#466 yungkory

yungkory

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 358 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI
  • Handicap:12

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

So, I found out that Nike used little stickers to fill the numbers on the sole of my Vapor Pro Combos. Not sure if it's actually a sticker, or if the paint just turned out to be able to come off as a solid piece. Anyways, a couple of my irons no longer had black filling in the number on the sole. I'm the type of personality where this bothers me, so I set out to do some reading to find out the easiest/cheapest way to make them black again.

I stumbled upon a video that Anthony Taranto did where he showed a little behind the scenes look of how he makes the custom wedges. The guy leading the video asked him about an easy way for people who want to learn how to customize their wedges, and he said Sharpie Oil Based pens were the easiest way to paint fill. I picked up a black ultra fine tip from a local office supply store for $2.50 and set out to make my irons look complete again.

Wow, this stuff is easy to use! I used it along with a little nail polish remover from my girlfriend (it has acetone in it) and they came out great.

rX6ik3E.jpg

One of those is original and one of them was done by me. I don't think anyone will know the difference from far away, super happy!

Driver:  :callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5 HZRDUS 6.0 55g

3w:  :callaway-small: XR16 Fuji Speeder Evo 565 S

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:  2017 M2 22o

Irons 5-PW:  :nike-small:  Vapor Pro Combo

Wedges:  :callaway-small:  MD3 52.10, 56.10 & 60.08

Putter: Evnroll ER7

Lucky MGS tester of the  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tours

#467 Liberty Ball Markers

Liberty Ball Markers

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationLiberty, MO
  • Handicap:7.1

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Perfect! See how easy this stuff is? ;)

The sharpies work great, as well as Testor's enamel paints (pen, bottle, whatever).

Good call on the acetone nail polish remover!

If you plan to do a bunch of paint fill, I'd recommend getting a can of mineral spirits - same result, less money, and smells better.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

#468 yungkory

yungkory

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 358 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI
  • Handicap:12

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

Perfect! See how easy this stuff is? ;)

The sharpies work great, as well as Testor's enamel paints (pen, bottle, whatever).

Good call on the acetone nail polish remover!

If you plan to do a bunch of paint fill, I'd recommend getting a can of mineral spirits - same result, less money, and smells better.

Honestly, I got lucky with the nail polish remover. I realized when I got home last night that I didn't have anything to remove the excess, and lucked out that her nail polish remover had acetone. My mind was blown at how easy it was. Did a test drive with my gap wedge from my set because I don't get along with that club anyways, and it came out great and gave me the confidence to do the other clubs.

If anyone goes the sharpie route, just make sure that if you're doing a color that isn't black or white, that you bleed some of the paint out because the color when it first comes out of the pen is not the same as the end product. For example, in the video Anthony was going to use a light blue color, think the color of the OKC Thunder. When he first started, the color was more of a dark Royal blue. So he just kept letting paint out until it eventually turned out correct. Just a little tip for everyone! (pun intended)

Driver:  :callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5 HZRDUS 6.0 55g

3w:  :callaway-small: XR16 Fuji Speeder Evo 565 S

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:  2017 M2 22o

Irons 5-PW:  :nike-small:  Vapor Pro Combo

Wedges:  :callaway-small:  MD3 52.10, 56.10 & 60.08

Putter: Evnroll ER7

Lucky MGS tester of the  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tours

#469 CoachMaas

CoachMaas

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:24 PM

Attached File  IMG_5282.PNG   304.79KB   11 downloads
Ping Anser WTi

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      19 Jul
    DutchSpy

In my Ogio silencer bag I stash the following clubs: Driver TM R11S/ Fujicura blur 45 gr , 3,5,7W TM Burner, Irons 5-sw TM Rbladez, Lob TM 60 rac, Putter Odussee Metal-x, balls Pinnacle Gold

• Photo
      17 Jul
    liv2golf

Anyone have the Srixon Z565 or Z765 driver in play? Thinking of moving to the Srixon from my Titleist and was wondering what everyone's opinion was.

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors