Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Member DIY Club Restores/Refurbs/Refinishes

Start on something cheap! ;)

The old TP Mills putters are cheap, but made of carbon steel, and they are amazing putters to take to the course.

Not sure what sort of advice you are looking for, but there are several guys on here that can help!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

A media blasting cabinet would be a great purchase if you plan to do these.

A dremel with some sanding drums and wheels is also good.

If you plan to torch these for color (simpler than setting up to do powder coat or pvd finishes), you can get a cheap torch nozzle in the plumbing aisle at the hardware store, along with the small propane bottle to screw it onto. You'll also need the torch to heat the epoxy where the shaft and head are joined - lots easier to deal with the head alone than have the whole club to deal with.

The most important thing is patience (which I don't have)...

The old TP Mills putters are cheap, but made of carbon steel, and they are amazing putters to take to the course.

Not all of them are carbon; some are stainless.  Best way to tell is if the putter is rusty or do the magnet test.

Thanks @aliens8mycow. I actually found one in my area earlier today for cheap. I mostly need help learning the process and then I know practicing it will help me hone my skills.

Refinishing isn't that hard.  Best advice I got was to go slow and not take too much material.   The couple I have done were all handsanded with various grits of sandpaper from like 200- 2000.   When actually applying finish,  make sure you have cleaned the putter well.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@ballenbrandon sure!

Prep is everything - it's the difference between a good/great job for sure. I'm impatient as they come, so it's hard for me to prep the right way, but it's worth it.

Sanding:

You'll want to start with ~120 grit and work the putter until you've gotten a majority of the dings/dents/scratches out. If it has really deep dents, hand filing before sanding isn't a bad idea. Then you move up to 400 grit, and repeat with 1,000 grit (1 dry/1 wet), then 2,000 grit (1dry)

Wear some gloves while you sand. It's nasty.

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

I think it's better to do everything by hand for the most part. I've used dremel in past to try to make the work go faster and it's too easy to nick the collet on the putter, etc...

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

After sanding is done... I'll move on to polishing most of the time. I prefer flitz polish which can be bought on amazon, but in a pinch I've used the white diamond stuff from wal-mart and it works just fine. Hand polishing with a microfiber cloth is sufficient, and the shinier you get it, the more color you're going to see from torching. Some of my favorite work has been from slowly working polish all over the putter until it's "mirrored".

When you're done here, it's time to clean the head for torching.

I've been lucky enough to have access to a grinder and high speed polisher with different material heads at work, so I can go back to the shop at lunch time.

However, for these re-refinishes, I did hand sand , 80, 120, 400 , 1000, 1500.

For the gun blued putter, i stopped at 400 grit, and after I rubbed/massaged the bluing agent in with gloved hands, i scrubbed it in with 0000 steel wool before and while rinsing it, repeating that process 2x.

After lint free towel drying, and letting dry overnight without any rusting, I massaged silicone spray to seal it, wiping with another lint free cloth.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I have a grinder now as well, but in the beginning it was all hand sanding all the time

One of the '16 Newport 2's done for a buddy's daughter who plays high school golf.

IMG_1404.JPGIMG_1403.JPGIMG_1399.JPGIMG_1398.JPGIMG_1407.JPGIMG_1390.JPGIMG_1391.JPGIMG_1388.JPG

Nice work on the Lady Cameron ☝️️

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1560.JPGIMG_1562.JPGIMG_1561.JPGIMG_1564.JPG

This is a roundback I've been tinkering with this week, and finally settled on colors for.

Dude, those are some sick sticks!

I tried DIY a cheap putter once (TM Est 79 I think)

It's a black putter and it had a ding... so I decided to sand it to give it a raw/dirty look. And left it like that. The only thing I could sand was the insert (not even sure what material it is) but it was pretty resistant. Pity, cause it doesn't match the raw metallic look of the putter.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

@kanoito thanks!

'14 Select Squareback (I have an RJB signature model limited run that I'm thinking about doing next)

IMG_1584.JPGIMG_1585.JPGIMG_1587.JPGIMG_1590.JPGIMG_1591.JPG

I need some help. Do any of you guys who've been active in the thread know how to stick weld?

@mcaseym

@aliens8mycow

@ballenbrandon

@fozcycle

@cnosil

+anyone else who may be able to help a total welding n00b

IMG_1604.JPG

I picked up the equipment over the course of this last week. Got a 125a stick welder and jiggered together a welding table. Spent the first two nights not understanding why I'd trip the breaker every time I got an arc struck. So I'm in process of moving rig to draw from a 20 amp circuit, but definitely still have some questions.

Sidenote: this was a sneaky expensive attempt at fixing the necks on two Camerons that I snapped off.

Wish I did, YouTube will

probably be your friend here.

Or if you have any machine shops or welders in your area, might be able to trade some lessons for a putter

Well i finally started an arc, pool, and laid a bead (although it's ugly as sin) I got two pieces of scrap metal welded together. Gonna have to put a few hours in before I try to do this to a putter

I would agree - considering the small pieces, and small bead size needed to weld a neck, it's gonna take some practice!

I've thought about this several times, and always chicken out. I know a few guys who weld, but it's usually on cars or machinery and the welds get ground smooth.

What we're looking at here is tiny, detailed art.

You might need to butcher some old tpm's or something to get a little practice. I recently saw an auction on ebay for about 30 old tpm putters for $300.

I have a closet full of old putters in fact I just got a piece of rebar welded to where the neck used to start on a beat up old anser... it's ugly as hell tho, starts/stops, slag everywhere

I am going to keep watching YouTube vids, welding small pieces of metal together in "t-joints", and give the occasional junker putter a go. I'll know when I'm ready to weld this perfectly twisted plumber to the Monterrey that I inspired me to take up welding.