TESTERS WANTED! ×

2016 OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - FORWARDGOLF PUTTER GRIPS

JBones

• 2 weeks later...

Quick overview of my golf game...generally pretty long off the tee, good long irons, average mid irons, not a great wedge player, not a great putter.  Been playing between a 4-6 handicap most of the year.  I really struggle once I get inside of 100 yards whether it is partial wedge shots, chipping or putting.  My putting itself has been relatively consistent this year but it needs to improve.  Right now I am averaging 32.8 putts per round.  My GIR putts would probably be a few higher than that.  It's gotten pretty frustrating to shoot in the high 70s and realize I had 34 putts.

I've actually changed my physical putting grip three to five times this year.  Started with cross handed, went to conventional, went to a split grip, back to conventional but gripped down.  I was using a Superstroke XL 2.0 and it seemed difficult getting my hands in a comfortable position.  I'm hoping that the Forward grip will lock me into a grip and putting stroke that are more consistent.  I just never felt extremely comfortable with my previous grip and it led to me questioning my putts before I even hit them.  The biggest thing for me is to find a grip that is comfortable, consistent and gives me confidence when I'm striking the ball.

sUZJnsQ.jpg

9hQfmNl.jpg

Throwing one of these onto a Ketsch?? this will be interesting! looking forward to your thoughts/results

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

• 1 month later...

Now that I've had the Forward grip in my bag for a couple of months there is really only one thing I can say, I wish I'd put it on my gamer.

I have returned to a conventional grip with the Forward Grip. Because it locks my fingers along the back spine of the putter, I can tell exactly where the back of my left hand is facing which returned my sense of feel to the putting process. While the putter grip hasn't cured my woes off the tee, it has largely cured me of my struggles with lag putts, and my typical score has dropped by a stroke or two. I hope Santa brings me another Forward Grip for Christmas, so that I can put my gamer back in the bag.

"I can't" means one of two things:
1) I'm not willing to try, or
2) I'm more afraid of failure than I am excited by success.

I can.

• 6 months later...

I am very interested in the Forward putter grip. Does anyone have any further updates? In particular, I am interested in how folks like this compared to a Super Stroke or Garsen grip.

I just put another one on my newer putter. I just really like the feel of them and putt slightly better with them than a superstroke.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 1 year later...

I'm interested in giving this grip a try. Anyone still gaming this grip since your review?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

16 hours ago, chemclub said:

I'm interested in giving this grip a try. Anyone still gaming this grip since your review?

I wasn't part of this review but I do have experience with the Forward grip. It used to come standard on the MLA putters so it came with my Tour Classic. I practiced with it a bit then tried it on course for one round but swapped it out for a Super Stroke.  

Putters and putter grips being as personal as they are, the triangle shape of the grip didn't agree with me. I felt like I had a hard time creating a total connection with the grip at a natural stand which left air gaps in my grip between my fingers to the grip itself. These gaps created an extra hinge point in my stroke.... No good. 

As always, your results may vary. If my memory serves me, both Official MGS reviews of the MLA putters (Classic/Mallet and X-Dream) had plenty to say about the stock Forward Grips so I'd recommend those as another source of differing opinions. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Thanks Stud - will definitely check those reviews out. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2019 at 3:10 PM, chemclub said:

I went back to my gamer putter, which has a SuperStroke2.0, and prefer the forward grip, which is still on the putter I practice with in the basement. My only excuse for not re-gripping it is inertia. When I picked up new swing grips at Golf Galaxy they didn't have the forward grip so I stuck with what I had. 

"I can't" means one of two things:
1) I'm not willing to try, or
2) I'm more afraid of failure than I am excited by success.

I can.