TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driving iron thoughts

Mizuno2

So I realized I have an old Mizuno fli hi head and I have a diamama ahina hybrid shaft and was wondering if they might pair well together. Any thoughts please? I'm playing Friday so I have the week to think about it

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

The fli hi head is probably a .355 hosel and the shaft is .370 so it most likely won't fit.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Actually you can bore them but I do know the older irons and potentially the hybrid/DI are parallel tip at .370 hosel

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

Actually you can bore them but I do know the older irons and potentially the hybrid/DI are parallel tip at .370 hosel

Theo is right it is a 355t , I had one as well, bore it out or get a graphite iron shaft were my options, I went graphite iron. Good luck!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I will have to figure something out. My iron set is .370 parallel hosel

If you find a graphite shaft that fits I like the idea. I've done similar things before. Just don't go too lite compared to your iron shafts. That can throw you off.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I'm not sure the weight on my iron shafts, but the ahina is 82g

I will have to figure something out. My iron set is .370 parallel hosel

Did you bore them out because all the specs I find say .355 taper

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I just took a second look for the specs and i found .355 taper

I've seen .370 parallel but upon further search it is more likely .355

Rather than bore out the hosel, if you have a .370 shaft and want to put it in a .355 hosel, it's not that hard to sand it to fit.  I did it with a .370 UST ProForce shaft in my MacGregor irons that are .355.  Just takes a little time and patience.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There might be some coinfusion. Is this a Mizuno fli hi hybrid, or is it their mp fli hi which is their driving iron? Because if it is the hybrid fli hi then .370 is likely, but if it is the mp fli hi or mp fli hi 2 then they are .355t

If you don't put too much load on the shaft, sanding down a .370 is possible, though most fitters/ club builders don't want to do that because you are weakening the tip even if it is slightly

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

The fli hi head is probably a .355 hosel and the shaft is .370 so it most likely won't fit.

This is a pretty common misnomer on shaft to bore fitting - especially when it comes to hybrid shaft fitment.

Just about every hybrid graphite shaft on the market is .370" - and many hybrid heads are .355" bore - so surely some mistake?

Nope, just about every hybrid .370" tip shaft is capable of being shaved (we call it "pencilling" in the trade) to fit a taper bore. These .370" shafts have much thicker tip section walls to allow for this. A very common and widely used procedure and consequently, it makes your task of finding the right shaft to match the right head much easier - and certainly much easier than boring out a head to fit.

As a general rule of thumb, always use the modification of the head as a last resort - there is usually a shaft out there that will fit!

Back to the OP - yes the Fli-Hi head and Ahina shaft is a good pairing for the stronger player

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1473167148.948097.jpg

This is it

I would prefer to not have to pencil or sand the shaft since I do take a decent divot.

I will try and take everything apart later tonight and see the sizes of the hosel and shaft

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1473167148.948097.jpg

This is it

This thread reminded me that I have an 18* and a 24* T-Zoid Fli Hi in stock Stiff flex if anyone is interested; older and different Winn midsize grips.  PM me.

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@Mizuno2  I would listen to Jaskanski^

If he says it'll work then it will, assuming the work is done correctly. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Yeah I think I'll give it a whirl, hopefully the pairing of head and shaft goes well like jaskanski said

Archived