jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

On 1/13/2019 at 8:17 PM, revkev said:

A lovely time on the range followed by a quick nine: had six of these drives on the course today:

IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG

I know this may look like nothing to many of you but my average driver SS on this device in September was 88. Today it was nearly 95. I averaged almost 240 today. That’s what I averaged off the tee when I was a 1. I’m pretty pumped right now. There’s lots of things I still do well on the golf course. A tad more distance could go a long, long way.

Really awesome .. nice!! You've clearly put in a lotta hard work and it's gotta be satisfying to see those positive results. Good luck knocking 'em down this year and reaching your goals 👍

• Like 2

Been doing a lot of indoor chipping and pitching in the garage "studio" this Winter; anywhere from half hour to an hour to three or more and almost daily. Focusing on the basics from the past few lessons and working to make those good movements "my" swing.

Mixing it up with different clubs / same turn + effort (eg. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4) vs same club / different turn + effort. Occasionally mix in a few full swings, with the wedges or a 6i or 5i, and always making sure I'm still doing the proper movements and learning to make good contact.

The other day I added in a simulated ball-below-the-feet-lie .. a problem situation for me .. by standing on two balance disks and hitting half shots with a few different clubs, trying to maintain my swing posture and make clean contact...

IMG_20190116_155147726_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.e0536b71235e0c54026797af86bb3a45.jpg

The yellow stick in the middle (an old windsurf sail batten) is a tip from my first lesson with my current pro - use it to first line up the ball position, then make sure you weight-shift and rotate to finish "over", on the target side, of the stick. Really helpful!!

• Like 2

Also been swinging the Orange Whip pretty frequently. This is an *excellent* training aid and a really useful warmup tool before a round.

Helps with sequencing, balance and weight transfer, rhythm and tempo, conditioning the golf muscles, etc etc etc.

It's really helping me a LOT!

For anyone even remotely interested in this thing - get one!

(..I know budgets are tight for some, but this is one swing training aid that "checks the boxes" - easy to pick up and use, direct and immediate feedback, also works for warmup / stretching and a truly helpful tool that you will pick up again and again..)

• Like 4

Spent some time with my teacher today - didn’t intend to but he was finished with a lesson and came over to take a look at what I was up to.

Always nice to have a trained eye who knows your swing taking a peek. He was pleased with what he saw - He couldn’t believe that I was hitting wedge to and sometimes past the a flag that was 130. (Neither could I)

Just need to constantly work on my sequencing - the swing is really there, just need to be sure to keep it in good order.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

I took my first lesson ever yesterday. Was working on the right things but not understanding the whole picture. Much better understanding now and excited to work on things discussed. 

• Like 5

Setup my putting station to practice rolling balls through the gate to work on start line and roll while watching golf last night and today.  I start a 1* of error and work my way to 0.5* of error.  Decided to try one of my other putters and think that my MLA will be in the bag for tomorrows round.   Was consistently rolling it end over end and through the smallest gate.  

Wish I could come up with a way to work on my short game while watching TV.  

• Like 3

Lots of putting today on the puttout mat with my puttout and ER2. Putting with my ER2 is like riding a bike - alignment and start direction was spot on so I just really need to dialing my pace back in after not hitting a putt for almost 6 weeks. 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2019 at 3:45 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

I took my first lesson ever yesterday. Was working on the right things but not understanding the whole picture. Much better understanding now and excited to work on things discussed. 

Awesome dude. Keep at it and make sure you communicate with your instructor if you're not understanding the concepts or moves he's teaching you 

• Like 1

Massive practice session, hit 6 3/4 wedges, hit about 20 chips and then finished with 6 full swing wedges.
Probably over did things, shoulder pulled up pretty sore. Working on a solid stretching program to try and get some range of motion back.
Not going to try and play until I can hit 40 full swings in a session

• Like 3

First day out with a club after double cRpal tunnel.surgery. Awsys away from any other clubs besides the putter. Went to the course and hit about 40 puta. Fwlt good to just be out. 

• Like 3

Saturday afternoon on the practice green - half hour of chipping and putting. I do that almost every weekend.

• Like 3

IMG_1398.JPG

Headed out to the chip and putt today. Spent about 30 mins chipping and working on wedge game. Then another 30-45 mins putting with the new Ping.

Then finished it off by hitting a bucket of balls. Trying to work out some swing inconsistencies. Having a lot of hooks with my irons lately. Think a lot of it is laziness and doing too much with my arms.

• Like 1

Last night I chipped about 20 balls before I had to stop as my hands were hurting. Today I did about 40 balls before it got to my hands. I then walked 18 with another member just to get some fresh air. sun, and some ecercise after being pretty inactive the last month.

• Like 2

IMG_1605.JPG

Always keep a wedge, putter and sleeve in my trunk - most Saturdays I get to the practice green and chip and putt for half an hour.

I followed that pattern today.

• Like 2

Hit the range and putting green today. Trying to rid them pesky winter kinks. After 2 buckets of balls I could tell I’m out of “golfing” shape. But that’s why I bought the unlimited balls at my courses driving range. At only $75 a year it was a no-brainer.

• Like 4

Hit the range, bunker and putting green this morning. Also did my first ASD protocol this afternoon.

I really worked on trying to simulate play after I warmed up - drive, approach, bunker, putt it out, drive, approach, chip putt it out.

The one bummer is that our rough is dormant - I think Innisbrook overseeds it’s rough so that could bite me.

I’m going to try and find some range time again tomorrow.

• Like 2

Hit the range today to get into my new driver swing and work on my short game. Hit about 30 drives and 20 wedge shots then took the rest of the bucket to the chipping green... I really need to spend more time on chipping..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Spent two hours hitting balls indoors today on GC Quad and focused on gapping for carry distances. Overall the swing and clubs produced what I would have expected and it was a good session. Best result was the hybrid and two iron are essentially interchangeable based on wind conditions. The entire bag slotted where I needed it with stock swings and the 100% full swing shots got me what I needed.

• Like 4

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, revkev said:

Hit the range, bunker and putting green this morning. Also did my first ASD protocol this afternoon.

I really worked on trying to simulate play after I warmed up - drive, approach, bunker, putt it out, drive, approach, chip putt it out.

The one bummer is that our rough is dormant - I think Innisbrook overseeds it’s rough so that could bite me.

I’m going to try and find some range time again tomorrow.

I love when things worked out - this practice session led to a not bad for this time of the year where I'm only playing 2 or 3 times a month 77 at the Innisbrook South course.  As predicted I had some trouble with the rough as it is different there from the Bayou - they seem to plant it so that you have lots of shots into the green and into the grain Bermuda, dormant or not, is extremely tricky.  I also had some issues in the 40-70 yard range - not surprising either - I haven't been playing much nor have I practiced those shots.

So I was supposed to play with Foz today but had something come up (actually the something is the President of my Church body is coming to visit the beginning of next week to do a video about Church workers at my parish - I'm going to be in the video so it's a huge deal)  I did have time to hit the range this morning which I did.  I was disappointed in my driver swing speed but just like with the SuperSpeed training I'm slower in the morning and honestly I had a bit of a hangover.  I was still up into the low to mid 90's, ball speed mid 130's, distance 225-235 on voice caddy so it wasn't horrid.  Generally speaking I'm a few yards longer with my regular ball than with range balls.  More important is that I was consistent through the bag, hitting the ball nicely and on target.

I had a flag that was 67 and one that was 82 to aim at so I did and with a couple of different wedges, alternating between the 56, 52 and 60 to execute those shots (couldn't reach the 82 with the 60 but it was fun to try).  Clearly I need that kind of work.  Funeral tomorrow so I will hit the practice green again between that service and our regular Saturday evening one.  But this week will be a lost golf week, my wife and I are going to a play Sunday after Church, Penny and I are going to Spring training on Monday, President Harrison comes on Tuesday - maybe I can go to the range again next Friday. 

• Like 2

IMG_1622.JPG

Weather here is gorgeous but not enough time to play means more practice.

Funeral this morning, premarital counseling session and church this evening. Brought workout clothes and SuperSpeed sticks. Did that protocol between the funeral and the counseling session. Went to the practice green at the latest cal muni to chip and putt between that session and the evening service. :)

• Like 1