TESTERS WANTED! ×

Modern Golf Experience. Post One & Two.

Sschaffer24

moderngolf-eh.jpg

Modern Golf - Part One

One of my favorite things to do at various stages of my life has been to just sit back, relax and reflect on where life has taken me. It's an interesting idea. We are so focused on living our lives looking forward, planning the next move, or in the simplest context simply focusing on the here and now. But when we stop, reflect and truly look at ourselves for who we are, there are some questions you ask yourself. Such as:

What makes me who I am? 

Here's how this applies. A huge part of who I am is built around this sport, and really, this site. I found my career on the golf course. I've been a part of MyGolfSpy both as a member, reader and follower for so long that the mindset has literally burrowed into me. I live my life #datacritic.

Naturally my bucket list is inspired by this place, all of the things I've seen, read, thought about, tried and so on. The amount of influence this site and the people here have had on my life can't be overstated. Let's think about this in broader terms. I have a figurative roadmap for how to live my life that's at least 50% golf related. Most of that is from you guys and I won't get that time back. Talk about an effect.

If we don't stop and reflect every once in awhile we will never put the proper value on the things we love. This experience is a perfect example of that. Modern Golf never happens without MyGolfSpy and specifically GolfSpy MBP. 

I've kept you all waiting long enough. Here's the story... Inspired by MyGolfSpy.

I've had fittings before. I've had fittings at Golf Galaxy in Pittsburgh, more at Blair County Golf in Hollidaysburg, I've done Hoganfit, had wedge fittings, putter fittings, driver fittings... A lot of fittings. Some better than others, and yet every one of them has left a taste in my mouth, more of a question, can this be done better? 

See, I want a fitting to be like a science experiment. I need something that will eliminate any and all doubt from my mind. There should be variables, controls, and... data! I want the data to backup my decision and to let me decide what I prefer the look and feel of. As much as I loved my Hogan's I was never professionally fit for them. I used their program, liked them, gamed them for a year and was really a brand ambassador for them. But it was never perfect. 

I still couldn't shake this idea. There had to be something more... More precise than what I've experienced in the past.This is where Modern Golf comes in. The story goes like this. Years ago while browsing the forum I came across a thread. The place it focused on… Just looked like a mecca. I've dreamed, wished, planned and killed probably over 1,000 plans for visiting. It's always been about the money. Plus, it's in Canada. I didn't have a passport and really felt that going international for a set of clubs was a little… ridiculous?

Nonetheless, Modern Golf hit my bucket list. This year Becca and I celebrated five years together and we wanted to do something special. Her and I enjoy golfing together very much and this was a wonderful opportunity to cross something off the bucket list. After a few days of planning, it was official, Modern Golf was booked.

Fast forward three months and here we are. After travelling all morning Friday and enjoying the beautiful Piper's Heath Golf Club in the evening, I'm sitting in the parking lot of Modern Golf Saturday morning ten minutes before they open. After talking for a few minutes and a few deep breaths it's time for business. 

Here we go.

IMG_1088.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG
IMG_4920.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1112.JPG

Modern Golf has a process for their customers. Not only are they appointment only to create a more personal experience, they treat you like part of their family as soon as you walk through the door. It started with meeting Jessica at the front desk. Smiling and welcoming us to the store, she walks us back to meet the crew. Justin (my fitter), Mikey (club builder) and John (Becca's fitter) are all getting their morning started and happily introduce themselves to us. As we all start to talk, Justin gets to work with step one of the process. Modern Golf has broken the experience down into four key segments. They go as follows: the Blueprint, the Fitting, the Prescription and Fulfillment. The key to each of these is that they are executed with laser-like precision. Every detail is monitored, weighed and calculated. They're chasing something I've been looking for in a fitting for years... Perfection.

The Blueprint
Here's the idea. In order to accurately diagnose your needs they have to first see what you're working with coming through the door. The typical interview process with a fitting largely takes place here. What's beautiful is that it's done in such an unassuming and laid back manner, you're never on guard or over-analyze a response. It's all real and in a comfortable setting.

IMG_1111.JPG

One by one each club is measured, all digitally of course. Length, lie, loft, frequency, swing weight, grip size, etc. Each one is measured and entered into a spreadsheet. Justin makes some really interesting discoveries. My driver? It's a 9.5 degree head turned down to 8.6. It was digitally lofted at 10.5 degrees. My irons not only were inconsistent in length, the swingweight moved 3-4 points from club to club. Walking into this building I've always fought inconsistency and the huge variance in my specs went a long way in explaining why very early on. 

Having been there for less than an hour, I've already made some huge discoveries. He's done with the bag at this point, so we're ready for step two.

The Fitting
This one is pretty self explanatory, at least the theory. The practice is a whole lot different than what I'm used to as you're about to find out. Justin hands me my 30 degree Hogan and asks me to warm up. This is the closest to a 6 iron that I have in my set and he wants to establish a baseline to fit from. Needless to say, I shanked quite a few golf balls. Imagine a nervous golfer, low on confidence, trying to perform in a place they've dreamed about for years! Thirty minutes into my fitting, I'm still hitting the ball terribly. Justin never gets frustrated and every so often leaves the room to grab some clubheads/shafts for my fitting. 

Eventually, after a number of terrible shots in a row, he asks for my club and excuses himself. He comes back in with a roll of lead tape and puts four pieces on the bottom of the club. He hands it back to me and wow… What an immediate difference! Suddenly I could find the club face! My strike improved, I focused, put ten good swings on the ball and got my confidence back! Now we're in business.

Justin stops me and explains exactly where we stand. He points out that the C-Taper is basically the exact opposite shaft of what I need. I was stunned. I love the C-Taper, it felt so good to me! I was a little confused, but open minded.

IMG_4956.JPG

Let's stop and walk through this together. Right now is where the fitter becomes key. My numbers were showing a massively left club path with an open face at impact. To the untrained eye someone would assume that's an over the top action that causes my ball flight. Here's what Justin explained to me:

From the kick point of the C-Taper being so high in the handle, the only way for me to get the face on the ball, at the target, and deliver that on a consistent basis is to pull the shaft completely across my body. In other words, way left. On the other hand, with something where the kick point is at the tip of the shaft it would allow my body to have a more natural release and thus a straighter club path. This should equal more distance and a more consistent strike.

IMG_4930.JPG

I need to take a step back and explain one of the keys that Justin and I spoke about. When I first walked into the bay he explained to me that he can see all of the connections to be made from the ball data. What he can't know from the data is how something feels or how it looks to me. He explains that this is just as important as the data on the screen. We as golfers are fickle people and we have to have complete and total confidence in what we are gaming. This was crucial for me to keep in mind during my experience.

At no point was this a launch monitor data session. He used the data as leverage to make a point and a decision. My only job was to express my thoughts of the club put into my hands. That is an incredibly freeing idea because chasing numbers can be quite easy to do. 

Back to the story. 

At this point, I'm warmed up and ready to test some irons. He grabs multiple heads from companies such as Epon, Titleist, Callaway, PXG, Ping, Taylormade and so on. I have to give a disclaimer here. While I was trying to be open minded going into this fitting, I was secretly hoping to walk out with PXG. I just love the brand.

Basically the fitting works like this. Justin hands me a head and shaft combo, he asks me some questions such as How does it look? How does it feel? and so on as I'm hitting balls. If I don't like something he says good enough and immediately moves to the next thing.

What's amazing about the process is that everything is interchangeable. There are virtually no limitations. The system that they've developed is so well thought out that the weight and frequency of the exact shaft that you're hitting is measured. Once you decide on a combination, those measurements are used to build the set.

Throughout the course of the fitting I hit a few different heads and finally Justin tells me his goal. I need to get my ball speed to at least 100 MPH. If he can get me there, he's feeling good about our direction. After demoing a few heads he decides it's time to try the Apex CF16. First swing? 100 MPH Ball Speed. Second swing? 105 MPH ball speed. Now we're getting somewhere!

Have you guys noticed my distinct lack of shaft talk? Here's why. We're demoing graphite shafts this entire time! As soon as I'm warmed up, the first question he asks is “how open minded are you willing to be?” and begins to talk about the five graphite shafts he has hanging on the wall behind him. We spent a solid amount of time just discussing what he was about to put in my hands. Here was his take, and this left a very strong impression on me:

Graphite isn't just for seniors or people suffering from arthritis. Justin was adamant that the properties these shafts open up to manufacturers are extremely valuable to all golfers. His statement was that within the next five years or less, he expects to see more and more players making the move to graphite. That's a strong statement.

Traditionally speaking the issue with graphite shafts is the inability for the fitter/build shop to get the swing weight where it needs to be. That's a thing of the past with the new type of shafts coming to market and these issues are disappearing. Think about 20 years ago when drivers were all steel shafted. Does anyone see a wood out there without a graphite shaft anymore? Didn't think so. The same change is on the horizon for irons.

Honestly, I don't remember all of the shaft options that we tried. I know I tried Accra, Fujikura and Nippon. What felt amazing right from the start were the Fujikura MCI 80G Stiff shafts. We went from head to head and changed shafts out, but time and time again contact was much more consistent with this shaft. This part was quick and easy. Now that we have the shaft settled, it's time for the head. At this point I'm seeing by far the best performance from the Apex but we still haven't hit the PXG. I mention that to Justin and we swap heads to test it out.

He said something pretty interesting to me about PXG. They don't work for all golfers, but the golfers they do work for get stupid good numbers from them. He's extremely impressed with their launch conditions, distance and general ball flight tendencies. This is before my first swing.

Off we go, it's PXG time. The feel of these things are just…Incredible. It's unlike any iron I've ever felt before. Imagine a centered strike out of a butter soft blade and extrapolate that feeling over the entire face. You're getting close to PXG. They're not quite that good off the face, but they're close. Feel is only one element, however. I need good looks, great feel and more than anything distance. Here's what's interesting. Ball speed? 90-95 MPH. 

I wanted to love these. I hit double the shots with this head than anything else. Eventually I couldn't make my mind up so Justin suggest we take a break and come back to them later. I'll hit the Apex and PXG side by side with the Fujikura MCI and get things finalized. Justin did give me his professional opinion though, he would go Apex simply for the ball speed. I need distance over anything else and to walk away from ten yards is hard to do. 

Fast forward three hours and I'm back in the bay with these irons in my hands. I hit about 10 balls each to verify the data and it's exactly the same. Ten yards in favor of the Apex. I can't walk away from that.

We're in a groove now. I have my confidence back my swing is clicking and I'm hitting the ball well. We start the driver fitting with my Ping G30 LS Tec. My experience with this driver is pretty hit and miss. I love the forgiveness it offers and I very rarely miss a fairway with this driver, but it just lacks so much distance from the spin and launch conditions it generates. We go through an interesting series of events over the next 30-45 minutes. I'm hitting the ball well, it feels great off the face, my swing feels good, I really feel great at this point! 

IMG_4965.JPG

Justin on the other hand isn't so comfortable with how I'm hitting the ball. Here's the issue. Most of my numbers are good, I hit up on the ball, I have a mostly neutral path/club face, my spin is decent (it could come down though, but it's not a killer) I was just hitting the ball way too high! 20-23 degrees of launch with a height of around 120 feet is just not cutting it. Justin informs me that the average tour pro hits the driver around 90 feet high. Needless to say we have some work to do.

IMG_4966.JPG

He grabs a whole slew of heads and shafts for me to demo. There's Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, etc. and basically every shaft manufacturer and model you can think of. One by one he builds the clubs, we change settings, play with loft, shaft profiles, anything he could think of I tried. All of these changes are in the pursuit of getting my launch down. We're hunting for 17 degrees.

After some time making club changes he decides to give me a drill to help with my launch. Here's how it works: I take my setup, lift the club, close the face about thirty degrees, and then tilt my upper body back to make the club appear square. Next, I swing out and to the right as far as I can and just commit to releasing the club through the ball.

I get into position, tee a ball up and take a swing. Suddenly Justin bursts out laughing. He tells me to do the same exact thing again. I do, and he's laughing again. He's getting excited. My launch drops, spin comes down, angle of attack stays the same and we are in business.

IMG_4969.JPG
IMG_4972.JPG

Now we can dial this in! Finally we narrow the shaft options down. We're between two at this point. The HZRDUS Red and Yellow. It's at about this point that we are still searching for more. My launch has come down but it still isn't exactly where we want it. Justin asks to hold on and runs out of the bay. He comes back in, assembles a new driver and asks me to give it a swing. First swing? 17 degrees. Ten drives later, with the numbers staying rock solid I'm sold. The head? Titleist 915 D3 in 7.5 degrees of loft. The shaft? HZRDOUS Yellow. This thing is a beast!

During my test of the 915, Justin informs me that he recently was able to demo the Titleist 917D3. He had nothing but extremely glowing reviews on it. He recommends I go with that head. At this point I have a level of trust built in him that I take his advice. The 917D3 is the way I go.

After a quick break for lunch we get back together to finish the fitting. We're going to focus on the gaps between my five iron and driver. I have to say that going into this fitting this area of my bag was easily my weakest. The long game is where I play like a high handicap. If we can get a consistent yardage from this part of my bag I really could improve my game. I've never had someone take the time and really work through the head, shaft, length and feel options at the top of the bag the same way they would a driver or a set of irons. What I loved about Justin's approach is that we weren't looking for the longest club. It was about hitting a number. That's it. That may sound very basic but a true gap analysis in a fitting is a very uncommon experience (at least for me).

We start with hitting my current clubs. I hit my SLDR 3 wood and put three of my best swings of the day on it. Immediately Justin's eyes light up as he sees an opportunity. He grabs the XR16, Ping G and Titleist for me to demo. We also have a range of shaft options here just like the driver. We're looking for a number. 215. That's the number. I hit all of the woods and shaft combos and nothing comes close to the XR16 with the HZRDOUS Red shaft in it. The best part is I'm hitting my number on the nose and it's consistent.

We move immediately into the next gap. 190 yards is the number here. At first Justin grabs all different hybrid heads and shaft options for me to try. I line up, start to swing and I'm just getting nothing out of these. Time and again, the hybrids aren't going even as far as my 6 iron! My strikes weren't terrible, there is just something about my swing and hybrids that don't work.

So Justin has an idea. He grabs a 5 wood head and we start with the XR and HZRDOUS Red again since it worked so well for me in the 3 wood. A few swings later and we have our number and the club! There was something around a fifty yard gap difference between a hybrid and wood for me. This really demonstrated why we need to try all of the options, walking in the door I would have assumed a hybrid fills this slot.

We only have a few short steps left until we're done. Justin and I have a conversation about wedges and he tells me what I've known all along. These clubs are a confidence decision more than anything else. My Edel wedges that I have now are some of the best clubs I own. His only option to get me something new would be to literally recreate these from a Miura blank… No thanks. Now THAT would be expensive! We did have a conversation about the shafts however, and I need to lengthen them. He loves the Nippon Modus Pro 115 shafts and games them in his wedges. That's the direction I go.

The last phase of my fitting is the Quintic Ball Roll system. This system was pretty cool. It's elevated about four feet off the ground and the surface is completely level. It's roughly twenty feet long and has a control center for the fitter to use. To the right of the golfer there's a screen and multiple very bright LED lights illuminating the ground. I'm invited up and walked through how it works. 

According to Justin, this is like SAM putt lab just with absolute values. The difference is this system provides accurate and precise data instead of ranges. He considers this to be the most high end putter fitting system available on the market. The goal is to simply putt the ball from its alignment and into the hole on the other side. Justin has to take special care to line the ball up perfectly and invites me to take a stroke. I step up, hit the ball, and he starts laughing. He says “I would get fittings like these!” and steps onto the platform to explain the numbers. 

On the right of the screen there are three readings and on the left there are two. On the right you want the data to give a green light out of possible red, yellow or green (it gives data as well, the color symbolizes the data) and on the left you want green and yellow. My first stroke the numbers come out perfect. Justin looks at me and says “if you give me 3-4 more putts with the same exact readings I'm telling you to keep that putter and never worry about changing it.” Four putts later I walk off the platform hitting all five putts perfect. Edel hits it out of the park again and he recommends no changes.

The Prescription
The Driver: Titleist 917 D3 8.5 with HZRDOUS Yellow at 7.75 degrees of loft with Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

The Woods: Callaway XR16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

The Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW with Fujikura MCI 80G Stiff Shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

The Wedges: Edel Wedges in 50, 55, 60 and Driver/Digger bounce configuration. Nippon Modus Pro 115 Special Edition shafts with Black MicroPerf Best Grips. 

The Putter: Edel Williamette with S2 Hosel, 32” length and “Chef's Choice” design.

Fulfillment
I'm going to let these speak for themselves…

Build Shop.jpg
Build Shop 1.jpg
Build Shop 3.jpg
Build Shop 2.jpg
Build Shop 4.jpg
IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1231.JPG
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1235.JPG
IMG_1236.JPG
IMG_1237.JPG
IMG_1242.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1244.JPG
IMG_1247.JPG

P. S. I know some of the pictures are sideways... Sorry about that. Couldn't get them straight.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Modern Golf - Part Two

A lot to digest, huh? These fittings are really powerful experiences and what both Becca and myself found so eye opening is just how different, yet effective they can be for each individual.

I was very excited when I had the chance to step away from my fitting and watch Becca's. A number of you reading this may be wondering how this might play out for someone who is a novice and here's your answer.

John and Becca actually got started with her fitting while I still had a little time left in mine. Not very long into her hitting her irons, John comes hustling out of the bay and down to mine and says with excitement that she just added 30 yards to her irons! After my fitting ended I went and observed hers.

IMG_4922.JPG

John started her fitting in a very similar fashion to how Justin started mine. The focus was on feel and looks. There are some obvious differences in the numbers, but also some massive gains for her. The biggest difference was in his focus on how she can grow into her set. The driver that she goes with is geared towards now and the future based on the shaft they went with and the adjustability of the head. She should really be able to grow into this set.

Modern Golf has beautiful, spacious bays with seating for any observer to relax in. Sitting in one of their comfortable chairs (I'm about 600 golf balls deep at this point, so I'm exhausted) I watch Becca swing her driver. She's hitting the ball great, he's making her feel relaxed and just asking her questions as they go. After he sees the performance with her current driver he grabs some Callaway, Ping and Taylormade heads for her to check out and multiple shaft options. As soon as he sets up a club and gives it to her, he asks what she thinks of the feel. Is it too heavy? Too light? And so on.

IMG_1091.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG

Going into this she has absolutely no experience testing golf equipment. She obviously can provide feedback on something, but the ability to determine what works and doesn't work for her hasn't been ingrained yet. What I noticed while observing is just how quickly after she was handed a club that she could immediately tell if it would work or not. I was blown away by that. What made this really stand out is how specific she was. She had a totally different feel preference in her irons than her driver. Then again in her woods. We really are amazing creatures...

After crushing a good number of drives and considering what she likes the feel of, she eventually settles on a driver.

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

The Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5 with Accra FX 140 MZ and custom purple decals.

One of the best things that John did for Becca was in the interview he started with. One of her concerns that she shared with him is that she often feels confused on which clubs to use for different shots. She thinks they all run together and doesn't like that. He puts an emphasis on this with her through her entire fitting, just asking for a number and finding the best solution for that.

When they started with the irons she finds that she likes the feel of a lighter shaft the best. John informs us that Accra is one of the best companies for her needs because they offer extremely tight tolerances (especially at a light weight), customization and extreme value. She demos all kind of shafts but eventually lands on a set.

The Irons: Ping G Max 6, 8, PW and SW with Accra 50i M1 shafts and custom purple decals.

To finish the set John was looking to fill a gap between her 6 iron and driver. Similar to my fitting, he had her start by hitting hybrids. Now going into this Becca's bag consisted of four hybrids. On most holes, this is the club she is playing the most so it's a comfortable club for her. Like most new golfers she doesn't like her 3W and never hit it. So the hybrid was a great place to start.

What we found though, is that in the same way it showed up for me she was just not producing the desired numbers from them. She was barely carrying the hybrids as far as the 6 iron she hit earlier in the day. John can sense a challenge, but never changes his attitude.

After a number of swings with these, it's time to move on. The next step is a wood. John exits and grabs an XR16 and Ping Rhapsody 5W head and builds them for her. One swing later and we're back in business! She gains significant yardage almost immediately and it looks like we found the type of club we need!

She goes back and forth for a little bit between the two heads, but in opposition to her driver she prefers the heavier head weight of the XR16 over the Rhapsody. Since she did so well with the Accra shaft in the driver fitting, she keeps it simple and goes with the same option here.

The Woods: Callaway XR16 5W with Accra FX 140 M2 shafts with custom purple decals.

The last step for Becca is the putter fitting. They start on the putting green checking her alignment, speed and preferences. In comparison to the rest of her set, she ends up preferring a longer club here and goes with a 35” putter. She's naturally gifted at this part of the game and they spend a lot of time on basic setup and just making her comfortable. The process was very simple for her and she found what she liked very quickly. John confirmed the fit with checking her lie, loft, length and alignment and verifying that she felt comfortable with the setup. 

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

The Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX 1 35” with 69 degree lie angle, 3.5 degrees of loft and a purple Pure grip.

All in all her fitting only took roughly an hour and a half. This was an extremely positive experience for her since John was able to keep it light, entertaining and not too complicated. They also spent some time on other areas of the game not relative to a fitting. They spoke about developing a pre-shot routine, proper ball position and more. She ended up finding great solutions for her on the course and loves having only seven clubs in the bag. I sat down with her afterwards and wanted to get her opinion and perspective of the event. Here's what she had to say.

Q&A:

Shawn: What were your expectations going in?

Becca: I thought that it would be like a lesson. That they would see if there was anything I could fix,and also find clubs that fit me. I didn't have any expectations for that since I haven't done it before but I was open minded.

Shawn: All things considered, do you feel it was worth the investment?

Becca: Yes, Because I have never experienced anything like that before and it was a once in a lifetime thing. I am 100% confident that the clubs  fit me perfectly and I am really happy that they can customize them however I want. I know they will feel right to me and also have my personal touch.

Shawn: Were any of the results different than what you expected?

Becca: I didn't expect for them to cut my bag in half! I was happy though, because it was less confusing for me. I told John that I was confused since I felt that a lot of my old clubs overlapped and with my new ones it makes it easy for me to know exactly how far I'm going to hit my clubs.

Shawn: Did you feel your fitting was less thorough for you, from being a newer golfer?

Becca: I feel it was less thorough, but not lower quality. It was two completely different people. You know a lot about their job and I don't know anything. Plus, I'm a newer golfer and have only played one set of clubs before so I didn't have any existing bias. I do feel we covered everything in the right amount of time because I didn't have as many questions.

Shawn: How will this experience translate to your game?

Becca: I feel that I'm confident in my game now because I have the right clubs for me and I know how far I can hit them. I know if I don't perform that it's my swing and not the club.

Shawn: Who would you recommend visit Modern Golf?

Becca: I feel like if you've just been doing it less than a year it doesn't make sense because I do feel you need to have some experience, but anyone playing for longer than a year should definitely do it to make sure they're not being held back. A lot of the time it is the club and people don't realize that. It lets you skip trial and error and get what works for you.

Shawn: Anything you want to say to MyGolfSpy and Modern Golf?

Becca: I was so excited and felt so satisfied with the experience. I felt there was instant improvement and when I get on the course all of that confidence will make me much better!

IMG_1118.JPG

Thoughts:

How do I summarize an experience that has so many moving pieces? From beginning to end I found so many things to take home with me and cherish that I can't put words to them. What I can do though, is explain to each and every one of you why this experience was worth it. This wasn't just a fitting session. These clubs aren't the same as what I could buy anywhere else.

These are hand built, one by one. They will be CPM matched, have tolerances within .25 of a degree, all identically swing weighted, customized, stamped, PURE'd and verified at Modern Golf itself.

It goes further than clubs though. I learned so much about myself as a golfer. I know that I need to hit a fade, I found out just how important swing weight is and that optimal length doesn't come off a chart. We all react differently. We went over tee height, my driver motion and so much more! This experience rejuvenated my love for the game all over again and ignited a passion in Becca to play the sport to the best of her ability.

What I received for my time was an experience that I can never replace. Modern Golf and specifically Justin and John knocked it out of the park. They taught me a lesson and one I want to pass on to everyone here at MyGolfSpy.

As this thread was started and some time has went by, part of my original promise was to do a question and answer session with the fitters. Justin and I had a conversation that was very eye opening for me. I drew an immediate comparison to my day job in the car industry.

I take immense pride in being a total professional. I know my product, I handle myself correctly, I know how to work with a customer and provide the best experience that they could ask for. Here's the deal. If someone comes here to visit with us and to look at one of our products it is my job to control that situation from start to finish. A customer should never know more about the product, should never be able to control what direction we go in, how the process works or anything of that nature. In my professional element, I demand to be respected as the professional in the room.

How is that any different for a fitter? Walking into that building I felt that I was on a similar playing field to the people I was about to meet. Golf is my passion. I know the sport. I know the industry, the tendencies, and really some of the science that goes into it. But how could I ever truly expect to be more well equipped than someone who has spent their entire career learning the craft? I can't.

This was an enlightening realization. Here's what it showed me. Everybody is uniqueLet me expand. The only way to answer any of the questions that were asked is through a unique and intimate knowledge of the person who that decision is going to effect. Every answer is going to be different for each golfer because we all are different people. It's really a simple answer.

It's so difficult for us to accept though because as the consumer looking through the window we expect things to be clear cut. They're not. If I apply this lesson to my day job, I've seen this proven time and again. I don't expect any of you to be able to walk into this building and do my job. Nor should you be able to.

It made me realize I need to look at this sport through a different lense than I did walking through that door. I need to trust in the professional opinion of the people I work with and to give them the benefit of the doubt. I am going to approach learning about golf with an intense vigor that is guided by curiosity and curiosity only!

I hope this message is broadcast in the right light. The discussion that we have in this community is a beautiful thing. The learning, questions, perspective and so much more needs to continue to be a part of who we are. But I've learned that the information doesn't tell the whole story. We bring something else to the table when we go to get fit, and that's us. No one can ever tell you exactly what you need if they don't know you as a golfer. A fitters job is to connect the dots between the data and who you are. They need to be able to diagnose in just a few swings how small changes impact your natural ability to present speed to a golf ball.

How amazing is that?

Justin, John, Mikey and everyone at Modern Golf thank you again for the experience. This was the best golfing experience that Becca and I could have asked for.

IMG_1117.JPG

P. S. Any ladies out there, Mikey is single. Feel free to PM me for his number.  :D 

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

looks like a very cool experience.....do they basically call all brands and fit you for what works best?

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Awesome write up and awesome experience. I am truly jealous.

The graphite shaft commentary is truly interesting. It'll be interesting to see if his thoughts of it taking over the market some true. Your swing sounds a lot like mine too and I wonder how much I'd benefit as well.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Yeah they carry a pretty much endless selection of brands. There are japanese brands that they carry that we've never even heard of. So yeah, selection and options will never be an issue!

And severtheties, thanks man. It's seriously something worth doing if you're in the position to do so. The whole idea of just the accuracy of what they do, their process and philosophy just makes perfect sense. I couldn't imagine being fit or having a club built by a different company in the future. Their tolerances are just unreal. The accuracy with which they measure the specs and then build the products to just really build your confidence. What I love is just walking on the course and knowing the only thing that could possibly hold me back is me. Nothing else. That's really empowering.

And honestly the one message I REALLY want this forum to understand is that our swings don't need to be at a certain point to find this beneficial. Becca has had one lesson in her life (it was when she was brand new and honestly just focused on the basics) and has really been playing the sport for 18 months. She saw massive gains and benefit from visiting.

This type of fitting doesn't have a handicap requirement. The first point he made to me when I entered the bay (at it was backed up by the data) is that my swing is extremely consistent. And that's not exclusive to me. We all are consistent. We may be consistently wrong or out of whack in what we present, but as with the C Taper example that's where something that we can never interpret (I love the feel of the shaft, it produced a good looking flight to me, but the design of it caused me to manipulate numbers in a way to hit the ball that was really hindering my performance) and that's something that unless you see people like these guys, they're never going to be able to tell.

It just blew my mind. 

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Friday... You went poetic.

What does that mean?

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Shawn - We need to get Theoo and meet in Pittsburgh next spring for some golf.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I'm totally in my man! That would be a great time!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Shawn - We need to get Theoo and meet in Pittsburgh next spring for some golf.

I'd be down for that as well.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Let's do it guys! 

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Shawn,

What ball did they fit you into?

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

They used Pro V1's in the bays and those provided good numbers, but the suggestion that Justin gave me was to test the Bridgestone B330-RXS and Srizon Z Star/XV. He suggested I play nine holes with each and see which ball performs the best.

I had a lesson after I received my clubs and spoke with him about fitting me into a ball this winter on a launch monitor as a start and that's the game plan. Starting with those three options.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Let's do it guys!

For sure!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

They used Pro V1's in the bays and those provided good numbers, but the suggestion that Justin gave me was to test the Bridgestone B330-RXS and Srizon Z Star/XV. He suggested I play nine holes with each and see which ball performs the best.

I had a lesson after I received my clubs and spoke with him about fitting me into a ball this winter on a launch monitor as a start and that's the game plan. Starting with those three options.

Why did he steer you away from the Snell?

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

Can't believe I forgot to add this into the thread. I lost 4 MPH of ball speed using the Snell's.

Here's the story.

When I went into bay he asked me whether I wanted to use their Pro V's or my own golf balls. Since I was a Snell ball player, I said I'd use mine. I warmed up with them and got about halfway through my iron fitting hitting these balls. Justin must have caught this earlier though because about halfway through my iron fitting after I hit a ball that had a good smash factor and I was hitting the ball decent he just stopped me for a second and suggested I try a Titleist ball. I did, and my numbers jumped 4 MPH. I continued to hit 4-5 more shots and the additional ball speed was consistent.

He stopped me and we spoke about that and said that signals to him a dead golf ball. He said there was just something about the numbers that made him question that, and it showed on the performance throughout the fitting.

Later in the fitting I tried hitting the Snell a few more times and the ball speed dropped again. I couldn't figure it out, but that 4 MPH equals 12 yards of carry. Needless to say I'm using a different ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Can't believe I forgot to add this into the thread. I lost 4 MPH of ball speed using the Snell's.

Here's the story.

When I went into bay he asked me whether I wanted to use their Pro V's or my own golf balls. Since I was a Snell ball player, I said I'd use mine. I warmed up with them and got about halfway through my iron fitting hitting these balls. Justin must have caught this earlier though because about halfway through my iron fitting after I hit a ball that had a good smash factor and I was hitting the ball decent he just stopped me for a second and suggested I try a Titleist ball. I did, and my numbers jumped 4 MPH. I continued to hit 4-5 more shots and the additional ball speed was consistent.

He stopped me and we spoke about that and said that signals to him a dead golf ball. He said there was just something about the numbers that made him question that, and it showed on the performance throughout the fitting.

Later in the fitting I tried hitting the Snell a few more times and the ball speed dropped again. I couldn't figure it out, but that 4 MPH equals 12 yards of carry. Needless to say I'm using a different ball.

OMG! I play Snell MTB! Since he said it was a dead ball were the Snell balls new out of a sleeve or some shag balls you have played with??

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah I don't want this to be a big deal for the Snell's. Let me just say that this was just my experience with these balls, but it is a true experience that the data backs up.

The balls were brand new and just purchased 4-5 days before I left for Canada. It easily could have just been a bad batch, but I can't verify that either way so I've just decided to move on. Just realize it was my experience only and could have been an isolated incident. I honestly don't know. I know a lot of guys here play this ball so I don't want to start a scare, but if the Snell balls truly don't perform the same then I feel the members should know.

That being said in Golfspy MBP's initial review the Snell's produced higher ball speed numbers (very slightly so) than the Pro V1, so it could just be an isolated incident. It may not be though. I'm just not sure.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Yeah I don't want this to be a big deal for the Snell's. Let me just say that this was just my experience with these balls, but it is a true experience that the data backs up.

The balls were brand new and just purchased 4-5 days before I left for Canada. It easily could have just been a bad batch, but I can't verify that either way so I've just decided to move on. Just realize it was my experience only and could have been an isolated incident. I honestly don't know. I know a lot of guys here play this ball so I don't want to start a scare, but if the Snell balls truly don't perform the same then I feel the members should know.

That being said in Golfspy MBP's initial review the Snell's produced higher ball speed numbers (very slightly so) than the Pro V1, so it could just be an isolated incident. It may not be though. I'm just not sure.

Thanks and it's good info to know for guys who have switched to Snell, I'm going to see if I can get on a monitor and test if I can notice a difference between Snell and Titleist, I've had great success with the MTB's so I'm hoping it's I fluke!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I totally agree. The issue I'm going to have with the ball moving forward is my confidence in each ball in the dozen. I very well may have tested the 6 balls out of all 6 dozen that were dead, but I'll never know that if I buy them again in the future. That scares me when I struggle with distance to begin with and I'll never be able to track it.

It will be very interesting to see if anyone else can compare the Snell to another tour quality ball and see if there is a difference. This ball fitting thing is going to be an interesting experience for me over this winter. I hate testing all of these different options because they're easy to second guess, so I'm curious to see what ends up being the best for me on a launch monitor.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

That's very interesting to hear the difference between the Snell and Pro V. 4 mph with your irons is a lot to be giving up. I would like to think it was just a bad ball, I have tried Snell on course and they travel just as far as my Nike. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

• SPY VIP

It's either bad batch of balls or you just don't compress Snell balls the same as you do other brands. Looking at my numbers from the recent Nike ball testing they're right on par, and I'll say my Titleist numbers are right in line with those.

I wouldn't read too much into it, this is precisely why there's different brands of balls for different players.

post-872-0-15271700-1467737494_thumb.jpg

post-872-0-29852400-1467737507_thumb.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

It's either bad batch of balls or you just don't compress Snell balls the same as you do other brands. Looking at my numbers from the recent Nike ball testing they're right on par, and I'll say my Titleist numbers are right in line with those.

I wouldn't read too much into it, this is precisely why there's different brands of balls for different players.

post-872-0-15271700-1467737494_thumb.jpg

post-872-0-29852400-1467737507_thumb.jpg

That's what I was thinking too, with the slower ball speeds in the irons you may just not compress it enough.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Great point guys! That's the kind of information everyone in this forum needed to hear. And it drives home the point even further, we have to find the right products for us!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Also here is the drill I learned. Don't mind my dress for a shirt, it's a little too big for me now. Haha. It's rough, but it demonstrates the point and I tried to exaggerate it so it made sense!

https://youtu.be/7-HkkPdU3HE

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

This type of fitting doesn't have a handicap requirement. The first point he made to me when I entered the bay (at it was backed up by the data) is that my swing is extremely consistent. And that's not exclusive to me. We all are consistent. We may be consistently wrong or out of whack in what we present, but as with the C Taper example that's where something that we can never interpret (I love the feel of the shaft, it produced a good looking flight to me, but the design of it caused me to manipulate numbers in a way to hit the ball that was really hindering my performance) and that's something that unless you see people like these guys, they're never going to be able to tell.

It just blew my mind. 

A lot of articles I have read about these types of extensive custom fittings suggest that they benefit mid-high handicappers more so than low-scratch players. Better players have better swings and can usually adapt to poorly fit equipment and get by. Better players have a smaller gap to bridge with their equipment than higher handicappers.

Not a ton of pro fitters in Iowa so I will have to search a little more broadly.

Also, just to calm the waters. The Snell MTB flat out performs for me. I have not noticed any difference in performance on iron shots between ProV and MTB. I am super inconsistent with my driver (perhaps a fitting issue?  :lol:) so not a lot of great comparisons between them in the long game. I can hit the MTB a long way though. Tons of carry.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I agree and like I said I really think it was just an individual issue. Not sure what the issue was but it doesn't seem like anything that is a widespread problem or anything like that.

It just taught me it's time to revisit the drawing board on what ball I play!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I am fortunate enough to live within a 45 minute drive to Modern Golf in Mississauga (that's where I assume you went) and I have a co-worker who went for a fitting there in the summer. He said it was absolutely unbelievable. Not cheap though, they generally charge $400 for the fitting alone. But it is definitely a bucket list place for me as well, just have to convince the wife...

One of the coolest things Modern Golf does is they have a fitting van (similar to what you see on the PGA tour) and clubs around Southern Ontario can request them to show up for a day and do fittings for their members. Neat idea for those who don't want to make the drive. They also offer an (outdoor only) complete custom wedge fitting for $1000. Would love to see one of those. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I agree and like I said I really think it was just an individual issue. Not sure what the issue was but it doesn't seem like anything that is a widespread problem or anything like that.

It just taught me it's time to revisit the drawing board on what ball I play!

Take a sleeve of MTB and a sleeve of whatever ball you choose and head out onto the course.  Pick a club and hit the six balls.  Measure the distance of each, and repeat 5 times.  Drop out the obvious mishits.  The results might be interesting.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived