jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Our Sponsors

Another small bucket at the range, gotta wait for that clubhead to set my wrists before I start down. If not, wipey fades. I really need to ingrain that on the range so I'm not thinking about it on the course.

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Day 4 for My 6i Redux 

I took all of the shots today as "full swing" but much slower tempo.  

The first 10 were slower that the last 10.  I wanted to make sure all went well through all of the positions of the swing.  Seemed a bit awkward at times; but, I sped up the actions to about 50% of what I usually take, I felt how it was all coming together.  

Topped 2 badly today in the first 5 but corrected.  

It was great seeing the ball loft well and take off rather straight.

I am working hard at not jumping the gun on this slow build of the club.  While I am chomping at the bit, I am working towards a long term ability to hit this club as needed.

• Like 3

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

More feet together shots today. This is a great reset drill. Video is showing a shallower swing.

Only 9,998 more hours to go.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Lots and lots of short game work over the past few days. Presently working on Utley's techniques, and I'm getting good results especially with chipping. Distance control with pitching is going to take some more practice.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.0 (Last Updated July 7, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff (soft-stepped), Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

2 hours ago, edingc said:

Lots and lots of short game work over the past few days. Presently working on Utley's techniques, and I'm getting good results especially with chipping. Distance control with pitching is going to take some more practice.

I'm a big fan of Stan Utley's short game teachings.  Got his book on the short game years ago.

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

FW: :taylormade-small:M4 - 3HL (16.5 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-W KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 60*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

6 hours ago, CarlH said:

I'm a big fan of Stan Utley's short game teachings.  Got his book on the short game years ago.

I just finished the book last night. I love the simplicity. I'm finding more and more opportunities to from 50 and in, so I'm really hoping this will help shave a few strokes per round.

• Like 3

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.0 (Last Updated July 7, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff (soft-stepped), Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

And, on it goes... Day 5 of the focus on the 6i

Today, after warm-up, I took all of the shots as somewhat gentle yet  full swings, mainly to keep comfortable with all of the aspects the swing, from address and aim through follow-through.

None were topped and for the most part they went in the direction aimed.  I hit two worm burners with no loft.  Sat down and went through the process, good loft after that.  It did feel far more comfortable and, for lack of another word, normal.

Tomorrow, I will speed up the down swing and go for more distances.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 4

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

And, on it goes... Day 5 of the focus on the 6i

Today, after warm-up, I took all of the shots as somewhat gentle yet  full swings, mainly to keep comfortable with all of the aspects the swing, from address and aim through follow-through.

None were topped and for the most part they went in the direction aimed.  I hit two worm burners with no loft.  Sat down and went through the process, good loft after that.  It did feel far more comfortable and, for lack of another word, normal.

Tomorrow, I will speed up the down swing and go for more distances.

Glad you are having some success!

I on the other hand... am not.

I can hit beautiful shots in my yard up to around 90 yards (checked with the neighbors, and as long as I don’t break anything we’re good)...

But I go to a place that resembles a golf course, you know a place with yard markers, and a hitting mat...

And I can’t get the ball to turn over for the life of me. Hit 5, yes 5 large buckets. The first one was a frustration filled half shots with feet together. All blocked or a fade.

Then I just smashed the heck out of the other 4 because what I am trying to do isn’t working!!! I feel like Doc Brown!!!!

IMG_6286.JPG
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Did a couple of backyard practice sessions today, hitting off a mat into a net, trying to work on my hip rotation on the downswing. It's not something I have focused on much before so is a bit of a challenge for me. I'm hitting my irons fairly consistently and quite often hitting it flush. Driver is hit or miss, but that's all off a mat into a net. The heat and humidity has been too oppressive lately to play to see if it will translate to the course. Hopefully I'll be able to play in next Thursdays coworker scramble and find out.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

Day 6 of the 6i Rebuild!

Today was a learning day.

After my usual pattern of physical warm-ups, it was on to fuller and fuller shots.

I decided today's target was my usual "fairway" at the range.  A 20 yard wide area that goes from my hitting area directly back 285 to the fence.  I know anything I hit there will be an acceptable shot.  As well, I can adjust my target either left or right and shoot towards a free, 140 to the left and 160 to the right.  But today I was working on finally adding some distance to the 6i.

I did not start off hitting for distance.  It was for direction and loft.  Started off fine, but I ended up will a pull when I started adding for more distance. Ok, I went back to a slower swing, and direction got better.

I now know I was so focused on how far, I ended up over hitting the ball by trying to gain too much speed.  SO...   tomorrow I need to take a step or two back to regain control.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 3

First time in a while that I made it out to the range for a real session. Seems like most of the times I've been to the range this year are immediately followed by a round so I haven't really had a ton of opportunities to just work on things. Didn't get too specific with anything, just trying to hit target and continue grooving my takeaway which has been the key to my improved ball striking this year. With just a couple of recent tweaks, I've managed to lower my ball flight with the irons and increase distance by nearly a full club. Contact is pure, and I really like the way the ball takes off. Hoping to keep hitting it this way for a while longer since my club championship is next month with the opportunity to qualify for a Ryder Cup-type event in October. 🙂 

• Like 2

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Day 399

As with yesterday, 20 shots with the 6i.

When I try not to blast the shot, my results are really better.

I have had good ball speeds, for me, consistently in the upper 90's. Distances today were averaging 160 and direction was fairly good, with one not too bad hook.

By saying "not blasting", I mean not trying to add more raw force and sheer muscle to my actions.  I also accept that the numbers above as what will be my normal full shot for the club.  Yes, many get greater distances but for me, an older duffer, having a very consistent result allows me plan for when and how I am using the club.

Tomorrow will be the end of the "make the 6i usable" and this weekend, I will be having the club joined by one in each direction: my 5h and 7i.  And, if I can find a cooler morning, I will take it to the course.

To my readers, thanks for putting up with this project!

• Like 4

Went to the range in 108* heat.... Took video to send to the coach. All I can say is the same things that were wrong when he looked at it last are STILL wrong today. My lower body/leg action sucks and is what causes me to be so inconsistent. I pray I get some drills back that will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Now that I have moved forward with my 6i, it was time to expand beyond it.

In today's practice I moved up to 21 strokes to allow 7 each with my 5h, 6i, and 7i in order to begin to solidify the mid section of my bag.

First the 6i, and it felt very good, with a bit more loft than yesterday but no loss in range or direction.  

I next moved down to the 5h, which has been OK of late, but without the loft I would like.

Loft was acceptable at best but at least direction and distance, for the most part, were what I expected. The aspect I noticed on first review of the video was that I was closing down the angle of attack.  I will focus on that over the next few days.  

7i was good. I was only 8-10 yards off of what I am now getting with the 6i, but the loft was what I liked today.  It allows me to keep the ball from overly long rolls after the landing.  I want someroll, but need to work on controlling it as much as I can to avoid hitting too far beyond the target.

As this was the first day on this next phase of my playing my bag of weapons, I will mark the direction of my work after more study of the film.

• Like 3

First time at the range in several weeks. They put a new grass in about a month ago and had both sides closed for three weeks and then we had the week of rain. Opened the back part up today. Went this afternoon primarily to work on trap shots. Hit 100 of those. That left 25 balls, hit 5 drives and the rest full lob wedges. Im trying to go from 48, 52, 56, 60 to 48, 52, 58.

Promising results with the 58 - it was very good out of the trap and dead on between the number of 60 and 56 with full shots - solid 80 yards into a little breeze. I can masse the 52 to cover the gap pretty well.

IMG_1259.thumb.JPG.dc1985a9026de0f7598f70eb627908d6.JPG

IMG_1260.thumb.JPG.618902e3e7186cd3b8f9731fde842936.JPG

The new grass looks great, doesn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I luck out in that the company I work for lets us flex hours and work when we want as long as we get the hours in. I'd been itching to hit the range after work but rain was looking imminent, so I quick packed up and scooted over to the range.

Got in 25 balls, really working on rotation and striking ball-then-ground, which felt great. My ball striking with my irons has been my biggest room for improvement lately. Felt the raindrops coming down as soon as the last club went back into the bag!

• Like 3

Right Handed

Driver: :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft, 9.5º)

FW: :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft, 15º)

Irons (PW-2): :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52 & 60): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B

Still on the 5h, 6i, 7i focus

Today I played a bit of a game: shot with 5h followed by a shot with either the 7i or 6i. Goal was to hit a total yard score and in the direction I was aimed at.

For example, I aimed at a green 275 yards out.  Depending on how well the 5h shot went, I would choose either of the irons to finish up. Intent was to be on the green OR leave myself a very playable chip.

Sometimes I was really happy and a few times invectives may have passed my lips.  Even the heat did not bother me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

For a while I have been feeling like I haven't been getting everything I should from my driver so I went by MGS headquarters to do a little testing on the GC quad.   Hit my stock shaft and an even flow black that they happened to have available.  Both shaft played to the stock g400 Max length.   With the evenflow I was able to get a little more ball speed and lower spin. Adam happened to be there and made the suggestion that I shorten the driver shaft to improve contact.  Got Sams G410 with a Ventus shaft that played 44.5" and got better ball contact and as a result higher ball speed.  Definitely a step in the right direction with the even flow and Ventus.  What I also saw was a decending to flat angle of attack and ball impact high on the face.    Changed up my swing a little to get an ascending AoA and was able to get it to about 2* which felt a bit odd.   Kept at it using Sams driver and was able to get my ball speed up to the mid to upper 150s with more center impact.    Swing speed was in the 109-114 range so I was really happy with that aspect of my swing.   Launch was in a good window when I fixed the angle of attack and spin was in the 2000-2200 range.

What did I learn?   Need to work on swinging up on the ball,  I need to shorten my driver to about 44", and I need to upgrade my shaft to something in the 60 gram range, and i need to figure out what shaft  will work best for me since I am not sure I want to spend $350 for a ventus shaft even though it felt really good and i got good results.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@cnosil - sounds like SuoerSpeed is working out for you!

Just came from the range - it’s been a year since we started the SuperSpeed testing - I stopped doing protocols late last Spring and wanted to see if I was retaining my gains. You can’t tell on the course because it’s so wet that the ball doesn’t go as far right now there.

I hit it beautifully and bottom line is I’m retaining my SS gains. Driver is low to mid 90’s -

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

@cnosil - sounds like SuoerSpeed is working out for you!

It does seem to be, I was really happy seeing those swing speed numbers popping up on the screen. Still doing the protocols, last session for week 19 will be today.
  • Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG