MattF

Shaft aligning, is it for me?

I agree that it would be an interesting study. I believe that shafts are so much better made these days that I don't think I could tell any difference. Besides I need some excuse!

Hey Kenny

I've been building clubs for awhile now. Even though they can make them the same every time, the spine is do dramatic when you feel them. I made a spine aligner years ago, when you feel it in your hands you won't believe how egg shaped the shafts are.

I think you should spine every shaft! It takes out all the guessing.

First time contributor, great topic!

Thanks for the opportunity

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I spined my driver shaft and it's made a huge difference. I feel more stable and that has aided in confidence for me. I can swing and not worry about the dreaded duck hook.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

+1 on the comments above. I have a backup set with NS Pro Modus shafts in them and the clubs were pured. Don't notice a huge difference between pured/not pured.

I really think this is a very interesting debate and should be a test. It may be magic, science or a placebo. I will tell you that after having my driver shaft pured I just got a new set of sticks and had the entire set pured. It cost me $108 total to have the KBS FLT shafts pured 3-PW. I took a chance. The specs are pretty interesting. Most shafts were improved by around 50%-72% for the oscillation. As for a previous post saying logo up and all the logos were in the same place, I believe they applied the stickers after the Pureing of the shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Looks like the normal SST blurb with no real comparative data. The point is, if you added up the money won with players who didn't pure their clubs, it would be more than 10 times that figure quoted by SST.

It is also worth noting that the professional players alleged to adopt this process for their clubs account for less than 0.0025% of the global golfing population - and less than that percentage of all the prize money ever won.

Amazing what you can do with a bit of statistics. 

• Like 1

I would think it is safe to say, they do have the relevant stats if not; that is why there are lawyers around :) If you can get your hands on a copy of the Darrel Survey I would imagine all the stats would be there too.

Well it's all relative I guess. If you are clever like SST, you can use vague claims such as "hundreds" or "dozens" or indeed "almost" and not have to quote a specific figure.

What is clear though is that if you take their "almost $2 billion" claim (that could mean as little $1.5 billion depending on your perspective) and marry it with their "more than 200 players" claim (201??) then technically, you could attain that figure in dollars without ever having made the top ten in any event. (since their performance claims began)

If you take the list of pros alleged to have had their clubs pured: http://sstpure.com/2015-pro-players/

you will also note that the players in the OWGR top 20 who didn't have their clubs associated with SST Pure, subsequently went on to win more prize money in 2016 than those who did....

....Like I said, you can probably use statistics to fit any argument, but there never has or ever will be any conclusive proof that alignment to any degree claimed by SST Pure is of any benefit to the average golfer - because to use their own stats, there ain't any advantage to the professional ranks either lol.

But if you believe there is an advantage, who am I to say what to spend your money on? *cough* lessons *cough*

Company that pures and spines shafts argues puring and spining shafts helps performance.

News at 11

• Like 2

I paid $15 a club to get my irons pured, played them that way for a while till the logos being in odd positions started to annoy me.

So I pulled the shafts, out all the logos the same way, and played them like that for another 6 months on course and in my hitting studio. What I learned was I 100% couldn't tell the difference OR see any change on the launch monitor.

I'm sure everyone's experience will differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on your suggestion on taking lessons. You are correct; everyone can benefit from them. Other than being hurt a few times I usually take lessons in the winter since when I took up golf in 1999. Been very busy the last few years but if I do have the chance I end up playing right around a 9 or 10 cap. Hoping if time permits to get lower. Thanks again for the suggestion.

I know for a fact Kuchar used SST at least once. Watched his shafts get pured.

Like most things in golf equipment it comes down to money.  Personally I don't spine or flo my shafts.  On any given swing the strike on the ball is going to vary by more than the tolerance gained from SST.  So for me I don't feel that paying $15 a club is worth it for my game.  Now if it was free I would absolutely do it.  It can't hurt right? But I'm not paying for it.

I do believe in the science behind the SST PURE system, I just don't think it matters for my game.  If spending $15 a club to have it done gives you piece of mind and confidence though, that's a relatively small price to pay.

Just to clear things up - I was not meaning to sound rude or facetious in saying take lessons to improve your golf (although it is a good idea lol).

I think by the gist of my posts, you can probably tell that the claims of certain companies that a proprietary form of shaft aligning can transform your game don't sit well with my opinion and I believe they are completely exaggerated and misleading.

Anyone spending a lot of money on this anecdotal equipment tweak would be well advised to take any performance claim with a healthy pinch of salt - there are certainly many other claims to the contrary from other well respected sources and club builders. 

With that in mind, I will leave the topic open for individual debate and for the time being, you can clearly see which the side of the fence I reside. But don't just take my word for it - here's a list a major winners who don't use......

Isn't this more of a conversation around the idea of paying for confidence?

I am fortunate enough to have my shafts SST Pure'd. It was included in my purchase at Modern Golf and honestly was a no-brainer for me, because it was free.

What is ironic though is that every single Fujikura MCI Iron shaft I have is in the exact same position throughout my bag. They are all pure'd and all facing the exact same way. That shows the model of consistency and the tolerances that exist in graphite shaft manufacturing these days.

In my wedges and woods though, the graphics are all over the place though. It's the same as purchasing an extended warranty on your vehicle. it gives you peace of mind that each club is built to the most precise and exacting specs that are out there. Can that be scientifically quantified how the difference in perception makes you play? I don't think so.

I think knowing my clubs are custom fit, pure'd, and built as precisely as they are lets me play golf with a different attitude than if the standards weren't so high.

• Like 1

Isn't this more of a conversation around the idea of paying for confidence?

I am fortunate enough to have my shafts SST Pure'd. It was included in my purchase at Modern Golf and honestly was a no-brainer for me, because it was free.

What is ironic though is that every single Fujikura MCI Iron shaft I have is in the exact same position throughout my bag. They are all pure'd and all facing the exact same way. That shows the model of consistency and the tolerances that exist in graphite shaft manufacturing these days.

In my wedges and woods though, the graphics are all over the place though. It's the same as purchasing an extended warranty on your vehicle. it gives you peace of mind that each club is built to the most precise and exacting specs that are out there. Can that be scientifically quantified how the difference in perception makes you play? I don't think so.

I think knowing my clubs are custom fit, pure'd, and built as precisely as they are lets me play golf with a different attitude than if the standards weren't so high.

Just don't adjust your driver :)

I can adjust it anywhere in three of the settings on my sleeve and it won't mess with the Pure'ing. Already had that conversation! Haha.

Cool thing is if I would need to change to a setting outside of where it is, Modern Golf is willing to pay for return shipping and redo the process for me complimentary. Which is pretty cool.

My question is this: adjustable hosels, the spine will be all over the place as one changes the orientation of the shaft for fade/draw/loft, correct?

If so, why do it with a driver shaft, or any other one that will be rotated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk