Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Official Forum Member Review - Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder!

Sschaffer24

Hey Everyone. My name is Jason. I am 30 years old and have been playing golf since I was 6. I currently live in Columbus, OH but growing up I moved around some. When I was 10-11 my family lived next to a PGA pro. Our houses backed up to a corn field so I spent many nights hitting shag golf balls into the field with our next door neighbor and his son getting free lessons. We moved a few other times after living there and my Dad was always a member of a country club. This meant I was able to have unlimited golf and range time especially during the summer. It also allowed me to get some lessons. I golfed all the way though high school competitively. I stopped once college hit. I was still able to play though the summers but the rest of the year was dedicated to school and bowling. Bowling was my main sport though those times.

I have always loved how hard the game is. I also love being able to just be outside in my surroundings with only myself, whoever I'm playing with, and a little white ball. I tend to turn my phone off when I play or keep it on silent. It's one of the only times I feel I can completely detach from my surroundings.

Fast forward about 10 years and I've played some summers more than others depending on what life hands me. I'm currently sitting at a 15 handicap though I haven't played enough for an official handicap this year. I would say that my strength is my short irons, short game, and putting. Every other club is a tossup depending on the day. My drive is the real wild card. Some days its straight all day and most others there's no rhyme or reason as to where it goes.

I recently bought some used SLDR irons that I hit pretty well. It replaced my Mizuno blades that I used to be good enough to hit well. The SLDR irons have allowed me to have more of a baby draw shot shape rather than a cut. This shape fits my eye better. As my playing time continues to drop, having irons that are more playable and I'm able to hit further has become more important. I love testing clubs and have built some of my own such as my driver (see signature).

I currently don't own a rangefinder or a GPS. In most cases I'm usually playing with someone who owns one and will borrow their rangefinder. If not, most courses I play still have yardages on sprinkler heads and I will use those numbers. Unfortunately my game isn't always good enough to need an exact yardage to a pin, more just to the center of the green. I will say that some courses sprinkler head yardages are way off though so having a rangefinder to use is becoming increasingly important for me.

One area I've also struggled in is distance control. I'm hoping that having the Precision Pro's help both on the range as well as on the course can help me dial in better numbers which is something I've not been able to do in the past! I'm excited to text my theory.

attachicon.gifPP1.jpg attachicon.gifPP2.jpg attachicon.gifPP3.jpg attachicon.gifPP4.jpg attachicon.gifPP5.jpg

Good initial write up, hope to read more on how well it works for you, and would you prefer a gps or rangefinder?

Sent from my sizzling Samsung Galaxy Note 7

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Nice reviews so far.

I am going to call some marketing shenanigans on yardage measurements down to 1/10 of a yard. Their own product info states that the laser is accurate +/- 1 yard. That means if you shoot a 100 yards, the laser may be +/- 1 yard and the actual distance could be 101 or 99 yards. In general this doesn't matter since I, at least, can't dial my distance into +/- 1 yard of accuracy.

But this means that reporting to the 1/10 of a yard is completely meaningless. The 1/10 yards reading is not significant because the error in the accuracy of the measurement is in terms of full yards.

It sounds like it is still a great laser, but it is claiming more than is possible given its own reported stats.

All the newer ones have that Bushnell and Leoupold do so it is part of the marketing game. Now I will agree the 1/10 of a yard does not make that difference but in some situations the 1/2 yard may make a difference on greens with a lot of undelation or a false front. But I will concur that you really have to know that course and the greens. Good example at my home course Indian Wells there are places on the green where one does not want to be and that half a yard can make a difference. I know the other day I shot a yardage and it came up like 137.5 my buddy and I agreed that pin was just on the spine or ridge of that green so that was one of the deals where you wanted to be under that hole. I took one less club where I had the up hill putt. Knowing the course well plays dead into overall course management and in this case the tenths does help in the half yard or so

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Id like to know how it does scopes out hazards.

I was shooting the water hazards on the stakes and flags no problem. I did not shoot straight to a trap and try that though. But you got the brain working I did write that down in my notebook to try if we finally get to play again

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Great intros.......Thanks Stu, Brad, Jason & George.  I really enjoyed reading your "Bios" and first impressions.  It is not easy writing a review of new golf equipment.  It is important to look at the "Value" of new equipment as there are so many choices.  A few years ago, a decent Laser was $400.  Now, you can get a serviceable laser for $150.

Hey Stu, I played both Indian Wells and Wachesaw East a few years ago.  I remember Indian Wells as an older course with many doglegs.  A Laser would really help there.  We stayed at Wachesaw Plantation Est and the course was in terrific shape. 

Brad, glad to see you are back on the Forum.  Whatever happened to your Bio Cell irons?

Jason & Greg, welcome and I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

Fozzy- Indian Wells does not have but two dog legs #2 which is a par 4 and # 13 which is a par 5 Everything else is basically straight away but you got to put it in a good spot and absolutely know those greens and where to put it and not to put it. LOl #2 is a short hole but that green is treachreous to putt you absolutely got to put it in the correct spot or risk a 3 putt or worse. 13 is short for a par 5 but that green is hard to hit and hold going for it in 2 and it is a absolute biotch to putt from the wrong spot. There are days on certain you do not go flag hunting on certain holes on that course. 

G

I remember #2 and I remember that their are a lot of hardwood trees on each side. A course with character

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

All the newer ones have that Bushnell and Leoupold do so it is part of the marketing game. Now I will agree the 1/10 of a yard does not make that difference but in some situations the 1/2 yard may make a difference on greens with a lot of undelation or a false front. But I will concur that you really have to know that course and the greens. Good example at my home course Indian Wells there are places on the green where one does not want to be and that half a yard can make a difference. I know the other day I shot a yardage and it came up like 137.5 my buddy and I agreed that pin was just on the spine or ridge of that green so that was one of the deals where you wanted to be under that hole. I took one less club where I had the up hill putt. Knowing the course well plays dead into overall course management and in this case the tenths does help in the half yard or so

Thanks STU. I agree that knowing down to the 1/2 yard would be useful up close to the green, but with an accuracy of +/- 1 yard (as stated by the manufacturer), a measurement of 137.5 can actually be either 138.5 or 136.5. So with a sweep of 2 yards total, that little 1/10 yard digit is just an illusion of precision. Just something I like to gripe about too!

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I remember #2 and I remember that their are a lot of hardwood trees on each side. A course with character

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is one big pine tree on the left and a lake now on the right is a bunch of hardwood trees. The "herd" may be thinned some after last week. Yep it has character- How long ago did you play it ? the reason I ask is because if you played it 12 years ago or more they did reverse the nines and # 11 is a slight dogleg and does have trees down both sides but it used to be #2.

G

seems to be getting pretty good reviews so far, just noticed you can buy this model, directly from them used (floor models) for only 100 bucks....seems like a solid deal

Capture.JPG

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Cant wait to hear MGS Brads review...... hahaha

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Id like to know how it does scopes out hazards.

To answer your question honestly I tried it last weekend ( I wrote it down in my notebook of things to check Thanks)  I could not get it per se to scope out like traps and such. I was playing my home course so I basically thought how would I do this if I was a tourist that had never played here? I used a landmark that it would pick up like a tree parallel to the hazard. Like I said before it will pick up hazard stakes and the checkered flag marking water hazards but I could not get it to pick up a trap.  I had practice on the parallel thing because they still have not put the flags back on the range after the storm . But I did it shooting trees and a sprinkler junction box that sits left on the range. Now my old Bushnell Pro 1600 will pick up a trap just takes it a while. Green side bunkers I do not worry about because I am going to attempt to carry it to the pin anyhow. I will shoot the 150 pole on a number of courses to plan my course of action on a tee shot. Most of the courses here have a 150 pole in the middle of the fairway. Really with that rangefinder or any other rangefinder you have to develop it as a tool for your paticular game so to speak. I am blessed to be pretty good at math so I do a lot of figures in my head quickly. Like I said before the Nexus is pretty decent for the purchase price

G

Hey team, my review is up if you're interested

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Very good review,  Glad the battery problem worked out for you......  see you in April, maybe Ko Olina ?

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

My Stage 2 is up everyone. Sorry for the lack of pictures. Its been a bit crazy lately :P

Hope everyone enjoys!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

To answer your question honestly I tried it last weekend ( I wrote it down in my notebook of things to check Thanks)  I could not get it per se to scope out like traps and such. I was playing my home course so I basically thought how would I do this if I was a tourist that had never played here? I used a landmark that it would pick up like a tree parallel to the hazard. Like I said before it will pick up hazard stakes and the checkered flag marking water hazards but I could not get it to pick up a trap.  I had practice on the parallel thing because they still have not put the flags back on the range after the storm . But I did it shooting trees and a sprinkler junction box that sits left on the range. Now my old Bushnell Pro 1600 will pick up a trap just takes it a while. Green side bunkers I do not worry about because I am going to attempt to carry it to the pin anyhow. I will shoot the 150 pole on a number of courses to plan my course of action on a tee shot. Most of the courses here have a 150 pole in the middle of the fairway. Really with that rangefinder or any other rangefinder you have to develop it as a tool for your paticular game so to speak. I am blessed to be pretty good at math so I do a lot of figures in my head quickly. Like I said before the Nexus is pretty decent for the purchase price

This is why I love this place. 

Honest review. It cant do a certain thing very well and we get to say it. Never stop being awesome fellow members!

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I am going to add to my review here seperate from my general so everyone can see it.

The more I use this Nexus the better I like it and I am getting better with it. Yesterday played a course I am familuar with but have not played a lot recently. It was dead on all day standing head to toe with the more expensive ones and the expensive GPS watches. As I use it more I find it easier and easier to use. 

G

I am going to add to my review here seperate from my general so everyone can see it.

The more I use this Nexus the better I like it and I am getting better with it. Yesterday played a course I am familuar with but have not played a lot recently. It was dead on all day standing head to toe with the more expensive ones and the expensive GPS watches. As I use it more I find it easier and easier to use. 

Thanks Stu...this is good to hear.  I'm getting ready to buy one mainly for use on the driving range, as I have the GPS Golf Band for on course use, but like having the accuracy of a Laser for the range.  And when winter begins, I'll be hitting from an our tents onto the range and there are no measurements from there. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thanks Stu...this is good to hear.  I'm getting ready to buy one mainly for use on the driving range, as I have the GPS Golf Band for on course use, but like having the accuracy of a Laser for the range.  And when winter begins, I'll be hitting from an our tents onto the range and there are no measurements from there. 

One of the guys in the regular 4 some has a GPS watch thing and also a laser range finder. The Nexus has held it's ground with both and he has an expensive laser too. I think it is the latest greatest Leuopold.

G

That's a strong statement! I game a Leupold and it's a beast. Happy to hear it's comparable!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

• 2 weeks later...

Liking what I hear about it more and more! Thanks Big Stuff for the added info.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder