TESTERS WANTED! ×

Member DIY Club Restores/Refurbs/Refinishes

This was a pleasant surprise... I just got this Cameron Circa 62 #1 for super cheap. By the pics, it didn't look beaten up, but I thought I would need to strip it bare and torch it.

IMG_8247.JPGIMG_8248.JPG

Once it arrived, it was in better condition than I thought - a little steel wool, polish, and black paint fill later, I think I'll play this one as is for awhile.

IMG_8244.JPGIMG_8245.JPGIMG_8246.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I am debating on whether to use this knuckle on it. I think it may look great.

attachicon.gifIMG_1677.JPG

The one on the left... I made the one on the right side, just working on these little welds

I saw this on eBay - it looks good with the plumber neck!

This was a pleasant surprise... I just got this Cameron Circa 62 #1 for super cheap. By the pics, it didn't look beaten up, but I thought I would need to strip it bare and torch it.

attachicon.gifIMG_8247.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_8248.JPG

Once it arrived, it was in better condition than I thought - a little steel wool, polish, and black paint fill later, I think I'll play this one as is for awhile.

attachicon.gifIMG_8244.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_8245.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_8246.JPG

Excellent! That's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

I saw this on eBay - it looks good with the plumber neck!

Yeah, I bought a few of them on eBay. That seller is top notch. I've been buying putter shafts, little things like that plumber neck m, etc.. from him all year. One of my favorite dudes in the parts market. This conversion is a little weird... I'm sure it's because I'm using it with a .355 tip instead of on a .270 mallet. It wants to set up closed due to the angle of the post. Had to shave about a quarter inch off that hosel post on the futura to get it right.

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

Well both the wedge and the putter are finally done and painted. The wedge turned out really well and the putter left a bit to be desired. Too many dings and nicks to look very good. I took a side by side comparison of what the wedge looked like before and after I was done with it.

1482699789330.jpg1482699798245.jpg1482699804528.jpg1482699808846.jpg1482699813212.jpg1482699816074.jpg1482699820504.jpg

Wedge looks nice! I also think the anser looks good... you could get some of those dings out by sanding/filing it!0

Wedge looks nice! I also think the anser looks good... you could get some of those dings out by sanding/filing it!0

I agree - on both counts!

I think that is a bit beyond my skill set at this time but it's something nice want to try in the future. I'm happy with the color I got out of the putter. I torched just a bit to get it extra golden which helps hide some of the nicks. The wedge turned out better than I could have hoped it would.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You should be able to hand sand many of the dings out - don't be discouraged if you sand the s*** out of it with 120 and it doesn't look like a night/day diff. It'll continue to look better and better as you progress to the higher grits and polish.

Of course there are some doozies in every project putter that sanding just won't help. I like to hit these with a hand file before I even start sanding. You can get a solid 4-Way Bastard Mill file with a comfortable handle for like

What are your plans for this putter? Torch/black oxide/restore to original? Either way we need to call attn to the insert. Can you pop it out? There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show guys popping odyssey inserts. If it's Cameron style with back screws, that makes it even easier.

Btw, other than a light sanding, I'd generally leave the face alone. You'll sand the face milling off trying to get it uniform.

I see an "elastomer" ring around it though - it'd come out. And I don't know how it could be that color and be the same metal-I'm assuming the body is some flavor of steel, and I'd bet the insert is anodized aluminum.

It's milled into the face so it doesn't come out. It's just a different color but the same metal.

doubt that it is mulled into the face.  Pretty sure that it is an insert that will need to be removed.  

I did a quick google search and most people agree that it is an insert.  If you totally screw up the insert,  there are places you can get a new one: https://www.spryevo.com/shop/insert-store/taylormade/

It is probably aluminum;  Boiling seems to be the preferred way to remove inserts that might be damaged by torch heat.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I try to avoid these...

If boiling doesn't work, you might try torching the back side to loosen up the insert.

I agree that spryevo is the guy for aftermarket inserts.

If the milling isn't super important to you, the entire face could be leveled out as-is (with the insert in place) on a belt sander.

If you plan to torch it for color, the insert needs to cone out anyway though.

Here's the signature series model 9 that I was thinking about doing.

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

Any more ideas guys? I heated up the back insert and the badge and back insert came out but I can't get the face to come out. Tried boiling it and prying it out, didn't work. Tried getting my heat gun on it for a good 7-8 minutes that didn't help either. Image1483046147.192381.jpgImage1483046197.343364.jpg

My thoughts are: the insert is probably not going to come out without destroying it.

You could heat it and pry it, then talk with spryevo about a nice carbon fiber replacement.

Or, leave it in and sand the whole face down (which would remove the milling, but at least get it all even again).

There are also a lot of companies that can mill the face for you if you really want it redone after you get it flat. They don't charge a lot either.

Here are a couple of the things I've been working on.

I'm thinking about getting an insert cut for this N2 detour out of GSS or 303 and creating the "bore thru insert look"

IMG_1892.JPGIMG_1885.JPGIMG_1894.JPG

Also - I shot at the range with a buddy last night. He's seen many of my putters and we decided to torch the chamber/Cylinder on his judge public defender. It was nerve wracking. Can anyone say residual lead/carbon/gunpowder

IMG_1881.JPG

Select 2.6 torched with pvd coating left on.

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

Select 2.6 torched with pvd coating left on.

Damn, that is awesome! Love the look

Of the bronzed circles,

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Well here's where I'm at right now on my first refinish. (Please pardon the old glue that I haven't cleaned out of where the insert and badge go)

Before:IMG_2631.JPGIMG_2632.JPGIMG_2633.JPGIMG_2634.JPGIMG_2635.JPG

After:IMG_2698.JPGIMG_2699.JPGIMG_2700.JPGIMG_2701.JPGIMG_2702.JPG

I'm thinking of a darker finish our torching it and putting one of the milled copper inserts from spryevo into it. What do you think?

Looking good!!! This is where I usually get in a hurry... make sure it's as perfect as you can get it before finishing, and be sure to degrease it before torching. If you have to handle it, hold the tip that fits inside the shaft or your fingerprints will show.

My vote is to torch it! If it's stainless steel, gold or bronze is probably as dark as it'll get without a ton of heat. Carbon steel will quickly go past that and turn purple, blue, and then black.

I use a block of wood with a hole in it, and flip the head upside down so it sticks up to torch. That one has a short neck - might want to use a 6 or 8 inch piece of shaft to get it up where you have room to work with it. If that doesn't make sense, I can post a pic.