GolfSpy Stroker

You're given 1000 dollars for "golf" and you need to start over

Our Sponsors

Well this is cool ---

First one's obvious - you need clubs to put in the bag or you can't play. If I'm a 20 I'd hit the Bay and find some SGI clubs of recent vintage that could be had at a very attractive price -- Wilson Staff Defy iron/hybrid set can be had new for under $300. If I wanted to spend a bit more I'd look for a used set of Bridgestone JGR hybrid irons.

Next would be driver, FW and putter - also on the Bay or a place like 2nd Swing in Minneapolis. They'll fit you for free when you buy something - you won't have your choice of shafts or anything, but they will help you sort out what driver might be best for you.

I'd set a budget of $600 to $700 on the sticks, the rest would go to lessons. If I could get sticks for less than $500, all the better...

Thanks, Barbajo! You saved me from writing all the same stuff you said, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

But being a beginner with a 20ish handicap, would it make a difference if you get a standard pro for $70 or the best of the best for $200?

Could be a guy at $70, if he's good and doesn't teach to one swing style... A lot of guys are "teachers", but very few actually are any good. Personally, I'd start with the "top teachers" list in your state. One can even call their "local" PGA section for recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Geez that was impressive... And not a bad bag at all!

I love golfing on a budget. I was actually impressed with some of these prices. That was kind of fun as well. Ive gotten some deals. 

The best part is most of these clubs have reached the bottom of their value so you should be able to resell them for pretty close to what you paid in a year or so to upgrade. 

• Like 1

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I did something like that 10 years ago. Took my clubs and went to a "club analysis, swing analysis, putting analysis , lesson" in White Plains NY.  At the time it was a $200 fee. When all was said and done they recommended  a few different sets of game improvement clubs to help my game.  I went with the Cleveland club set and it was a big improvement. I was joining a private CC and I was willing to spend some $ to make myself a better golfer, problem was I did not spend enough $.

It was a very thorough fitting, even showed me where my putter was lined up when I thought it was lined up at the hole, it was off by 8" in 15 feet. { Laser set up}  My club fitter was a guy by the name of Andrew Stroukoff, yes really. He was a world class athlete and represented the USA in the 1976 winter Olympics.  Nothing like having a professional guide you thru getting the right equipment..

• Like 1

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

Clubs first: driver something used like a Ping G10 great older model and won't break the bank while still getting a good club.

Irons: spend a bit more here as more shots are hit here than anywhere. I'd go with titleist AP1 712s from 2013 great quality irons. For FW something like what Barbajo said, on the bay second hand prolly stick with ping. Putter I love the taylormade spider.

Just like Barbajo if I can get out of all that below $600-700 the rest is lessons.

That was fun. Wish I had $1000!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Currently deciding between :Arccos:  and the :ShotScope:  V3

I am rather athletic and for the most part self taught, so I would spend all of the money on equipment and nothing on lessons.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C100PA using Tapatalk

Self taught yes, athletic no...spend $400 on fitness center membership to get fit with golf related exercises then spend the rest on used clubs at my local PGA SS or on eBay...now show me the money!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 & 4 hybrids regular shafts 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

My club fitter was a guy by the name of Andrew Stroukoff, yes really. 

Stroukoff?  As in "stroke off?"  Perfect name for a club fitter!  

• Like 2

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Not sure if this has been done before but thought it'd be a fun little experiment.

Baseline:

-You have a bag and need clubs to put in it.  

-You are an average to below average player (~20hcp) and the clubs you own are junk that you're going to sell at your next yard sale.

-You have shoes, and all that other crap.

How do you spend your $ and in which order (clubs, lessons, fitting, new vs used etc.) ??

...you only have 1000 dollars... that's it !

I'd keep my "junk" clubs for the time being and plan myself a nice little golf trip. Spending $1000 on new equipment and lessons, etc. isn't going to make me any better immediately. But, I could take my existing hacker game immediately anywhere and come home with a bag full of great memories. You only live once.

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Stroukoff?  As in "stroke off?"  Perfect name for a club fitter!  

AHYUP 

• Like 1

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

This one is easy.

SLDR C Driver, Fairway and Hybrid - $200 total

Ping G20 irons - $180 (just got a set for a friend of mine)

Two Vokey SM5 wedges of the used rack - $80 (got these as well to go with the irons)

Cleveland Milled Putter - $100

Figure this leaves me enough cash to head to the bar and have some fun or at least forget that I actually own an SLDR C driver with Uncle Jack.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This never gets old haha

• Like 1

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I like the idea of getting a lesson first and find out what you should be looking for in a fitting along with it. Then you buy clubs (2nd hand) and then fit in as many lessons as you can. I know it's unoriginal but that's the smart way to go.

• Like 1

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I'd get a starter set (and immediately throw the driver out), and get lessons from a pro that I can trust. Pros are like restaurants - they sell the same thing, but some are far better than others. Ask around for the right one!

• Like 1

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Great idea for a thread! I'm wondering if $1,000 is possibly too much budget.

My game plan would be to take a ride down to Blair County Golf and have a lesson with my pro, I'd demo a bunch of their used clubs (they have a huge selection) and eventually find something that fits my swing to the best of what the used stuff has to offer. I'd be hard pressed to guess that set would cost more than $1,000. Any leftover cash would be budgeted to have repeat lessons with the pro to groove the set and get some range time in!

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

A grand is too easy. Let's make it $500 and see what people come up with. I know where I'd go with a grand and likely have cash left

• Like 1

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

A grand is too easy. Let's make it $500 and see what people come up with. I know where I'd go with a grand and likely have cash left

Interesting.  That begs the question - "how much does it cost to get started in golf with a quality set of sticks that are appropriate for your skill level?"  .... is a fitting required/needed/suggested ?  how about at least 1 or 2 lessons?  Lessons before or after the fitting?  Or is golf something that someone can just learn themselves like bowling or badminton?

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220 HZRDUS Smoke
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:callaway-small:  Apex 20 Catalyst 6.0
:callaway-small:  Apex 23 Catalyst 6.0
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:ping-small: Sigma G Kinloch C 
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

I think having SOME basis of a swing developed before a fitting is important. It would be really wise to to take 2-3 lessons from a qualified professional and then get fit for a set of pre-owned sticks from their inventory. That's the best route.

As a new golfer buying a set of 2-3 year old (or older) clubs isn't a big deal. However them having the correct length/lie and shafts is very important!

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Interesting.  That begs the question - "how much does it cost to get started in golf with a quality set of sticks that are appropriate for your skill level?"  .... is a fitting required/needed/suggested ?  how about at least 1 or 2 lessons?  Lessons before or after the fitting?  Or is golf something that someone can just learn themselves like bowling or badminton?

It depends on your natural ability, but I would say for the majority of new golfers DO NOT try to learn the game on your own.  Lesson starting out will save years of frustration later.  I know; that's the path I took.  I thought I was above average athletically having played baseball, softball, volleyball, but you know what golf can do to a confident male!!   I had to "unlearn" many bad habits after I went to my first golf school.  I had a few lessons before, but a good golf school will lead to faster improvement.  

As long as the clubs you have are a reasonable fit for length and lie, I would spend the $1000 on lessons and if possible, a multiple-day school.  Treat it like a golf vacation, and get better clubs later.  You will be better off in the long run.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think having SOME basis of a swing developed before a fitting is important. It would be really wise to to take 2-3 lessons from a qualified professional and then get fit for a set of pre-owned sticks from their inventory. That's the best route.

As a new golfer buying a set of 2-3 year old (or older) clubs isn't a big deal. However them having the correct length/lie and shafts is very important!

Just curious how you do this: " get fit for a set of pre-owned sticks from their inventory. "

Do you tell the fitter up front that you want some pre-owned clubs instead of new ones?  The fitting experience I had, I was fit into the newest model but I didn't say anything up front.

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220 HZRDUS Smoke
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:callaway-small:  Apex 20 Catalyst 6.0
:callaway-small:  Apex 23 Catalyst 6.0
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:ping-small: Sigma G Kinloch C 
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

I bought my Ping ISI Becu in 1999, my first set with a zero swing. Went to Ping to get fitted and they told me to come back when I was better as the Becu could only be bent so many times and that is not much at all. I think having a "reasonable" swing (not great) is to your benefit first. 

Just curious how you do this: " get fit for a set of pre-owned sticks from their inventory. "

Do you tell the fitter up front that you want some pre-owned clubs instead of new ones? The fitting experience I had, I was fit into the newest model but I didn't say anything up front.

At 2nd swing they will fit you into anything, new or used.

• Like 1

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter