TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf simulators

I live in kansas so playing golf in the winter is next to impossible. I'm thinking of sinking some money into a home simulator. My question is, has anyone bought one and has your experience been good with it? And, had it improved your game?

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From EVERYTHING I've read, you're going to have to spend $2K plus for a decent one.

Personally, I think I'm going to get an Optishot (even though it's not that great) because of $$ and I just want to have some fun over the winters with my son.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

SkyTrak is your best option for realistic golf. You can hook it up to projector and play The Golf Club, e6 + a few more. Or just hit in a net and play WGT on iPad.

Optishot is a toy, but at least you're playing golf :) 

From EVERYTHING I've read, you're going to have to spend $2K plus for a decent one.

Personally, I think I'm going to get an Optishot (even though it's not that great) because of $$ and I just want to have some fun over the winters with my son.

That's the one i was looking at for simplicity and seems to be made for in home setup

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

SkyTrak is your best option for realistic golf. You can hook it up to projector and play The Golf Club, e6 + a few more. Or just hit in a net and play WGT on iPad.

Optishot is a toy, but at least you're playing golf :)

Optishot definitely looks like more entertainment but as long as it tracks accurrately I'm good with that, i really want a way to keep practicing in the winter without driving an hour to an indoor range

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Optishot doesn't track accurately compared to the real world. It tracks consistently - but consistently wrong :) It's got nothing to do with real golf. You can play Optishot without a golf ball. That says a lot :)

Using Optishot for practice is a matter of "it's better to swing something than nothing". Just promise me that you're not going to make adjustments based on Optishot numbers :D

And here I was hoping to drive south to Kansas, to play some winter golf later this year... ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

And here I was hoping to drive south to Kansas, to play some winter golf later this year... ;)

Kansas isn't far enough south!!  If you go further, I might join you.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a SkyTrak that I use in my hitting bay in my garage.  It's set up with my iPad and I hit into a Net Return.  During the winter months and in the evenings it's great because I can use the range app or some of the challenges for areas like short game, mid-irons, etc.  So far it's pretty darn accurate and saved me a bundle compared to something like a GC2.

• 2 months later...

I have been researching the sky trak for awhile now. After reading many user reviews im pretty aprehensive about it. From what I gather, the system is somewhat buggy, and customer support is practically non existent. One of my biggest concerns is the stories of having to send the unit off for thousand dollar repairs.

Nonetheless I am still interested in the thing. The desire to golf is pretty strong! Anyone here have insight?

I have been researching the sky trak for awhile now. After reading many user reviews im pretty aprehensive about it. From what I gather, the system is somewhat buggy, and customer support is practically non existent. 

From my personal experience, that Skygolf's MO...no customer support and if you complain or call them out on it, they delete you (figuratively).

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have been researching the sky trak for awhile now. After reading many user reviews im pretty aprehensive about it. From what I gather, the system is somewhat buggy, and customer support is practically non existent. One of my biggest concerns is the stories of having to send the unit off for thousand dollar repairs.

Nonetheless I am still interested in the thing. The desire to golf is pretty strong! Anyone here have insight?

I've also heard bad things about their customer support, but most of the product issues seemed to have been from early adopters.  Just about everything I've read lately say the unit itself works great and while individual customer support is sub par, the product is continually updated and all the updates have been for the better.

It sounds like if you are using it indoors or off a mat it's pretty much the best "bang for your buck" simulator/monitor out there right now.  As usually spending more will get you more, but for a home/garage/winter type of setup this thing seems pretty ideal right now.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'd have to imagine at least initially Support might be useful and important with product like this, I've never heard good things about Sky's support. I had only one experience with their support several years ago with my Skycaddie and I recall it wasn't good then either.

I don't recall buying a product where I said Support sucked but the product is good. Good products and good support usually go hand in hand.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'd have to imagine at least initially Support might be useful and important with product like this, I've never heard good things about Sky's support. I had only one experience with their support several years ago with my Skycaddie and I recall it wasn't good then either.

I don't recall buying a product where I said Support sucked but the product is good. Good products and good support usually go hand in hand.

There's good product support (fixing issues, releasing updates to make it better, listening to feedback) and then there's good customer support.  I don't own one and have never called them, so just basing this off things I've read.  They seem to be doing a decent job on product support and a crappy job at customer support.

That doesn't make the Skytrack a bad product.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

On a more serious note than my previous post, I've got an indoor setup using a GC2 and a RealFeel hitting mat.  I was able to get the GC2, software, projector used (which made it affordable).  IMHO, that's probably about as good a setup as most of us can hope for.

That said, it's still hitting indoors off a mat, so there are limitations as it's still "simulated" golf.  I don't find it all that helpful for working on my short game and I always have to adjust in the spring when I'm able to hit off real turf.  I feel like hitting off any mat forces me to start "picking" the ball (YMMV).  The Realfeel mat is the best I've found for using indoors.

The best thing about my setup is that I can work on my swing and stay in "golf shape" over the winter & and the GC2 software provides data I can use for club fitting.

Figure out your budget and stay within it, just make sure you get the best hitting mat you can afford.  There are a lot more options available now, than when I picked up my GC2 almost 5 years ago.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

You do hear horror stories. You never hear from the people who love their products. That's how internet works :D It's like the Phantom 4 Pro drone I've got. I love it. Fantastic product. Several guys on youtube hate it. It flies away. Video quality is terrible etc etc. Everyones a critic and expert these days. 

Truth is - people make mistakes. People do things like use bright lights that shine directly into the high speed camera on SkyTrak. But my favourite is "I don't get the distance and spin I've got when I play outside". You're indoors. Most golfers don't swing/play the same indoors. 

There's a lot of user error out there. That's my point.

SkyTrak's rep can be contacted on this sim forum - http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/skytrakHe does a great job. Their UK office has been excellent in taking care of me and others I've helped buy SkyTrak.

• 4 weeks later...

Very interested to see how the new GCQuad affects the GC2 resale market.  Here's to hoping they institute a used + warranty program.

Currently Playing:

• Callaway Epic MAX LS
  • TaylorMade SIM2 Titanium
  • Callaway X-Forged Utility
  • Srixon Z765
  • Cleveland RTX4
  • Evnroll ER1.2

How does the SkyTrack work with the TrueGolf? Seems like a great alternative to dropping $20k on a simulator. But with the add ons and subscription it might add up over time where you'd be better off with the capital investment of a full sim.

What's the true yearly cost to play courses on SkyTrack? And how do you putt?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

IMG_1690.JPG

I got the Skytrak this past Christmas for my son and I. Best purchase to help us get through the winter months.. only additional cost each year is the subscription to play courses and certain challenges on those courses. Putting can only be done with the World Golf Tour app. Subscription cost is $199 a year. One negative with wgt app is that it only allows one player, no foursomes . Hopefully an app update.

I did the build out in my bonus room over my garage. Impact screen ~$300, overhead projector ~$450, used golf mat ~$250, and purchase of new updated iPad. Older iPads do not work with Skytrak.

@Nugg126, how does this work. After you hit a tee shot do you set up for your second shot or do you just practice your swing from the mat? Does it simulate a proper golf game? Excuse the ignorance, this is a very cool setup you have there.

I ahve SkyTrak and have had it since it has been available.  Their customer support is non-existent.  That said, the issues I have had were app related (whether shots were saving/syncing) and not hardware related.  And the app issues never kept me from being able to use the unit..

Last year, I used a demo version of E6 and this year I "rented" Perfect Golf.

Full shots are pretty realistic and reliable.  Putting is a little funky but at least usable with auto gimmies.  Chipping is not as good as the rest.  Part of it is not being able to "flop" off of a matt and part is just that you can't hit it soft enough to get a 20 foot chip close. 

The only real issue I have is that there is a fairly long delay between hitting the ball and seeing a result. Can be a little annoying but not a show stopper.

All in all I'm happy I have it,  I use the simulator at least weekly and I use the SkyTrak app as a driving range a couple times a week. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

• 3 weeks later...

@Nugg126, how does this work. After you hit a tee shot do you set up for your second shot or do you just practice your swing from the mat? Does it simulate a proper golf game? Excuse the ignorance, this is a very cool setup you have there.

no apologies needed... after you hit you are given another distance to the flag and you change your club for the distance. You also can putt. Pretty accurate!!

I live in Kansas and have played almost every weekend this year  :blink:

Taylormade M1

Titleist 816 H1

Titleist 916 AP1 4-GW

52,56,60 Vokey Wedges

64 Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedge

Ping Ketsch mid putter

Titleist deluxe cart bag

TecTecTec range finder

CaddyTek EZ-Fold 3 Wheel Golf Push Cart

Country Club Elite® Hitting Strip 10"x30"

Rukket Haack Golf Net By SEC Coach Chris Haack 10 X 7ft

Very interested to see how the new GCQuad affects the GC2 resale market. Here's to hoping they institute a used + warranty program.

$700 discount and 6 month warranty on refurbished right now.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I'll have a GC2 and FSX here in a little over a month. Best part, I can simulate putting right next to the bay on a putting green. Anyone have experience with the fsx software and courses?

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the trigger on the skytrak recently. I really love the unit. It does give accurate numbers. Is it a flight scope or trackman? No. Did I have that kind of cash for those machines? No. I have no information for you about customer service....but I did read a lot of online reviews and people do hate the customer service. It is nice to have realistic feedback while hitting balls into the net in my garage. I highly recommend the unit.

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Archived