Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Member DIY Club Restores/Refurbs/Refinishes

Do you guys contact spryevo through MGS or through an email? I have a question about the insert I need to get for my restore. What way have you guys had the most success contacting him?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I just went to Spryevo.com and clicked, contact us, there is a little form to fill out and then it will send through email. They returned an email very quickly I think it was the next day.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Thinking about taking on this old Scotty for my first project. A lot of the black finish is intact with some pitting. I'm not at all concerned about maintaining the original finish. What direction would you take this head, Xstiff?

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I might avoid that head due to the pitting on the face... having seen some torched/oil sealed C62s that are really well done, it'd be tempting... but I've also done one that was in about the same condition, mine may have been a little better, and due to the pitting, it made even pretty good work look just "meh". Find a good stainless head for project 1, no sealant worries that way, and can get a feel for the stainless heat coloring process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

I might avoid that head due to the pitting on the face... having seen some torched/oil sealed C62s that are really well done, it'd be tempting... but I've also done one that was in about the same condition, mine may have been a little better, and due to the pitting, it made even pretty good work look just "meh". Find a good stainless head for project 1, no sealant worries that way, and can get a feel for the stainless heat coloring process.

Sound advice, much appreciated.

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

I might disagree at least a little...

I would try some silicon spray or 3in1 oil. Rub it in with some #### steel wool. Hard to tell from the pics, but that might be enough to surprise you.

If the pits are all the way to the metal, you can rub it down with some gun blue to touch it up.

Worth a shot - you have nothing to lose!

Yeah I mean when I hear pitting, I think of tiny little holes in the surface of the metal that have occurred with corrosion - if there's not any metal damage, it's definitely worth a try... if you already own the putter, it's definitely a green light... if buying to refurb, maybe take a pass on this one.

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

If it's going to be a gamer, a little character won't hurt - I use this circa daily:

Before:

IMG_8247.JPG

After silicon spray and steel wool (and some black paint fill):

IMG_8244.JPG

I might disagree at least a little...

I would try some silicon spray or 3in1 oil. Rub it in with some #### steel wool. Hard to tell from the pics, but that might be enough to surprise you.

If the pits are all the way to the metal, you can rub it down with some gun blue to touch it up.

Worth a shot - you have nothing to lose.

If it's going to be a gamer, a little character won't hurt - I use this circa daily:

Before/After silicon spray and steel wool (and some black paint fill.

When I was trying to absorb _the entire thread_ last night (was dreaming about Xstiffshafts' Scottys), the before/after of your gamer is the reason I selected this one from the collection as my first attempt. I assumed removing the current finish would be a giant PITA and while there are several spots pitting, the areas on the face and top relief are really shallow. I'd probably game it on really fast greens if the rust didn't put me off. The sole is the worst. But the head has zero dingers. There is also no chance I would ever sell my first refurb project.

Considering all those things, my vision:

Sole - sand, polish, maybe hammer?

Face/Top-relief - Restore?

Paintfill - all electric blue (maybe blank the sole)

Can I get a two tone effect (polished grey sole/black face, etc)?

Thanks for the advice guys.

This sonbitch was one of the more frustrating projects to this point, but turned out to be worth it.

Machine M10-Adjuster:

XC3Tf7m.jpg

4zbxo1f.jpg

gvnu6zk.jpg

WfKUjc7.jpg

Aq6Mv1E.jpg

Aq6Mv1E.jpg

Nice job xstiff, what do you do with them when you are finished?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

You can remove the finish without much trouble. If you have a dremel, these will do the trick nicely:

IMG_8593.JPG

Way up this thread, I posted 2 studio design putters (#1 and #2) that I stripped with these buff wheels, then torched.

And honestly - the best part about that putter is the top line! Hard to find them without a ton of dings!

Just get after it and learn as you go - if you don't like the result, strip it down and try it again!

Nice job xstiff, what do you do with them when you are finished?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I keep more of them than I should under the auspicious of "I'll game this, for sure"... but I don't play enough any more to make good on it. The others, I'll sell on eBay/other secondary markets.

Can you remind me which putter you have, and do you know whether it's carbon or stainless? (Hint: If you don't, just put a magnet against the head. If it sticks or has any pull: carbon - if not: likely stainless)

Cool. Then in that case you can torch it to daaaaaaaark blue almost black (see newport TeI3 head I posted a few weeks ago) then just quench it, while still hot right after torching, in motor oil or 2-cycle oil or even liquid wrench oil to seal it. You just have to be able to entirely submerge the head in the quench. It will also darken during the quench - if you blast it prior to torching, it will be a matte finish. If you polish it will be glossy.

Something rather exciting happened to me on Thursday. I got the chance to meet with Dave Billings (founder and maker of Machine Putter/Dogleg Right) and it looks like I'm going to get the chance to do some finishing work for him over the next few months. I left on Thursday with 3 heads. 2 raw carbon M1As and a raw stainless "upside down putter" I don't remember the official model name for it. So I've been working on those for the last couple days. There are a few projects I finished this week that I haven't gotten around to posting, but I'll get some pics up soon.

I'm def interested to see how Mr KorADoor's ping turned out. Looking forward to photos of the finished product!

Side note: I played for the first time in forever this week and used my kickass new ball marker from "ExtraterrestrialsDinedOnMyLivestock". I also marked the ball of a notoriously slow player in our group with it more than once... (it says "LETS GO, THIS AINT AUGUSTA" on it)

The upside down putter is a prototype. It's one he and Hank Haney designed together for Tiger and was going to be released under the name Stevenson Golf. I've got one at the house

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Hey guys, I was directed to this thread for help with my new acquisition.

Trying to see what is needed for my Odyssey Ti-Hot # 2. Question is can you remove finish with Tal-strip or equivalent or is blasting the only method? 

Thanks for the help!

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Taylormade M2 15*  
Callaway XR OS Hybrid 19* 
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 3 50*, 54*, & 60*
Cleveland Huntington Beach # 1
Ball: Taylormade Project (a)
@usmc23112

You can remove the finish without much trouble. If you have a dremel, these will do the trick nicely:

attachicon.gifIMG_8593.JPG

Way up this thread, I posted 2 studio design putters (#1 and #2) that I stripped with these buff wheels, then torched.

I think this one should be possible too - at least worth a try!

Should work just fine. If no Dremel, you can hand sand at 120/400/1000 grits and that'll do the trick.

Should work just fine. If no Dremel, you can hand sand at 120/400/1000 grits and that'll do the trick.

Problem is the the milled face, correct, the finish is also on face. I was thinking tal-strip. DO you think that would work?

Thanks!

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Taylormade M2 15*  
@usmc23112

I don't know. I highly doubt tal strip will strip anything but paint. In order to refinish, you want to try to get to raw metal or as close as possible. The face can take being sanded, just go easy on it - the goal is to remove the finish, not the texture of the milling.

M2A Converter w/ Welded Flow Neck and Fatback Flange:

GslLsuN.jpg

MuUK77M.jpg

yVJGHg2.jpg

GNwx06k.jpg

Here are a few that I haven't gotten posted yet

K9kuRzk.jpg

DqRt8n1.jpg

Njb6nWE.jpg

35cOaKr.jpg

SzkcF9N.jpg

arcx58q.jpg

tkAMkyx.jpg

HLjKTmD.jpg

cYQh2XK.jpg

HiyaF9z.jpg

I finished the cleaning this weekend. I will post pics of the paintfill later. I took it back to original red on Odyssey symbols and the #2 but black on all lettering. I used simple aerosol paint remover from Walmart and it removed the coating down to the metal.

20170303_202537.jpg
20170303_202537.jpg
20170303_202545.jpg
20170303_202554.jpg

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Taylormade M2 15*  
@usmc23112