TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter Custom Fitting

Hello all,

I am getting rather curious about custom fitting for the most used club in the bag- the putter.

I've never experienced a custom fit session for a putter before - previous to buying mine I took it off the shelf- liked the weight of it and went for a putt with it on the putting green, got on with it and invested in it!

Those of you who have been custom fit for a putter, what should one expect when getting custom fit for a putter? And to those who have been custom fit- is there anything else you wish had happened during the process?

And a question to those of you who have contemplated custom fitting for the putter- what made you decide against it?

Would love to hear as many opinions as possible!

phil.b89

I'm a fan of finding a putter that fits perfectly since it's the most used club in the bag. It takes a while and everywhere does it different. I'd say generally speaking, about an hour. They'll find a head shape you like and work from there, hopefully through all manufacturers. They'll have you stroke putts, checking your path, squareness at contact, the length, your putting stance, take bunches of measurements, hopefully have a few cameras set up that do slo motion capture so they can check everything from every angle that the human eye can't capture. There are lots of variables they have to look at. It's not a quick process, but it's worth it.

There are many boutique places that offer custom fittings.

If you can get your specs and get them to a custom putter maker, they can build you something that works. I love boutique putters, but they're tricky when you're not near any of their shops. I went to SeeMore for a fitting too, because they're close to me, and I had used one of their putterd for a long time (original FGP for over 10 years). I went there and ended up leaving with 2 more SeeMore putters. I had 12 of their putters at one point, 5 of which were FGP's. Their staff is as friendly and helpful as it gets though, and customer service is at the top with them.

I'm sure pretty much any smaller company or boutique place will be like that, though that's the only shop I've ever been to.

I'd love to do a fitting with LaMont and have him build me a Mannkrafted custom, and I don't even know if he does fittings. Slighter is another I'd love to have a fitting with. At the top of the list for me is sitting down with Gene Nead and having him build me a custom Mini in damascus. Then there's Machine that I'd love to go to. And Palombi and C&L and Mills, I could go on and on.

But, if none are close or funds aren't available, a good golf shop in your area should be able to do a good fitting.Find a competent club builder/fitter through the International Clubmaker's Guild's site. You'll find reputable builders/fitters there. Don't get me wrong, there are competent guys at the big box stores, but there are also bad fitters trying to sell the most expensive items they have too, especially if they have commission. Do your due dilligence and find the most competent fitter in your area.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thanks for the reply Rookie, always interested to hear others opinions.

Left with 2 SeeMore putters? Surely they just fit you for the best one!

I'd love to hear from some custom putter manufacturers to see what options they offer and if they do any testing and have any scientific data that they can back up fitting sessions with, or whether it is predominantly done on feel for the individual player.

Like yourself I'd also love to get custom fit at a smaller manufacturer and have a putter made specifically as I would like it. I'm lucky enough to be spending a year in Arizona starting in just over 2 weeks so hopefully I'll manage to find something out there. Would love a custom souvenir to bring back to the UK with me at the end of it! Not sure if my budget will be able to stretch to it though...

How many putters did you try before finding your favourite?

phil.b89

I personally like the idea of getting a putter that fits my stroke, as opposed to tweaking my stroke to fit a putter.

Check out my article ... http://www.mygolfspy.com/kevin-burns-putters/

Totally agree, the only thing more individual than your putter is your putter stroke. The same with every other club in your bag- it should be fitted to your swing/stroke rather than having to adapt to new equipment. The whole purpose of custom fitting!

Thanks for the link- will have a read!

phil.b89

Archived