TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft aligning, is it for me?

I'm about to pull the trigger on Recoil shafts for my irons and hybrids and was wonder whether I should order the shafts prepped, sent to me and buy a spine aligner and do it myself or just get Golfworks to put the shafts in for my sans alignment?

16.5 hdcp, about 76mph swing with a 7 iron...crippled 45 year old. :D

Thank you!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Getting them spine aligned is the best option. I've had my things pured (http://sstpure.com ) for the last 12+ years. If you'd like to have some further reading on spine aligning the link below is fantastic for info and there is also a private discussion group on Yahoo called Spinetalkers. Some of the best in clubmaking etc are there.

http://www.tutelman.com/golf/

This would be a great topic for MyGolfSpy to test.

How much difference does spine aligning, puring or random fitting of shafts make to the average golfer. A blind testing would be interesting.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

This would be a great topic for MyGolfSpy to test.

How much difference does spine aligning, puring or random fitting of shafts make to the average golfer. A blind testing would be interesting.

Totally agree!!!!

Golfshaftreviews.com, on literally every shaft I've ever researched, says that puring isn't necessary on current models today with the manufacturers being able to make these shafts to such tight tolerances. Then I read it is needed and people "can tell" a difference... This would be an EXCELLENT study for MGS to do!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I agree that it would be an interesting study.  I believe that shafts are so much better made these days that I don't think I could tell any difference.  Besides I need some excuse!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

Totally agree!!!!

Golfshaftreviews.com, on literally every shaft I've ever researched, says that puring isn't necessary on current models today with the manufacturers being able to make these shafts to such tight tolerances. Then I read it is needed and people "can tell" a difference... This would be an EXCELLENT study for MGS to do!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be a very compelling study and for whatever it's worth, I would predict any differences which may exist wouldn't be statistically significant.

Bottom line is production tolerances are much better than they used to be and while the theory surrounding spine/flo technology is sound, the question is whether or not it's something worth paying extra for...

I'm about to pull the trigger on Recoil shafts for my irons and hybrids and was wonder whether I should order the shafts prepped, sent to me and buy a spine aligner and do it myself or just get Golfworks to put the shafts in for my sans alignment?

Thank you!

The UST Recoils have a radial quality of around 99.7%, meaning alignment in any direction is a complete waste of time - for any level of golfer.

There are (or more accurately, were) shafts out there with enough asymmetry (out of round) or manufacturing anomalies (e.g. using welding for steel shafts) to make shaft alignment a good thing to do, but modern shaft production is now at a stage where this is uncommon. Even very cheap graphite shafts can now be made to a very high quality.

I'm glad you made the distinction of getting a set aligned for the greatest possible consistency through each club in the set, because getting a single shaft aligned (such as a wood, hybrid or similar) makes about as much sense as getting your spikes aligned with your hair to give straighter shots. FLO (flat line oscillation) is a quality where a shaft vibrates in a single plane when deflected, but how this interprets to an advantage when the ball is over 150 yards away from impact is still a mystery. 

Set alignment = OK if necessary  - single shaft alignment = well, some people believe in feng shui too...

This is a very hotly debated topic, for every article that shows proof one way you can find another showing proof the other way.

FWIW here is a link to a "pro" PUREing test from a site I like.

http://pluggedingolf.com/does-pureing-a-shaft-improve-performance-golf-myths-unplugged/

All that being said I've never had a set PURE'd or flo'd or spine'd or anything and I've never felt I left something on the table.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Thanks for the insight/comments. I think I'll just be sending the heads to Golfworks and getting them to install them.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

My AeroTech shafts were all aligned when my clubs were assembled. Can I tell a difference? I don't know. I suppose I'd have to have the shafts on my clubs pulled and reset non-aligned to see if there was a difference.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Send them to me...I'll install them for less and save you some cash...

Where are you at?

In the bag:

Bag: 

Thank you!

Interested in reading any reviews on spine alignment and if it justifies the cost to do so

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I had my shafts all PURE'd in my new clubs, honestly all of the logos on my irons are in the identical position, so they obviously were manufactured really well, but my woods/Nippon wedge shafts are all in different positions, so there was some variance. The article Hcky linked to is pretty informative and worth a read. I don't know if you can test it without being very scientific, but when you see the percentage of players on tour that have their shafts PURE'd (check sstpure.com for more information) that tells me there is a justifiable reason to have them aligned. 

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I believe pure'ing shafts was a bigger concern years ago. I have bought clubs online and taken them to my coach who checks everything and have never had an issue with newer shafts.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Definitely a bigger concern years ago due to consistency changes, the point I was making is that if that many tour pro's have it done, there has to be verifiable evidence that it should be done. It easily could be a placebo effect, but I can't see how it would ever be a bad thing. haha.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Definitely a bigger concern years ago due to consistency changes, the point I was making is that if that many tour pro's have it done, there has to be verifiable evidence that it should be done. It easily could be a placebo effect, but I can't see how it would ever be a bad thing. haha.

It's bad thing if you have to pay for it - most pros don't lol.

I'd certain like to see "verifiable" evidence in regards to performance and professional adoption of this technique - if you look at most tour vans for instance, the normal "go to" route for pros and club tweaks, nobody really has the facility to "pure" clubs and nobody really FLO's shafts before building them to order either. And these are the guys who can really tell the difference...

Maybe add it to the list of anecdotes who can provide "verifiable" evidence that face shaving, head freezing and copper bracelets work too.

But they do! I always shave my face and freeze my head before a round!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

But they do! I always shave my face and freeze my head before a round!

In the winter I never shave my face before a round and my head doesn't freeze during a round, but my balls do!  Oh, and I really want to try the copper knee wraps that Brett Favre wears.  I don't think anything is going to help this winter!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Let me know how that works - I've got a bum knee (and a few other issues!)...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree that it would be an interesting study. I believe that shafts are so much better made these days that I don't think I could tell any difference. Besides I need some excuse!

Hey Kenny

I've been building clubs for awhile now. Even though they can make them the same every time, the spine is do dramatic when you feel them. I made a spine aligner years ago, when you feel it in your hands you won't believe how egg shaped the shafts are.

I think you should spine every shaft! It takes out all the guessing.

First time contributor, great topic!

Thanks for the opportunity

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I spined my driver shaft and it's made a huge difference. I feel more stable and that has aided in confidence for me. I can swing and not worry about the dreaded duck hook.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway 815 DBD Irons: New Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15's with KBS C-Taper Stiff Flex Shafts 21,25,29,33,37,41,45 Wedges: Ben Hogan TK with KBS Tour V Stiff Flex Shafts 52,56,60 Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

• 4 weeks later...

I really think this is a very interesting debate and should be a test. It may be magic, science or a placebo. I will tell you that after having my driver shaft pured I just got a new set of sticks and had the entire set pured. It cost me $108 total to have the KBS FLT shafts pured 3-PW. I took a chance. The specs are pretty interesting. Most shafts were improved by around 50%-72% for the oscillation. As for a previous post saying logo up and all the logos were in the same place, I believe they applied the stickers after the Pureing of the shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway 815 DBD Irons: New Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15's with KBS C-Taper Stiff Flex Shafts 21,25,29,33,37,41,45 Wedges: Ben Hogan TK with KBS Tour V Stiff Flex Shafts 52,56,60 Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Looks like the normal SST blurb with no real comparative data. The point is, if you added up the money won with players who didn't pure their clubs, it would be more than 10 times that figure quoted by SST.

It is also worth noting that the professional players alleged to adopt this process for their clubs account for less than 0.0025% of the global golfing population - and less than that percentage of all the prize money ever won.

Amazing what you can do with a bit of statistics. 

Well it's all relative I guess. If you are clever like SST, you can use vague claims such as "hundreds" or "dozens" or indeed "almost" and not have to quote a specific figure.

What is clear though is that if you take their "almost $2 billion" claim (that could mean as little $1.5 billion depending on your perspective) and marry it with their "more than 200 players" claim (201??) then technically, you could attain that figure in dollars without ever having made the top ten in any event. (since their performance claims began)

If you take the list of pros alleged to have had their clubs pured: http://sstpure.com/2015-pro-players/

you will also note that the players in the OWGR top 20 who didn't have their clubs associated with SST Pure, subsequently went on to win more prize money in 2016 than those who did....

....Like I said, you can probably use statistics to fit any argument, but there never has or ever will be any conclusive proof that alignment to any degree claimed by SST Pure is of any benefit to the average golfer - because to use their own stats, there ain't any advantage to the professional ranks either lol.

But if you believe there is an advantage, who am I to say what to spend your money on? *cough* lessons *cough*

Archived