TESTERS WANTED! ×

RBZ Speed anyone?

therod

Long time reader, first time poster...

So I turn the big 40 next month. And for my birthday I asked my wife to tell family just to give me cash so I can buy/build/reshaft a new driver. While looking around recently, I see that TaylorMade came out with the RBZ Speed series for Dick's Sporting Goods. I know it's trying to make the old new. But it is a sharp looking head, and I haven't hit a TaylorMade in years. Maybe decades. Has anyone hit? Played it? My newest driver is probably 4 or 5 years old (maybe more), so there is a lot out there I haven't played. I was also considering the SLDR-C, because with 3 kids in the house, money has to be considered. And if I want to buy new(er) I have to consider all options, and I was really hoping to get something new (for a change, since it's my b-day)

Well probably sooner rather than later your going to have a particular individual give you a STUNNING review of the SLDR-C.

Beyond that I haven't hit either. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Hi therod, and welcome!!

You should know that anything that Dicks or any other Big Box store sells that is a "Made For" version is intentionally dumbed down from the original product. All they share in essence is the brand and name.  I have to believe that there are plentiful options available of much better, premium equipment at a far better price close to where you live.  

If you would provide us with a little information about your swing, and golf habits, I am sure that someone on the boards will have some input.

Good luck!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Ask, and you shall receive. Hopefully this is of some help.

I probably have a mid-trajectory or mid-high ball flight. My 9-iron goes around 150, my driver goes around 270. I probably have a little bit of a flatter swing plane. The current driver is an old KZG Gemini2 (still a very good club). My other is a Geek DCT. The KZG is 10.5 deg, the Geek is a 9. I hit more draws (or hooks) than I do fades. I have to WORK to hit a fade. But I can hook a sand wedge around a flag pole. The KZG has a blue Aldila Tour Proto shaft, while the Geek has a AXE Tour 6.0, both in stiff.

I have had great luck with 2nd Swing, even their Ebay shop, Callaway Preowned, and ProClubs on eBay as well. You can get new, or very close to new, at lower prices. Callaway Preowned sells other brands and they even have a return policy that allows one to send a club back up to 90 days after purchase.

I wouldn't go with the in-house options at Dick's ahead of the real deal ones from great sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I probably have a mid-trajectory or mid-high ball flight. My 9-iron goes around 150, my driver goes around 270. I probably have a little bit of a flatter swing plane. The current driver is an old KZG Gemini2 (still a very good club). My other is a Geek DCT. The KZG is 10.5 deg, the Geek is a 9. I hit more draws (or hooks) than I do fades. I have to WORK to hit a fade. But I can hook a sand wedge around a flag pole. The KZG has a blue Aldila Tour Proto shaft, while the Geek has a AXE Tour 6.0, both in stiff.

That "old" KZG is still one heck of a driver and yours has one heck of a shaft. I can give one piece of advice save your money test some drivers and make a decision

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

What are you looking to accomplish by changing drivers?  More distance? Better consistency? Lower spin rate? Do you prefer heavier or lighter feeling shafts?  (I'm gonna guess lighter) What's the budget??

Both of your current drivers sound pretty good.  There are obviously options out there that will help straighten out the left in your shots....   

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I'm assuming given how old my stable of drivers is, I could probably find a few more yards in a store fairly easily. Not 20 or 30, but a few. The fact is, it's been forever since I bought a new driver, and I think it's time. I just want to have something new in the bag. I probably prefer a slightly heavier-feeling club. My birthday is next month, and I will be using money from the birthday gifts my wife told everyone to give me (since I told I her I would really like to get a new stick), so I'm not really sure what my budget will be. My most specific guess right now would be under $200.

If you like a heavier feeling driver then take a look at the Callaway 815 Alpha DBD, swing weights out around D5 and gives a nice heavy head feeling.  Not the most forgiving driver I have ever hit, but not the least forgiving either.  Callaway's pre-owned site should have one with a nice shaft for your budget or under.  I would say that if you can hit one before you pull the trigger it would be best since it seems to be a love or hate type of club.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I'm assuming given how old my stable of drivers is, I could probably find a few more yards in a store fairly easily. Not 20 or 30, but a few. The fact is, it's been forever since I bought a new driver, and I think it's time. I just want to have something new in the bag. I probably prefer a slightly heavier-feeling club. My birthday is next month, and I will be using money from the birthday gifts my wife told everyone to give me (since I told I her I would really like to get a new stick), so I'm not really sure what my budget will be. My most specific guess right now would be under $200.

Great info.

Let me chew on this overnight, and I will have a few ideas in the morning!

I guess I'll be the first one to say it, I'm kind of surprised it's taken this long.

Have you considered using the birthday money for a fitting instead of a driver? Length wise you seem pretty similar to me. I just went through the haze for better this year and after 4 driver and 6 shafts I'm back to where I started.

Rather than buying blind and hoping it might be worth using some of that money and getting fit. It might take longer but you can use the fitting info and make a more informed decision of what should work when you pull the trigger on a new driver.

FWIW I'd stay away from random big box new drivers just because it's new. Fitted trumps new every day and twice on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I guess I'll be the first one to say it, I'm kind of surprised it's taken this long.

Have you considered using the birthday money for a fitting instead of a driver? Length wise you seem pretty similar to me. I just went through the haze for better this year and after 4 driver and 6 shafts I'm back to where I started.

Rather than buying blind and hoping it might be worth using some of that money and getting fit. It might take longer but you can use the fitting info and make a more informed decision of what should work when you pull the trigger on a new driver.

FWIW I'd stay away from random big box new drivers just because it's new. Fitted trumps new every day and twice on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

First, welcome from the Pacific Northwest!!  Glad you joined us.  This is great advice and it's money well spent.  Not sure where you are located, but depending on the location, you can find a fitter that will help find the best driver for you and sometimes the cost of the fitting is subtracted from the purchase of a driver.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have had great luck with 2nd Swing, even their Ebay shop, Callaway Preowned, and ProClubs on eBay as well. You can get new, or very close to new, at lower prices. Callaway Preowned sells other brands and they even have a return policy that allows one to send a club back up to 90 days after purchase.

I wouldn't go with the in-house options at Dick's ahead of the real deal ones from great sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would also be my recommendation.

I've gotten a lot of last-season drivers (some hit once, some brand new) with premium shafts for $100-$150

If you don't have to play the newest and shiniest on the market... this is the way to go!

Last week saw a new X2Hot Pro with a Tour Green shaft... for $80... 

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Technically I've not been "fitted." But since I do all of my own club work, to say I used to play around with different shafts in my drivers is like saying Trump has a few dollars. I just haven't been able to play around as much lately with my equipment now that I have a wife and 3 kids. I still have a few shafts in the basement, so whatever driver I get will probably go through a little experimentation anyway. And I have a Wave shaft that's still new-in-the-box waiting to be tried out.

I've not not the X2Hot but I have seen multiple reviews of guys saying it's the longest they've hit. I've also been wanting to try the I25 and the G30. What's a guy to do? ;)

It is pretty sweet and for $80... a no brainer! :D

Just an example of how you can get last season's gear new, for little money.

So you don't have to go the Dick's road...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

... One of the sad realities of the 4 year cycle disappearing. It used to be we bought a new driver when it came out or soon thereafter. Maybe a year or two later if our current driver needed an update. Even the 2 year cycle held the full retail price until the new model was released which was healthy for the retailer and our used club sales. 

... Now with a new driver coming out every year and price reductions happening within months of release sometimes, it makes  very little sense to buy new. Sure something comes along every now and then like the SLDR that was so revolutionary we skipped the waiting period. But for me, the Fly Z was the best driver I have ever played and got my index to a plus for the first time after getting close many seasons. The F6 release was even better., especially being able to move the weight forward in windy conditions. But again for me, the increased performance was slight and not worth paying full retail when it would be reduced half way thru the season.

... That said, I am 63 and hitting the ball as far as I ever have as I have stayed in good shape with exercise, weights and aerobic exercise. But my window for breaking my lowest round is closing. If I find a new driver that I like more than what I am playing, I will not hesitate to purchase it the day it is released. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Another club I have been considering, especially since now you can get them cheap, is the Jetspeed. Not popular I know, but launch angles, spin, and head speed aren't a problem for me, so I thought why not try something intended to reduce those for potentially longer drives.

Another club I have been considering, especially since now you can get them cheap, is the Jetspeed. Not popular I know, but launch angles, spin, and head speed aren't a problem for me, so I thought why not try something intended to reduce those for potentially longer drives.

IME, Jetspeed has a higher than average launch and spin. If you are looking for something to knock that down, I would look elsewhere.

Well I don't think I need to knock numbers down. My tee ball doesn't float, it's not in the air forever. I think it would probably be a good driver for me with the right shaft and loft set-up. Looking at it as much from the price perspective as anything. I really like the look of the RBZ Speed, but I am also afraid of it launching too high for my swing. It's probably more forgiving than either of my drivers, but I was a little afraid of it launching too high for me.

... Very under rated driver imo. Played quite  bit on all the tours. Jessica Korda used a Jetspeed and she is one of the longest drivers on tour. Camilo Villages played one as well. TM just screwed up the graphics and the name wasn't well received. But I think it is one of their better drivers and I put my playing pard in one with a Kuro Kage Black shaft and he still loves and plays it. While it will never be considered low spin like the SLDR/M1, I would certainly call it an average to just below average spin driver.  

Good info to hear about the Jetspeed. I have a set of fairway woods at home that I bought on the bay for next to nothing. They feel really nice and I like the launch characteristics, and they go plenty far. But for me, for some reason, they set up closed. And when I already fight a draw/hook, having something that sets up or looks closed, it's dangerous. But I've hit a few balls with the 3wood that I absolutely pured, and I was almost shocked at how far they carried.

Also now giving a serious look at the Fly-Z and Fly-Z+. Curious, did you hit both the Fly-Z and the Fly-Z+?

... I hit them both and talked with the Design Engineer at length before deciding on the Fly Z. Basically everyone in Cobra R&D were playing the Fly Z with the 16gm weight installed. (one low index engineer was playing the LTD but nobody was playing the Z+) They called it the "hot setup" because it was long and the straightest driver they had ever tested. Frankly I hated the sound and feel of the Z+ so it was never a serious consideration for me. I had my best driving season ever playing the Fly Z with the 16gm weight at 44.5" and cannot recommend it highly enough. Offering a free upgrade to a Tour Blue/Green and a White Tie was a nice touch. 

I may be a little behind the curve here, but 16gm weight? I am also looking to upgrade cheaply, and flyZ/+ are near the top of my list - just can't remember offhand what the weight scenario was...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

... The Fly Z comes with a stock 8gm weight. You can purchase a separate 16gm weight, and since most play their driver shorter than the silly standard that OEMs insist on so robots can hit longer drives, the heavier weight brings swing weight back to normal. You can also simply add lead tape under the stock weight then tighten for a clean look and higher moi. Just add several layers and drill or punch a hole so the screw can be re-insterted. 

Hmmm interesting. Kinda surprises me that the Cobra employees were playing the Fly-Z and not the plus, but they obviously had the test results to validate it. I actually play my driver at 44", so I would definately need to add some weight. I also have a brand new shaft sitting in the corner of the basement patiently waiting to get a chance (a Wave shaft btw). I might be inclined to just order a 2nd adapter, and just have 2 different shafts ready to go.

... To be clear, these were all the guys/girls in R&D and some are college players, but guys in sales or other employee's may play the Z+. I have 4 adaptors and they really come in handy. Hopefully the F7 uses the same adaptor. 

Archived