Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Need Help...Marion Country Club Marion, Ohio

Ashton Plumley

I do not want to open up a bash session here but I have some questions to all my friends here on MGS.

If you pay with cash in the Pro Shop they are taught to not give you change unless you ask for it, thoughts?

They charge a 3% fee to use a credit card, thoughts?

They are not very prompt on billing and therefore you may incur late fees, thoughts?

I ended my services with them over a year ago and they proceeded to charge me a "finance charge", yet I never financed anything with them, thoughts?

Although my full balance is paid, less the fake finance charge, they are turning me into a collection agency, thoughts?

If anyone in there infinite wisdom can shed some light on this please help.

sent using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"What better gift from God than acres of neatly manicured scenery to chase a ball on!"

If you pay with cash in the Pro Shop they are taught to not give you change unless you ask for it, thoughts?  Bullshit.......ask for it, if they don't provide your change, then don't buy.

They charge a 3% fee to use a credit card, thoughts? Credit Card processing fees should be built into the sales price.....the only time you should pay the add-on is when making a major purchase such as home repiars.

They are not very prompt on billing and therefore you may incur late fees, thoughts? If you are a member and you have a monthly dues, know the date the dues are due and schedule your payment appropriately, then, if you have add'l fees(dining, etc.) pay them separately after you receive the bill.

I ended my services with them over a year ago and they proceeded to charge me a "finance charge", yet I never financed anything with them, thoughts? Don't pay it, unless there was a fee for breaking your membership.

Although my full balance is paid, less the fake finance charge, they are turning me into a collection agency, thoughts? It will hurt your credit score, but if you did not incurr the fee, then fight it.

If anyone in there infinite wisdom can shed some light on this please help. I am not sure what wisdom I have but you have my comments regarding your questions....I hope this helps you Aston....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thx fozcycle. I have decided to end my services with them. I wish there was a good way to let people know what kind of shady systems they are running. If they would just build the 3% charge into the pricing I wouldn't care but I feel like they are just trying to steal from me at every chance they get. It's so lousy. I really feel like they shouldn't be aloud to call themselves a country club.

"What better gift from God than acres of neatly manicured scenery to chase a ball on!"

They should be able to provide you with some sort of an interest statement. Meaning they need to prove that the interest was charged on a balance that you owed during a particular period of time.

While the entire charge sounds bogus, if they can't provide you with this it should make fighting the charge pretty easy. No proof is generally an easy win.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Since you are no longer a member I'd go by there and speak with accounting. How much do they say you own them? I'd clear it up. If you owe it pay it and be done with them.

My club charges a 3% fee if I pay my monthly statement/dues by credit card. So I don't. I hand them a check on or before the end of the month.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I do not want to open up a bash session here but I have some questions to all my friends here on MGS.

If you pay with cash in the Pro Shop they are taught to not give you change unless you ask for it, thoughts?

They charge a 3% fee to use a credit card, thoughts?

They are not very prompt on billing and therefore you may incur late fees, thoughts?

I ended my services with them over a year ago and they proceeded to charge me a "finance charge", yet I never financed anything with them, thoughts?

Although my full balance is paid, less the fake finance charge, they are turning me into a collection agency, thoughts?

If anyone in there infinite wisdom can shed some light on this please help.

I agree with pretty muh everything Foz said but will add this. Did they have anywhere in writing were they said they were going to charge said finance charge and you had to sign it? Such as the membership agreement/contract or billing agreement? IF they did and you signed it then you may as well pay it and be done with them. If not then fight it. It shouldn't be very hard to prove otherwise. They actually have to produce something saying you agreed to the charges at some point. The kicker is in the paperwork. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Here is where I dropped the ball. I was a member for 3 years and I don't have the original paperwork. I have asked for a copy 3 times and nobody will give me one.

Here is where I dropped the ball. I was a member for 3 years and I don't have the original paperwork. I have asked for a copy 3 times and nobody will give me one.

I believe they are required to give you a copy of the original. Tell them if they can provide documentation you signed that agrees to the "finance charge" then you will pay it. My bet is they won't be able to if they aren't wanting to give you a copy. 

They are absolutely required to provide you with a copy. If you took them to court or even if they sent you to a collector they would have to provide you with the paper work so that's another sign that they don't have anything. I live in Columbus. I'm trying to scheme a way that they might send me a copy of the current membership agreement to "review" haha

If you do get a copy I am wondering if it is the same as mine was 3 years ago. Also think of this, have you ever heard of auto renew for a membership? I should have to sign each year should I not? Well I only signed in the beginning and then they just kept billing me and I was using the facilities so that was fine but now looking back isn't that illegal?

Like stated above if we pay our bill with a credit card then we get a 3% charge.  I always pay by check.  I know if we do not send a letter to the club saying that we are resigning as members then we are still members for 2017.  Its not a auto renew, but most country clubs you do have to resign from. Hope this helps.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

The  "auto renew" is pretty common I would think. It's common for things like country clubs to have "grandfathered" deals with members who have been there awhile and things change over the years. Prices usually change on certain things but other things may not I suppose.

I'm not sure if it would be the same or not. It could very well be completely different. I'm just thinking it would give you a reference. Though, frankly, there is zero reason why you can't get a copy of your agreement. I'd be driving there and I'd sit in the office and wait until they produced the copy.

I'll also say this, in this situation. I have NO idea how you've handled the situation thus far so don't take this comment as any reflection of that, but, kill them with kindness. It sounds like its a bit of a mess of an organization which means the employees are likely unhappy. You stand a much better "shot" at getting it corrected on your terms if said employee isn't feeling like they're getting yelled at from both sides. Hopefully that makes sense, and again, obviously no reflection on how you've handled it so far.

Wow

All of this is hard to imagine. Clubs are normally very good at keeping their membership informed about things such as price changes or potential discounts 3 percent cash/check stuff like that.

Normally resignations must be submitted in writing so that could be on you.

I don't know what to say about keeping the change for cash sales in the clubhouse.

I think you should go in, sit with the accountant and settle the matter.

Good luck

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I will add this... I've started noticing places not giving you the coins when returning your change. Only the bills. There have been a few times that I made the sales person - waitress/waiter, etc. go back and get it. Usually it's a rather small about. But, it's the principal of the deal and I don't like it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I will add this... I've started noticing places not giving you the coins when returning your change. Only the bills. There have been a few times that I made the sales person - waitress/waiter, etc. go back and get it. Usually it's a rather small about. But, it's the principal of the deal and I don't like it.

As long as they are rounding up, then there should be no problem....  $4.15 change, bring me a fiver.  Otherwise, I'd better get every red cent back. 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

As long as they are rounding up, then there should be no problem.... $4.15 change, bring me a fiver. Otherwise, I'd better get every red cent back.

Agreed! The worst part is that money still probably isn't making it to the pocket of the employees.

Auto renew on contracts isn't a new thing. It's 100% legal as well. I believe you must sign or initial something agreeing to it though. Generally, when they are auto renewed it is on a month to month basis unless the contract states otherwise.

As long as they are rounding up, then there should be no problem....  $4.15 change, bring me a fiver.  Otherwise, I'd better get every red cent back. 

Exactly this.

I volunteered at PGA Championship this year in the merchandise tent -- They were rounding down to nearest quarter. For example, if your bill was $50.24 then the machine rounded down to $50. If people want to stop dealing with small change then this seems to be the right way to do it.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Mini

Hybrids: Adams Tight Lie (3)

Irons: 5-A Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 (56/60)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX 1

I pay my bill monthly with a CC and don't get charged extra.....so I get reward points

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I pay my bill monthly with a CC and don't get charged extra.....so I get reward points

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:) We have to pay a small fee ($2.00 to process it over the internet)

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

Since I play at a public course, I have no monthly payments.  I pay at the beginning of the year and use a credit card.  No additional fees charged.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I understand the additional fee to process CC transactions. Unless you own/work in a business that deals with bank cards and customers daily, it is difficult to grasp how much money the fees add up to on a monthly basis.  It is staggering.  Ask any bar owner. 

I am more than happy to pay the convenience fee to pay with credit card at smaller, local merchants.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I understand the additional fee to process CC transactions. Unless you own/work in a business that deals with bank cards and customers daily, it is difficult to grasp how much money the fees add up to on a monthly basis.  It is staggering.  Ask any bar owner. 

I am more than happy to pay the convenience fee to pay with credit card at smaller, local merchants.  

My wife runs her own small business and like most businesses today, customers pay with credit cards.  She get very few cash transactions anymore.  However, she will not accept a cc for less than $10 and she has adjusted her prices to account for the cc fee that the banks charge.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Do I have any lawyer friends I could reach out to here? I'm thinking a very general letter with something about we have been getting complaints from several members about quote finance charges, and some legal words saying that finance charges are not legal and they could face penalties and you would recommend dropping all quote finance charges to all members so to not need further action. Something about class law suits. I don't know.

Unless your actually ready to take legal action AND you have several people also willing, probably not your best move. At least not worded that way. I'm also not sure how much these finance charges amount to but chances are legal fees may end up costing you more depending on how far you actually have to take it.

If you go the letter route, I would simply stick with just your case specifically (obviously the lawyer can represent multiple clients with the same or similar case). I'm no lawyer but I'd imagine it would just simply state that you are being represented by _____ and they are requesting the information and proof from the country club to resolve this matter in a timely fashion. Of course, with a lot more legal jargon.

Just out of curiosity, I know you've spoke briefly about it, but what exact steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue?

So far I was contacted about 2 weeks ago and was told I owed about 1100, and had to have it paid within one week. After basically telling him to get lost he proceeded to explain that he would have to turn me into collections which I am sure is just one of the members that would take the accounts and send me a letter stating I owe that money. After reviewing I realized that they had charged me about 300 in finance charges. After discussing with my wife we told them we would pay the balance owed less the fake finance charges. So we paid him about 900. The issue has now become a disgust of everything they have ever tried to do to me and my family in the past. It is just a very shady business and 20 years ago it was completely different from what I have heard. It used to be ran by the people and the members had a say and they were treated with respect. They were treated like they paid for the club to stay open, oh wait...we do! No its owned by a group of business guys that are trying to scam you out of every dollar they can. Every year around Christmas they send out a pack of greens fee vouchers that if you don't take them back to the club before a certain date then they just charge you $100 and assume you want to keep them. I mean how sketchy is that. And of all the old guys that maybe just don't know any better they just pay the bill and those vouchers go to rot. It's just sketchy. I have asked for my documents that have my signature to see if I even owe them anything. I am sure the 8 days I have been waiting for that document is because they are trying to change wording and forge it and yadda yada yadda. I just want them to know they are doing this all wrong and they should treat people better and I am tired of just handing them money because it seems to me they basically think they can do whatever they want and people will just pay them for it. I just want to go back to the stories I heard from 20 years ago. That's what I really want.

Make sense. I tend to be like you in the sense that when I see a business or person doing wrong I want to stick it to them too. If it is as disorganized as it sounds, finding a lawyer and paying him $50 bucks or something to draft a letter to send basically kind of putting the pressure back on them to produce the documents and proof or take a hike may be worth it. You run the risk of them producing said documents (assuming they're not forged and whatnot...that's a whole other ball game) and it showing that you owe it and so now your out the extra $50 bucks. Just my $.02 from dealing with some "similar" situations.

Yea definitely don't go the fake class act law suit. At the end of the day you better be ready to back that up if they call your bluff. I still find in interesting that they can't produce any paperwork though. Good luck my friend. 

Archived