jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

As an addendum to my post I got a Martin Hall video in my Revolution Golf email for today (free content.). His video tip was for good players who struggle with a hook or push. Up went my hand - at least the hook and push part.

He talked about how he learned to get rid of his own hook by studying the swing of one of his slicing students.

I had to laugh. One of my teacher's favorite things to tell me when I'm struggling is picture your hacker friends and swing like them. If you guys can imagine it I have to consciously try to swing straight across the ball in order to hit something close to a straight shot. It's very frustrating but after nearly three years I can hit fades with a 7 iron on the range.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Fades are fun Rev!

I do it by aiming off to the left on my intended target. Aim the clubface that direction and set my stance a bit open to that. I don't alter my in to out swing for it.

Biggest problem I have trying to hit them is committing to the target line, same with a draw. I don't alter my swing at all, just clubface and stance. Sometimes I don't take enough room to either side and I get in undiscovered locations on the course.

Then comes the great escapes.

So, happy happy joy joy, the driving range 2 mins from my office has re-opened with a new owner.

I was out on my lunch break and saw that they were open so I swung in to check things out. All brand new mats (no grass unfortunately) but the balls weren't the greatest, lots of mixed brands and conditions. Still, the new owner seems very nice and interested in getting things up to shape as quickly as possible so I grabbed a small bucket and got in some swings. Just working on my backswing and takeaway, making sure to coil up and not sway. There's always something to work on no matter how much or how little time you have.

Plus, I had a nice long chat with my "pro" on the phone, and made plans to get together sometime in the next few weeks for a tuneup. 

• Like 1

Driving range session today. Honestly just trying to figure out what went wrong last week. I played some target practice games using the same club, but not trying to hit down the same line to see if I can get something that resembles consistency back. Felt kind of good about my work today. Hopefully it translates to a bit more success on the course.

• Like 1

Played late in the afternoon so the course was pretty empty. I hit two balls off each tee. The second ball was always a club down on all par 4s and 5s. Par 3s the second ball was a club up. The first ball beat the second ball by 4 strokes when all was said and done.

• Like 1

Trying to make my range sessions more efficient

I typically play different holes, so to speak...long par 5 (3 balls)...par 4 (2balls), etc. But decided to add some target practice and record the results.

Picked a 35 yard section as the "fairway" and hit 7 out of 10.

Picked a green for 8i and hit 5 out of 10

Picked a 15 foot circle for 54 degree and hit 3 out of 4.

Need more work on my mid irons...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I've been spending 30 minutes a day after work putting on the carpet at home. Trying to better feel for a stroke and gain consistency on lag putts. Then I spend about 30 minutes doing 1/4 and 1/2 swings in the backyard with the SW and some foam balls.

Hopefully it helps. Got a tee time at a real tough course on Sunday morning.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I hate to be posting back to back but while you guys are playing, I'm practicing because an hour or two is about all I can handle in this heat.

It threatened rain the entire time that I was at the range today. Since my primary goal is to increase my clubhead speed I moved quickly to driver.

I thought that I was aiming at a flag that was 210. Every drive went past it and some flew past it. That's very good for me.

The rain held off so I hit 9 iron for a while at a flag that I thought was 120 and 52 at a flag that I thought was 85 and just short of another that I thought was 95.

As I left I grabbed my range finder to measure.

The flags were 217, 128, 92, 100.

So I was carrying drives to and past 217, with no wind in soupy weather st sea level. That's fifteen yards more than a month ago.

I was 10 yards longer with 9 iron and 52.

• Like 4

Ran out to the range after walking around the Marathon Classic all day today. Why do I hit the balls better when I'm tired? Driver went straight and long. I was killing it with the 7i and 5h. Hope I hit them as well in our club tournament tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Ran out to the range after walking around the Marathon Classic all day today. Why do I hit the balls better when I'm tired? Driver went straight and long. I was killing it with the 7i and 5h. Hope I hit them as well in our club tournament tomorrow.

Try staying up all night tonight.

• Like 1

I was hitting into the net in the garage today.

I hit a 4 iron and busted a huge hole in the net.

Long story short my drywall repair skills need some work.

IMG_0285.JPG

• Like 6

I guess if I ever need to make a small, perfect circle hole in my wall, I now know a good technique....

Seriously, though, that sucks.

Out of curiosity, is the ball in the wall or did it stay out?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I guess if I ever need to make a small, perfect circle hole in my wall, I now know a good technique....

Seriously, though, that sucks.

Out of curiosity, is the ball in the wall or did it stay out?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It is still in the wall. It is about an inch out of reach resting on insulation. If someone redoes that wall they are going to ask "what the hell is a golf ball doing there?"
  • Like 2

Seems I have a couple of those in my garage as well.

• Like 2

Hitting into the net again this morning before the heat and humidity stopped me. It is now pool time. Had a really good workout, and I'm feeling more comfortable with my driver now

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Nice setup. What kind of net is that? I have a similar one but the fiberglass poles keep breaking........

Actually I threw the paperwork away. It was a gift from my daughter in Australia for Father's day. Sorry

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Working on my putting. Short game has really come together so I need to work on finishing out the up and downs and making the occasional bad putts that I didn't get to the hole

I went out and bought a #7 style odyssey just to have a different look. Was rolling it well in the store and picked it over the #9 style. Good news is I have 30 days to return if it doesn't work out. Big reason I picked it up was that it had alignment aids on the topline.

Have been testing on the putting green and i have been having good results. Distance control seems good and make percentages from various distance seems good. Problem is when I get out to the course. Those 6 footers are giving me trouble and even missed a couple of 2 footers this weekend.

The extra practice sessions to get used to the putter may have been what I needed to do all along. Need to do a head to head comparison with my long time gamer after changing the grip back to something smaller after the super stroke experiment failed. Now I am thinking that my tempo is just better due to the practice.

Probably just need to get out of my own head.

• Like 1