jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Had a lesson with the pro yesterday on wedges. MAN! I've been doing it all wrong for decades, no wonder wedge play is the weakest part of my game.

He demonstrated the correct technique he's used on the euro tour and prob the way all good players do it, and the strikes he had were beautiful. It's going to take practice, lots of practice to bed in the correct way, but I'm now looking forward to it.

He used trackman and at the end of the lesson he did a friendly competition using trackman, 1 ball, nearest to hitting a 50yd carry wedge. I was 56yds (bad strike), he was 49.8!!!! another world he plays in.😮😄

• Like 6

Had a little fun Wednesday evening getting some on course practice in on the back 9.  Metalwoods are dead in the water right now, and my once firing irons/wedges went missing.  Did a little trial and error and figured that my tempo (public enemy #1) was out of whack, pulled the metronome app out of my bag for 50 yard wedge work, and kazaam that nice little green circle reappeared.  Finished the evening with some much needed putting practice.  Operation #breakingbogey is back on track!

• Like 5

I hit a bucket at lunch and it was SO MUCH better than last time. I went back to the standard of having soft arms and hands and actually feeling the clubhead through out the swing. It’s amazing what going back to basics can do. I was even poking my 5i out there with a consistent baby fade which was amazing to see. I’d love to be able to keep that up through the season!

I didn’t bother with driver due to the position of the sun so it was good to just work on setup, takeaway, etc and stay target focused with the irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I actually went to the range and hit balls today. Worked on airborne and forward with mission accomplished. As most of you can tell I hate beating balls.

• Like 3

Worked on being the same guy that I was on the front nine on Sunday and I’m league Tuesday.

It worked

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

Worked on being the same guy that I was on the front nine on Sunday and I’m league Tuesday.

It worked

Congratulations!  Lately, I have been the same guy that I was on the front nine last Sunday... unfortunately.  I need to work on being someone else!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Congratulations!  Lately, I have been the same guy that I was on the front nine last Sunday... unfortunately.  I need to work on being someone else!

I would Channel any swing but mine right now.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

I would Channel any swing but mine right now.

Please, take mine. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GB13 said:

Please, take mine. 

Can I keep my swing, but have your clubhead speed?  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Please, take mine. 

Sold. Buyer beware

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Sold. Buyer beware

...But that's not all! I'll include the plastic tarp you'll need to patch a window, after you hit 10 Shanks in a row. Thank you for your business! 🙂

• Haha 2

Don’t go changing to try and please me. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, revkev said:

Don’t go changing to try and please me. 🙂

I've been trying to please myself.  To do that it all needs to click together, not one at a time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FINALLY got to hit balls for the first time in over a month!!!! I got 2 large buckets and started with just 1/2 swings working on getting my knuckles down through impact. Then I hit full 7 irons, PW, driver, back to 50*, then driver, then finished with pitches. It was hot, but it sure was nice to swing again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

After a bad round on Saturday with healy drives, ballooned push fade drives, thinned irons and 1 'unmentionable', I came across some recent drills Claude Harmon posted re driver and irons, describing my issues perfectly.
The drills are outstanding on the range, and simple to execute, really enjoyed an hour hitting crisp irons with draw and solid drives. Cant use it on the course (well you actually could but might look a bit silly) but hoping it will bed into my swing with practice.

Heres a link if anyone is interested...........
https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/instruction-features/january/april/driving-tips-with-claude-harmon/#drills 

Just call those “unmentionables” Alan, all the cool kids are doing it.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a quick impromptu lesson today. Really need to work on power. I have no lag in my swing and my body movement is all outta whack. I don’t get horrible numbers out of my swing now....but really makes me curious as to what’d happen if I actually learn how to swing..

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Played a Par 3 that turned into a practice round after a first tee Mulligan - two guys in a cart cut across just as I got into the downswing.... Followed by a second tee Mulligan after an OB left.... Followed by a 4th tee Mulligan OB right (some of the holes are very tight!)....

5th hole was ok - tee shot pin high left but up on a hill, made a nice chip at an awkward angle downhill to within a foot.

6th hole disaster, but... Somehow managed to finish the last 3 in good style!

---

Oops! Forgot to mention what I was working on - which is the new swing positions on takeaway, in transition and on the downswing from my last lesson about a week or so ago. I know it doesn't sound like it yet, but it does feel like I'm making progress towards hitting the ball better and doing it more frequently.

Edited by cksurfdude
  • Like 1

My wife insisted I go to the range. Who was I to argue? I hit a small bucket just working on my backswing and transition. Only hit PW and 7i. When I start down too quickly it’s guaranteed to be a fade. When I let the club set on it’s own I end up with a nice divot and a pretty straight shot.

Ended up at the chipping green and worked on picking my landing spot. Had a few from 40 feet out that ended a few inches from the cup so I’m happy with that.

We’ve got a scramble coming up that the company paid for some of us to be in, and I’m in the group with the company’s president so I want to bring a decent game with me.

• Like 2

Posted earlier in the PING G410 thread on this, but I was finally able to hobble out to the range in-between thunderstorms. Generally a little weak with irons to start, but after the rust shook off, I grabbed my G410 driver and went to town. 10 best shots averaged 245 and most were manageable being either straight or with a slight fade.

Cool thing was I brought my 8-year old Son along for the first time and let him go to town. He had a heck of a time with mechanics (he plays baseball and it shows) and kept following through with only his left hand on the club. Once he even lost the grip completely and sent it up and over toward the fellas behind me..! Luckily I saw it go and shouted "HEADS!!!" as it landed without hitting any one...whew! Like a chip off the 'ole block, he is...😜 He has a "small" journey to undertake before he's anywhere near my friend @GolfSpy MPR's young Mr. Kirke for sure..!

But he's so fired up, he's willing to go with me early tomorrow while I play and watch from the cart. I maybe will let him putt a few (he practices with me all the time in the living room) so long as the group I'm with is OK with that.

Nice to have a new "Pard" ridding along...😂

• Like 4

Got back to the range to work on my full swing after my wrist surgery, been about six weeks since the procedure and I am finally able to take full swings without much discomfort. Hoping to take the wife out for a chip and putt round tomorrow.

• Like 4