Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

FINALLY got a very early day at the range.  Only 90º when I started.

It took a while to feel warmed up despite physical exercises and the OrangeWhip@. I did get comfortable enough to get some solid work in

I primarily worked my 22º and 24º hybrids and my 6i and 7i. These are my usual clubs after the tee.  

All these gave good distance and fairly good loft, though the 24º was a bit too often a solid fade. Have not hit so many fades in some time. Will see next time if they continue.  Other concern was that I topped a few 7i whacks. After checking the stance and address, they were eliminated.  I guess I lost some of the "automatic" stance due to time off the range or course.

I also took 10 strokes with the driver.  Nothing great, though distance was good.   Direction off a bit in both directions, however.

I was, as well, concentrating on eliminating a chicken wing in the left arm, and, for the most part, that was good.  All in all, considering my lack of full swing time in these last few weeks.  Hope to get back tomorrow AM.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I've been practicing whenever I can.. I usually start with low or mid irons, 7 or 9, once mechanics are good move up to 5 iron, once that's good go through hybrid, wood and driver. Circle back to wedges and just chip and pitch a bunch at short targets. I find that when I'm swinging well, I actually hit less, not more than 200 balls. When something's off and I need to really get to work, I usually hit around 400 balls. Off the mats, I try to work on chipping from hard lies and on slopes. This is the hardest part of the game for me right now... being on a steep hill right above the green, or with the ball so buried it's impossible to get the club sufficiently underneath. Wedges are such a pain that I don't work on them everyday, but whenever I get the motivation.

🥂

Been pulling the ball through the whole bag. Finally made the range and put out some sticks. All good in that area ane still pulling. Checked my grip (which I shouldve done first), and for some reason Ive moved my right thumb farther over the club which closed te face. Put it back to my norm and suddenly Im back to my game. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

3 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Putting since the putt out made me realize my path was so poor

Just remember that path has only about a 15% or less impact on the balls direction;  don't ignore face angle. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Just remember that path has only about a 15% or less impact on the balls direction;  don't ignore face angle. 

The path was so out to in that it had my face pointing left. I was actually able to fix some of it last night and today got it more ingrained. The face is still slightly off but not much. Realized I was moving my hands also... what felt good was apparently really bad for the past year and a half. Then the putter change to something heavier was even worse on my face angle. Back to the lighter putter and I'm getting better results. 

40 minutes with my hybrids.

3H (19º) was solid in range and accuracy. 170 yards was the average distance and ball speed was good. Nice loft, not too high with a solid roll after.  This club is starting to become predictable.

4H (22º) was OKto Good. While distance was a verykeepable at 155yards average, and loft aided a solid roll, I was a little bit all over the place between a draw and a fade. This made planning before the shot a bit tough.  None of them were sooffline as to make them un-playable; many landed on the green I was targeting, just not as near to the flag as I thought I was aiming for..  Maybe I am complaining too much.

5H (24º) came in at 145 yards average distance, and consistent loft and accuracy. I had been getting too high of a loft the other day and lost some distance as a result.  

All did well as I finally got a few days in a row with solid full swings.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Warmed up with 7 iron, then worked on the driver swing for a bit.  Moved over to the chipping area and hit about 70 shots from 5 to 40 feet from green with 3 different wedges.  Then, over to the putting green for 20 minutes working on distance control on longer putts.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Played nine holes today, then left because the rain was supposed to start around one o'clock, plus i was picking up lunch for the family. Well, the rain didn't come so I still had itch to hit some golf balls and headed to the range.

Mostly worked on pitch shots then progressed through irons then driver. I finished the bucket with some more short shots then headed over to the chipping green for about twenty minutes. Finished off the day on the putting green four another twenty minutes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Was planning on going to Range early AM to get a little iron work in.
Unfortunately woke with sore shoulder and cancelled that idea. Don’t need that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Still practicing the short game;  my lesson a few weeks ago really seems to have helped.  Forgiveness in the swing and less focus on needing perfect contact.  Last couple of days has been just working on the forearm rotation and left arm hitting practice balls.   My instructor and I discussed the techniques of Ridyard and Jeff Pierce which is basically what I am trying to achieve.   Course Kings offered a free short game video series with Jeff Pierce which I watched last night;  will come in handy as a great reference for what I am working on.   Probably going to sign up to get more lessons from Jeff;  I like what he is teaching for the short game. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A somewhat cool AM (85º at the start of my activity), so out to the range for some full work.

I began with 10 each with my 3 wedges  after the usual warm-ups. All were solid on expected distance and the 50º was exceptionally good on the direction, solid drop and stop with the 60º.

Next I worked the 6i and 7i quite a bit, about 20 each.  6i was giving me the most iffy shots for the first 6 or so. That was in part to my playing the ball ever so slightly forward that I was ever so slightly topping the smack.  After ever so slightly mildly cursing myself out, shots were good for distance, aim, and loft. No hooks or slices in the lot.

Perhaps because I played my 6i first, the 7i behaved well. Ball speed was consistent and the loft was not too high. I was averaging right where I should be for my distance.

10 shots next with my 3h (19º). Nice feel as they gave me all I was asking for. 155 yard average, nice loft without commemorating the lift off to the moon.  Ball speed was about 95.

I finished  with 6 from the driver.  It was a bit off as I had not used it in some time. Distance was not bad, averaging 200 but accuracy was a bit of a crap shoot.  Usually a soft fade or draw, but one really off and running slice told me it is time to spend a day with just this club.

I hit a small bucket at lunch, my driver was MIA for the most part. 3w was deadly accurate but the driver is back to my old two-way miss. Irons were decent. Time to shoot a text to my "pro" and see if we can set up a driver lesson. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

If the weather holds, we will be dealing with some rain, but Wednesday MIGHT be a day to get a round it.  

But, I mentioned yesterday, I did have a plan for today. 45 minutes with my driver at the range (about 40 smacks) to try to improve the accuracy.

Of those 40 shots, only two were totally unloved: one shot went higher than it went long in homage to NASA, and one that decided to crawl all 175 yards it traveled. Both elicited lots of personal laughter but fairly sure no one else witnessed them.

I worked on my address process.  Made sure I took time to aim, set the feet well, make sure I set my grip well, kept  the body from tensing up and not grounding the driver prior to the swing.

Results were good. Ball speed was in the 103-109 range, distance was a consistent 190+ (one well over 240), and more importantly, I was getting a very solid slight draws.  Nothing was wildly off in terms of hook or slice..  I can readily live with today's results.  Will see tomorrow if I can make it good for two days in a row.

cartoon0708.png

Edited by DrMJG

I hit a small bucket at lunch since the humidity we've been under finally broke with the torrential rains yesterday. Everything was short, low, and right to start and it was starting to get frustrating. I took some slow easy swings to try and calm down when it hit me that I was once again rushing into my downswing and my wrists weren't setting. Sometimes I feel like it happens because I know I have 30 minutes max and I want to get some practice in and I start rushing. As soon as I let the clubhead set my wrists at the top before starting down. everything was back to straight and high. 

Honestly I'd rather practice short game if all I have is half an hour, but no place near the office to do that in the timeframe I have. So better something than nothing. 

Driver was far, far better today as well. Hoping to get out this weekend for 9 minimum. 

Two tournaments this weekend so I went and beat about 200 balls. Not really working on anything but tempo and shaping shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

2 buckets at the range tonight just trying to dig it out of the dirt. Driver came back around once I realized that my biggest flaw, a lack of shoulder turn, has decided to show up again. Make a full turn and there we go - decent drives.

The setting sun make things difficult for a bit so once that became an issue I just worked on wedges to 50 and 75 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two buckets... Some good, some bad. Just a lot of mixed-up swings. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The last 3 nights Ive hit the range with my alignment sticks. Running the whole bag. This has helped my game and this is really the first time since 2 carpal tunnell surgeries thay I could really pound large buckets multiple days. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Tonight's practice:

Spoiler alert: I didn't win.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Played a practice 9. First time on the course since January 5th. I planned on playing 4 holes to ease back into things but was feeling good so kept going. I wasn't as bad as I expected, learning to trust that it doesn't hurt to swing will take a bit of time.

When I put a positive swing on the ball it went well. Once I got going I was very happy with driver and fairways. Irons were a bit rough, but got better. So happy to get out there.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

High-ho High-ho, Tomorrow to the course I go!

While a humidity reading of 35% is low in much of America, in AZ, that is near brutal when added to 109º at the local range.🌵

Today was 5 shots with every club in the bag for tomorrow.  I started with an "unofficial" 20 shots with my 50º wedge and my 6i and 10 whacks with the Orange Whip®.

Making sure I had focused on an appropriate target for the club at hand, I took some time with each club to set my mind on the best action per club.  So, in truth, I eliminated any built in excuses if things were not good.  So this is the run down:

Wedges: I was quite pleased with these results. Really solid 50º with nice 100 yard shots on target.  Good loft allowed for a nice grab with smart roll.  56º was good, though usually about 2-5 yards right of the target line.  And very nice repertoire of results, including nifty looking and action from my "Phil Flops", executed with my 60º

Irons: They were primarily good and some great all own the line.  My 6i has been a bit of a pain the last few days. Loft and distance has been good but the percentage right or left made it a crap shoot. Though all made for an acceptable next shot.the 7i was quite comfortable leaving me with great total results.  9i, which I treat as a sort of wedge, was used from a bit rough.  I landed well on the green I targeted; but left with some rough finish. I ended up needing a good set up 1st putt to hope to finish in 2.

Hybrids: Solid in terms of distance and direction.  Both the 3h(19º) 4h (22º) had proper loft as well, leaving me with consistent ball speed and nice results I would want from second shots after the tee.  The 5h (24º) did not give me steady loft even though the distance met the intended target.

Woods: My GX-7 serves as my 3 wood.  Nice when aiming for targets 160 or so.  I was able to get 140 off the turf.  My :ping-small: G5 Driver gave me consistent 200-210 yards with some really nice cool fades.  Today's results ended up in my target fairway to leave a nice second shot.

I give myself a strong B+ grade for the day, as I had at least one "where the hell did that come from"  🤬 smack in each grouping.

I came home and did putting work in the house at 35º lower temp.

On to the wilds of a course tomorrow.  Already have 4, 32oz PowerAde® in the fridge and a few munchable items for those moments when the joys of my diabetes kicks in.!

Worked on staying behind the ball better, particularly with my driver, for 1/2 hour.

Spent 1/2 hour chipping with different irons.

Should have gotten a massage, instead 🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I did not go to the course today.     I know... I know!!
I got a massage.  

Works for me

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Went to the range after work to get some time in with the irons, they have been misbehaving lately. Started out by shanking the wedges, then proceeded to chunk the irons. Well, the grass at my range is tore up pretty bad so I had to move the ball toward the back to not hit out off a mass of divots. That put me closer to the rope than I like, so I started swinging steeper. That's when I started to see the results I was going for. I think I had fallen into trying to help the ball into the air.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I will focus primarily on what I do before my rounds.

Body stretches  I use a club in hand while doing these. 10  knee bends with a lifting the club with 2 hands over my head. 10 sort of toe touches with knees bend, after pull up again rechristen over my head. Holding the club in front of me, I rotate the body above the wist and then below the waist.

After this pure physical motions, I take 5-10 swings with my Orange Whip®.

Finally, I hit the following: 5 each 56º wedge, 6i, 3h and finally driver,  Then I am ready to go.

I posted details of today's round in the thread about game results.

The last three rounds for me have been some of my best golf of my life, but I just can't seem to translate those feelings to the range.

I spent a bucket yesterday hitting nothing but wedges. Was OK. I really need to consider moving up to a 52 degree and 56 degree instead of my current 54/60 setup. There is just not a lot of confidence in the 60, and I have a big distance gap between my gap wedge (48 degrees) and 54 degree that causes problems from time to time. To get 105-125 yards, I either have to step on the 54 or try flighting the gap wedge down, neither of which is a good strategy for me.

I went back today focused on working on my driver and mid irons. Both were a major disappointment. I was able to hit several straight drives, but my distance with both the driver and 7 iron was less than usual. According to my Swing Caddie, I've actually lost 5-8 MPH in swing speed over the last week or two, so that's really frustrating. I'm pretty sure it's just sequencing, but it was very disheartening to see such poor numbers.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver