TESTERS WANTED! ×

2016 Most Wanted irons

BothaCJ

Does anyone have an idea when the 2016 Most Wanted Irons lists will come out?

•  Cobra Fly Z 10.5 deg Stiff
  •  Cobra Fly Z 18.5 deg Stiff
  •  Cleveland Launcher 25 deg (Frankenstein Aldila NVS tipped to shorten and stiffen)
  •  Cobra King F6 Irons Stiff 4-PW+GW+SW
  •  Cleveland RTX 58
  •  Ping Ketsch

I know that there is the Most Wanted Driver and Putter every year but I don't recall Irons of late.  I suppose its because there are so many possibilities that it is very difficult to define most wanted in this category.

There are tons of iron reviews in the review section.  If you were to start a thread asking for suggestions or telling us a bit about your game we could drive you nuts with information and opinion. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

We have been perfecting our testing methodologies. The driver test has been a proof of concept.  Now that we are happy with our test we are ready to do the full bag in 2017.

Can't wait.

#TruthDigest

Can't wait as well! 

We have been perfecting our testing methodologies. The driver test has been a proof of concept.  Now that we are happy with our test we are ready to do the full bag in 2017.

Can't wait.

Twitter: @EdmundCruz 

@ChiGolfAth 

What's In The Bag:

Driver:  Tour Edge Golf EX9 10 degrees, UST Mamiya ATTAS COOOL Stiff Flex
Hybrid:  Tour Edge Golf Exotics EX9 #3 Hybrid, UST MAMIYA RECOIL 670 F4 Stiff Flex
Irons:
:benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15 Irons, 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47 KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Wedges:
:benhogan-small: TK 15 Wedges, 51, 55, 59. KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Putter: Buzelli Golf STA-1, Standard Loft/Lie
Ball:  Snell Golf My Tour Ball 

Haha, okay cool... I just bought a set of Cobra F6 irons on a ridiculous sale at the biggest retailer in South Africa. They just turned 40 years old and had 40 one-day deals at below cost. Was curious to see how they stacked up against the rest of the field with the Fly Z's doing pretty well last year.

•  Cleveland Launcher 25 deg (Frankenstein Aldila NVS tipped to shorten and stiffen)
  •  Cleveland RTX 58
  •  Ping Ketsch

Cobra's gear has been really awesome IMO lately, so I'm sure they are going to perform great for you. Obviously we'll wait for the real data to see how they stack up, but judging how the King F6+ did in driver testing here, I'm thinking they'll be strong performers.

Currently In The Sun Mountain 3.5 DLX:
Drivers: â€‹nike.jpg Vapor Pro 12.5* (Open) [projectx.png Prototype (65g, approx. R+ flex)]
Fairway: callaway.jpg Big Bertha 3W (16*/N) [MitsubishiRayon.png Fubuki Zeta 65 stiff (69g)]
Fairway: callaway.jpg XR16 5W (19) [Grafalloy.pngProLaunch Blue 65 stiff (64g)]
Hybrids taylormade.jpg R15 4h (22*) [fujikra.png Speeder 77 Evolution (70g)]
Irons: bridgestone.jpg J15 DF 5-PW [Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ssx1]
Wedges: mizuno.jpg JPX 50*-6* [Dynalite Gold XP Wedge]
Wedges: callaway.jpg Forged Copper (54*-11*, 58*-9*) [Dynamic Gold Wedge]
Putter: Piretti.jpg Cottonwood II 355g (33")
Leupold GX-1i Rangefinder

Don't sell yourself short, Judge...you're a tremendous slouch!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hi Fozcycle, I actually read and re-read your (and the other MGS members) reviews a number of times before I bought my set. I fell in love with these irons the moment they were released, but they were just too expensive (new house and a baby).

The reason I asked about the most wanted list was to compare with how the Fly Z irons did last year. I compared the Fly Z and F6 driver tests and there was little to no difference between the two, but I think that picture may look a lot different with the irons. I also want to see how these perform against the big boys, because here in South Africa everyone is Titleist, Callaway and Taylormade crazy.

I am losing my mind though, because I have now owned my irons for a week and have not had a chance to swing even one of them!

•  Cleveland RTX 58
  •  Ping Ketsch

Hi Fozcycle, I actually read and re-read your (and the other MGS members) reviews a number of times before I bought my set. I fell in love with these irons the moment they were released, but they were just too expensive (new house and a baby).

The reason I asked about the most wanted list was to compare with how the Fly Z irons did last year. I compared the Fly Z and F6 driver tests and there was little to no difference between the two, but I think that picture may look a lot different with the irons. I also want to see how these perform against the big boys, because here in South Africa everyone is Titleist, Callaway and Taylormade crazy.

I am losing my mind though, because I have now owned my irons for a week and have not had a chance to swing even one of them!

Well, as a comparison, I also gamed the Bio Cell irons 2 years ago. http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/10704-mgs-official-forum-member-reviews-cobra-bio-cell-irons/ They stayed in my bag until the F6's came out.  The only modification I did was to replace the shafts with Project X 5.0 Blue graphites.  They were great until I met the F6's.  As for Drivers, I have gamed the Bio Cell, Fly Z+ & King LTD......I did not like the Fly Z+ and kept going back to the Bio Cell until i met the Cobra King LTD.which is now in my bag.

I do honestly believe tyhat the Cobra F6 irons are the best GI irons on the market.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

And this is where personal opinion comes in!  I've hit Foz's irons a couple of times.  They look nice but for me the graphite offering is way too light.  It took me a couple of swings to work through that and then I was able to hit them okay but I could not feel where the club head was at all.  I most certainly prefer the Wilson C200 which also looks good and has a heavier Aldila Rogue as it's graphite choice. 

Certainly it will be great once MGS provides us with iron data that is similar to what it currently does for the Driver.  We all have different swings, different ears (yes that's very important) and a different vision of what makes for an appealing golf club.  Those tests help us determine where we should start in our searches.

For now you can rest assured that Cobra makes a great iron and that you've made a good choice at an incredible price.  I hope that you are able to get out and use them soon!!!! 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived