TESTERS WANTED! ×

Member DIY Club Restores/Refurbs/Refinishes

It's incredible! Did you take before pics?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have them on my phone and unfortunately I still cannot post pics through the app. Will post them in the morning when I get to the office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I wish I knew more about restoring/refinishing putters. This is something I've always been intrigued with, just don't know much about it.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I wish I knew more about restoring/refinishing putters. This is something I've always been intrigued with, just don't know much about it.

You just have to ruin a few cheapies while you learn!

http://www.instagram.com/libertyballmarkers

Great looking clubs

Thanks for starting this forum post

*pats self on back*

Seriously though,

Great looking refurbs, RB7!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

It's incredible! Did you take before pics?

I'll have some somewhere I'm sure just have to dig them up. It seriously looked like it was drug down a cartpath. JMike rescued it from the previous owner lol

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Here are some of the before pictures.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

This is as close as I can get to the original finish on the old school Cameron oilcan classics.

9mALMcO.jpg

PYQqqka.jpg

QP7lcAp.jpg

This was in real rough shape when I picked it up, but I only have one pic from then, unfortunately.

OSaTbjd.jpg

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

RB7 chimes in with multiple masterpieces as always haha!

Xstiffshafts, great work keep it up, on suggestion would be to invest in a glass bead blaster, the finish will be much more uniform,blast it after sanding then torch.

RB7 chimes in with multiple masterpieces as always haha!

Xstiffshafts, great work keep it up, on suggestion would be to invest in a glass bead blaster, the finish will be much more uniform,blast it after sanding then torch.

Yeah man I have a blasting cabinet. And occasionally will blast b4 heating if I'm going for a muted, satin finish. Though the idea on the latest finish was to try to replicate (as closely as possible) the oilcan finish that this was originally finished in. I don't have a plating setup or bluing tank, so it's been a lot of trial and error to try to get that mix of blues and browns that was Cameron's best finish imo. Anyway it's intentionally uneven, at least the most recent post is.

Good looking out on the suggestion tho. Thanks man!

Pic of original finish I think.

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/B0nZ69/media/newport/DSC05357.jpg.html

This is the occ original finish: https://www.scottycameron.com/archives/putters/1998/oil-can-classics/newport/

It's not done by torching and quenching in oil. It's a bluing salt treatment that's a combination of black and brown oxides

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Right... clearly not a torch job. I went with Birchwood Casey Plum Brown, then a cold bluing on top of that, then sealed.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I found out that Nike used little stickers to fill the numbers on the sole of my Vapor Pro Combos. Not sure if it's actually a sticker, or if the paint just turned out to be able to come off as a solid piece. Anyways, a couple of my irons no longer had black filling in the number on the sole. I'm the type of personality where this bothers me, so I set out to do some reading to find out the easiest/cheapest way to make them black again.

I stumbled upon a video that Anthony Taranto did where he showed a little behind the scenes look of how he makes the custom wedges. The guy leading the video asked him about an easy way for people who want to learn how to customize their wedges, and he said Sharpie Oil Based pens were the easiest way to paint fill. I picked up a black ultra fine tip from a local office supply store for $2.50 and set out to make my irons look complete again.

Wow, this stuff is easy to use! I used it along with a little nail polish remover from my girlfriend (it has acetone in it) and they came out great.

rX6ik3E.jpg

One of those is original and one of them was done by me. I don't think anyone will know the difference from far away, super happy!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Perfect! See how easy this stuff is? ;)

The sharpies work great, as well as Testor's enamel paints (pen, bottle, whatever).

Good call on the acetone nail polish remover!

If you plan to do a bunch of paint fill, I'd recommend getting a can of mineral spirits - same result, less money, and smells better.

Perfect! See how easy this stuff is? ;)

The sharpies work great, as well as Testor's enamel paints (pen, bottle, whatever).

Good call on the acetone nail polish remover!

If you plan to do a bunch of paint fill, I'd recommend getting a can of mineral spirits - same result, less money, and smells better.

Honestly, I got lucky with the nail polish remover. I realized when I got home last night that I didn't have anything to remove the excess, and lucked out that her nail polish remover had acetone. My mind was blown at how easy it was. Did a test drive with my gap wedge from my set because I don't get along with that club anyways, and it came out great and gave me the confidence to do the other clubs.

If anyone goes the sharpie route, just make sure that if you're doing a color that isn't black or white, that you bleed some of the paint out because the color when it first comes out of the pen is not the same as the end product. For example, in the video Anthony was going to use a light blue color, think the color of the OKC Thunder. When he first started, the color was more of a dark Royal blue. So he just kept letting paint out until it eventually turned out correct. Just a little tip for everyone! (pun intended)

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

• 1 month later...

These putters look Awesome- I would (almost) be afraid to use them...

So, has anyone done restoration work on an iron set?  I have a full set of the 1960's Wilson Dyna-Powered Irons - they were my dad's- and I would love to see them cleaned up and restored- I can re-grip them but would be hesitant to get to grinding or sanding without knowing what  I was doing.

No urgency, just a nice to have thing.  I cant play them- they are too damn small and incredibly unforgiving!

Thanks

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

These putters look Awesome- I would (almost) be afraid to use them...

So, has anyone done restoration work on an iron set? I have a full set of the 1960's Wilson Dyna-Powered Irons - they were my dad's- and I would love to see them cleaned up and restored- I can re-grip them but would be hesitant to get to grinding or sanding without knowing what I was doing.

No urgency, just a nice to have thing. I cant play them- they are too damn small and incredibly unforgiving!

Thanks

I've done them before but if there's sentimental value, don't skimp. Send them to Jim Kronus at The Iron Factory. He's hands down the best in the business with chrome and factory style refinishes. That's why OEM's recommend him

In The Bag

Thanks - After looking ah his website, I may not only get the set of Dyna-Powered done, but also my current sand wedge, which actually came from that set.  a 1962 Wilson Sandy Andy, it has no grooves left, and very little chrome- may get it regrooved and rechromed.

Thanks (I knew this was gonna cost me!!!)

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

• 7 months later...

So, I found out that Nike used little stickers to fill the numbers on the sole of my Vapor Pro Combos. Not sure if it's actually a sticker, or if the paint just turned out to be able to come off as a solid piece. Anyways, a couple of my irons no longer had black filling in the number on the sole. I'm the type of personality where this bothers me, so I set out to do some reading to find out the easiest/cheapest way to make them black again.

I stumbled upon a video that Anthony Taranto did where he showed a little behind the scenes look of how he makes the custom wedges. The guy leading the video asked him about an easy way for people who want to learn how to customize their wedges, and he said Sharpie Oil Based pens were the easiest way to paint fill. I picked up a black ultra fine tip from a local office supply store for $2.50 and set out to make my irons look complete again.

Wow, this stuff is easy to use! I used it along with a little nail polish remover from my girlfriend (it has acetone in it) and they came out great.

rX6ik3E.jpg

One of those is original and one of them was done by me. I don't think anyone will know the difference from far away, super happy!

Any way that you could link the video on here? Thanks!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Haven't posted in this thread in a while... had a few projects since my last share. I'm not really doing putters for others anymore unless I know them or they've been past customers. I just don't really have the time...

Anyway, first up is my current gamer. This one was worked over extensively... it's just oily is why it looks shiny. I use oil to set that finish.

0561DE13-68C2-48FC-AA48-99245054240D_zps

49343A7F-AFEA-48FC-A6C4-64A5735ED843_zps

3DEA7BB9-D347-4190-8A6B-D9C2CAC07E41_zps

Other projects:

C5384851-6EDA-49CE-AB84-D9D3B0388077_zps

A110D982-F437-47DA-A25E-8FB7483E4E2D_zps

7372300E-FF20-4DD6-B7D1-545E9A3B9D14_zps

C73B4C16-BEF8-4C84-8BC7-DD44FCFC0BFD_zps

C2356B4F-1406-49FC-8587-523533AB9808_zps

2F0944CA-ABA2-4649-910E-E31828E748D8_zps

7E572108-897F-48BC-B87D-ED06A68E7FD2_zps

EF908613-F2EA-4EDF-B54D-2DD096F21977_zps

In The Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in this thread in a while... had a few projects since my last share. I'm not really doing putters for others anymore unless I know them or they've been past customers. I just don't really have the time...

Anyway, first up is my current gamer. This one was worked over extensively... it's just oily is why it looks shiny. I use oil to set that finish.

0561DE13-68C2-48FC-AA48-99245054240D_zps

49343A7F-AFEA-48FC-A6C4-64A5735ED843_zps

3DEA7BB9-D347-4190-8A6B-D9C2CAC07E41_zps

Other projects:

C5384851-6EDA-49CE-AB84-D9D3B0388077_zps

A110D982-F437-47DA-A25E-8FB7483E4E2D_zps

7372300E-FF20-4DD6-B7D1-545E9A3B9D14_zps

C73B4C16-BEF8-4C84-8BC7-DD44FCFC0BFD_zps

C2356B4F-1406-49FC-8587-523533AB9808_zps

2F0944CA-ABA2-4649-910E-E31828E748D8_zps

7E572108-897F-48BC-B87D-ED06A68E7FD2_zps

EF908613-F2EA-4EDF-B54D-2DD096F21977_zps

What products would I use to get the dark finish on the two blades posted here? I've got an Odyssey black #3(the silver milled face version) that I would like to finish in that dark color.

• 4 months later...

Really nice stuff guys. I'll post up some picks of the refinishing I gave my Mizuno bc1 by bettinardi. Flamed it. Saw this treat and really like some work done here. Very nice

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

As promised...here's the flamed putter pictures.

IMG_4309.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4309.JPG

IMG_4310.JPG

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag