Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Member DIY Club Restores/Refurbs/Refinishes

You might need to butcher some old tpm's or something to get a little practice. I recently saw an auction on ebay for about 30 old tpm putters for $300

I saw that one too, if only I had th time, a little $$... and people who would buy them. For me, the refinishing is the fun, I don't have a desire to collect a bunch

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I wish I could weld.  I had about a 10 minute TIG welding lesson while doing a tour of my companies facilities and I was horrible.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Get a Tig rig if you want to weld necks.  You'll thank me later.  Stick is a tough choice with the small area

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

@rookieblue7 good call. I've seen some tig torches that hook on to the stinger of the stick welder - I'm not sure if my little welder is up to the task though.

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

I found my old Titleist Dead Center and I've always liked its shape, but its pretty beat up with chunks of paint gone and scratches all over. I figured it would be a good time to dip my toes into the putter restoration game. Any recommendations where to start or how I should go about this?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I don't remember what those dead center heads are made from... either way, step one is to sand/file all of the dents and dings out. So I would start hand standing with 120 grit paper, move up to 400 grit paper, then do a wet sand with 1000, then do a dry sand with 2000. Acetone washes in between grit interval helps clear for a sanding debris and allows you to work on a clean work piece with each grit step. After you get done with your 2000 grit dry sand you'll be ready to polish.

PS buy some good nitrile gloves something that has a decent mil thickness. I like the boxes of black venoms... you can get them at Walmart or Lowes or Home Depot they're like $10 for a box of 50

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

Speaking of giving it a go.... @ballenbrandon - how is your first project coming along?

@xstiffshafts I just finished a second bachelor's this last week so now I have time to start. Trying to get an old tp Mills that someone here in Utah is selling but they won't get back to me. I've got an old Taylormade rossa I'll start on in the next week. I'll keep you posted though. I'm excited to try this.

Since it has a patina, I presume it's copper. I've not done much work on copper. Maybe rb7 can give some insight

Can you post some pics? If it's beryllium copper, don't sand it - it's a heavy metal, and once the dust is inhaled, your body can't process it. It can eventually kill you.

The original copper or bronze can safely be sanded and buffed with a cloth wheel.

I don't think that's becu - it normally gets super dark brown.

Are you sure you want it shiny? You could sand a few nicks out of it, and polish with a cloth wheel - it'll be so shiny that it blinds you in the sun.

You can look up info on the internet, but that probably has the bb in the shaft, which requires drilling the bottom of the cup where the shaft fits in the plumber neck to get the shaft out.

You can still polish these with the shaft on, it's just a little extra frustration. ;)

Quite frankly, for a first attempt, you may be better off taking a run at the dead center. It's carbon steel iirc, and opens up a wide range of refinishing possibilities... you can torch or give black oxide/gun blue a try. Carbon has a huge range of colors when you torch it. Goes from straw, to bronze, some reds, to purple, to an awesome blue, before hitting the end of the spectrum and going almost back.

I may go p/u a dead center tomorrow, would be fun project to have on the shelf.

Well I was wanting to do it shiny because I planned on making it a gift for a buddy from work who is a huge Notre Dame fan and the putter got their color scheme. Maybe instead of shining it up I can try and give it a full shine instead. The dead center really isn't a putter that would look too good, that why it didn't sell very well. Either way you are probably right about the dead center being an easier starting point.

Well I was wanting to do it shiny because I planned on making it a gift for a buddy from work who is a huge Notre Dame fan and the putter got their color scheme. Maybe instead of shining it up I can try and give it a full shine instead. The dead center really isn't a putter that would look too good, that why it didn't sell very well. Either way you are probably right about the dead center being an easier starting point.

Gotcha

So that body is stainless steel that was originally the same color as every "off the rack" Cameron - that tour blasted satin grey. Got that color by heating/torching.

For the ping project, I would go to harbor freight or northern tool and check out their polishing compounds. I bet there's a low-shine abrasive compound that'll do the trick. Emery comes to mind as a compound that has a good abrasive profile, but I think it will give you a little more shine than you're looking for.

Not sure... I've never torched copper. I'll see if I have a beat up anser head I can try it on and give you a trip report

You can torch it for color - things happen a little faster, and i'm not sure if you can get one solid color (maybe with practice?), but it's a pretty cool result on the few that i've tried over the years. That's probably 15-20 years ago since I messed with the old pings.

You can torch it for color - things happen a little faster, and i'm not sure if you can get one solid color (maybe with practice?), but it's a pretty cool result on the few that i've tried over the years. That's probably 15-20 years ago since I messed with the old pings.

I'll give it a go and see what happens, I need to pick up supplies for it today so torching it probably won't happen till tomorrow

I'd been staring at 3 putters ready to be torched for a couple weeks... took a break from (shittily) welding last night and knocked out all 3. Pics coming.

Futura x5

IMG_1691.JPGIMG_1681.JPGIMG_1678.JPGIMG_1702.JPGIMG_1695.JPG

I am debating on whether to use this knuckle on it. I think it may look great.

IMG_1677.JPG

The one on the left... I made the one on the right side, just working on these little welds

Waiting on a sandblaster from a friend, but while I am waiting I am working on a SM5 Vokey wedge for another buddy at work. I've ground the sole down into a V sole of sorts and I'm removing several layers of rust on it. I plan on blueing it as well. Will post pictures once I get it done.