Ashton Plumley

Need Help...Marion Country Club Marion, Ohio

I pay my bill monthly with a CC and don't get charged extra.....so I get reward points

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:) We have to pay a small fee ($2.00 to process it over the internet)

Since I play at a public course, I have no monthly payments.  I pay at the beginning of the year and use a credit card.  No additional fees charged.

I understand the additional fee to process CC transactions. Unless you own/work in a business that deals with bank cards and customers daily, it is difficult to grasp how much money the fees add up to on a monthly basis.  It is staggering.  Ask any bar owner. 

I am more than happy to pay the convenience fee to pay with credit card at smaller, local merchants.  

• Like 1

I understand the additional fee to process CC transactions. Unless you own/work in a business that deals with bank cards and customers daily, it is difficult to grasp how much money the fees add up to on a monthly basis.  It is staggering.  Ask any bar owner. 

I am more than happy to pay the convenience fee to pay with credit card at smaller, local merchants.  

My wife runs her own small business and like most businesses today, customers pay with credit cards.  She get very few cash transactions anymore.  However, she will not accept a cc for less than $10 and she has adjusted her prices to account for the cc fee that the banks charge.

• Like 1

Do I have any lawyer friends I could reach out to here? I'm thinking a very general letter with something about we have been getting complaints from several members about quote finance charges, and some legal words saying that finance charges are not legal and they could face penalties and you would recommend dropping all quote finance charges to all members so to not need further action. Something about class law suits. I don't know.

sent using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Unless your actually ready to take legal action AND you have several people also willing, probably not your best move. At least not worded that way. I'm also not sure how much these finance charges amount to but chances are legal fees may end up costing you more depending on how far you actually have to take it.

If you go the letter route, I would simply stick with just your case specifically (obviously the lawyer can represent multiple clients with the same or similar case). I'm no lawyer but I'd imagine it would just simply state that you are being represented by _____ and they are requesting the information and proof from the country club to resolve this matter in a timely fashion. Of course, with a lot more legal jargon.

Just out of curiosity, I know you've spoke briefly about it, but what exact steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue?

• Like 1

So far I was contacted about 2 weeks ago and was told I owed about 1100, and had to have it paid within one week. After basically telling him to get lost he proceeded to explain that he would have to turn me into collections which I am sure is just one of the members that would take the accounts and send me a letter stating I owe that money. After reviewing I realized that they had charged me about 300 in finance charges. After discussing with my wife we told them we would pay the balance owed less the fake finance charges. So we paid him about 900. The issue has now become a disgust of everything they have ever tried to do to me and my family in the past. It is just a very shady business and 20 years ago it was completely different from what I have heard. It used to be ran by the people and the members had a say and they were treated with respect. They were treated like they paid for the club to stay open, oh wait...we do! No its owned by a group of business guys that are trying to scam you out of every dollar they can. Every year around Christmas they send out a pack of greens fee vouchers that if you don't take them back to the club before a certain date then they just charge you $100 and assume you want to keep them. I mean how sketchy is that. And of all the old guys that maybe just don't know any better they just pay the bill and those vouchers go to rot. It's just sketchy. I have asked for my documents that have my signature to see if I even owe them anything. I am sure the 8 days I have been waiting for that document is because they are trying to change wording and forge it and yadda yada yadda. I just want them to know they are doing this all wrong and they should treat people better and I am tired of just handing them money because it seems to me they basically think they can do whatever they want and people will just pay them for it. I just want to go back to the stories I heard from 20 years ago. That's what I really want.

sent using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Make sense. I tend to be like you in the sense that when I see a business or person doing wrong I want to stick it to them too. If it is as disorganized as it sounds, finding a lawyer and paying him $50 bucks or something to draft a letter to send basically kind of putting the pressure back on them to produce the documents and proof or take a hike may be worth it. You run the risk of them producing said documents (assuming they're not forged and whatnot...that's a whole other ball game) and it showing that you owe it and so now your out the extra $50 bucks. Just my $.02 from dealing with some "similar" situations.

Yea definitely don't go the fake class act law suit. At the end of the day you better be ready to back that up if they call your bluff. I still find in interesting that they can't produce any paperwork though. Good luck my friend.