jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Spent 1.5 hours at the practice green... somehow my putting is amazing. Made about 50% of all the putts from 7’ to 15’. Around 75% of them inside 6’.

I’ll take that all day.

Also, my green side control hasn’t missed a beat. Laying the 60° wide open and hitting that Low spinner that lands like a butterfly with sore feet. Stopping them dead at 15 and 20 yards.

30-50 yards I was averaging about 12’ from the flag. I’ll take that for now.

IMG_5353.thumb.JPG.572bf069b4ddc57738d071ec7ec33de1.JPG

(40 yard pitches with the Hi Toe)

The high chip seems to be my forte, the low roller is a bit hard for me to get on the right line. I’d rather just throw it pin high with spin and stop it... much higher percentage for me.

• Like 5

It is a perfect day weather wise so even though I have a super long honey-do list I had to go to the range for at least a half hour.

The range was packed so I grabbed one of the few open stalls and started progressing through the bag, mostly working on ball position, putting the ball a little further back in my stance. I am hitting the ball more cleanly but I did have a couple of hosel rockets which is rare but a I chalked that up to the change in ball position.

Then, the entire Cal-Berkeley Ladies Golf Team shows up at the range and they all place their bags down in the two stalls next to mine as those were the only ones open.

Of course, now I’m thinking “please don’t let me shank one” as these gals were just hitting perfect shots.

I hit 3 solid iron shots and then like George Costanza I left on a high note and got the hell out of there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Quick pit stop at the range today while it was closed. It was snowing....

Working on an exaggeration drill a little and then hit these beautiful low draw 50 yarders with the PW.

IMG_5376.JPG

• Like 1

IMG_5377.JPG

Put in some more work today aside from the 50 yard shots.

This is the purest shot I’ve hit all year. Smoked a PW, my shot shape this year is going to be a fade. My draw at full speed will be a 1 yard fade. At least I can eliminate the left side of the course.

New strategy for the year.

• Like 3

Finally found time to work on chipping and putting. Yuck that was a rough practice session. 70% from 3ft and 50% from 6ft on putting. That may explain why I’m posting 0 for anything on up and downs.

Hopefully the weather cooperates so I can practice again. Because boy oh boy do I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Sorry, missed this. Here ya go.

tapatalk_1555692774504.jpg.bc8844f5b6147cb5bb80d202077acc64.jpgtapatalk_1555692782402.jpg.83489b4be3af4ef358bae2d585790121.jpgtapatalk_1555692789064.jpg.0acc7aa558067b37c315aa25f48f2d7c.jpg

Looks like a great place to spend a summer evening with a few adult beverages

• Like 2

Looks like a great place to spend a summer evening with a few adult beverages

Thanks. I'm sure enjoying it. And because it's sand and infill based, it'll need tune-ups from time to time.

Months after install last summer, I opted for the free tune-up. But here on out, every 12-18 months is recommended, it'd be roughly $350 to have it done. Can't have that.

I paid close attention to install and closer attention to the tune-up process. Shortly after, I bought the rake, the specific infill, drop spreader, a roller and a stimpmeter.

Just last week, I tuned it myself for the first time. My gosh, I thought it putted well before but now it's fantastic. I'm so psyched that I can now tend to it and adjust speed as I like. I currently have it rolling at 14 downgrade, 10 up, roughly 12 across.

I wanted it very fast because I really need to improve my touch. It's paying dividends and strangely enough, most significantly on lags which are much longer than I can practice on my own green.

Overall since its install last May, my putting has vastly improved. So has my summer adult beverage drinking.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

Sorry, missed this. Here ya go. emoji4.png

tapatalk_1555692774504.jpgtapatalk_1555692782402.jpgtapatalk_1555692789064.jpg

Oh holy *^$@. I want!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

Sorry, missed this. Here ya go. emoji4.png

tapatalk_1555692774504.jpgtapatalk_1555692782402.jpgtapatalk_1555692789064.jpg

But... but... Dave Pelz has chipping greens too!!

Absolutely beautiful!  

• Like 3

Had to go across town to find grass range as I cant hit off mats for the time being. Focused on figuring out why my 5w is pulling on me. Usally this club is dead straight or slight fade. Got it straightened out and it seemed I was forgetting to fire my hips and was all arms which happens with my irons on an occasion.

Also worked on putting after adding new grip and adding 1.25 inches to shaft. Like it thus far.

Off for 18 then back home for yardwork. 

• Like 1

Had another opportunity to work on my chipping and putting today. Much better from 3ft today. 84%.

Same results from 6ft. 50%

My chipping left something to be desired with my 52* wedge, but had much better success with the 56*.

With league play tomorrow, I may only use the 56* until I get things settled.

• Like 2

Hit some balls at the range today as courses are all either closed or walking only right now. Either way, they're water logged and not much fun to play. Worked on my drills, and getting my left shoulder down and under. Strikes were pretty good. Very happy with the progression so far.

Also spent half an hour chipping and putting. Green was slow and soft from the rain, but it was good to get some practice with the short game.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Had such a nice time on the range today. Under the Eagle’s watchful eye I checked my gapping from longest iron to driver lingering with 3 wood working especially on not trying to help it I to the air - best and most consistently I’ve hit that club in a long time.

Hit pitches to the practice green but seemed to have no touch there (it was only when I went to hit my 60 full that I discovered why - I grabbed the 56 accidentally so of course I was hitting it too far - duh)

Hit about 20 8 irons trying to hit the ball as straight as possible (Did well).

Just a great day. Feel good about where the game is heading

• Like 4

Been doing a lot of chipping and pitching over the winter inside in the garage "studio", working on good contact and on moving better through the ball. 

Happened to catch a segment on GC the other day with Martin Hall where he talked - very briefly - about a tip from Tiger on pitching, which was: lead with the chest.

Didn't really make sense to me but tried it out in the garage - and man I think that Tiger dude is on to something 😉

I guess possibly it's his "feel" for keeping the arms connected ... after only a few tries I was making nice, crisp contact and felt like I'll be able to have better distance and trajectory control. Gonna keep working on it!

Also been able to get out on the few nicer days here and there for 9 hole Par 3 rounds, which have been great for wedge and short iron practice. 

• Like 3

Had a very rare combination of no work and gorgeous weather (never happens) so I decided to make the most of it with a 4 hour practice session this afternoon.

Took the vintage bag to the range and that was a blast from the past - vintage practice sesh

I also spent 3 hours on the putting green with the Bettinardi Armlock SS38 - hot date with Betti

Man I love practice!

• Like 5

But... but... Dave Pelz has chipping greens too!!
Absolutely beautiful!  

Oh holy *^$@. I want!

Thanks so much guys. I'm still ecstatic at the idea of having a green, the reality of it is amazing.

Even better, it was all my non-golfer wife's idea.

I thought she was just teasing. I handle all of our finances and of course we discuss all. Over breakfast in February of last year she said, "I know we discuss everything but because I work hard for my money, there's something that I'd really like to have and I just don't want to leave it up to any discussion. I want it."

Now, I'm thinking she's gonna say new car or something and I'm already formulating a firm defense in my mind. She dances around things some more when I ask her to just come out with it already.

"I want a backyard putting green," she says assertively.

I literally dropped my spoon into my bowl of cereal. I was actually insulted that she'd tease me so heartlessly about a thou-shalt-not-go-there subject. One entirely off limits to mere teasing.

She wasn't and made her point very clear, so I said, "I can't believe that you wanna do this for me."

She replied, "wait... no, I mean... you'll use it, right? Yeah, that's good, you should. But I just want it because it'll look nice and I have a specific vision for that space."

I mean...

Whatever, she meant it and we got it. It'll be a full year soon and I still can't believe it.

What's even better still??? She asked recently, "hey, do you think we should add one of those sand pits next to the green?"

"Uh, yeah honey... heck yeah. I hear those sand pits are all the rage, let's do it!!!"
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

Oh yeah .. she's a keeper!! 👍

• Like 1

Met up with @mr.hicksta today at the practice greens/range but it was rained out so we just swapped a couple of sleeves of balls, and shot the sh*t a little. Super cool guy and hopefully we get to tee it up soon!

Went back home for a couple of hours and the weather cleared up a little so I headed back. Hit a small bucket and was just trying to figure out why I've been a hosel lord recently. I think I'm just losing my levels and moving my head too much. Once I focused on not moving my head, it was back to crispy Mizuno butter town. Then spent about 90 minutes mostly practicing 8-15 footers (trying to make 3/3) and practiced 2-putting from a bunch of 25+ foot distances.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

What's even better still??? She asked recently, "hey, do you think we should add one of those sand pits next to the green?"

"Uh, yeah honey... heck yeah. I hear those sand pits are all the rage, let's do it!!!" emoji16.png

Unicorn!!

I married one too.

• Like 2