TESTERS WANTED! ×

Modern Golf Experience. Post One & Two.

Sschaffer24

I agree and like I said I really think it was just an individual issue. Not sure what the issue was but it doesn't seem like anything that is a widespread problem or anything like that.

It just taught me it's time to revisit the drawing board on what ball I play!

Does that mean we will soon be reading about your 'bucket list' ball fitting?  :D

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be more than happy to chronicle my ball fitting. Not a problem! I plan on working through it basically all winter long with my pro and just make it a part of my lessons. I'm hoping by next season I'll have it narrowed down.

And Kenny I would be happy to do that, only problem is I sold my stock of the MTB and I'm not sure if I'd want to purchase another dozen just to have a sleeve to test with... hmm...

And newballcoach that's awesome you live so close to them! I'm absolutely jealous of you. Yes I visited the one you're close to, and as I'm sure you can gather from my post it was a totally worthwhile investment.

We played Pipers Heath golf club when I visited Toronto and I know they're a course that has the fitting van! It was a really beautiful course!

Also I asked about the wedge fitting just out of curiosity and they said they actually don't offer it anymore. The ROI just wasn't there for them and it didn't make sense. You can still have a completely custom wedge milled for you out of a blank though.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Thanks Shawn, really enjoyed the read. I've been thinking about booking my daughter in at a similar place(though not quite as plush!) here in Aus. I may even sneak myself in for a driver fitting.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Did they offer any guarantees with the fittings if for some reason the clubs didn't perform the same in the real world?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Peaksy if you have something similar it's worth every penny. I totally would suggest a fitting experience to like this for anyone who is interested in improving their game.

I played 9 holes last night and shot a 42 with three bad holes (my chipping is a little rusty from having almost two months off...) But the extra distance/forgiveness is really paying off big time in these in only 27 holes played. and Maverick you're one lucky guy. They really are a top notch staff and place to visit and I'm jealous you're right in their back yard!

And Theoo that's a great question! They do offer a guarantee! There are complimentary lifetime loft and lie adjustments, and I was told by my fitter that if once I received the product there was any issue with something (shafts, feel, alignment, whatever) that they would find a suitable replacement for me free of charge. They're very good about providing service to the customer.

I'm waiting on the 917 head to get here and have been in contact with Justin concerning the PURE'ing/grip alignment on my shaft and he's been great about making sure it's perfect. Once I receive the head and get it setup if I have to change the settings for whatever reason they said I am able to send it back and have the tip reglued/PURE'd and so on free of charge.

Also to anyone else reading through this, if you have any questions for me about the process/my takeaways or anything like that please feel free to ask!

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

This sounds like an amazing experience. Hopefully I can do to this one day. Unfortunately, Ohio does not have anything close to this. The graphite shaft comment is interesting though. I have only had graphite shafts, but in older clubs. I currently have Taylormade Racs with graphite but they are probably 12 years old, and I am sure technology has improved with them. I was looking for new clubs to jump to steel, but might consider staying with graphite now.

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 Driver, RAC Irons, Rosa Putter, 3 Hybrid with Matrix shaft

:cleveland-small:    52 & 56 CG12 Wedges

Ben Hogan 58 wedge

:adams-small: 3, 5, and 9 woods with Aldila shafts

It truly was an incredible experience, and don't be afraid to look around you in different states. Depending on how far you're willing to travel there are other places out there that provide a similar service!

That being said, the graphite conversation was extremely interesting to me and honestly the performance that I gained from having these shafts in the bag is just awesome. I'm seeing the distance gains that I had in the bay on the course and the feel is just outstanding. I truly think that this conversation is going to be like the steel/graphite conversation that was had before the change in drivers and there will be a day in the not too distant future that a major part of the population are playing graphite in their irons. There are just so many possibilities with graphite compared to steel.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Shawn - what an amazing experience. Thanks for the write up. Does anyone know if there is any place close to the experience that Shawn received in the Southeastern US? I would love to do something like this, but can't afford too much travel.

:taylormade-small: R11S 9.5° w/ stock Phenom 60g Shaft Stiff

:cleveland-small: Sport Series OS 15° w/ stock Shaft Regular

:callaway-small: XR Pro 3 hybrid (19°) w/ Project X 6.0 Graphite Shaft

:callaway-small: XR Pro 4 hybrid (22°) w/ Project X 6.0 Graphite Shaft 

:callaway-small: XR Pro 5-AW, KBS Tour 90 Stiff

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 54° and 58° Wedges

odyssey_zpsaeehke8n.jpg Odyssey Versa 7 34" w/ Superstroke Slim 3.0 Grip

• SPY VIP

Shawn - what an amazing experience. Thanks for the write up. Does anyone know if there is any place close to the experience that Shawn received in the Southeastern US? I would love to do something like this, but can't afford too much travel.

I think True Spec is the US equivalent, not sure about locations though.

http://www.truespecgolf.com

- sent from space

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Yeah....I'm just going to need them to open one in NC....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

booked a driving fitting for next weekend, your review has me all fired up. Well written.

Max

Driver - TM R11 8* Fujikara Motore F3 TP 80 :taylormade-small:

Irons - TM TP forged (2005) 2-PW DG X100 :taylormade-small:

Wedges - Scratch 1018 54 + 61 DG X 100    :scatch-golf-1:

Putter - Ping Redwood Blade   :ping-small:

Ball - Nike RZN Black  :nike-small:

Max,

Thanks for the kind words and good luck! The group up there is amazing and well worth visiting! Let us know how it goes!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

How were the cost of the clubs? Pretty close to retail or was there an upcharge?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

They were expensive because of how they're billed. You pay for the head and the shafts separate. I haven't directly compared the cost of each shaft upgrade on top of the cost of the clubs If I would have bought them all separately. I feel that with what I did I payed close to market price for the set, if anything maybe a little more. It's totally worth it though for the build quality and attention to detail they gave my clubs though!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Did a driver fitting yesterday, wrote about my experience if anyone is interested. Bear with me, first time writing something like this.

- Max

Max we would love to hear about it! Are you planning on posting it in this thread or in one of your own?

Excited to hear your take!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Randy nevermind, I found the thread! I'm going to read over it now. Thanks for the write up!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I started a new thread, in the product reviews if you would like to check it out

It's either bad batch of balls or you just don't compress Snell balls the same as you do other brands. Looking at my numbers from the recent Nike ball testing they're right on par, and I'll say my Titleist numbers are right in line with those.

I wouldn't read too much into it, this is precisely why there's different brands of balls for different players.

attachicon.gifpost-872-0-15271700-1467737494_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-872-0-29852400-1467737507_thumb.jpg

My thoughts exactly

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well I just got word that I won a twitter contest for a free Modern Golf fitting. Will be getting that scheduled and will absolutely post my thoughts on their work. Will be going for a new driver and hoping to evaluate loft/lie/shaft/yardage gaps in my irons and wedges. Should be fun!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Awesome news and congratulations! Enjoy the fitting and please make sure to update us with how it goes! 

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Now that's what I call a fitting. I really want to find a place that has that many shaft options to try. That's an amazing set you ended up with. I really want to try those Best Grips grips out. I've heard really good things about them. Now to start searching the internet for the best custom club fitting locations in or near South Carolina.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

What was the final damage for the trip? Upwards of $3500?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Hershey it really was a fantastic experience and the differences from one shaft to another and just how much of a change in actual, tangible numbers was amazing. I highly recommend for someone to give an experience like this a shot if they can!

And it was an expensive trip, but I wasn't price gouged or anything. The value that Modern Golf provided me was worth every dollar I spent. It was considerably more than buying in store. That being said, it wasn't nearly the same experience and the quality is second to none!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Now that's what I call a fitting. I really want to find a place that has that many shaft options to try. That's an amazing set you ended up with. I really want to try those Best Grips grips out. I've heard really good things about them. Now to start searching the internet for the best custom club fitting locations in or near South Carolina.

club champion is in Atlanta. Thinking of going there and trying them out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks! I'll have to check them out.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

• 4 weeks later...

Did my fitting today. Was an unreal experience. I will put together a full write-up for tomorrow, but I had a great time! Great store, great experience and I was able to unlock a level of performance I did not think existed. It was absolutely mind-blowing the results I got from a proper fit. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Excited to hear what you think man! I agree with that assessment. Haha.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Archived