Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hitting the range, and determining distance

fiorenini

So my issue is that when I get to the range, i can tell whether i hit the area near the markers, but lose the ability to determine yardage when I am between markers or over 150 yards. The translation is that when I go to play, I honestly do not have an exact yardage for certain clubs as I am unable to determine yardage. 

If anyone of you have any suggestions, please share them because my rounds become very frustrating when I am unsure of specific yardage.

Thank you in advance,

Frank

Since individuals have different swing speeds and different level of play, I would seek out a golf range or place that has a trackman to gage how far you hit each club. If someone you know that has a laser gps you could try that route. Write down what your distances distance for your higher clubs up to your 150 yard club and you can try to figure out that way too. Below is a chart that shows short, mid, and long hitter yardages. If you're going to range, try to find a range that you hit off of grass too.

1475442607993.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Sadly very few ranges are good for gauging the actual distance that you hit the ball. The best option is to get something like game golf that will track your distances with each club. You will have a good idea of how far you hit each club after 4 or 5 rounds.

I'm not too keen on trackman indoors because it's artificial

But a GPS and a few balls on the course when it's empty can go a long way in helping you determine average distances with clubs. You will also need to learn both carry and carry plus roll distances with your clubs. For example I can hit 5 wood 200 but only 185 of that is carry so I have to factor that in if there is something between me and my target.

I hope that helps.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I had never heard of trackman, I need to look into that. I do know that I hit my 7 iron right at 170, so i have been assuming 10 yards per club, so i just grab the 8 for 160, 9 for 150 ans so on. I need to look into the trackman and/or a laser GPS.

thanks 

frank

I agree the range is a terrible place to gap your clubs.  You need to go out to an empty course with a laser or GPS and just drop a few balls at different yardages and see what happens.  

I would think after playing a few rounds hitting clubs in from different yardages you would also have a decent idea of how far you hit each club.  

Another option is to go out to an empty field and hit 5-10 balls with a club.  Then go find the middle of the grouping and shoot back to where you hit from with a laser.  Just leave your bag from where you hit and shoot that.

And while indoors with a trackman or other decent launch monitor might not be the best route, it should give a fairly decent starting point for judging your distances on the course.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I agree the range is a terrible place to gap your clubs.  You need to go out to an empty course with a laser or GPS and just drop a few balls at different yardages and see what happens.  

I would think after playing a few rounds hitting clubs in from different yardages you would also have a decent idea of how far you hit each club.  

Another option is to go out to an empty field and hit 5-10 balls with a club.  Then go find the middle of the grouping and shoot back to where you hit from with a laser.  Just leave your bag from where you hit and shoot that.

And while indoors with a trackman or other decent launch monitor might not be the best route, it should give a fairly decent starting point for judging your distances on the course.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

This is exactly what I do every time I get a new club.  There are times at my course when there are very few people playing and we have a 600 yard par 5.  When I try a new driver, I hit multiple balls off the tee by the ball washer, drive to balls and use my laser on the ball washer for each ball.  When I hit irons and FW/Hybrids, I go to my favorite spot in the fairway to hit balls, I will use GPS only because the grouping is tighter than with the driver.  It's always best to hit off the same turf as you are used to playing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Frank - I'd caution that a 10 yard gap is not enough for someone who hits 7 iron 170.  You may wish to go to 170 from the pin on a flat spot with little or no wind and hit 5 balls - perhaps you will discover that the longest one goes 170 but center of the pattern is closer to 164 - that would be your 7 iron distance - then go to 150 and hit 8 from there - if the center is 152 (just past the pin) you're in business. 

I absolutely use the method that Hckymeyer and Kenny have described - I thought I was the only nut but I guess not.  An empty course and GPS or laser are very helpful tools.  There are some fine inexpensive GPS options.  I've been testing the Precision Pro GPS wrist band that retails for around $160.  It would be ideal for this sort of thing - I'm about to post my final review so there's a preview for you.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I do much the same as Rev, Kenny, Hcky. There's no need to buy a game golf device assuming you have a laser, gps or both on hand.

Where my GPS especially comes in handy is that I like to mark my position from the front of a green and then work backwards to various yardages. I can do this from anywhere on the course. For instance I can plop down 8-10 game balls on a par five fairway and hit a particular iron. Then walk to the shot pattern and let my GPS measure for me. Same for off the tee with my driver or fairway woods.

Lot's of ways to skin a cat. I find it fun to do occasionally. I also feel more confident the next time I play.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I do much the same as Rev, Kenny, Hcky. There's no need to buy a game golf device assuming you have a laser, gps or both on hand.

Where my GPS especially comes in handy is that I like to mark my position from the front of a green and then work backwards to various yardages. I can do this from anywhere on the course. For instance I can plop down 8-10 game balls on a par five fairway and hit a particular iron. Then walk to the shot pattern and let my GPS measure for me. Same for off the tee with my driver or fairway woods.

Lot's of ways to skin a cat. I find it fun to do occasionally. I also feel more confident the next time I play.

Sure there's a reason. Laziness. 

But in all reality the best idea is to get to the course hit multiple shots and judge that way. One word of caution. Make sure you do it multiple times, or slight winds/elevation changes could mess with your number. I've noticed a lot recently that my yardages are slightly off do to the changing of the wind direction.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: range balls do not fly the same way real balls do. Depending on quality they can be 0-30% shorter.

Unless you have a bag of balls you want to get rid off, go the options mentioned above.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Sure there's a reason. Laziness. 

But in all reality the best idea is to get to the course hit multiple shots and judge that way. One word of caution. Make sure you do it multiple times, or slight winds/elevation changes could mess with your number. I've noticed a lot recently that my yardages are slightly off do to the changing of the wind direction.

This is a good point.  I always do it on a calm day, but other factors should also be considered.  The days are getting cooler up here in the northwest.  It was 42* the other morning.  Temperature and humidity will have an impact on distance.  I should probably break out my Snell Get Sum ball for the cooler days, and do a check to see what my yardages are in the 40-50* range.  The last test I did, the temperature was in the 70-90* range.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of this topic while at the range yesterday. I spent a lot of time hitting 6 irons into the wind to a flag that was 156 away from me.

I normally carry my 6 iron 155 with some run out so that 162 is stock. I can push it to 165.

So into the wind 155 should have been ideal.

I was all over the place distance wise including a couple that just exploded past the flag by 15 plus yards.

Don't try to gauge your distances by how far you hit it on the range.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I like what Rev is going for here, I use the distances at the range as guide, meaning, if I have 135, I n is that is a pitching wedge for me, So some come up short, some go long, but what I really concentrate on is accuracy to the line, if I am short but on line it's good, if it's long and on line, it's also good, I can always tell if I hit it fat, so those don't count, but in general I am looking for my line to be correct, did I start the ball at the target I was aiming at, we had some new range balls mixed with old ones the other day, so I had many that went short and many that went long, but my lines were good, so I feel confident going out.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived