jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

I hit three bags of balls in 95* heat yesterday. Even the girl at the counter said, “You sure?! It’s really hot today...”
I was WORN out by the end. One day this swing is gonna click... One day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

I hit three bags of balls in 95* heat yesterday. Even the girl at the counter said, “You sure?! It’s really hot today...”
I was WORN out by the end. One day this swing is gonna click... One day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hit 3 giant jumbo buckets today in 70° weather. I almost melted myself.

$20 for all day access to the range all you can hit, Short Game area, putting green and a little grass putting course.

Pretty nice having something like that. Even had good range balls. I’m used to paying $8 for sand covered lost and founds. And they don’t even fill it up.

• Like 4

Hit a little short game practice area for a bit, getting used to my kinda new 52 and 60 wedges. Just outta curiosity, what kind of situations do you guys use the 60 with a full swing? I feel pretty solid with the club on partial swings, but something about full swings gets all kinds of inconsistent.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Hit a little short game practice area for a bit, getting used to my kinda new 52 and 60 wedges. Just outta curiosity, what kind of situations do you guys use the 60 with a full swing? I feel pretty solid with the club on partial swings, but something about full swings gets all kinds of inconsistent.

I never put a full swing on my 60.  It's a feel club for me.  If I am at a distance that would require a full swing, I'm going to controlled shots with my 54 just like the shots I would do with the 60.

"A man's got to know his limitations," and I know I'm not good enough to full swing a 60 with consistent results.

• Like 5

Today I turned 52 so my daugter pushed the cart around te course for an evening 9 after our rib-eye steak dinner. Chily and very windy which means the 1st years play in to the wind. Shot 41. Nothing spectacular and putting was not good. Missed a number of 3-6 footers for par. No big numbers was my goal for the night so that was a success. 

Good time with my kid as well

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ncwoz said:

I asked my pro during a wedge lesson a similar question i.e what's the technique for a full swing with my 48/52/54?

He said "Why?, why would you put a full swing on a scoring club? if you cant reach without a full swing on a 54, hit a 52"

as he's very experienced in tournaments and his wedge play is exceptional I'll bow down to his knowledge and advice.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I never put a full swing on my 60.  It's a feel club for me.  If I am at a distance that would require a full swing, I'm going to controlled shots with my 54 just like the shots I would do with the 60.

8 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Why?, why would you put a full swing on a scoring club? if you cant reach without a full swing on a 54, hit a 52"

Makes sense to me! One less thing to with on is more than fine in my eyes 👍

• Like 1

My 60’ sits in a dark corner of my garage. With the tight lies in this area I can’t get any grass under the ball. It’s a 54’ bent to 55’ as my go to.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

I am benching my 60° this year. I’ve already taken strokes off my game.

Think I am going to change my set up to 50, 55.
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I asked my pro during a wedge lesson a similar question i.e what's the technique for a full swing with my 48/52/54?

He said "Why?, why would you put a full swing on a scoring club? if you cant reach without a full swing on a 54, hit a 52"

as he's very experienced in tournaments and his wedge play is exceptional I'll bow down to his knowledge and advice.

Last couple of times out I've tried to embrace this. Found I'm better at distance control if I flight down a PW or GW instead of taking full swings with my 54 degree. 

Depending on the irons, of course, my next set of wedges will be stronger lofted. Maybe 52-56 or 50-54 depending on the stock PW/GW setup.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Shankster said:

Today I am heading to Boyne Mountain. They have a sweet short game area, and endless range balls.

Plan on spending a good portion of the day there. Alternating between long game, short game, and putting.

And maybe.... just maybe if the pro has an opening I am going to get a check up/lesson. emoji33.png

Boyne Mountain is beautiful! Hope the practice session was a success.

• Like 1

Boyne Mountain is beautiful! Hope the practice session was a success.

‘‘Twas a great success!

IMG_5872.JPG
  • Like 3

My follow up question would be what is that max swing you should put on those wedges? 1/2? 3/4? A little less than full?

I use full on my 54; it is my 100 yard club and I hit it well. 58 generally sits in the bag and comes out for greenside pitches and chips.
  • Like 4

....furthermore; why would you carry a club in your bag that you can't feel good about putting a full swing on?

not that you SHOULD do it, but if the situation calls for it.

Like @cnosil I rarely use my 58 for full swings but if I'm at the right distance with the right lie I have no problem doing it.  I suppose it's probably me, but when I try just less than a full swing I seem to decelerate on make a bad swing.

• Like 3

Didn’t hogan say not to hit wedges over 50 yards?

• Like 1

Didn’t hogan say not to hit wedges over 50 yards?

That was before all these jacked lofts and only having a couple of wedges in the bag.

• Like 1

That was before all these jacked lofts and only having a couple of wedges in the bag.

Haha. So did he just hit a lot of off speed 9 irons and such? I need to do some more research.
  • Like 2

Ben Hogan was also a professional golfer that practiced hitting thousands of golf balls and knew just how hard to swing to get the ball to go specific distances....

• Like 2

Ben Hogan was also a professional golfer that practiced hitting thousands of golf balls and new just how hard to swing to get the ball to go specific distances....

True. Greens weren’t as fast either probably.
  • Like 1

Today I practiced yelling at a radio for not stopping the nonsense. I am definitely breaking out the putting green today to get something golf related done to keep myself awake. 

• Like 1