MattF

Shaft aligning, is it for me?

I'm about to pull the trigger on Recoil shafts for my irons and hybrids and was wonder whether I should order the shafts prepped, sent to me and buy a spine aligner and do it myself or just get Golfworks to put the shafts in for my sans alignment?

16.5 hdcp, about 76mph swing with a 7 iron...crippled 45 year old. :D

Thank you!

Getting them spine aligned is the best option. I've had my things pured (http://sstpure.com ) for the last 12+ years. If you'd like to have some further reading on spine aligning the link below is fantastic for info and there is also a private discussion group on Yahoo called Spinetalkers. Some of the best in clubmaking etc are there.

http://www.tutelman.com/golf/

• Like 1

This would be a great topic for MyGolfSpy to test.

How much difference does spine aligning, puring or random fitting of shafts make to the average golfer. A blind testing would be interesting.

• Like 3

This would be a great topic for MyGolfSpy to test.

How much difference does spine aligning, puring or random fitting of shafts make to the average golfer. A blind testing would be interesting.

Totally agree!!!!

Golfshaftreviews.com, on literally every shaft I've ever researched, says that puring isn't necessary on current models today with the manufacturers being able to make these shafts to such tight tolerances. Then I read it is needed and people "can tell" a difference... This would be an EXCELLENT study for MGS to do!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that it would be an interesting study.  I believe that shafts are so much better made these days that I don't think I could tell any difference.  Besides I need some excuse!

• Like 2

Totally agree!!!!

Golfshaftreviews.com, on literally every shaft I've ever researched, says that puring isn't necessary on current models today with the manufacturers being able to make these shafts to such tight tolerances. Then I read it is needed and people "can tell" a difference... This would be an EXCELLENT study for MGS to do!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be a very compelling study and for whatever it's worth, I would predict any differences which may exist wouldn't be statistically significant.

Bottom line is production tolerances are much better than they used to be and while the theory surrounding spine/flo technology is sound, the question is whether or not it's something worth paying extra for...

• Like 3

I'm about to pull the trigger on Recoil shafts for my irons and hybrids and was wonder whether I should order the shafts prepped, sent to me and buy a spine aligner and do it myself or just get Golfworks to put the shafts in for my sans alignment?

Thank you!

The UST Recoils have a radial quality of around 99.7%, meaning alignment in any direction is a complete waste of time - for any level of golfer.

There are (or more accurately, were) shafts out there with enough asymmetry (out of round) or manufacturing anomalies (e.g. using welding for steel shafts) to make shaft alignment a good thing to do, but modern shaft production is now at a stage where this is uncommon. Even very cheap graphite shafts can now be made to a very high quality.

I'm glad you made the distinction of getting a set aligned for the greatest possible consistency through each club in the set, because getting a single shaft aligned (such as a wood, hybrid or similar) makes about as much sense as getting your spikes aligned with your hair to give straighter shots. FLO (flat line oscillation) is a quality where a shaft vibrates in a single plane when deflected, but how this interprets to an advantage when the ball is over 150 yards away from impact is still a mystery. 

Set alignment = OK if necessary  - single shaft alignment = well, some people believe in feng shui too...

• Like 6

This is a very hotly debated topic, for every article that shows proof one way you can find another showing proof the other way.

FWIW here is a link to a "pro" PUREing test from a site I like.

http://pluggedingolf.com/does-pureing-a-shaft-improve-performance-golf-myths-unplugged/

All that being said I've never had a set PURE'd or flo'd or spine'd or anything and I've never felt I left something on the table.

• Like 3

Thanks for the insight/comments. I think I'll just be sending the heads to Golfworks and getting them to install them.

My AeroTech shafts were all aligned when my clubs were assembled. Can I tell a difference? I don't know. I suppose I'd have to have the shafts on my clubs pulled and reset non-aligned to see if there was a difference.

Thanks for the insight/comments. I think I'll just be sending the heads to Golfworks and getting them to install them.

Send them to me...I'll install them for less and save you some cash...

Send them to me...I'll install them for less and save you some cash...

Where are you at?

Thank you!

Interested in reading any reviews on spine alignment and if it justifies the cost to do so

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I had my shafts all PURE'd in my new clubs, honestly all of the logos on my irons are in the identical position, so they obviously were manufactured really well, but my woods/Nippon wedge shafts are all in different positions, so there was some variance. The article Hcky linked to is pretty informative and worth a read. I don't know if you can test it without being very scientific, but when you see the percentage of players on tour that have their shafts PURE'd (check sstpure.com for more information) that tells me there is a justifiable reason to have them aligned. 

• Like 1

I believe pure'ing shafts was a bigger concern years ago. I have bought clubs online and taken them to my coach who checks everything and have never had an issue with newer shafts.

Definitely a bigger concern years ago due to consistency changes, the point I was making is that if that many tour pro's have it done, there has to be verifiable evidence that it should be done. It easily could be a placebo effect, but I can't see how it would ever be a bad thing. haha.

Definitely a bigger concern years ago due to consistency changes, the point I was making is that if that many tour pro's have it done, there has to be verifiable evidence that it should be done. It easily could be a placebo effect, but I can't see how it would ever be a bad thing. haha.

It's bad thing if you have to pay for it - most pros don't lol.

I'd certain like to see "verifiable" evidence in regards to performance and professional adoption of this technique - if you look at most tour vans for instance, the normal "go to" route for pros and club tweaks, nobody really has the facility to "pure" clubs and nobody really FLO's shafts before building them to order either. And these are the guys who can really tell the difference...

Maybe add it to the list of anecdotes who can provide "verifiable" evidence that face shaving, head freezing and copper bracelets work too.

• Like 1

But they do! I always shave my face and freeze my head before a round!

In the winter I never shave my face before a round and my head doesn't freeze during a round, but my balls do!  Oh, and I really want to try the copper knee wraps that Brett Favre wears.  I don't think anything is going to help this winter!

Let me know how that works - I've got a bum knee (and a few other issues!)...