Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Fake Clubs

I recently read an excellent article on MyGolfSpy.com entitled “10 ways (not) to buy fake clubs on Ebay” Not to pick on Ebay because it is an very good, well run company who, I think, does the best it can policing it's policies concerning the items offered for sale, but the article went on to state that, according to results of a test conducted by MyGolfSpy, 24% of the clubs purchased on Ebay are fake.

The article went on to inform the reader of various tests they could conduct both before and after purchase of a golf club to determine whether the club was authentic or not. I sincerely believe that anyone who decides to risk purchasing a golf club on Ebay, or any other auction site, would be wise to incorporate the methods for their own protection.

But I would like to point out an additional method I think everyone ought to consider. That is, is the seller making any money? Let's face it folks, nobody takes the time or makes the effort to list an item on an auction site just to be a nice guy. They want to make money!

For example: Recently I found a Callaway Diablo Edge Driver that had sold on Ebay for roughly $185.00. Not bad at all considering that my local Discount Golf Store offered the same club to me at $299.00 less a $20.00 discount because I'm such a nice guy.

Did the guy selling the club on Ebay make any money? Consider this: Let's say the guy on Ebay wanted to make around $20.00 profit on the listing to pay his store overhead and to put a little in his pocket. Then he had the fees which Ebay charges. Insertion fee of a $1 or so, listing fees of roughly $10.00, PayPal fees of $5.00, and of course the shipping fees of say $12.00, give or take. I've round off these numbers, but they are pretty close.

Now, not considering the inbound freight on the club when he purchased the club originally, and may be a couple of other costs, that would mean he could not have paid more than $137.00 for the club from Callaway, and that is if there were no “middlemen” involved.

Perhaps this sounds normal to some of you, but when I consider that most of the websites and brick and mortar stores I have visited are selling the club for $299.00, they must marking the clubs up roughly 218%!

For some reason, I find a 218% gross markup a little hard to believe. I have been in business for a number of years and I would love to mark the stuff I sell 218%. Of course, I get the feeling that I won't be in business very long, which I would definitely not love at all.

Like they always say, if a deal to good to be true…….

On my winter golf trip, I played golf with a guy that had that real high dollar Taylormade supposed "tour only" set. He was a friend of a friend, and we stopped by a golf shop one day. He was thinking of trading them in on that new Mizuno 58 set...the guy in the shop looked the TM's over and informed him the TM's were fakes.

Here this guy was thinking he'd gotten a set of $1-$2k set of clubs, and now he finds out they are fakes. That sucks.

One of the many reasons I almost never buy golf clubs off ebay.

Whether Ebay or not, I think it's always reasonable to request a clear photo of the serial numbers so that can be cross-referenced with the OEM's customer service.

Of course, that still may not prevent some scumbag from doctoring a photo or giving you a serial number off of a different club (or set of clubs).

True, Moecat.

I've got a club I wonder about (maybe someone on here can help me). I bought an Adams utility club that was supposedly "tour only" called The Peanut. It doesn't have a serial number on it, and the head is unfinished kinda like the way Ping Eye2's are.

If anyone knows anything about them, feel free to let me know.

True, Moecat.

I've got a club I wonder about (maybe someone on here can help me). I bought an Adams utility club that was supposedly "tour only" called The Peanut. It doesn't have a serial number on it, and the head is unfinished kinda like the way Ping Eye2's are.

The original Peanuts (or PNTs) don't have serial numbers. Does yours look like a larger version of the original Idea Pro hybrid with grey top and the sole weight placed way in the back?

It's got a darker gray crown (looks kinda like a crown insert) and a duller gray body. The weight is just back of center on the sole of the club and it says "tour prototype" in the yellow portion that's at the very back of the sole.

(btw...how do you quote? I tried clicking on the "multi-quote" tab and it did nothing)

Oh...and the guy I got it from (who I trust somewhat) told me he got it from a Nationwide Tour player and that they clubs were put out head only unassembled -- to be put together in the tour vans.

It's got a darker gray crown (looks kinda like a crown insert) and a duller gray body. The weight is just back of center on the sole of the club and it says "tour prototype" in the yellow portion that's at the very back of the sole.

(btw...how do you quote? I tried clicking on the "multi-quote" tab and it did nothing)

You could simply hit the Reply button.

Sorry, I don't have a photo available to confirm what you have, but it sounds like yours is legit. If you have photos of yours - taken at different angles - please post them.

I'll try to get mine posted tomorrow.

Whether Ebay or not, I think it's always reasonable to request a clear photo of the serial numbers so that can be cross-referenced with the OEM's customer service.

Some companies (Cough Taylor Made Cough)will NOT verify serial numbers over the phone. I have tried. Perhaps this has changed in recent months, but the last time I called to check on a serial #, I was told by a certain manufacturers customer service rep "We dont do that here".

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

It won't help online, but I learned that magnets won't stick to stainless steel putter heads. Not that I always have one handy, but I try to remember to bring one when I buy stainless putters off craigslist or in used club sections in stores. So many fake Camerons on CL up here.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

True, Moecat.

Sorry for the overly delayed response to your question.

I believe that if your PNT looks like mine, there's a pretty good chance that you should be in good shape.

pnt1.jpg

pnt2.jpg

pnt3.jpg

I believe that if your PNT looks like mine, there's a pretty good chance that you should be in good shape.

pnt1.jpg

pnt2.jpg

pnt3.jpg

I'm now VERY jealous!!! nice weapon.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Do you folks who work the retail side and take trade-ins see a bunch of fake stuff coming into the shops?

Seems like Cameron putters are the main faked club that I hear about.

Volvo Intorqueo

The original Peanuts (or PNTs) don't have serial numbers. Does yours look like a larger version of the original Idea Pro hybrid with grey top and the sole weight placed way in the back?

Why do they call it the Peanut? Does it pull the ball away from you when you try to hit it?

As for the original question: I just avoid ebay, and I get all of my clubs from golf superstores. The only clubs I have that I bought used are my MP 57 irons, and they were a demo set. As the story goes, the store accidentally bought a bunch of sets for the demo area, when they just wanted 6 irons. So only my 6 iron was actually used when I bought it, but I still only paid $500.

I've been buying and selling off Ebay for a decade now without any issues.

Just stay away from Asia based sellers, stick with sellers with good reputations and long histories, and if the Buy It Now price is to good to be true then it usually is!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

pnt1.jpg

pnt2.jpg

pnt3.jpg

Yep...looks just like mine. :lol:

I would much rather hit the club first before buying, or be fitted, and buy from the person who worked their butt off to sell/fit me.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I would much rather hit the club first before buying, or be fitted, and buy from the person who worked their butt off to sell/fit me.

Yeah, here we go. A post like this is a powder keg on every golf board I've ever been on...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Older stuff is not always available in the local b&m shop though. Thinking putters mainly. Online used is often the only resource.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived