TESTERS WANTED! ×

You're given 1000 dollars for "golf" and you need to start over

StrokerAce

I like the idea of getting a lesson first and find out what you should be looking for in a fitting along with it. Then you buy clubs (2nd hand) and then fit in as many lessons as you can. I know it's unoriginal but that's the smart way to go.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I'd get a starter set (and immediately throw the driver out), and get lessons from a pro that I can trust. Pros are like restaurants - they sell the same thing, but some are far better than others. Ask around for the right one!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Great idea for a thread! I'm wondering if $1,000 is possibly too much budget.

My game plan would be to take a ride down to Blair County Golf and have a lesson with my pro, I'd demo a bunch of their used clubs (they have a huge selection) and eventually find something that fits my swing to the best of what the used stuff has to offer. I'd be hard pressed to guess that set would cost more than $1,000. Any leftover cash would be budgeted to have repeat lessons with the pro to groove the set and get some range time in!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

A grand is too easy. Let's make it $500 and see what people come up with. I know where I'd go with a grand and likely have cash left

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

A grand is too easy. Let's make it $500 and see what people come up with. I know where I'd go with a grand and likely have cash left

Interesting.  That begs the question - "how much does it cost to get started in golf with a quality set of sticks that are appropriate for your skill level?"  .... is a fitting required/needed/suggested ?  how about at least 1 or 2 lessons?  Lessons before or after the fitting?  Or is golf something that someone can just learn themselves like bowling or badminton?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I think having SOME basis of a swing developed before a fitting is important. It would be really wise to to take 2-3 lessons from a qualified professional and then get fit for a set of pre-owned sticks from their inventory. That's the best route.

As a new golfer buying a set of 2-3 year old (or older) clubs isn't a big deal. However them having the correct length/lie and shafts is very important!

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Interesting.  That begs the question - "how much does it cost to get started in golf with a quality set of sticks that are appropriate for your skill level?"  .... is a fitting required/needed/suggested ?  how about at least 1 or 2 lessons?  Lessons before or after the fitting?  Or is golf something that someone can just learn themselves like bowling or badminton?

It depends on your natural ability, but I would say for the majority of new golfers DO NOT try to learn the game on your own.  Lesson starting out will save years of frustration later.  I know; that's the path I took.  I thought I was above average athletically having played baseball, softball, volleyball, but you know what golf can do to a confident male!!   I had to "unlearn" many bad habits after I went to my first golf school.  I had a few lessons before, but a good golf school will lead to faster improvement.  

As long as the clubs you have are a reasonable fit for length and lie, I would spend the $1000 on lessons and if possible, a multiple-day school.  Treat it like a golf vacation, and get better clubs later.  You will be better off in the long run.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think having SOME basis of a swing developed before a fitting is important. It would be really wise to to take 2-3 lessons from a qualified professional and then get fit for a set of pre-owned sticks from their inventory. That's the best route.

As a new golfer buying a set of 2-3 year old (or older) clubs isn't a big deal. However them having the correct length/lie and shafts is very important!

Just curious how you do this: " get fit for a set of pre-owned sticks from their inventory. "

Do you tell the fitter up front that you want some pre-owned clubs instead of new ones?  The fitting experience I had, I was fit into the newest model but I didn't say anything up front.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I bought my Ping ISI Becu in 1999, my first set with a zero swing. Went to Ping to get fitted and they told me to come back when I was better as the Becu could only be bent so many times and that is not much at all. I think having a "reasonable" swing (not great) is to your benefit first. 

Just curious how you do this: " get fit for a set of pre-owned sticks from their inventory. "

Do you tell the fitter up front that you want some pre-owned clubs instead of new ones? The fitting experience I had, I was fit into the newest model but I didn't say anything up front.

At 2nd swing they will fit you into anything, new or used.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Just curious how you do this: " get fit for a set of pre-owned sticks from their inventory. "

Do you tell the fitter up front that you want some pre-owned clubs instead of new ones?  The fitting experience I had, I was fit into the newest model but I didn't say anything up front.

Well honestly it's going to depend on the shop. The shop I go to carries new and used clubs and I would simply go in and tell them that I'm on a budget and would like to get fit into something inexpensive but that can be adjusted to my needs. I would then rely on the expertise of the professional to find the best set for my skill level.

Hope that answers your question!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Well honestly it's going to depend on the shop. The shop I go to carries new and used clubs and I would simply go in and tell them that I'm on a budget and would like to get fit into something inexpensive but that can be adjusted to my needs. I would then rely on the expertise of the professional to find the best set for my skill level.

Hope that answers your question!

Great tip!  I'll give that a shot next time.  Curious though.... if you already have a set of clubs what do you do with them?  Try to get fit "into" them or just plan on getting rid of them and starting over?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I would think a good fitting would either fit you into the clubs, saying these are right for you,  our out of the clubs and it would be explained why. Like  these 2* flat you need 2* upright, stiff shafts , you should have senior flex.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

I actually did this for a guy I work with today when I got back from Vegas. He has been wanting to learn and Top Golf this week got him jump started.

Driver: Adams 9064 LS Diamana D+ 70 $45

Fairway: Adams LS Kuro Kage $40

Hybrid: Adams XTD Ti 20* Matrix Red Tie $45

Irons: Ping Eye 2 3 -PW $99

Wedges: Cleveland 588 52*, 56*, 60* $100 for all three

Putter: Odyssey T Line $70

Bag: Adidas carry bag $85

All in it was under $500 before tax and has a pretty good set of sticks to get started with. The driver may be a bit tough for him to hit though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Great bag, jmike - the 9064 was surprisingly easy for me to hit, btw...

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Great tip! I'll give that a shot next time. Curious though.... if you already have a set of clubs what do you do with them? Try to get fit "into" them or just plan on getting rid of them and starting over?

Really it just comes down to realizing that a set of clubs is basically just a group of individual components. It depends on how I'll fitting the shafts are/how much you have budgeted.

Assuming the heads work (correct gapping and launch characteristics) then it really just comes down to what you need out of a shaft and what lie angle you need. A pro could easily help you with that OR if it's a shaft fitting you could find an authorized shaft fitter for a brand you trust and go that way.

But you can make an existing set work within reason. All you need is some time with a trained professional!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

How much Ca$h we talking about on this weekend game?

Tell your buddies you want two-man teams in best ball format, then you hire the cheaper local pro for your teammate... ;-)

Ha!

But actually I agree with the multiple day golf school idea - combine a trip to a nice place with a bunch of consecutive days of instruction, clinics, coaching and video review that covers all aspects of the game .. plus play on a new course .. and you're practically guaranteed to come out the other end with a much better game.

My wife and I did this, though when we were still total beginners, but it definitely helped kick-start our games and - gave us much more confidence out on the course so we were able to actually start getting around ok (not well, but ok!).

And we had a great trip and a great time :)

Agree that clubs are secondary:

The swing's the thing!!!

Any decent SGI clubs, ie. super easy to hit and launch reasonably straight, and properly fit will work well while you improve your swing - and course management skills!

Only things I would not totally cheap out on are the wedges and the putter......

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I would definitely spend about $400 on 4 x golf lessons as this would have saved me many strokes over the years and get the fundamentals right in the first place.

I know $600 wouldn't get me a lot in terms of equipment but with the lessons I would at least be hitting the ball a lot straighter and further and I'd have the right fundamentals in place to keep playing great golf for years to come.

Great question, cheers :)

Mizuno MP-25 irons, R/H, N.S. Pro 950GH regular shafts

Cobra King LTD 8.5 degrees driver, R/H stiff Aldila Rogue shaft

Titleist 3-wood 915F, 15 degrees, Diamana stiff flex shaft

Queensland, Australia

Handicap 5

www.HittingItSolid.com

The Perfect Golf Swing

favicon-96x96.png

I have the clubs that I want.....Cobra King LTD Driver(11.5*) Cobra Bio-Cell 2 Hybrid(17.5*) Cobra F6 Baffler(17*) Cobra F6 irons set to 2* Flat  SCOR 53*/57* & SC Kombi 33" putter.

So I would use the $1K for Lessons to help me improve my short game.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Great bag, jmike - the 9064 was surprisingly easy for me to hit, btw...

I played one as well and like it a lot. Would not be my first choice for a beginner but should do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Yeah, not sgi for sure, but I would still be gaming it if I hadn't cracked it. Had my best driving years with that club, and to tell you the truth, I'm going to grab one to test alongside the others when I get fitted this winter/spring...

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

200 on lessons. 200 on range balls, 100 on a fitting. 300 on used clubs. 100 on the father's tweaks and in three months I have enough money to purchase an upgraded set. :)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived