instructor has been working very hard this season to hammer into my thick skull! Kept switching up clubs and going for varying targets after every few shots .. even nailed a few drivers pretty solidly in a stiff left to right breeze.

Probably hit too many balls, though.... Like 135 or so. This place has the automated pop-up dispensers so it's too easy to say, "oh just one more" before you push the button to get your reusable card back before you run it down to 0!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

2 buckets at the range hitting the Ft Worth Blacks and Ping i210 6, 7, & 8 irons. I really figured out a couple things. Good session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

After getting some numbers for stage 2 review I spent time on the range trying to get my swing back to making closer to center contact. Been struggling the last few months with pressure transfer in the takeaway that has caused some issues with getting to far in front of the ball in transition and either hittin some high push fades or some pulls (the pulls are pretty playable and starts only a few yards left of target line and just stay on that path). Struggled for most of the range session but it was starting to come back a little as I started hitting more of the fade I prefer or relatively straight.  Season is coming to an end but will be getting an online swing evaluation from a coach I am considering online programming with

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Havent touched my clubs in a couple weeks and only about 3 times in the last 6 weeks. 

Went out to the range with a  few mud and short irons just to loosen up a bit before I play tomorrow if the rains holds off. 

Work on low runners for my Bandon trip if Carpal Tunnel surgery dont happen. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Re-watched a previous instruction video on some basics, mostly setup and swing path through impact. Focused on my hand position at setup while on the course (I know, I know) and saw a big improvement in ball striking and consistency on the back 9.

Thanks to the Odyssey EXO putter test, the next 6 weeks is going to be mostly putting. 😀

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

This past weekend I Confirmed that wedge play was what I need to work on. Saw that one of the instruction shows on the golf channel was finesse wedges so I watched that and practiced the techniques with some almost golf balls.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This past weekend I Confirmed that wedge play was what I need to work on. Saw that one of the instruction shows on the golf channel was finesse wedges so I watched that and practiced the techniques with some almost golf balls.
Yeah .. great episode with Cameron McCormick! Lots of excellent pointers and drills - gotta watch it again!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Speaking of which.. worked a bit on my short chipping today. After a bunch of indoor short practice sessions the past few weeks now feel like I'm making forward progress - making decent contact more often and getting more consistent trajectories more often. Yea!IMG_20181030_161019128.jpeg

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Hit a large bucket and took some pics of the Hogans.

Yeah .. great episode with Cameron McCormick! Lots of excellent pointers and drills - gotta watch it again!

I had seen the episode before. Lots of good information if you can apply the concepts. Eager to give it a try with real golf balls. Starting most wanted wedge testing today so I may try some of the techniques after my testing is complete.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Had plans of hitting the course as it was dry and sunny but had other going ons so I headed out late and hit the practice green for chipping and pitching practice. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Hit another bucket of balls today comparing the i210s and the Ft Worth Blacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did some wedge testing for most wanted. Got lots of practice hitting 40 yard wedge shots. This is the kind of practice I need to do more frequently. Very interesting how different wedges perform. Not so much from a bounce perspective but from a weight perspective.

Hit just enough balls today to keep the roll going. When I’m swinging well I don’t hit many.

So warmed up, hit 5 wedges, 5 9 irons, 5 drivers, 5 three woods, 10 7 irons, a few random driver/iron combos, 10 gap wedges, went on the course, played two balls on two par 4’s, threw the clubs in the trunk and drove home.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

...was hoping to practice this afternoon as I have a Veteran's day tournament coming up but my local range has shut down for the season.  :(

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

So... went to the range last night with my brother in law (first time in a week or two) and probably topped every iron shot or hit on the heel or toe of the club. I’m usually very much dead on with my irons but not now. Tried again today at the range with my son and the same deal... topped shots and all. I really hope this isn’t how I’m gonna end my season