Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Official Forum Member Review: Sun Mountain Golf Bags

GolfSpy Barbajo

To start I'd like to thank MGS and Sun Mountain for the opportunity to review the C130 Cart Bag. Looking forward to doing a thorough review of the bag.

attachicon.gif20160914_135549.jpgattachicon.gif20160918_093416.jpg

My index currently sits at 9.0 and I play roughly 100 rounds per year, usually walking with a push cart in the spring/fall/winter and riding during the heat of the summer. For the past year I've been alternating back and forth between two bags - a Ping Hoofer 2 and an Ogio Chamber Cart Bag. Both great bags in their own right. The light weight of the Hoofer is where it shines while the club binding is the largest drawback. The Ogio as a cart bag is obviously quite a bit heaver but the 14 full length dividers and Silencer system at the bottom of the bag that essentially locks the clubs into place preventing club chatter are it's best features.

attachicon.gif20160923_101701.jpg

My walk to ride ratio is about 50/50 depending on how I feel or who I'm playing with. Some days it's nice to just throw some beer in a cart with a speaker and have a good time. When I want to focus on my own game without distractions I'll typically walk. When I do walk, I use a push cart so a stand bag isn't a big necessity for me as the cart bags I've used have worked out fine in both of my push carts.

The most important feature I look for in a bag is full length dividers. Club binding drives me crazy and after a bad shot it usually leads to me forcefully placing the offending club back into the bag, resulting in catching a finger or knuckle between two clubs. I also use an oversized putter grip so a putter well that is large enough is a big factor. The Ogio does not have an oversized putter well and noticeably wore down the grip within a short period of time. The Hoofer does not have a dedicated putter well so club binding with the putter was always an issue. I don't keep nearly the amount of crap in my bag that I use to, so a ton of storage isn't a huge factor but I do like to stay organized.

attachicon.gif20160923_101518.jpgattachicon.gif20160923_101756.jpg

While I've never used a Sun Mountain product before, I've hear many good things about the company and it's products. The bag seems durable, well made, and well thought out for the most part. At first glance, the C130 effectively and efficiently checks all these boxes for me which I will elaborate on more in Stage 2 of my review.

Great review, the color scheme you got going on resembles my set as well, black n red. I also have a black n red ogio chamber bag which I love, the C130 looks nice.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a Sync cart bag, nearly always walking. It's good, but it has issues with grips binding. I'm interested to hear how the C130 goes when on a push cart.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Great work so far guys!!  Love the looks of these bags!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm liking the reviews for the bags so far. Couple of questions...

Does the carry bag have a Velcro pad for your glove? (I assume it does or I missed it)

Also, it appears to me the stand mechanism-flapper on the bottom of the bag would fold flush against the bottom when the legs are retracted. Sometimes I put my Wilson Staff carry bag on a Club Car type cart and the bottom stand-flapper gets in the way. (come to think of it...that might not work)

Thanks for your answers.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

No velcro on the bag for the glove, but I just secure mine around this red dealy. No issues with putting this bag on a golf cart, but not sure about a pull or push cart.

The bag is designed for carrying so I wouldn't be surprised if it was doesn't play too nicely with pull or push carts. There is a good selection of slightly larger bags that have a stand and may be better suited for someone that wants to use their stand bag primarily on a cart

IMG_6841.JPG

Plaid I would just add that at least for me this bag is much smaller than my Nike carry bag. So potentially I would think this has more of a chance to be more compatible with push/pull carts than some bags from other companies. I'm going to try and get my wife's Gpas pull cart to test my theory and let you know!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Stage 2 Review of the 3.5 LS is up!  --> Link

Please let me know if there is something I did not touch on in my review that you'd like to know about.  My review will not stop here.  I will keep updating this thread as I continue to use this bag over the next couple of years.  I will especially keep the forum updated on any quality or durability issues that may (but hopefully don't) pop up.

My stage 2 review of the C130 is up. Consider this a work in progress. Like JLukes I intend to update this as things pop up. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me. 

I normally don't have issues with technology, but apparently my photos like to rotate at random when I attach them to posts. 

Whats in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815

3-Wood: Callaway Razr Fit

Hybrid: Adams Pro, 18 Degree

4-PW: Ping S56

SW: Cleveland CG10 (Need a set of wedges BAD!!!)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #6

Twitter: @rlshea

Mid-Minnesota Golf Club

Great reviews guys, The 3.5LS is a definite contender for my next bag, hopefully next year the prices drop a little. Thank you for the informative reviews

Sent from my sizzling Samsung Galaxy Note 7

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Guys great job! I'm close to making the move on this 3.5 stand bag, my only question is did Sun Mountain discontinue the 2.5? I was originally going to buy the 2.5 but now am leaning towards the 3.5, I'm a bit confused as eBay is listing new 2.5 bags for 2017 and don't really know what's different about the 2017 from the 2016, Sunmountain website is only showing the original 2.5 bag, I'm a bit confused

I just got caught up on all the stage two reviews. You guys all did an excellent job on these. Kudos to all.

I m over supplies in bags now. 1 true carry bag, 2 stand bags and a cart bag. So really no need or room for another one. Lol. But this looks like it checks a lot of the boxes.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Guys great job! I'm close to making the move on this 3.5 stand bag, my only question is did Sun Mountain discontinue the 2.5? I was originally going to buy the 2.5 but now am leaning towards the 3.5, I'm a bit confused as eBay is listing new 2.5 bags for 2017 and don't really know what's different about the 2017 from the 2016, Sunmountain website is only showing the original 2.5 bag, I'm a bit confused

2.5 is still part of the lineup

It goes 2.5, 3.5ls, 4.5 now. I believe there's two variants of the 4.5

Here is there 2017 catalog http://www.sunmountain.com/catalog/2017/bag-cart/html5/index.html?page=1&server=

2.5 is still part of the lineup

It goes 2.5, 3.5ls, 4.5 now. I believe there's two variants of the 4.5

Here is there 2017 catalog http://www.sunmountain.com/catalog/2017/bag-cart/html5/index.html?page=1&server=

Jlukes thanks for the clarification, appreciate it!

No problem man. I don't think they made any notable changes to the 2.5 for 2017, which is why they asked us to review the new 3.5ls instead!

Yeah that's what I thought, I didn't enter this testing opportunity because I was all set to buy the 2.5 and then saw it at PGA superstore and determined I didn't like it and it was not for me, you have confirmed the 3.5 is the bag for me. I have the H2NO now and it's a bit too heavy to carry in the summer heat.

Yeah that's what I thought, I didn't enter this testing opportunity because I was all set to buy the 2.5 and then saw it at PGA superstore and determined I didn't like it and it was not for me, you have confirmed the 3.5 is the bag for me. I have the H2NO now and it's a bit too heavy to carry in the summer heat.

Yeah, heck I had the regular three5 before this and the 3.5LS is just so much easier to carry. Being about a half pound lighter helps, but I think the the thicker straps really are what makes it easier on the shoulders.

I just picked up the 4.5 14-way and love it.  The only improvement I wold like to see is a insulated beverage pocket.  Otherwise this being my first non-Nike bag, I am fairly pleased...

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I'm looking to get the C-130. It looks like there is some thumbs up reveries on it, so that's good news, I'm liking the USA bag.

that's the colorway I got !!!!!

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

that's the colorway I got !!!!!

Looking to get the cart bag. I don't walk much and if I do it will be with a push cart, I have messed up my shoulders and back with baseball, softball, and hockey, so carrying can get me really sore really quick.

My wife and kids told me to wait until Christmas so they have something to get me.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'm looking to get the C-130. It looks like there is some thumbs up reviews on it, so that's good news, I'm liking the USA bag.

I absolutely love the C-130 I can't praise the bag enough. If you have any questions on the bag let me know.

Whats in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815

3-Wood: Callaway Razr Fit

Hybrid: Adams Pro, 18 Degree

4-PW: Ping S56

SW: Cleveland CG10 (Need a set of wedges BAD!!!)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #6

Twitter: @rlshea

Mid-Minnesota Golf Club

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all been a few weeks since the initial review and wanted to pop in since my last couple of rounds. The 3.5 is still fantastic, in fact I think I like it better now then when I finished my review. Everything is holding up so far and as long as that continues I think my final score should rise a bit. For any walkers out there take a hard look at this bag!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Stage 1 of my review is up!

Looking forward to answering any and all questions from the community!

Joe, how is the height adjustment range of the shoulder straps?  I'm finding on my Titleist Sta Dry that I can't get the straps high enough up so the bag is essentially riding too low on my back, making it more difficult to walk.  Have you found you're able to get it as high or low on your back as you want?

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Joe, how is the height adjustment range of the shoulder straps? I'm finding on my Titleist Sta Dry that I can't get the straps high enough up so the bag is essentially riding too low on my back, making it more difficult to walk. Have you found you're able to get it as high or low on your back as you want?

Pretty darn good. I can get them high enough so it's almost like a backpack (several inches above my lower back or low enough where it's almost below my butt

Just had the wife snap some pics

Low IMG_20161112_092411.jpg

High

IMG_20161112_092454.jpg

Comfortable for me

IMG_20161112_092528.jpg

I just picked up the 4.5 14-way and love it.  The only improvement I wold like to see is a insulated beverage pocket.  Otherwise this being my first non-Nike bag, I am fairly pleased...

I have the same bag.  After 10 years with my Ogio Exo, I had to get a new one after the legs on it refused to prevent the bag from torquing and falling over.  Love the Four 5!  I was looking for a fairly light bag that had a full length 14 way divider.  

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Great Reviews, all.....as a cart bag user, I really liked the features that sun Mtn put into these bags.  

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived