jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Our Sponsors

I took the day to work slowly with the three wedges.

After physical warm-ups, I got ready by some short gentle swings using my 50º with my feet together.  This allowed me to concentrate a bit more on the rest of the swing motion.  When the time came to begin the smacking of the spheres, I was nice and loose.

All the wedges performed well.  I may not have gotten all the distance expected, but they were close.  Direction was better, even though I still tend to finish a bit to the right.

For the longer wedge shots, using my 50º, I was keeping it well into the 100 yard target areas.  I made sure to keep my swing active yet not over powering as to loose a lot in total.  I then tried a few gentler partial swing for shots between 50 and75 yards. Mostly good though I did hit a very ugly thin shot.

54º was good, though I still "over ran" a few beyond where I hoped they would have stopped.

60º was the best overall as to what I tried to do.

I am saving the sand trap shots for this weekend when slightly cooler weather will be upon us.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 3

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

On 9/4/2019 at 3:19 PM, edingc said:

Back to the basics today. After shooting 79 two weeks ago, I've had a couple awful rounds spraying the ball all over the place. 

Worked on my takeaway and getting the shaft at a better position at P2. Drills courtesy Monte Scheinblum's Efficient Swing series.

snapshot_20190904_123953.thumb.jpg.07079a46c014241dcfa7a73f14e54551.jpg

Quoting my own post, but very happy to report day two of back to basics was a huge success. Started with small takeaway only swings in the pitching area like my posted picture, but then grabbed half a basket and headed to the range.

This summer I've been going back and forth between hitting the ball great and then suddenly losing a club or more of distance (and way less club head speed based on my Swing Caddie). I am now certain my takeaway getting sloppy was the problem. Focused on getting a good takeaway and I added a good 10-15 yards to my irons and wedges. I was happy to see my 7 iron work up to the low 90s. That's a great sign that I'm doing things well in the takeaway.

I'm running out of practice time before the range closes for the year, but together with the takeaway, I also need to focus on getting more consistent pressure shifts in the swing. Every few swings I get it right, but if I want to strike the ball better consistently that's an area of focus for me going forward.

• Like 5

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.0 (Last Updated July 7, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff (soft-stepped), Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

I don’t know why I bother to practice - I knew I had figured out what I was doing wrong earlier this week.

Went to the range, warmed up, first shot was a 9 iron just short of the tree that I was aiming it - it was 155 so I knew I wouldn’t reach it - after hitting 9/10 9 irons that would have been on the green - a few close, I pulled 7 iron and brought out the Swing Caddie - picked a different target - a flag off in the distance that was 25 yards right of the tree - I hit all 5 of those straight (no fade or draw) between 155 and 159.

Pulled 7 wood - same flag - 5 balls - between 194-205 all high and straight - one a tad too far right. Driver 9/10 great - everyone over 130 ball speed - Several over 135 - right around 240 total - flying past the flag that was 217 (remember these were range balls so I’d get a bit more speed and distance with my gamers.

Ended up with a series of wedges to differing distances and a perfect 8 iron right to the base of that tree at 155.

Also my teacher who was there gave me a drill to help improve swing efficiency a bit more (he was between lessons - he said I’m swinging it well enough to move onto more advanced stuff)

Now I need to get this to the course -thats been up and down for me of late.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I don’t know why I bother to practice - I knew I had figured out what I was doing wrong earlier this week.

Went to the range, warmed up, first shot was a 9 iron just short of the tree that I was aiming it - it was 155 so I knew I wouldn’t reach it - after hitting 9/10 9 irons that would have been on the green - a few close, I pulled 7 iron and brought out the Swing Caddie - picked a different target - a flag off in the distance that was 25 yards right of the tree - I hit all 5 of those straight (no fade or draw) between 155 and 159.

Pulled 7 wood - same flag - 5 balls - between 194-205 all high and straight - one a tad too far right. Driver 9/10 great - everyone over 130 ball speed - Several over 135 - right around 240 total - flying past the flag that was 217 (remember these were range balls so I’d get a bit more speed and distance with my gamers.

Ended up with a series of wedges to differing distances and a perfect 8 iron right to the base of that tree at 155.

Also my teacher who was there gave me a drill to help improve swing efficiency a bit more (he was between lessons - he said I’m swinging it well enough to move onto more advanced stuff)

Now I need to get this to the course -thats been up and down for me of late.

Sounds like “Champions Tour”

• Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Took out a jumbo bucket, and boy did it feel great. Had enough to get a little partial swing work in, going for the 100yd mark with a few different clubs (thanks for the suggestion), then took some time going from a "tee shot" to an "approach", filtering through all the clubs I typically take off the tee and then getting in all my irons and wedges from there too.

Also, had a bit of an epiphany. I've heard plenty of times that your "full swing" should really be ~85% or something like that. I've always tried to apply that by slowing my swing down a hair, and haven't really had much improvement in consistency. However, today I tried slightly shortening my backswing, and it was going absolutely great. Didn't feel like I had to try slowing my swing down, but it also kept me from feeling like I was swinging out of my shoes. And really consistent strikes! And on top of it all, not even enough change in distance to notice!

Sometimes it amazes me that not everyone is hooked on golf.

• Like 5

Right Handed

Driver: :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft, 9.5º)

FW: :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft, 15º)

Irons (PW-2): :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52 & 60): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B

Hit about 60 balls before playing 9. Trying to focus on staying down through the swing and not letting my arms get all wonky on the back and through swing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Anyone else ever have a day like this?

I had a limited time to work as I was on my way to an appointment.  Plan was to hit 15,  or, even a few more, whacks with the mighty driver before meeting my doctor for a fairly short bit of follow-up. My range allows you to use a pre-purchased card to activate the ball set up about 90 minutes before they open.  So it was time to go.

I felt forced to leave, as I could not put up with a loud, irreverent and even profoundly profane group of young gentlemen (using the term quite loosely) of, I surmised, high school age, who decided to utilize far too much foul language and invectives. 

I was fairly sure of their age, as I taught HS for 47 years. They actually were screwing around in the parking lot and did not even pretend to practice; I suspect they did not have the card which allows the machines to work in the hour and a half before the range opens. Total time they were driving through the lot was perhaps 10 minutes tops.

After I think I hit 7 or 8 shots or so,  it became clear it was time to leave, as I could not concentrate at all. I was not even sure they fully saw me.

So it was a morning dealing with "those types".  Ok, I am an old geezer, but it was not fun. 

I do not blame the course as it was the actions of some, shall we say, idiots. 

As I was packing up and changing my shoes, they left.  By then time was a factor for me.

I am just venting as I have been substituting for 6th grade classes this week and the behavior level I saw this week was about the same level. Perhaps the golf gods found a off the wall way to tell me that I need to take a deep breath, relax, and have a focused practice tomorrow.

Thus ends the sermon from your favorite curmudgeon!

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Went to the driving range to continue working on getting the right elbow in-place, and took my first swings with the new Flash SZ.
I then spent 30 minutes on the putting green using a new hand placement, and it seemed to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

Went to the driving range to continue working on getting the right elbow in-place, and took my first swings with the new Flash SZ.
I then spent 30 minutes on the putting green using a new hand placement, and it seemed to work well.

How’s that driver?

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Worked on grip, tempo, sequencing, lag, release, alignment. Just hitting 60-70 yard wedges. Mostly focused on using a half or 2/3 backswing and a very full follow through, which when put together help you to really delay your release so you get that sidearm skipping stone throw feeling. When I get it right it feels like Freddy Couples looks, like I’m just throwing the club to the target and oh there the ball goes too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The day I hoped for yesterday.

Early AM to get in 25 driver drives.

Average speed was some of my best, 110

Without adding extra yardage for the stiff range balls, I was about 205.

No arm of hand tension, good turning of hips and follow through.

No fat or thin shots,  a few pushes, but nothing gawd awful.

Now to figure out how to take all this off the range so I can win friends and influence people.

cartoon0708.png.7251ed64d61e82e27b9c7593a8b3f72f.png

• Like 2

9 ball test with 3 trajectories and shapes... Nailed it with the 7 iron and then decided to try it with a 2H which didn't work nearly as well. 

Edited by BMart519
  • Like 3

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*, 5-6 FWY at 17*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 5-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:taylormade-small: TP Berwick

What are you working on? Just curious. I recently went left hand low to take some of the action out of my wrists and it seems to be working really good. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Worked on the 5 iron low punch. Need that to get out of the trees. Yesterday at the range I was either shanking or topping it. In the backyard, with plastic balls, concentrated on rotating with the shoulders and not takeaway with the hands. Much better results. Ready for my golf trip now

• Like 4

IMG_1288.JPG58966775854__FE02BE90-F6EA-45E8-B1E8-11E9D25A04FE.JPG

My club has the best practice facility - which my friend Dennis and I hit today - we then played 2,3,8,18 in - I was even.

It also has a great 19th hole - 8 dollar martini’s with this view. I hit it very well on the range and for those 4 holes.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

IMG_1288.thumb.JPG.e34bd0cfebb3a69b83d2251619ca2151.JPG58966775854__FE02BE90-F6EA-45E8-B1E8-11E9D25A04FE.thumb.JPG.65b1cb274eb49af11888d5c4e9f80d93.JPG

My club has the best practice facility - which my friend Dennis and I hit today - we then played 2,3,8,18 in - I was even.

It also has a great 19th hole - 8 dollar martini’s with this view. I hit it very well on the range and for those 4 holes.

Nice shorts

• Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Nice shorts

That’s Dennis’ tame look

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

I must be doing something right.

20 dutiful driver events were such that , I almost dare say, I may know what I a doing; at least, for thisweek I do.

It is amazing how much not forcing a club and not over-swinging often gets me far better results.  My speeds today were some f the best in terms of consisItency. Distance was solid, 200+ yards with god following role.  

I had only one push right.  I was a but upset at first, but then came to understand, if that were a drive at the course scheduled next, it would have probably ended up in the second cut of rough at worst! Heck, I have seen many a pro do that as well.

Except for that miscreant whack, I somehow got, primarily, a nice draw.

Now, I cannot state all was glorious today. While my 6i was good with only one rather than shot, my 3h was lacking both loft and distance. I need to spend either time mastering my 3h, or seriously take a look the value of this particular club. (My coach had suggested that the Karsten 3hdesign might be the reason as it does not, in most respects, match design of my other bride. When we next meet, I will try out a 3h at the G400 line)

• Like 4

What are you working on? Just curious. I recently went left hand low to take some of the action out of my wrists and it seems to be working really good. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Going from L-H-L back to normal after YEARS!

• Like 3

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Going from L-H-L back to normal after YEARS!

I did that as well this year. Played LHL for years but didn’t feel right when I put the Evnroll on the bag so I switched to conventional.
  • Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG