Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How do you practice?

Liberty Ball Markers

Does anyone else like to practice on the course instead of on the range?

I really don't enjoy the range at all...

I practice alone, or sometimes with a friend, by playing a full round, but only hitting fades on every shot, only hitting draws, playing a whole round keeping the ball low, etc. We may always lay up, we may never lay up, etc.

I also bought a new 3-wood recently, and played a few rounds w/o a driver to get used to the new 3-wood.

I just feel like it means more to actually have a target in sight than to hit into the great wide open. It also helps me find new ways to play certain holes from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sounds like me!!  I am not a range rat.  Since I retired last year, I will play rounds with my buddies at the club or when my wife gets off work and always on weekends.  During the week, I will head out on the course to certain locations and play shots that I know I will be playing again some day.  I do spend quite a bit of time at our practice area putting, chipping and pitching, but I prefer to be out on the course.  Lots more options out there.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sounds like me!!  I am not a range rat.  Since I retired last year, I will play rounds with my buddies at the club or when my wife gets off work and always on weekends.  During the week, I will head out on the course to certain locations and play shots that I know I will be playing again some day.  I do spend quite a bit of time at our practice area putting, chipping and pitching, but I prefer to be out on the course.  Lots more options out there.

Well said Kenny which is par for the course for you.   I do the exact same thing you do. I never was a range rat  per say. I hate belting balls. The only time I really belt balls on the range is when I am dialing in a club or a set of clubs what ever the case may be. Yep belting a lot of balls on the range can be bad for us older guy's wore out bodies

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I used to be a range rat, now I go just for drills once a week to try a ingrain a feeling or become familiar with a new club.

80% of my practice is on the putting or short game area working on feel and touch or putting stroke. This is what saves me the most strokes.

I'm not a member anywhere at the moment otherwise I'd be out on the course practicing, dealing in yardages or just coming up with fun stuff to practice.

:titelist-small: 913 D2 9.5° Diamana BlueBoard S+ 62g

:callaway-small: Diablo Octane Tour 15° Fujikura Motore F3 S-60

:callaway-small: Big Bertha Hawk Eye VFT 5W Callaway RCH-96

:mizuno-small: MP-22 HMB 19° N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120

:mizuno-small:  MP-55 4-PW N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 54.8 DGS400

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 60.6 DGS400

:cameron-small:  Studio Style Newport 2.5

:titelist-small:  ProV1

I'm not much of a range guy either. Sadly, I just didn't practice all that much this year and my game/scores,hcp. reflect it.

But... I do prefer practicing out on the course. Used to do that a lot. Like Kenny mentioned I'd go out on various holes and practice some of the typical shots I face when game day arrives. I'll also test out some shots from trouble areas too. I'd spend some time around the greens working on various up and downs, etc. Putting. I'd use the range mostly for a warm-up.

My course loops back to the club house on the first 4 holes. Those holes being a par 5, 4, 3, 4. It's a good workout where a decent variety of shots can be encountered. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't have a membership anywhere that would allow me to just walk in and play a few holes, throw balls down and mess around, etc. As a result, my practice is done at the range... I need to get my butt off of the range more often and just go chip and putt. With my GIR being less than 50%, I could make huge strides in scoring if I just practiced my short game more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't do the range thing...

Maybe I'm lucky - my membership gives me unlimited access including cart to about 20 area courses for $99/month.

Some of those are 9 hole par 3 courses that are great for short game that you don't even need a tee time. My 'home course' is about 2 minutes from home, full 18 hole country club, but I only need a tee time on weekends. Seems silly to pay for a bucket of balls when I can play the course for nothing!

that sounds like the greatest deal of all time!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have found a place where I can get range time under lights and also access to a practice green where I can chip and putt. I put on noise cancelling headphones and just enjoy life.

Life before death

Strength before weakness

Journey before destination

99/month for unlimited play? What golf heaven is this?!?!

:taylormade-small: R11S 9.5° w/ stock Phenom 60g Shaft Stiff

:cleveland-small: Sport Series OS 15° w/ stock Shaft Regular

:callaway-small: XR Pro 3 hybrid (19°) w/ Project X 6.0 Graphite Shaft

:callaway-small: XR Pro 4 hybrid (22°) w/ Project X 6.0 Graphite Shaft 

:callaway-small: XR Pro 5-AW, KBS Tour 90 Stiff

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 54° and 58° Wedges

odyssey_zpsaeehke8n.jpg Odyssey Versa 7 34" w/ Superstroke Slim 3.0 Grip

I love the range. Maybe it's because my buddy owns one. Granted I haven't practiced near what I did last year. Some days though there's just nothing better than going out to the range and hitting balls for a few hours listening to some music to get your mind off things.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I think both types of practice are important.  If you're actively trying to change something in your swing, you need to be able to ignore the results of the shot while you ingrain the new physical movements, and that's only possible on the range.  If you're trying to change something, you need repetitions, and you don't get enough repetitions on the course to ingrain new mechanics.  Unless you're playing alone (and consequently not posting your score for handicap), you're not allowed to use alignment aides on the course.  There are lots of reasons that time on the range is valuable.  

On the other hand, there usually aren't uneven lies or obstacles on the range, so the only place you can really experience these kinds of shots is on the course.  And of course, playing golf, even with a practice mentality, is more fun than working on the range.

My personal approach, I play Saturday and Sunday, using the range only for a warm-up.  Maybe I'll hit a few chips, and putt for 5 minutes.  Tuesday evening 9-hole men's league, with a warm-up.  Friday evening is my practice time.  I get a beer to take to the range, and work on alignment, tempo, one or two simple key movements.  When the beer is gone, usually around 40 or 45 minutes later, I'm done practicing.  That's about the extent of my attention span, and practice without concentration is simply exercise, not productive practice.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I try to have 2 bud lights and hit some putt before I play. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf