Shaft aligning, is it for me?

Our Sponsors

My question is this: adjustable hosels, the spine will be all over the place as one changes the orientation of the shaft for fade/draw/loft, correct?

If so, why do it with a driver shaft, or any other one that will be rotated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you're fit for a driver and shaft, would you really be messing with the settings afterwards?

You're exactly right, it'd be a waste of money if you do play with the settings after having your shaft spined

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The UST Recoils have a radial quality of around 99.7%, meaning alignment in any direction is a complete waste of time - for any level of golfer. There are (or more accurately, were) shafts out there

... I will add two things to this discussion. First, steel shafts were notoriously out of round. I had some dynamic gold shafts that bowed so much they could not roll on a concrete floor unless really

Could be a very compelling study and for whatever it's worth, I would predict any differences which may exist wouldn't be statistically significant.   Bottom line is production tolerances are much b

Posted Images

So according to Modern Golf (this may be specific to the 917D3, not sure) I can adjust my driver in one of the four settings as long as I don't change the number. So for example I have mine set to D1 right now. As long as I operate within A1/B1/C1/D1 it won't effect the spine of the shaft. If I would leave that setup, it will effect it and that is where the offer to pure the shaft for me again would come in.

Here is the SureFit chart for reference.

DY34Url.jpg

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

People I really trust since I know them are True Spec and Modern Golf. Their business ethics are beyond reproach and would not do it for money alone. Hoyt is well connected on the Tour scene and does plenty of Tour players, Justin Rose and Gary Woodland (that I know of) and a bunch of LPGA girls and then top college players and then people like me, just out for fun. Like others have mentioned (as I have no axe to grind here) whatever makes you think you've covered all the bases off, then I think that is great. For me, it all goes back to having my things dialed in as much as possible for me and I think the puring process is a part of it. 

Years ago the owner of SST (Dick Weiss) sent me their hat to wear. Funny thing I got stopped by a Police Officer as he only saw the SST Pure and not the rest. He thought I was promoting something else :)

Pure Hat.jpg

• Like 1

I would second trusting Modern Golf.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Well if you're fit for a driver and shaft, would you really be messing with the settings afterwards?

You're exactly right, it'd be a waste of money if you do play with the settings after having your shaft spined

In thinking back to my ECPC "fitting", yeah, I'd definitely be messing with the shaft!

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Even after a fitting that was professionally done and provided proof that a specific setting is the optimal choice for you?

That idea was always intriguing to me...

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

In thinking back to my ECPC "fitting", yeah, I'd definitely be messing with the shaft!

That wasn't a fitting.
  • Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1

That wasn't a fitting.

You and I know that.

Fwy: 

Even after a fitting that was professionally done and provided proof that a specific setting is the optimal choice for you?

See above. ^^^

Fwy: 

There's a whole thread of answers, I'm sure, for what constitutes a TRUE fitting, so I'll keep this short: many demo days, brick and mortar stores, and OEM locations say they do "fittings"... Most I've gone to aren't TRUE fittings where one wouldn't need to touch their driver settings. That's why I asked the question about "puring" and making adjustments. By the way, Titleist is the only company who has done a true fitting at a demo day that I've participated in, where the shaft and all adjustments were completely done and I wouldn't have to mess with everything, but alas, this is for another thread.

• Like 1

Fwy: 

Ahhh!

You're talking about one of THOSE fittings. I know exactly what you mean and have been through a few myself.

I supposedly got crazy low numbers from an M1 combo fitting at a demo day. When I was at modern I tried to recreate that performance with the combo and couldn't come close. Not sure which was right or wrong, but it truly is amazing how much your expectations have to shift based on where you go/who you end up with. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw.

I've had fittings at golf Galaxy (both Edel fittings) and they are some of the best fittings I've ever experienced. I also had another fitting at golf Galaxy which led to me walking out with stock Nike equipment with no data to back up the performance and no help whatsoever from the fitter. Worst experience I've had!

• Like 2

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

• 2 weeks later...

... I will add two things to this discussion. First, steel shafts were notoriously out of round. I had some dynamic gold shafts that bowed so much they could not roll on a concrete floor unless really pushed. There was an absolute need for puring imo so your set could have some consistency. Modern high end steel shafts are produced at a much tighter tolerance and I am not sure how much Puring will help. I have played granite in my irons for well over 10 years so I don't have a definitive position on current steel iron shafts.

... Secondly and most importantly, I spent some time with the VP of Engineering that developed the original NV and most of the other Aldila shafts and he says there is zero need for puring or floing wood shafts OR graphite iron shafts. In high speed photography, the very first pass of a shaft with a laser is always perfectly straight. Subsequent passes of poor quality shafts will begin to wobble and some very badly, but of course the ball is long gone after that very first pass so that is all that matters as far as performance is concerned. Quality is a different subject. But most modern graphite shafts are so close to perfectly round over their entire circumference is is useless to align them. After checking the flo on the Extreme NV I was playing at the time and having it straight line in every alignment as well as having virtually no spine, I have not fooled around with aligning any shaft since. 

... All that said, if I could get my steel iron shafts pure for free? Sure why not, but I wouldn't pay for it. But I would pass on aligning graphite shafts with logo's all over the place when it makes no difference according to one of the foremost experts in shaft design. 

• Like 5

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

All shaft manufacturers, graphite especially, do a form of spine/flo. They do it to orient the graphics on the shaft. Check the butt of any new uncut graphite shaft. There will be a mark from the process, whether a cut notch or a grease pencil marking. Graphics will be oriented based upon that marking and how they choose to mark them

• Like 1

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.