jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

5 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Posted earlier in the PING G410 thread on this, but I was finally able to hobble out to the range in-between thunderstorms. Generally a little weak with irons to start, but after the rust shook off, I grabbed my G410 driver and went to town. 10 best shots averaged 245 and most were manageable being either straight or with a slight fade.

Cool thing was I brought my 8-year old Son along for the first time and let him go to town. He had a heck of a time with mechanics (he plays baseball and it shows) and kept following through with only his left hand on the club. Once he even lost the grip completely and sent it up and over toward the fellas behind me..! Luckily I saw it go and shouted "HEADS!!!" as it landed without hitting any one...whew! Like a chip off the 'ole block, he is...😜 He has a "small" journey to undertake before he's anywhere near my friend @GolfSpy MPR's young Mr. Kirke for sure..!

But he's so fired up, he's willing to go with me early tomorrow while I play and watch from the cart. I maybe will let him putt a few (he practices with me all the time in the living room) so long as the group I'm with is OK with that.

Nice to have a new "Pard" ridding along...😂

That's awesome! Having this time with a son at the course is priceless.

Attended a graduation open house this afternoon for a young lady from our church. Her family asked Kirke to bring his clubs, because they wanted to see him hit some balls:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

That's awesome! Having this time with a son at the course is priceless.

Attended a graduation open house this afternoon for a young lady from our church. Her family asked Kirke to bring his clubs, because they wanted to see him hit some balls:

WOW...Just WOW!!!! Keep at it young man!!! Thanks for sharing this Bud!

• Like 2

After being told that my irons are fine by the fitter, went to the range and hit them beautifully. Sometimes you just need a professional opinion. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

After our league round was cancelled due to bucketloads of rain I went to a covered range because something was off.

After the last few balls in the first bucket I figured it out, went and got another bucket and can't wait to get back out again!

(fwiw: might have just set the record for the most times using the word bucket in a single post)

• Like 1

After our league round was cancelled due to bucketloads of rain I went to a covered range because something was off.
After the last few balls in the first bucket I figured it out, went and got another bucket and can't wait to get back out again!
(fwiw: might have just set the record for the most times using the word bucket in a single post)

Was that record on your bucket list? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, revkev said:

Was that record on your bucket list? 🙂

my bucket runneth over.... 😉 

• Like 2

Range session last night was a mixed bag.

I actually set up my practice session like I used to run my soccer coaching sessions, and it made a huge difference.

Warm-Up - get ready to practice
Block Practice - work on only one feeling or swing thought
Skills Challenge - keep score of something 

I walked away feeling like I learned something about myself in the fact that I need to follow the same pre-shot routine, even when I am frustrated.

• Like 1

Did players iron most wanted testing last night. Some of the worst ball striking I have had in a long time. Hit about 8 of those shots that go sharply right off the hosel. I generally fight toe hits so this was really unexpected. Hole this doesn’t creep into my golf league match tonight.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Back to basics yesterday.  Focused on making better contact and getting my club in a better position on the downswing.  For me it’s keeping that downswing on a single plane.

I went to my local range and picked up a small bucket...about 35 balls...

With just a 6 iron, I started the way Dustin Johnson practices his wedges.  Controlling distances.

Warmed up at 20 yard shots and built up to full swings and then worked back down to 20 yards.  I spent almost 75 minutes on this bucket and did not rush myself. 

• Like 2

Went to the range again tonight and decided to post results here rather than bore the readers of the PING G410 testers thread again-if only to break things up a bit...

Continued my journey to find and be comfortable with a repeatable driver swing and it is coming along pretty darn good me thinks. Snagged up a med-bucket and did some minimal warm-ups before going to town with driver again with 30 shots recorded with it alone. No bombs past 250 at all tonight (have been seeing some between 260-270, if only occasionally) but all in all, just good, and mostly consistent drives that generally go straight or out with a slight fade right. I can deal with that. Average was 230 and I'd take any of them during play. I cannot think of a range session where I hit driver more consistently over-and-over again. It feels good and most of all is just plain FUN!

Sunday I play. And Sunday I pray that I can take this new-found revelation to the course and show a little sumthin', sumthin'... Irons are pretty "OK" now and wedges rule. Putting is "meh" but coming along. The new-found confidence I am getting with driver is something I hope to see trickle down a bit for more pars and maybe even more birdie chances.

This G410 SFT driver is some kind of awesome club. Go try one...NOW!😎

(The preceding message has been paid for by NO ONE. Your mileage WILL vary)

• Like 5

Did players iron most wanted testing last night. Some of the worst ball striking I have had in a long time. Hit about 8 of those shots that go sharply right off the hosel. I generally fight toe hits so this was really unexpected. Hole this doesn’t creep into my golf league match tonight.

I am all too familiar with the hosel right now and I will pray for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Some putting practice, followed by about an hour of chipping. First real session on the chipping green this year. Really happy with how it went, felt like I really had control of the club face.

By the time I get back to playing my short game should hopefully be really sharp.

• Like 5

Took my new knee to the practice area today.  Putted with the Bettinardi armlock putter for awhile, then moved over and chipped with my 60 degree wedge for about 100 balls.  Feeling frisky, grabbed my pitching wedge and walked over to the driving range.  Started hitting some easy half wedges and worked my way up to full swings at 80% power.  Felt good to be back out hitting the ball after a month+ off.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Took my new knee to the practice area today.  Putted with the Bettinardi armlock putter for awhile, then moved over and chipped with my 60 degree wedge for about 100 balls.  Feeling frisky, grabbed my pitching wedge and walked over to the driving range.  Started hitting some easy half wedges and worked my way up to full swings at 80% power.  Felt good to be back out hitting the ball after a month+ off.  

That is terrific! Don’t overdo it Grasshopper!!
Your way ahead of me , I can’t hit 100 wedges yet.

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, CarlH said:

That's great! How'd the putter feel? Annnnnd how do you feel after that workout?

20 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

That's great! How'd the putter feel? Annnnnd how do you feel after that workout?

I'm liking the putter.  After the practice time, I had a bit of lunch then went to the grocery store for the DW.  Knee is barking just a bit letting me know that I should just sit for awhile 🙂  THanks for asking!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rickp said:

That is terrific! Don’t overdo it Grasshopper!!
Your way ahead of me , I can’t hit 100 wedges yet.

Yeah, but I'm nursing a right knee.  You're dealing with a shoulder.  I'd think you'd have more issues than me.  You take it easy, too!

• Like 3

Yesterday I hit up the short game area at Navy Marine Golf Course and worked on a variety of short game shots to include flops, short sided flops, pitch shots from 10, 20 and 30 yards, bunker shots and the trusty hinge and hold method. It was a productive session!

• Like 5

Yesterday I hit up the short game area at Navy Marine Golf Course and worked on a variety of short game shots to include flops, short sided flops, pitch shots from 10, 20 and 30 yards, bunker shots and the trusty hinge and hold method. It was a productive session!

I got tired reading your practice routine
Sounds like you’re going to have a great season!

• Like 2

Yeah, but I'm nursing a right knee.  You're dealing with a shoulder.  I'd think you'd have more issues than me.  You take it easy, too!

True, I did hurt my shoulder a bit on that freakin mat Thursday. Never going to hit on a mat again.